Home

Oblivion [warning: contains some spoilers]

Fuu

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I gotsa' question: I can't seem to get a screenshot, I've done all the .ini tweaks required to take the shot but it's still not working... the question is:

which comes first in your .ini file the "SScreenShotBaseName=Screenshot" or the "iScreenShotIndex=0"?

The only thing I needed to do to be able to make screenshots was to change the bAllowScreenShot setting to 1 in the INI file. Make sure you edit the correct INI file though. It's the one in My Documents\My Games\Oblivion, not the one in the Oblivion game folder itself.

By the way, has anyone else noticed regular town-dwelling NPCs committing crimes in the game? I don't know if it was a scripted sequence or just something random the AI decided to do. Yesterday when my character was in the Tavern in Bruma one of the visiting NPCs took something from a table. The Tavern keeper shouted "Thief!" and the NPC made a beeline for the door. A few seconds later one of the town guards came rushing in, searched the room for a minute or so and then left. :)

The only thing I needed to do to be able to make screenshots was to change the bAllowScreenShot setting to 1 in the INI file. Make sure you edit the correct INI file though. It's the one in My Documents\My Games\Oblivion, not the one in the Oblivion game folder itself.

I have that problem too, no matter what .ini file I edit. It just doesn't work for me no matter the language settings of my keyboard :confused: . I have to use fraps.

By the way, has anyone else noticed regular town-dwelling NPCs committing crimes in the game? I don't know if it was a scripted sequence or just something random the AI decided to do. Yesterday when my character was in the Tavern in Bruma one of the visiting NPCs took something from a table. The Tavern keeper shouted "Thief!" and the NPC made a beeline for the door. A few seconds later one of the town guards came rushing in, searched the room for a minute or so and then left. :)

It's part of their AI package (check the AI tab for each npc).

It happened to me in that same tavern too. Suurootan was sneaking to get food and got caught while I was there. He escaped outside, the guards came after him and some other people started attacking or defending him: the end result was 4 dead npcs...so much for a piece of bread! (I either reload or use the resurrect commeand when this happens. You never know when you loose a npc you will be looking for later, such as trainers.) I noticed several npcs doing this too.

If it's part of their AI packgage to find food at certain times of the day, they'll use whatever means. It seems that they will first take the food that's already in their inventory. I killed some vampire hunters that way: instead of letting them sneak around to get their food or remove all the food from a cell and replacing it with the items I want, I put a poisoined apple in their pockets during lunchtime while they were in a tavern. They all chose the apple instead of sneaking :dev11:

yup, thats the one I edited... although, I tried both and still no dice...

Maybe it has something to do with key bindings???

the index comes before basename in my ini file, is it supposed to be that way, if not then I can switch them, but I don't want to do something that might crash/trash the game... thats why I asked in the prev. post... (ahh, I'll just try it)...

yeah, i've seen it, like D333 said, they are scripted that way, if they have no food in there inventory, they will get it by other means, mostly theft I think... and if I remember right, there are two that do it (at least in Bruma anyway), one I think is your fence in the thieves guild and the other one is a traveling merchant which is involved the Dark Brotherhood...

I have that problem too, no matter what .ini file I edit. It just doesn't work for me no matter the language settings of my keyboard :confused: . I have to use fraps.
To be honest, you're better off using Fraps.. (I'm using it too).

Oblivion's default is fully uncompressed .bmp's.. so if you want to start losing drive space fast.. then stick with Oblivion's system.. hehehe

My screenies were running 6mb apiece! :eek: Give me .png's any day...

Oblivion's default is fully uncompressed .bmp's.. so if you want to start losing drive space fast.. then stick with Oblivion's system.. hehehe

Personally I prefer games that save screenshots in uncompressed format. For some reason they tend to be very dark so I have to brighten them up afterwards with IrfanView to be able to see them. This is harder to do with compressed screenshots since the image quality usually degrades visibly when you re-save them.

With BMP or TGA it's easy to make those adjustments and then save them as JPEG or PNG afterwards and toss away the big original. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I've noticed a few things I'm not quite sure how they are supposed to work, didn't manage to find anything about it in the manual or Wiki. Do anyone here know:

1. What does the Magnitude of the Resist Disease effect correspond to? I assumed it was a percentage, like in Morrowind, where 100 would mean 100% resistance, making Vampires immune to disease. My vampire character has however been diseased several times when fighting wolves, so this seems not to be the case. How do you make someone completely immune to disease?

