Home

Oblivion [warning: contains some spoilers]

Fuu

North of the creatures you can find the small settlement Aleswell. You can get a quest there that explains the invisible creatures.

Hell, that quest is SO funny!

It was the first one I accepted after my escape, and it instantly made me laugh.

How can a complete town disappear, for crying out loud :D

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm upto a part where i have to go retrieve the emperors necklace from some cave after using the four books to find it's location. Lots of oblivion gates everywhere, they kind of destroy the peace when riding through the woods. Im an argonian thief and i love stealing things and selling them on it's ace.

The number of Oblivion gates that activate depend on how far along the main quest you have gotten. Before fetching Martin from Kvatch there will be no gates, after that the number that can semi-randomly open increases. If you want to see how many Oblivion gates may open at your current main quest stage, and how many of them have opened, bring up the console and type in:

sqv mq00

If you don't want to close them you can just ignore them since they'll all close when the main quest is completed, but I tend to close any I encounter. The Sigil Stones are pretty nice and you can find decent loot in many of the Oblivion worlds (the best bow in the game can, for example, only be found in one oblivion world set as part of a "micro quest", it's not in the random loot.) If you leave gates near roads open roaming Daedra may kill any NPC travellers who venture nearby as well.

I'm on my second playthrough and so far my character has closed 50 Oblivion gates. I'm 2 stages further down the Main Quest than you are currently with a level 23 character.

I gave up on buying horses because ive had two die due to attacks and one fell off a cliff which was traumatic because i saw it go. The sad music and lowly sunset coincided as my horse bolted off the side of a mountain after freaking out, i heared it "neigh" about half way down then saw it flop the rest of the way.

I tend to shy away from horses entirely and run everywhere instead. The Athletics and Acrobatics skills don't increase when you ride, which they do when you run and jump around by foot. And once you get 100 Athletics you can outrun most horses anyway. :) Moving about on foot also usually lets you ambush bandits and Marauders instead of the other way around. :)

Went into "Bravil" (i think) for the first time and there were three guards stood around the corpse of "City-swimmer". Shame, i would have liked to have met him.

There are a few NPCs with low responsibility like that in most cities that will steal food when they get hungry. If the guards catch them comitting a crime they will kill them, since apparently the city jails are reserved for the player character only. :)

A woman at the stables outside the gates of the Imperial city was attacked by a wolf and her cold, dead (looted) body has been slumped over a fence for 6 days. (Do bodies ever disapear)

Bodies usually disappear after 3 days if you haven't been to that cell for those 3 days, since the cell resets after that time. Thus corpses in areas you cross often might stay around for a long time. There are some exceptions though, the body of a certain Bosmer in Skingrad tends to stay around indefinitely. Apparently graveyards don't see much use in Cyrodiil. :)

The gates are cool but once youve been in one youve been in them all. How many are there and do they completely vanish? They ruin the scenery.

I think there are 8 variants of "standard gate" Oblivion worlds which repeat randomly when you enter gates not connected to any quests. The only one, as far as I know, that contain anything special aside from random loot, oblivion ingredients and a sigil stone is the one where there is a leaning tower half-submerged in the ground just behind the Gate you enter through. That one holds a micro-quest where you can get the unique Hatred's Soul and Hatred's Heart bow and mace. (The bow has the highest damage of any bow in the game, though it's level scaled so you won't get the top variant unless your character is level 19 or higher. You can pick up a new copy whenever you enter a new gate leading to that world though, so there's no reason to hold off picking it up.)

The gates close when you finish the main quest. I suppose they are there to make the main quest feel more urgent, though you miss out on things if you finish it too quickly so I'd recommend doing some other things as well and not exclusively focus on the main quest from the start.

Other than that, i love the game. I only have 1 house atm in that city toward the bottom of the map. Dunno the name. I want a house in Bruma though as i love the arctic feel, it is very gothic and reminds me of Dracula.

The countess in Bruma can sell you a house there, though you might need to do her quest to fetch an Akaviri amulet for her first (not sure if it's required).

