Home

Oblivion [warning: contains some spoilers]

Fuu

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply
New problem. I was doing a Fighters Guild quest for Burz, the one you have to go to the Swampy Cave. I got to the green arrow but i didn't find the guys corpse like it was supposed to be there! Any help really appreciated.

I believe this is a bug in the game. If you've visited that cave any time before doing this quest the bodies will have been "garbage collected" when the area resets after 3 days, and thus the quest will be broken. I'm not sure if this was fixed in the patch or not.

If you have the PC version of the game you can try to bypass the problem using the console. Open the console and type SetStage FGC10Swamp 40 and see if that allows you to continue with the quest.

Yes, i did go there. Was seeing if there was a shortcut to the Dark Fissure. Silly me. Thanks, i'll see if that does. You are a really good helper.

Need help again. Already on the quest to gather aid for Bruma, but the Anvil gate is hard! Can anyone tell me how to get to the Citadel?

Need help again. Already on the quest to gather aid for Bruma, but the Anvil gate is hard! Can anyone tell me how to get to the Citadel?

Hmm, I don't remember it being much different than most other gates. What's the problem, tough enemies or finding your way around?

If it's the enemies you can stock up on Invisibility potions beforehand (preferably making your own with decent alchemy skill/gear to get a good duration). Then drink them whenever you run into opposition and then just run past the enemies. You don't need to "cleanse" the place after all, just snatch the sigil stone to close the gate. :)

As for finding your way around, I don't know if that Oblivion World is random or if it's always the same. In my current game it's the one where the tower is atop a small mountain straight ahead when you arrive, but no clear path leading up.

If that's the one you head the path left just up the first hill and keep an eye out for a cavern door in the rock wall to your right. It should be near 1/4 around the "mountain" or so. Enter the cave and find your way to another exit door, and you'll emerge at a ledge about 1/3 up the mountainside. Follow the ledge to another cavern door, enter and find your way through those caves to another exit door. When you exit the caves you should now have a path leading up to the tower entrance.

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought Oblivion for pc on ebay (have it for 360 as well :p) and have a few questions.

1 - Whats a good place to download mods for it?

2 - I took the "Can You Run It" test on this page and passed in every aspect, but my video card only barely passed the minumum mark. I have a RADEON 9600 SERIES (ATI RADEON 9600 Series AGP (0x4152)) graphics card and plan to get a new, moew powerful card in the near future So, I was wondering, How slow is Oblivion going to run on my pc?

Without your complete specs it's a bit difficult to tell how Oblivion can run on your PC but keep in mind that Oblivion is a very demanding game (my system runs much hotter with Oblivion than any other game).

Don't expect to have a lot of eyecandy with the radeon 9600 but if you are ready to make some sacrifices, it can still play Oblivion decently (depending on your other specs). This website presents screenshots taken with a 9600pro, a 6800GT and a x1900xtx: http://oblivion.brashendeavors.net/ I managed to play Oblivion on a laptop with 512MB ram and a radeon x300 (not supported) at a more or less surprisingly steady 25 fps. The game was running pretty smooth but I was in a constant fog as I had to turn off nearly all the gfx options :p

Make sure you update all your drivers, including your sound card drivers.

As for mods the best sites are http://tessource.net/ and http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/

Thanks again :)

My system specs

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition

System Model: AWRDACPI

BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3400+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.2GHz

Memory: 1022MB RAM

Page File: 315MB used, 2144MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Woogie: your system is very similar to mine save for the gfx card. I have the same cpu and RAM amount but my gfx card is a radeon X850XT PE. The limiting factor in your case is the gfx card (it will work but you'll have to turn down many options). Apart that you are ok but make sure you update your drivers.

Does anyone know the code (if there is one) for changing onwership of item's both on large scale such as buildings and small scale such as chest's? or can someone tell me how to make a spell to change ownership of things? purddy please?

setcellownership : http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/index.php/SetCellOwnership

setownership: http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/index.php/SetOwnership

and for all those playing a thief char, don't forget to try out this mod if you haven't already: http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=507621

2 - I took the "Can You Run It" test on this page and passed in every aspect, but my video card only barely passed the minumum mark. I have a RADEON 9600 SERIES (ATI RADEON 9600 Series AGP (0x4152)) graphics card and plan to get a new, moew powerful card in the near future So, I was wondering, How slow is Oblivion going to run on my pc?
well, i can tell you now that your major bottleneck is going to be the graphics card. the Radeon 9600 used to be a pretty good bargain a couple of years ago due to the speed per dollar ratio, but it will sorely bottleneck your performance with the vast majority of the new releases. heck, i just made a similar upgrade a couple months ago when i got rid of my old Radeon 9700 Pro.