2. Is the Feather effect broken when assigned to an Ability? It shows up on the Magic Effects tab in-game, but no difference is noticed in carrying capacity whatsoever, unlike what happens when equipping an item enchanted with a Feather effect.

3. I've noticed that some NPCs suddenly get a permanent +100 bonus to all Ability Scores (strength, speed, agility etc...) when coming close to death. This is especially noticable with NPCs flagged as "Essential" (but occurs for other characters too) since they can't be killed and are just knocked unconscious, and the bonuses remain indefinitely when they get back up and are returned to full health.

Countess Alessia Caro zips around like a bolt of lightning with 154 speed after she and her entourage were ambushed by bandits and monsters on the way to Chorrol, and she was knocked unconscious. What governs when this happens? I've not found any special spells, abilities or settings on such NPCs. It's not only players who cheat, apparently NPCs do it too. :)

hehehe, that's funny, NPC's cheating :)

well as far as I can tell there is a noticeable diff. in the feather effect if the value isn't set to something outrageous... when added to items (via Grand Soul Gems) the max value (if I remember right) is 49 pts. but for an ability (spell, if done via editor) I think it tops out at around 250 pts. or something like that... I've noticed that sometimes when it's set so high, that you might have to un-equip the item then re-equip it to notice the changes, if the item was given the feather ability with a really high value...

as far as the other stuff you mentioned I wouldn't have a clue :giveup: sorry...

[*]What does the Magnitude of the Resist Disease effect correspond to?
I really didn't checked how the whole thing is caculated but my vampire imperial pc used to always get sick despite the resist disease 100 granted by vampirism. I changed it to 500 and since then, no diseases.

[*]Is the Feather effect broken when assigned to an Ability? It shows up on the Magic Effects tab in-game, but no difference is noticed in carrying capacity whatsoever, unlike what happens when equipping an item enchanted with a Feather effect.

I tried that too with and without a specific duration, with and without an on/off toggle but no success :( I have no idea why it's doing this... I've tried several otyher effects for my vamp mod but this one just doesn't seem to work :confused:

...and on another subject, for those playing evil PCs, I found out something funny: when your bounty gets high enough (not sure if it's 1k or 5K - I didn't checked the dialogue conditions), all the bandits, necromancers & al. become friendly. It can be useful when you want to loot some dungeons :p

well as far as I can tell there is a noticeable diff. in the feather effect if the value isn't set to something outrageous... when added to items (via Grand Soul Gems) the max value (if I remember right) is 49 pts. but for an ability (spell, if done via editor) I think it tops out at around 250 pts.

I don't think that's the problem, I have a ring than grants 600 pt Feather and it works fine. The thing is, the feather effect works as described when used on Permanent Effect enchanted items, and when applied by cast spells or potions. But when applied via an Ability it seems to do nothing at all, even though the effect is listed on the "Magical Effects on Player" page as usual.

Normally the Feather effect only adds extra carrying capacity equalling to how much weight you already carry, up to at most the listed magnitude. I.e. if you apply a 600 pt Feather effect, but only are encumbered for 200 lbs, the feather effect will only add 200 lbs carrying capacity, not 600 lbs. Thus it pays to re-requip any Feather enchanted items when heavily encumbered to allow them to take full effect. :)

I really didn't checked how the whole thing is caculated but my vampire imperial pc used to always get sick despite the resist disease 100 granted by vampirism. I changed it to 500 and since then, no diseases.

Odd, I wonder if this is intentional or a bug. All the other "Resist..." effects' Magnitude seem to be a percentage where 100 means immunity.

...and on another subject, for those playing evil PCs, I found out something funny: when your bounty gets high enough (not sure if it's 1k or 5K - I didn't checked the dialogue conditions), all the bandits, necromancers & al. become friendly. It can be useful when you want to loot some dungeons :p

I assume your Infamy rating grants a bonus to your disposition to Evil NPCs, just like your Fame rating grants a Disposition bonus for everyone else. When your Disposition bumps above their Aggression value they will no longer attack on sight unless you attack them first (or take some action that will lower the disposition).