There's one house to buy in every city, though the cost of the house and furniture varies quite a bit, as does the Fame rating required to be allowed to buy it. Skingrad is most expensive. The one in Anvil is the cheapest of the "big" houses, though the side quest associated with it made the place creepy enough that my character didn't want to live there afterwards anyway. :)

Hmm, I had Oblivion (XBox 360) for a short while, but I had to trade it in because the gamestopping bugs just ruined the game experience. Let's see, Playthrough 1: Falcar's Quest - body never spawned in well, restarted, Playthrough 2: Vampire Hunting Quest - no matter what I did, never progressed, and the theif system just got on my nerves. No matter what, if I stole something or killed someone in their own house (even before they yelled), the guards magically knew baout it.

I still had some fun when I played. My guy was gonna be a Magic Figher warrior of sorts, and I was working on getting some kickass Daedra heavy armor. I was the Mages Guild Leader and Arena Grand Champion.

I'd give the game a 3.5/5. Perhaps I'll pick up another 360 copy sometime soon. It's been awhile, maybe they've sent out less buggy version to stores? Or I'll randomly get one that's not as buggy. Here's to hoping the XBox Marketplace downloads will be free someday.

I think we can safely say Oblivion was rushed...

For the PC it ain't a problem, since it can be patched. But if you don't have an X-Box Live memebership, there's no way you'll be able to fix it. I find this quit unbelievable. How can seomeone make an 'incomplete' game?

Anyways...

I found a nice mod out there (I don't know if it's mentioned before. If so, i'm sorry). it's called OSCUROS OBLIVION OVERHAUL

What it does? The explaination is quit long, so i suggest you read the explaination at the link.

It changes EVERYTHING. It creates more enemies, balances them, gives more balanced armors, etc etc. It fix many, many bugs too. Just take a peek :)

I find this quit unbelievable. How can seomeone make an 'incomplete' game?

This is more rule than exception nowadays for most releases. Apparently it's no longer cost effective to make sure that an application as complex as most modern games are work fully before releasing it.

I have been fortunate enough to not encounter any unfixable game-stopping bugs so far, but from browsing gaming forums it seems others haven't had the same luck.

Probably a good thing since I do have to say that Bethesda's customer/community support/interaction (or rather complete lack thereof) is the worst of any game developer I have encountered so far. Their attitude seems akin to "Here, the game is released, now sod off and don't bother us any more."

Anyways...

I found a nice mod out there (I don't know if it's mentioned before. If so, i'm sorry). it's called OSCUROS OBLIVION OVERHAUL. (...snip...) It changes EVERYTHING.

I'd recommend against using such a mod on your first playthrough though it may be a good mod to use for subsequent games. Although personally I prefer to tweak things to my liking myself instead and avoid those massive package deal mods offered by others, since those tend to introduce as many things I don't agree with as they fix things for the better. :)

Thx dudes, just did that necklace for the queen of bruma quest, it was fun. I love getting diamonds and all these jewels and things, i have a basket half full of various jewels and i often stop by my house to stare at it for ages. lol.

Hoarding shiny things tends to be part of this kind of game (too bad the display cases are mostly worthless due to the overly sensitive world physics though). A locker in my current characters home so far contains roughly 50 sigil stones, about 15 of each kind of Flawless Gem, 20 Varla stones and 375 Welkynd stones. In addition to 15 of each type of soul gem, saved for special occasions. :)

Finally bought a house in Bruma, i half furnished it and i was downstairs moving gems and diamonds into carefully place positions on the shelving when i heared the door go upstairs, after shortly crapping myself, i equipped my most powerful sword and stood in the corner still crapping myself. The door then opened to the bedroom i was in and it was Amusei! he came to give me a message. I thought it was cool he was a visitor in my house, even though he did give me a slight coronary. I love amusei he's my favorite char by far. He makes me laugh.

The door then opened to the bedroom i was in and it was Amusei! he came to give me a message. I thought it was cool he was a visitor in my house, even though he did give me a slight coronary. I love amusei he's my favorite char by far. He makes me laugh.

