Home

Oblivion [warning: contains some spoilers]

Fuu

hehe, well, i finaly bit the bullet and bought the game. unfortunately, i'm going to wait for the new video card (GF7800GS), powersupply, a new CPU cooler, and a new motherboard to come in before i play it. in anticipation of playing it, though, i did install it and run a HD defrag so that everything is ready.

and i have to say that i'm quite satisfied with the new hardware i'm getting. it may not be top of the line, but its hard to argue with a mere $400 price tag vs at least $1500 for a brand new machine. :^:

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

$280 for the GF7800GS (off of Ebay). the rest of the stuff is for AMD Socket A mobo's since i'm still using a Barton 3200XP. the main reason for that stuff is simple: CPU overclocking. i would've jumped for a water cooling unit, but that's probably just a tad overboard. still, it should make all the difference to make the game run fairly close performance wise with some of the top of the line systems.

and like i said, its hard to argue with a mere $400. :D

Yeah I had to get one too. The crappy part: Dell sent me the wrong motherboard (and card) when I ordered my compie and I ended up with an AGP slot insted of PCI-E. Needless to say I still ended up paying about $300 for my AGP nVidia Ge Force 7800. (I tried running Ob. on my original nVidia Ge Force 5200 but it was so slow I couldnt even get through character creation.)

Even this isin't enough however, my 512MB DDR RAM Runs the game but I have to restart my computer after 2 hours of gameplay because Ob. starts lagging out hard. The next time I get paid I plan on throwing a couple memory stick in and upgrading to Gig. Hopefully this will do the trick.

I wish I knew where to get stuff cheap, but I really dont have time to shop around. Hopefully I won't end up spending more than $500 ( total, inc what I've spent on the game and my graphics card.) Thats the only major problem with technology. It's outdated the second you buy it. XD

Lol, @ least I have a good job to pay for all my fun toys! Now if only I didn't have to work my butt off to get paid. Only 1 hr 45 to go, pray I make it without my head exploding.

Fuu

^^^^

Newegg is where i get most of my computer parts simply due to the fact that run a bit cheaper, and they have fantastic shipping discounts (my heatsink, mobo, and powersupply only cost $8 for shipping even with 3-day shipping via UPS).

i occasionally go to Ebay or Froogle to see if i can get a better deal on the more expensive parts. if you get stuff from either of those two sources, check the seller's record and verify the payment addresses before you buy since you can rarely run into bootleg operations. another thing to be aware of is that shipping costs are going to run higher. my video card, for example, was $12 for shipping.

anyways, if you do happen to buy parts later, i hope that helps you out a bit. ;)

hey, does anyone know how to add new items to the game yet, I checked the wiki and it didn't help... I created a new sword and enchant script for it but I can't seem to get it in the game... I open the console to add the item but keep getting an error messege, it says:

Script 'SysWindowCompileAndRun' Line 1, Item ******** not found for Parameter Object ID

I thought I covered every thing, but maybe there's an object list some where that I need to add the ID to?

hey, does anyone know how to add new items to the game yet, I checked the wiki and it didn't help... I created a new sword and enchant script for it but I can't seem to get it in the game... I open the console to add the item but keep getting an error messege, it says:

Script 'SysWindowCompileAndRun' Line 1, Item ******** not found for Parameter Object ID

In the console, type...

player.AddItem ID Amount

...where ID is the object ID of the item you wish to give, and Amount is how many to give. Note that this is not the text Editor-id of the item shown in the first column in the editor (unlike in Morrowind), but the hexadecimal numerical, 8 digit Form ID shown in the column to the right of it, that is collapsed as default in the editor window (drag in the titlebar to expand it).

For example, to give yourself 100 gold (the gold001 item) you'd type:

player.AddItem 0000000F 100

@Chainz, Did that shrine look like something from a japanese restaurant?;)

And yes, the trail was a dead giveaway. Although, the quest must be pretty important to have an entire mountain range wasted on devoted to it?

You're PC is an elf, and still looks more like you than mine does me:lol:

@Stoffe, I missed that chest, but the countess did provide a key, and I don't recall needing one for the fortress. Maybe there was a key hidden inside somewhere?

Like Tupac said, you need to find the watch captain, then (it's a good rule of thumb with everyone) get his disposition up. If you can't find the captains, they're the guys in armor most shiny;)

oh, and...