I've noticed similar behavior with some woodland creatures as well. When I have 100+ personality creatures like Spriggan, Bears and Boars will no longer attack on sight unless I have my weapon drawn (since having your weapon drawn adds a Disposition penalty to everyone around). Wolves still attack on sight though.

As for the insane Attribute bonuses some NPCs got near death I believe I have tracked the cause. For some weird reason it seems like spells with Restore Attribute effects with no duration turns into permanent Fortify Attribute effects instead when used on NPCs. So when they heal themselves (or gets healed by my character with a Targeted heal/restore spell) the spell actually boosts their Attributes beyond what they originally had, up to a maximum cumulative bonus of +100 (that I've noticed so far), instead of just restoring any drained Attribute points. So I assume this is some kind of bug and not intentional behavior. :)

I don't think that's the problem, I have a ring than grants 600 pt Feather and it works fine. The thing is, the feather effect works as described when used on Permanent Effect enchanted items, and when applied by cast spells or potions. But when applied via an Ability it seems to do nothing at all, even though the effect is listed on the "Magical Effects on Player" page as usual.

Normally the Feather effect only adds extra carrying capacity equalling to how much weight you already carry, up to at most the listed magnitude. I.e. if you apply a 600 pt Feather effect, but only are encumbered for 200 lbs, the feather effect will only add 200 lbs carrying capacity, not 600 lbs. Thus it pays to re-requip any Feather enchanted items when heavily encumbered to allow them to take full effect. :)

aah, now I see... that may be the problem, if you are not overencumbered there is no change, but if you are overencumbered and it's set as an ability you can't un-equip it and re-equip it like you do an item to take full effect... right? Just a thought...

aah, now I see... that may be the problem, if you are not overencumbered there is no change, but if you are overencumbered and it's set as an ability you can't un-equip it and re-equip it like you do an item to take full effect... right? Just a thought...

It doesn't seem to matter how much you carry. I made a ring that weighed 1000 lbs and added it to the inventory before granting the Ability. The "Feather" row on the "Effects on Player" page in the UI shows the feather effect from the ability with its proper magnitude, it's just that it doesn't affect your carrying capacity at all (unlike Feather effects applied by items or spells). Feather applied by Abilities clearly seems to be broken.

Another unrelated question. When I looked through other peoples' Oblivion screenshots yesterday I noticed that the hair of their characters looked quite different than in my game. The different strands of hair had some transparency between them, giving it a more natural impression, while hair in my game comes in blocks with no transparency.

Here is a screenshot from my game to illustrate what I mean. Look at the hair at the side of the head of the Altmer with the ponytail, or my Breton PC. It comes in thick "slabs" with no transparency between strands, like I've seen in many other peoples' screenshots. What setting determines how the hair looks? Is it something you'll need a high-end graphics card to see properly? (I have an ATI Radeon 9800 PRO).

Oh, and is there some mod that makes characters wear rings on the ring finger rather than the index finger? :)

EDIT: Another thing that struck me after updating to the bugfix patch that was released yesterday. Has anyone else noticed the faces of characters not looking quite like they used to (for the worse) after updating? The face textures look "dirtier" and have strange, unnatural-looking shadings on them.

I suspect the patch has hardcoded the "Self Shadows" option to On. I had it turned off before, but I can't see any difference at all in the game when toggling it now. (Didn't try to turn it on before patching so I don't know if it was the same before.) Could anyone confirm if this is the case?

Another unrelated question. When I looked through other peoples' Oblivion screenshots yesterday I noticed that the hair of their characters looked quite different than in my game. The different strands of hair had some transparency between them, giving it a more natural impression, while hair in my game comes in blocks with no transparency.

You may want to try the hair fix: http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=442471&hl=

It seems that it's a problem that is common to PS 1.1 - 2.0 cards (but doesn't the Radeon 9800pro has 2.0b and not 2.0?)

Oh, and is there some mod that makes characters wear rings on the ring finger rather than the index finger? :)

Not to my knowledge.

EDIT: Another thing that struck me after updating to the bugfix patch that was released yesterday. Has anyone else noticed the faces of characters not looking quite like they used to (for the worse) after updating? The face textures look "dirtier" and have strange, unnatural-looking shadings on them.
I didn't noticed that. However, the natural faces mod I was using stopped working because the patch updated the textures .bsa file. It was an easy fix though: I just modified the date and everything went back to normal.