I can imagine that. It takes some getting used to from other games where NPCs usually just spawn at strategic locations to tell you something. In Oblivion most NPCs already exist in the world permanently (unless killed) and will seek you out by travelling to where you happen to be if they want something with you. :)

Almost jumped out of my seat the first time the... prisoner... from the corruption quest in the imperial city chases you down wherever you are and attacks you. Happened in the middle of Bruma that time too, and you usually don't expect someone to attack you in the middle of a town. :) (This was before the Mythic Dawn attacks started. After that you kind of begin to expect it whenever entering a town for the first time after progressing that far in the main quest.)

Excuse me while I shed my dignity for a moment...

Is there a fix for those abominable creatures that are a festering wound upon Oblivion known as spider Daedra!? I simply cannot stand to look at those vile abominations Bethesda was insane enough to include in their game! Each and every one of them is a detestable excration the likes I've which I've never seen before! I've not learned to mod Oblivion yet and can't make this myself. I would be eternally grateful for a fix.

Is there a fix for those abominable creatures that are a festering wound upon Oblivion known as spider Daedra!? I simply cannot stand to look at those vile abominations Bethesda was insane enough to include in their game! Each and every one of them is a detestable excration the likes I've which I've never seen before! I've not learned to mod Oblivion yet and can't make this myself. I would be eternally grateful for a fix.

One of the first things I did in the construction set, since I suffer from arachnophobia. It's fairly easy to remove them from all leveled lists. Find the spider daedra under the creatures and view their Used list, which should list all leveled lists they occur in.

I believe this mod will remove them all as well, if you don't want to do it yourself. :)

Probably a good thing since I do have to say that Bethesda's customer/community support/interaction (or rather complete lack thereof) is the worst of any game developer I have encountered so far. Their attitude seems akin to "Here, the game is released, now sod off and don't bother us any more."

yeah...about that...

I'm experiencing somekind of strange 'patch' error. I've been looking on the internet for it, but I can't seem to find it. I've sent a support mail to Bethesda, but knowing their 'support' of Elder Scrolls 3...I don't think i'll get an answer for my problem.

Problem:

So...when I use the patch Oblivion_1.1FinalEnglish, I get a strange error. Even after re-installing Oblivion, even using setup.exe from the disc itself. This is the error screen I see:

patchbugoblivioncz8.jpg

Can any of you guys help? I desperately want to continue playing...but with all the bugs I encounter...:(

PS: Yes, I play Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 and Pirates! :xp:

yeah...about that...

I'm experiencing somekind of strange 'patch' error. I've been looking on the internet for it, but I can't seem to find it. I've sent a support mail to Bethesda, but knowing their 'support' of Elder Scrolls 3...I don't think i'll get an answer for my problem.

Problem:

So...when I use the patch Oblivion_1.1FinalEnglish, I get a strange error. Even after re-installing Oblivion, even using setup.exe from the disc itself. This is the error screen I see:

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/4931/patchbugoblivioncz8.jpg

I wouldn't bother mailing their tech support, it'll just go like this:

1. You send them a detailed email describing your problem.
  2. They mail you back after a week asking for a Dxdiag report.
  3. You mail a dxdiag report back to them.
  4. They mail you back after another 14 days telling you to upgrade your graphics drivers, even though the problem has nothing to do with graphics and your Dxdiag report clearly shows you're already using the latest drivers.
  5. You mail them back, diplomatically informing them they have no idea what they're talking about (AKA "I've done so, the problem persists").
  6. They'll mail you back after another week or so, asking a few questions you clearly answered in your first mail to them.
  7. You give up, realizing your chances of solving the problems on your own are probably greater than continuing to waste time sending them emails. :)

As far as I understand there are usually two common causes for this problem:

1. You are using the US-English pather to update the UK-English version, or vice versa. Or using either version to patch non-english language versions of the game. Or you are using either of the Bethesda patchers to attempt to patch a version bought on Direct2Drive.

2. You have installed a mod that alters one of the game BSA files, or the Oblivion.esm file, or any other file installed with the original version of the game. The patcher will throw a fit if the files don't look like it expects them to and will abort patching with an error like that. If this is the case toss out any mods to the standard game data files before patching.

I havnt encountered the daedra spiders yet but i can't wait. As for the patch, i made the grave error of installing it and it was the worst thing i ever did. It destroyed my game and made it crash every 2 minutes ingame. It would'nt let me de-install so i had to copy the save games and stat files and delete the whole game manually then install it again without the patch. Luckily it was back to normal once i re-instated the original save files.