Oblivion is rather intensive on the graphics, mostly due to the draw distance (you can see a ton of stuff way off in the distance). however, there a number of other things like a heavy emphasis on shadow effects and total objects being rendered onscreen like items, bushes, trees, grass, etc. for more detailed info, as well as info on how to get your compy and the game running as best as they possibly can, check out the official Tweak Guide here.

if you still can't get it running very well, your next option is a new video card. i won't bother posting all the advise i can give you, but if want some, i'm right here. ;)

Well, im running the game at medium settings and havent had any problems yet,aside from it taking me 2 hours to get mods installed :p. I really want to get a new video card now so I can see the game in all its glory :D

Thanks for the Tweak Guide link stingerhs, that should help alot. And when I get the money together, probably not too soon, I may have to take you up on that advice offer aswell :p

It runs pretty good on 7800GTX 512mb (oc to 7900gtx) at highest settings (1600x1200 res), but FPS still drops to 20 in the great forest from time to time. Lovering the resolution to 1280x1024 helps a lot, but it's just not enough for my monitor (blurry picture), so i have to leave it at 1600x1200.

setcellownership : http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/index.php/SetCellOwnership

setownership: http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/index.php/SetOwnership

and for all those playing a thief char, don't forget to try out this mod if you haven't already: http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=507621

Thanks, I'll give 'em a try...

Is there a way to write a script with these code, to add to a spell, so I can cast a spell to change ownership on things?

Thanks, I'll give 'em a try...

Is there a way to write a script with these code, to add to a spell, so I can cast a spell to change ownership on things?

I've just put together a quick mod for this. Note that I did this very quickly as it's late here so the mod is basically untested. For some reason, it does not change ownership on clutter but it seems to work fine on all types of containers and furniture, including beds. If you use it on clutter, the only effect will be that the objects will go flying in the air. For the clutter you can still use the console, select your item and just type setownership.

I may have a closer look at this this weekend.

To install, just extract the contents of the following file in your data folder. The spell will be given to you as soon as you load your game. Since I have very limited imagination when I mod while I should be sleeping, the name of the spell is simply "clear ownership". Use it carefully as I do not know what effects it can have on the game. Edit: Also note that it won't affect horses.

d3owner.zip

(...snip...) to add to a spell, so I can cast a spell to change ownership on things?

Just be careful what you change ownership of. The NPC AI takes ownership of items, furniture, cells etc into account when it decides to eat, sit, sleep, enter areas etc. :)

(Only NPCs with a low responsibility value will deal with items they don't own, which counts as theft, trespass etc and may cause any nearby guards to chase them down and kill them. Justice is swift and final in Tamriel, where there's apparently a death penalty for stealing a piece of cheese. :))

I've just put together a quick mod for this. Note that I did this very quickly as it's late here so the mod is basically untested. For some reason, it does not change ownership on clutter but it seems to work fine on all types of containers and furniture, including beds. If you use it on clutter, the only effect will be that the objects will go flying in the air. For the clutter you can still use the console, select your item and just type setownership.

I may have a closer look at this this weekend.

To install, just extract the contents of the following file in your data folder. The spell will be given to you as soon as you load your game. Since I have very limited imagination when I mod while I should be sleeping, the name of the spell is simply "clear ownership". Use it carefully as I do not know what effects it can have on the game. Edit: Also note that it won't affect horses.

Thanks D333, I'll try it out... :clap2:

Just be careful what you change ownership of. The NPC AI takes ownership of items, furniture, cells etc into account when it decides to eat, sit, sleep, enter areas etc. :)

(Only NPCs with a low responsibility value will deal with items they don't own, which counts as theft, trespass etc and may cause any nearby guards to chase them down and kill them.)

Thanks for the heads-up... I'll try to be careful what I use it on... :naughty:

Edit: Well, gave it a try... and... it works good. Like you (D333) said, it doesn't do clutter (individual items, such as vases, cups, venison, etc, etc.) but it does do chests, cupboards and the like very well. I noticed it even does doors in the sense the it un-locks them, not sure it you scripted it in there that way, or if just changing the ownership of a door automatically unlocks it. But I noticed it also unlocks chests and jewlry boxes too. I'm not sure what kind of side effects that might have on doors, if used on an NPC owned house or something. But the spell is cool, thanks for making it.

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought this game today from amazon, should arrive on Tuesday. I hope it's good. Im not really one into those Wizardy, ork, mage type games but i saw the screenies and as i have been cataclysmically bored the past few days, i thought id splash out. I have never played a single player rpg other than Kotor before so im hoping i will enjoy it.

I just bought this game today from amazon, should arrive on Tuesday. I hope it's good. Im not really one into those Wizardy, ork, mage type games but i saw the screenies and as i have been cataclysmically bored the past few days, i thought id splash out. I have never played a single player rpg other than Kotor before so im hoping i will enjoy it.

I'd suggest browsing through the manual while waiting for the installer to finish. The Elder Scrolls game system can be a bit overwhelming when you first encounter it, even if they have simplified things a whole lot since Morrowind (the previous game in the series). It's quite a bit different from KotOR since you increase skills by using them, so you won't earn any XP and you'll level up once you've increased enough (major) skills.

Just a hint to avoid frustration when making a new character: Don't pick Alchemy, Mercantile, Athletics and Acrobatics as major skills or you'll level up like crazy early on. Since enemies increase in toughness with your level you'll be hopelessly outmatched in battle very soon if you level up too quickly without earning much ranks in actual combat skills. :) There's no hurry to level up, plenty to do even at lower character levels.