Edit: to come back on the resist disease thing, did you noticed if your character was also affected by a weakness to disease spell/effect at that time? That could explain it.

I opted for Ren's Hair Pack... the hair styles are killer, but they will clip depending on the style you choose (mostly if you're sneaking and are in 3rd person view)...

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=OblivionMods.Detail&id=1011

There's also a Cosmetic Compilation v1.22 (the one I actually use), that will allow you to use Capucine's glowing eyes :D

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=449508&hl=

My current character with said mod:

http://www.jumpstationz.com/games/oblivion/screens/RenCap-1.jpg

http://www.jumpstationz.com/games/oblivion/screens/RenCap-2.jpg

http://www.jumpstationz.com/games/oblivion/screens/RenCap-3.jpg

http://www.jumpstationz.com/games/oblivion/screens/RenCap-4.jpg

You may want to try the hair fix: http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=442471&hl=

It seems that it's a problem that is common to PS 1.1 - 2.0 cards (but doesn't the Radeon 9800pro has 2.0b and not 2.0?)

Hmm, it's probably my graphics card being too old then, not supporting the later pixel shading versions. I'm no GPU guru, but I think 2.0 is the best a Radeon 9800 PRO can handle. I just upgraded to the latest drivers and have tinkered with most graphic settings in-game but the hair still looks like the characters are wearing a poorly made whig. :(

I checked out the Mod you linked to. While it did make the hair strands on the side of the head and over the face of characters look more natural, it also seems to give everyone the same hair color, my own character included. Her white-blonde hair turned dark brown, and suddenly looks like it's made out of polished mahogny wood (except for the strands/locks it fixed, which looks more like hair now). So unfortunately I can't use that fix either. Guess I'll just have to accept that hair doesn't look too good in the game. :/

I didn't noticed that. However, the natural faces mod I was using stopped working because the patch updated the textures .bsa file. It was an easy fix though: I just modified the date and everything went back to normal.

I ran all custom files in the Data folder through Touch just in case after installing the patch, so I don't think there should be any problems of that kind. I tried removing the Natural Faces mod to test if there would be any difference, and the difference was enormous, so it's probably working like it should. Still, there is something different in how the character faces look with the patch installed, I just can't put my finger on what it is that's changed. Annoying, but I'll probably get used to it. :)

Edit: to come back on the resist disease thing, did you noticed if your character was also affected by a weakness to disease spell/effect at that time? That could explain it.

I don't think that was the case, unless a Wolf bite lowers your disease resistance as well in some unresistable way. My character is a Breton, and is wearing enough gear to grant another 50% magic resistance for a total 100% resist with the racial bonus. Pretty much no spells have any effect on her any more. :)

It happens very rarely... I think she's only been afflicted with some disease about 5 times or so since becoming a vampire. But I was under the impression that Vamps are supposed to be immune to disease, being undead and all, so it still struck me as odd.

I opted for Ren's Hair Pack... the hair styles are killer, but they will clip depending on the style you choose (mostly if you're sneaking and are in 3rd person view)...

That mod seems impressive, though with my graphics card being unable to render hair properly it would probably look a fair bit less impressive with solid sheets of hair hanging down over your face instead of locks. It also sounds like this mod will slow things down if you have a slower computer and/or graphics card, from what some people have commented, so I think I'll have to skip it. I'm already getting between 10-20 FPS in most outdoor areas, so even small slowdowns would be very noticable.

I always play in 3rd person mode except just when shooting a bow (or checking if someone is Essential flagged or an item is owned beforepicking it up), so more detailed meshes and higher res textures on the player character can probably affect performance since she's on-screen all the time. And I sneak often, so it's probably not a good idea to use long hair for my characters if it causes clipping. :)

By the way, have you tested the "Natural Environments" mod? Does it slow things down any, or are the things it adds (birds, insects etc) too small and simple to have any real impact performance-wise?

By the way, have you tested the "Natural Environments" mod? Does it slow things down any, or are the things it adds (birds, insects etc) too small and simple to have any real impact performance-wise?