Watch your back and be ready if you wait for an extended period of time, after you put the guard away he escapes through the tunnel in your cell, and tries to hunt you and the other merchants...

I waited in the market one day and woke up with a bunch of people fighting him while he was stabbing me:rofl:

@RAV, I still like kotor better because of the story and characters [[influence Gained, w00t]] but I wish kotor could be include much of Ob's features. Most importantly the scale, it's Star Wars, it's not supposed to be claustrophobic;)

Why upgrade? !360! ;) You don't need mods, you need sunlight:lol:

I finally got the madstone for the countess... turns out the next landmark was ONLY LIKE 30 FREAKING FEET AWAY!!!! behind a few trees *looks for really dramatic rolleye smiley* From the diary I figured the guy must have traveled a long way, he must have just been a little to emo to say how short and incredibly easy the journey was. I was looking for it between the northwest mountain ranges, where I did conveniently find the shrine to the emperor of seafood (really, who climbs a mountain to worship a sea creature???)

Why are ogres such wusses??? The skeletons were pretty easy too, except for the fact that they spend 95% of their "life" in Block stance:xp:

I think I'm going to hire Stinger to be my accountant:D

Hey HS, if I give you $5 and a pack of gum, could you get me a quantum computer with pre installed HalfLife3 and KotorIV???:)

@ ChAiNz: Would you mind PMing me the actual location of Shadowmere? I want to see if i can go steal her without joining the Theives Guild/Dark Brotherhood.
To be honest I don't think Shadowmere exists until you're given the quest(s) :giveup:

If she does exist pre-quests..

I believe that it's Fort Farragut <sp> that would be your best bet...

However, stealing a horse will make her wander off everytime you dismount (without a mod)... and if you do mount while in the presence of anyone, they'll start the whole "Thief!" rigamaroll... if there's an Imperial Guard nearby, prepare to make a run for it ;) Not to worry, Shadowmere can outrun them.. but it would become a hassle after awhile...

In the console, type...

player.AddItem ID Amount

...where ID is the object ID of the item you wish to give, and Amount is how many to give. Note that this is not the text Editor-id of the item shown in the first column in the editor (unlike in Morrowind), but the hexadecimal numerical, 8 digit Form ID shown in the column to the right of it, that is collapsed as default in the editor window (drag in the titlebar to expand it).

For example, to give yourself 100 gold (the gold001 item) you'd type:

player.AddItem 0000000F 100

yeah I've been there and done all that, but still get the error... the editor automatically assigns an Hex code number to each new item you make (the hex # is found in the editor next to the editor ID, I knew this) but when I type in the auto generated Hex # that the editor assigns the new item (into the console, in game) it gives me the error. The hex # it gave me was 010016b4...

any more ideas?

If she does exist pre-quests..

I believe that it's Fort Farragut <sp> that would be your best bet...

Since I happened to stumble upon that place yesterday while exploring the mountainside, waiting for the shops in town to open, I can confirm that there is no horse there unless it's very well hidden.

Speaking of which...

Is there any particular use for the Poisoned Apples that are completely weightless, which has some poison that supposedly bypasses poison resistance? I found 10 of them in a barrel in a room in that Fort, which I assume belongs to someone in the Dark Brotherhood since there was a book with their 5 rules in the bookshelf. They are worth a fair bit of gold, but I am reluctant to sell them in case they play a part in some quest, which weightless items tend to do.

Also, is there any way past the "What is the color of Night?" door in the basement of an abandoned house in the nearby town, or is that area only possible to explore if you are a member of the Dark Brotherhood?

yeah I've been there and done all that, but still get the error... the editor automatically assigns an Hex code number to each new item you make

Worked without any problems the few times I've used it so far.

Perhaps a stupid question, but if it's a custom item, have you remembered to activate that Plugin in the "Data Files" section of the Launcher? AFAIK new plugins are disabled by default.

Worked without any problems the few times I've used it so far.

Perhaps a stupid question, but if it's a custom item, have you remembered to activate that Plugin in the "Data Files" section of the Launcher? AFAIK new plugins are disabled by default.

lol, yes, did that too...

steps I took to create the new item...

1. opened the editor, made new item and enchant script for it

2. saved it (.esp) in the data folder...

3. opened game, checked the plugin, played game...

4. put in code, get error...