Some random non-spoilerish screenshots from my current game. The game looks pretty nice even with my crappy old Radeon 9800 Pro GPU and Athlon XP 2600+ processor (even though it'll look much nicer on newer hardware) :)

Entering Bravil

Hillside view of Imperial City

Nice panorama view from ruin in the mountains

Sneaking around in an Ayleid run

Stargazing...

Posing at Cloud Ruler Temple

Nice-looking Ayleid scimitar blade

Okay well ive been away for a few days, i got the game, im upto a part where i have to go retrieve the emporers necklace from some cave after using the four books to find it's location. Lots of oblivion gates everywhere, they kind of destroy the peace when riding through the woods. Im an argonian thief and i love stealing things and selling them on it's ace.

Alot of weird things happen in the game though such as...

I gave up on buying horses because ive had two die due to attacks and one fell off a cliff which was traumatic because i saw it go. The sad music and lowly sunset coincided as my horse bolted off the side of a mountain after freaking out, i heared it "neigh" about half way down then saw it flop the rest of the way.

Went into "Bravil" (i think) for the first time and there were three guards stood around the corpse of "City-swimmer". Shame, i would have liked to have met him.

A woman at the stables outside the gates of the Imperial city was attacked by a wolf and her cold, dead (looted) body has been slumped over a fence for 6 days. (Do bodies ever disapear)

The gates are cool but once youve been in one youve been in them all. How many are there and do they completely vanish? They ruin the scenery.

Oh and the weirdest thing, i got attacked by an invisible bear and an invisible lion outside the imperial city.

Other than that, i love the game. I only have 1 house atm in that city toward the bottom of the map. Dunno the name. I want a house in Bruma though as i love the arctic feel, it is very gothic and reminds me of Dracula.

Okay well ive been away for a few days, i got the game, im upto a part where i have to go retrieve the emporers necklace from some cave after using the four books to find it's location. Lots of oblivion gates everywhere, they kind of destroy the peace when riding through the woods. Im an argonian thief and i love stealing things and selling them on it's ace.

Alot of weird things happen in the game though such as...

I gave up on buying horses because ive had two die due to attacks and one fell off a cliff which was traumatic because i saw it go. The sad music and lowly sunset coincided as my horse bolted off the side of a mountain after freaking out, i heared it "neigh" about half way down then saw it flop the rest of the way.

Went into "Bravil" (i think) for the first time and there were three guards stood around the corpse of "City-swimmer". Shame, i would have liked to have met him.

A woman at the stables outside the gates of the Imperial city was attacked by a wolf and her cold, dead (looted) body has been slumped over a fence for 6 days. (Do bodies ever disapear)

The gates are cool but once youve been in one youve been in them all. How many are there and do they completely vanish? They ruin the scenery.

Oh and the weirdest thing, i got attacked by an invisible bear and an invisible lion outside the imperial city.

Other than that, i love the game. I only have 1 house atm in that city toward the bottom of the map. Dunno the name. I want a house in Bruma though as i love the arctic feel, it is very gothic and reminds me of Dracula.

1. If you want to encounter less Oblivion gates (or none at all), download this mod: http://www.tessource.com/files/cache/3586.html It works just fine, and doesn't remove any quest related gates, so it's safe to use on your first playthrough.

2. I can't give you any other advice for your horse, other than make sure that no enemies are near, before you leave him alone. If you don't mind playing an evil character, you can join the Dark Brotherhood and eventually acquire Shadowmare, a horse that is marked as essential and cannot die (it's also the fastest horse in the entire game).

If you want, you can also download this mod: http://www.tessource.com/files/cache/1945.html It will stop the wildlife (lions, wolfs, bears, rats, mudcrabs and the likes) attacking you on sight, and thus save your horse from certain death if one of these creatures are near him when he's alone.

3. The reason the guards killed the city swimmer (amazingly she's still alive in my game, even after 200 hours of gameplay) is because they saw her pickpocketing someone. The guards in this game will kill other non-guard NPC's as soon as they commit a crime. ANY crime. If you steal an apple, you pay with your life. :D

If you want to bring the City Swimmer back to life, go stand near her body, open the developer console (~), click on her body and type resurrect. That'll make her raise from the death, and continue on to her daily duties (most likely getting herself killed again :D).

4. That lady had some bad luck in your game. As with the city swimmer, you can just resurrect her if you want. The Passive Wildlife mod (link above) would save her from death.

As for the bodies, some of them do disappear (quest kills, for example), others don't.

5. I can't help you with the invisible bear and lion. Never encountered something like that in my game. Note however, that you will encounter some invisible people in the game, because some of them use chameleon and invisibility spells. It is possible that the bear and lion used one of these spells aswell. :D

I gave up on buying horses because ive had two die due to attacks and one fell off a cliff which was traumatic because i saw it go.
Some horses can take more damage than others. The sturdiest ones you can buy are the black horses in Cheydinhal. Even better is Shadowmere which you can get after completing several quests for

the Dark Brotherhood.

North of the creatures you can find the small settlement Aleswell. You can get a quest there that explains the invisible creatures.

Archived