Well, there are two esp files included in the mod. One is only to change the weather types, while the other is only for insects and birds.

I didn't notice any performace drop on my system with the birds and insects active though. But it's true that my PC is probably much better than yours (at least he GPU is), so the mod might behave differently on your PC.

I had the same problem. Using the latest version of the mod (0.95) had fixed it. I had to edit the lip tone of my character as it was much more intense than before, but much better than looking like you had just been wallowing in the dirt. :)

I suspect the patch has hardcoded the "Self Shadows" option to On. I had it turned off before, but I can't see any difference at all in the game when toggling it now. (Didn't try to turn it on before patching so I don't know if it was the same before.) Could anyone confirm if this is the case?
"Self Shadows" aren't permanently on. If there is no change, it is possible the effect doesn't work on your system. IMHO, it doesn't look good anyway, at least in my game.

I've installed oblivion again, and am now enjoying the 'second layer' of gameplay.

I've downloaded some mods to make the experience cooler overall, and it works for me.

I'm currently playing a Kajit with a custom Shinobi class. He's using Nazgul Robes and some very cool custom Elven blades as well. I realy enjoy hanging around some city and try to see if i can breach the castle and steal everything. I realy feel Neo-like in the first Matrix movie. i';m not even trying the main-quest, but simple enjoy some neat stuff...

I have misjudged the game a bit. I said it wasn't next-gen a while back, but i have changed my mind. Although the gameplay mechanics still lack at some point, the lv 20 'armor-disaster' for instance, the replays is unbelievale. You can just go, and do what you like...it realy feels a bit GTA to me now...instead of the linear game i first thought it was...

the mods i use now:

Nazgul Armor

http://www.tessource.net/files/cache/4311.html

Cool Elven Blades

http://www.tessource.net/files/cache/4822.html

I'm following this thread from now on! :twogun:

I had the same problem. Using the latest version of the mod (0.95) had fixed it. I had to edit the lip tone of my character as it was much more intense than before, but much better than looking like you had just been wallowing in the dirt. :)

I just downloaded v0.95 (I had 0.7 before, apparently) of the mod and tested it, but the strange miscoloring (for a lack of better word for it) remained. Couldn't see much difference between 0.7 and 0.95 for my character, except for the lips. Seems like the lips on all characters, not just my PC, have become a lot more intense and the lip texture itself thicker/wider than previously. Looks like everyone in Cyrodiil is wearing a very thick layer of lipstick all the time now. Not exactly the effect I was hoping for, so I went back to v0.7 of the Natural Faces mod again. :)

I must say the patch has been pretty disappointing so far. I actually get worse performance than before patching, and things got even more sluggish when I updated to the latest ATI drivers (6.5). Normally an upgrade is supposed to make things better, but I get overall 2-5 FPS less than before patching and updating. Nice work. :(

Further, they didn't fix the bug that makes many moving objects and effects come to a screeching halt after getting 150+ hours into the game. Apparently it's not game breaking enough to be unable to open doors or ride elevators that Bethesda felt it was worth their precious time to fix. :roleyess:

"Self Shadows" aren't permanently on. If there is no change, it is possible the effect doesn't work on your system. IMHO, it doesn't look good anyway, at least in my game.

Oh, well. At least that's one thing to write off as a suspected cause then. I've tried modifying all the Video settings with no difference, so I suppose I'll just have to get used to everyone looking a lot worse now than they did before patching the game.

Although the gameplay mechanics still lack at some point, the lv 20 'armor-disaster' for instance

Indeed, the standard game loot system became a complete disaster when you reached level 17 and above. Can't understand how Bethesda were thinking when they designed that. Fortunately it's pretty easy (though time-consuming) to change in the TES:CS, if you have the PC version.

First thing I changed in this game was to remove Daedric weapons and armor from pretty much all the leveled lists. They can only be found on Daedra, in Oblivion or very special "boss" type characters now. Bandits, marauders, commoners and farmers running around with that kind of gear totally breaks the immersion (not to mention the in-game economy).