5. quit game... opened editor... open, checked .esm, checked .esp, made my .esp active... deleted item and started again... saved

6. repeated step 3 and 4...

did I do something I wasn't supposed to, or not do something I was supposed to?

lol, yes, did that too...

(snip)

did I do something I wasn't supposed to, or not do something I was supposed to?

Strange, from what you have said that should have worked. What text, exactly, did you type into the console to spawn the item?

EDIT: Did you have all your active plugins loaded in the Construction Set when you checked the Form ID? The first two digits are the sequential loading number of your mod, and will thus vary depending on how many mods are loaded. Thus you can only check those if your Construction Set plugin list matches your game's loading list. 00 is the Oblivion.esm file, 01 is the first plugin etc...

Has anyone else tried the quest for the countess of the nord city (crap can't remember the name, starts with B, it's up north)

Done it...you need to get the amulet right?

You need to go to the first checkpoint, a large rock formation. From there, travel west, near a cave. Finish it, walk through the valley, and find your Fort ^^

Strange, from what you have said that should have worked. What text, exactly, did you type into the console to spawn the item?

player.additem 8 digi Hex # count

or more precise

player.additem 01000ce6 1

for some reason I cannot get my item(s) in the game via the console...

I did manage to get it in the game via the cell view window/render window...

I selected an easy access location such as the shack for sale in the Imperial City, right clicked and view, then drag -N- droped it into the render window next to the bed and saved it... when I started the game the item(s) was on the floor waiting for me to grab and use...

although, I'd still like to figure out what the deal is with the console...

If you can't find the captains, they're the guys in armor most shiny;)

oh, and...

Watch your back and be ready if you wait for an extended period of time, after you put the guard away he escapes through the tunnel in your cell, and tries to hunt you and the other merchants...

I waited in the market one day and woke up with a bunch of people fighting him while he was stabbing me:rofl:

I just noticed, though it happened in Bruma and not in the Imperial City. However since it happened in town I...

had to reload and run away from him before he gets in melee range. If he even takes a swing at me, whether it hits or misses, I get fined with a bounty for assault. Not only that, but the guard that fought and killed him turned on me and attacked me as soon as the escaped prisoner was killed (I hadn't done anything at all but stand still and watch). And when I defended myself against the guard and dropped him it made no difference at all for my legal standing, and other nearby guards didn't react to it, but just tried to arrest me for my Assault bounty. Huh?

I think the "legal system" in Oblivion is rather buggy. The above was just the most messed up thing I've seen so far.

Add to that the fact that your Assault record seems to go up if you paralyze someone in battle and then attack them, or attack first against enemies that are obviously hostile (bandits, marauders, vampires) with anything but a sneak attack (which does not increase the Assault record).

And...

not to mention the trespassing thing. For example when I'd just helped free the missing painter in the town to the northeast, his wife said something like "Thank you again, and please enjoy our hospitality". Then the pico-second the dialog ends she shouts with the angry "you are trespassing" voice that I should leave right now. Some hospitality...

Also for some reason anything you pick up in the Mythic Dawn Shrine is recorded as stolen on the "Items Stolen" record, including loot from the bodies of MD hostiles, and the Mysterium Xarxes (which you must take as part of the main quest), even if the "grab hand" is orange, though they have no "red hand" on your inventory screen. My "Items Stolen" record went up from 5 to 250 during my stay there before I noticed that.

Somewhat frustrating. :)

Another unrelated thing, do anyone know what's causing pretty much every NPC to say something like "You look like a sneaky type!" when you walk past them? A high Sneak skill, even though I have a couple of other skills higher?

If so that is ridiculous, what's the point of being good at being stealthy and sneaky if every single commoner can see that you are when you just walk past them (not sneaking)? Sneak is supposed to make you good at going about unnoticed, not make you stand out like a torch on a dark night.

Somewhat annoying since they seem to pick that bark 90% of the time now and say little else. Very repetitive.

Another unrelated thing, do anyone know what's causing pretty much every NPC to say something like "You look like a sneaky type!" when you walk past them? A high Sneak skill, even though I have a couple of other skills higher?

If so that is ridiculous, what's the point of being good at being stealthy and sneaky if every single commoner can see that you are when you just walk past them (not sneaking)? Somewhat annoying since they seem to pick that bark 90% of the time now and say little else. Very repetitive.