The game is still pretty hard even when most opponents use steel, orcish and dwemer armor at high levels, with the occasional vampire or marauder warlord wearing Ebony. And gold is worth something again since it's no longer in such good supply that you earn more than you can possibly spend just by raiding some random dungeon. :)

That Elven sword mod looks nice, I think I'll check it out. The normal Elven longswords in the game look more like an oversized spatula you use to flip burgers on a frying pan (what's it called in English?) than a sword you'd use in combat. :)

@ Stoffe:

Agreed...i associate elves with light, nimble, cool weapons. Not Burger-King equipment! :xp:

I have used a mod to remove the elite armors from the enemy lists too. At least the normal thugs behave normally now...but the farmers don't. When i look at them i just wonder where their Ebony or Glass pitchfork is...

Your comment about the Dwemer...

The dwemer are supposed to be extinct aye? So i've been wondering how all those thugs got their armor...unless.....

Neravarine has started an illegal smugling organisation!! :xp:

I have used a mod to remove the elite armors from the enemy lists too. At least the normal thugs behave normally now...but the farmers don't. When i look at them i just wonder where their Ebony or Glass pitchfork is...

The commoners and farmers took some work to "normalize", since Bethesda for some reason had given them the "Boss NPC" leveled item lists for weapons, resulting in many of them running around with Daedric weapons as soon as the player reached level 18+. Had to create new lists for those and go through all the hundreds of NPCs in the game to switch lists where necessary.

I've changed it to be set up roughly like this (at level 20+), which suits my taste better than the standard game:

WEAPONS:

Commoners&farmers: Iron 50%, Steel 50%

Bandits: Iron 45%, Steel 40%, Silver 15%, (Ringleaders: Elven 20%)

Marauders: Iron 30%, Steel 50%, Silver 20%, (Warlords: Ebony 15%)

Vampires: Steel 25%, Silver 30%, Elven 20%, Glass 15%, Ebony 10%

Adventurers: Iron 40%, Steel 40%, Silver 20%

Daedra: Dremora or Daedric 100% depending on rank.

Necromancers/Conjurers: Steel 50%, Silver 25%, Elven 15%, glass 10% (Adepts: Ebony 10%)

ARMOR:

Commoners&farmers: No armor.

Bandits: Fur 30%, Leather 40%, Chainmail 20%, Mithril 10% (Ringleaders: Elven 20%)

Marauders: Iron 30%, Steel 45%, Dwarven 10%, Orcish 15%, (Warlords: Ebony 15%)

Vampires(light): Chainmail 35%, Mithril 30%, Elven 20%, Glass 15%

Vampires(heavy): Steel 35%, Dwarven 25%, Orcish 30%, Ebony 10%

Adventurers: Iron 35%, Steel 45%, Orcish 20%

Daedra: Dremora or Daedric 100% depending on rank.

Necromancers/Conjurers: Always wearing their usual bathrobe uniforms.

Vampires get better gear since they are undead and thus immortal. Having potentially "unlived" for centuries they should've had plenty of time to collect decent equipment.

Your comment about the Dwemer...

The dwemer are supposed to be extinct aye? So i've been wondering how all those thugs got their armor...unless..... [conspiracy theory]

Well, the Ayleid culture has also been extinct for the past few throusand years, but there's still Elven armor and weapons all over the place. So I assume they've been found in the Ayleid ruins that are more common than signs of the current civilization in Cyrodiil.

Since Morrowind appears to be similarily saturated with Dwemer ruins I figured that plenty of Dwemer armor had been found there. And since Morrowind is just next door it wouldn't be unreasonable that some had been "exported" over the border to Cyrodiil. :)

Still, Dwemer armor is still quite rare on my modified leveled item list for Marauders. Steel is the most common, Iron second after that and Orcish armor is semi-common at higher levels. At least it offers some variation. :)

On a similar note I'd have to wonder where the bandits got all the Glass armor, and where the Marauders got their Ebony, since I've never ever seen one for sale with a merchant. Their victims must have gotten it from somewhere... Perhaps direct-imported from Morrowind since I vaguely recall reading somewhere that raw Glass and Ebony only can be found in the vincinity of the Red Mountain volcano. Import of pretty much all natural resources from the provinces has to be pretty high overall since I've only managed to locate a single operational mine actually used for mining in all of Cyrodiil. :)

Pretty sad when common thugs are your primary source for up-to-date equipment since stores mostly sell junk and consumables like repair hammers and arrows. :)

Archived