I think it might have something to do with the birthsign/class as well as the sneak skill, or it may also have something to do with your disposition... just a thought though...

I agree, it is rather annoying...

I chose the thief - birthsign, assassin class, high elf...

and I hear the "your a sneaky sort" alot...

I think it might have something to do with the birthsign/class as well as the sneak skill, or it may also have something to do with your disposition... just a thought though...

The Class (Sorceress) and Birthsign (The Lady) has been the same since the start of the game, and they've only recently started saying that I look like a sneaky one when they see me.

Also, pretty much anyone I encounter has maxed disposition already, since I've spent lots of time Persuading everyone I've seen. My character has high Personality and Speechcraft skills. Seems like a strange thing to say to someone you find agreeable. :)

I suspect it depends on the Sneak skill but I'm not sure. It could be the "Items stolen" and/or the "Assaults" record as well, since those has a tendency to skyrocket without me doing anything illegal or wrong.

Whatever the case I hope they stop doing it soon, since it's really annoying when everyone, from the lowest beggar, merchants, guards, fellow Blades, to the Counts/Countesses say it whenever they see me all the time. :(

"Thank you for rescuing my son and saving the city.... but you seem like a sneaky type!" :roleyess:

EDIT: Reply to below post added...

it could be your infamy record too or the bounty

I doubt it, I have no bounty on my head and never had one (I just reload a save game if that happens), my Fame rating is 75 and my Infamy rating is 0.

The Class (Sorceress) and Birthsign (The Lady) has been the same since the start of the game, and they've only recently started saying that I look like a sneaky one when they see me.

Also, pretty much anyone I encounter has maxed disposition already, since I've spent lots of time Persuading everyone I've seen. My character has high Personality and Speechcraft skills. Seems like a strange thing to say to someone you find agreeable. :)

I suspect it depends on the Sneak skill but I'm not sure. It could be the "Items stolen" and/or the "Assaults" record as well, since those has a tendency to skyrocket without me doing anything illegal or wrong.

Whatever the case I hope they stop doing it soon, since it's really annoying when everyone, from the lowest beggar, merchants, guards, fellow Blades, to the Counts/Countesses say it whenever they see me all the time. :(

"Thank you for rescuing my son and saving the city.... but you seem like a sneaky type!" :roleyess:

EDIT: Reply to below post added...

I doubt it, I have no bounty on my head and never had one (I just reload a save game if that happens), my Fame rating is 75 and my Infamy rating is 0.

I think you might be right about the sneak skill, however, I don't think they will stop saying it...

but you could try the console code to lower your sneak skill and see if it has any barring on it...

code:

modpcs sneak # (where #, is the level of your sneak skill)

Edit: to lower your sneak # use a negative number to lower by that much (-10 or -30), my bad forgot to mention that part...

hope it does the trick for you... :)

@Well, the benefit of playing Oblivion on 360 is that you don't get mods, which doesn't extend gameplay, allowing you to leave your cave and get sunlight:D

But seriously, I don't know your PC specs, but Oblivion runs well on 360, my only beef was draw distance of detailed objects (grass, weeds, etc. disappear after 100 or so feet, and there really isn't any fog so you can see low res stuff on the other side of the kingdom, I'm not sure how that compares to PC though?) I just noticed a little slowdown earlier but I'm not sure why, I had been playing for a while though so that might affect it. I also use an older monitor/tv so I'm not sure how PC and 360 compare Visually on a high res monitor and HDTV.

@T7, If we aren't the main site and only have one thread to use, don't we have to combine game review, system bug troubleshooting, strategy, and general advice into one lump sum?

@All, What's the best merchant you've found, by how much gold they can spend (I haven't noticed any over $1200 yet?)

And what's the best items you've come across?

@Stoffe[corrupt guards]

Did the entire quest take place in Bruma, or did he follow you there?

If it started in Bruma with a local guard, then it might just be two different but nearly identical quests we're thinking of. If you got the imperial city guard arrested, and then traveled to Bruma, it might be that only the IC guards were programmed to handle it?

Did you try luring him away from the guards to avoid there interference?

As for the sneaky glitch, have you done some modding for the game yet? Could it be that you accidentally changed something?

Although, I hope I get a variation of it, Personality, Agility, and Endurance are some of my highest attributes, so it would be cool if every dialog ended in "sexy!":lol:

So far I haven't seen much of a "Fable" influence:(

Archived