As for that corrupt guard who comes after you, when i was in the elder scrolls temple with the blind moth monks, he attacked me there, he came in through the door and mullered me. I had to leg it back out into the corridor in a small alcove to kill him. Talk about picking the moment.

As for the patch, i made the grave error of installing it and it was the worst thing i ever did. It destroyed my game and made it crash every 2 minutes ingame.

Odd, Oblivion was pretty stable both in the patched and unpatched versions, didn't notice much difference in stability after patching. Only crashed occasionally after playing for a few hours. The only really serious bugs I've encountered so far are the Vampirism cure quest getting stuck on the getting Bloodgrass part if you've already completed the main quest, and the Animation/movable object slowdown (which there's a 3rd party savegame fixer to correct with).

As for that corrupt guard who comes after you, when i was in the elder scrolls temple with the blind moth monks, he attacked me there, he came in through the door and mullered me. I had to leg it back out into the corridor in a small alcove to kill him. Talk about picking the moment.

NPCs are pretty good at finding you even in very remote locations. :) I encountered another minor bug with that quest once, for some reason the "Guard" flag didn't get cleared off him when he was arrested, so when he showed up in his prison rags and attacked me the Bruma City Guard joined the fray on his side attacking me, and I would get slapped with an Assault bounty if I defended myself against him. (After I turned invisible the City Guard turned on him instead and killed him for me though.)

Encountered the one with the madly wobbling ceiling lanterns in the Arena Bloodworks. After I hit one of those with a lightning bolt if flew around like crazy for about 10 minutes. The physics in the game is not entirely realistic. :)

Odd, Oblivion was pretty stable both in the patched and unpatched versions, didn't notice much difference in stability after patching. Only crashed occasionally after playing for a few hours. The only really serious bugs I've encountered so far are the Vampirism cure quest getting stuck on the getting Bloodgrass part if you've already completed the main quest, and the Animation/movable object slowdown (which there's a 3rd party savegame fixer to correct with).

DOH!

I have patched Oblivion like you said, have deliberately set the graphic performance bit a back..

And it randomly crashes every 2-3 minutes orso :( without reason. Just back to windows. HerbieZ, I think our computers our reposessed or something.

*puts crusifix in floppy drive*

Not working...:(

Stoffe, on what kind of system are you running Oblivion? Your system seems to be playing Oblivion quit well. I have a feeling all this '2 minute crash' stuff is caused by my 'aged' system. It uses an 'old' motherboard with an AGP video card slot (Asus P4PE-X/TE), which is...3 times as slow as a PCI system...could this be true?

Stoffe, on what kind of system are you running Oblivion? Your system seems to be playing Oblivion quit well. I have a feeling all this '2 minute crash' stuff is caused by my 'aged' system. It uses an 'old' motherboard with an AGP video card slot (Asus P4PE-X/TE), which is...3 times as slow as a PCI system...could this be true?

Well, my computer is nearly 3 years old, so I'm not using all the features enabled in the graphics settings... I play at 1024x768 with Distant Land On, Object fade sliders of all types set at around 20%, Shadows off, Bloom lighting and X2 Antialiasing. I get on average around 17-24 FPS while outdoors. Not impressive, but it'll have to do for now. :)

My computer has an AMD Athlon XP 2600+ processor (~1.92 GHz) in an old ASRock motherboard with 1 GB RAM, using an ATI Radeon 9800 PRO AGP graphics card with 256 MB VRAM (Using v6.5 of the OmegaDrivers currently).

It uses an 'old' motherboard with an AGP video card slot (Asus P4PE-X/TE), which is...3 times as slow as a PCI system...could this be true?

No. (I assume that you mean PCI-e ad not PCI). There are good cards that use the AGP slot and low end cards that use the PCI-e slot. I run Oblivion with a Radeon x850xt PE AGP card at high settings @ 1280x1024 with 2AA (everything maxed save the tree canopy shadows, self shadows and HDR) and get between 23-47 fps in the wilderness (the fps lowers when the grass is very dense and when in battle with several ennemies).

Still if you want to get the newest top of the line cards (radeon x1900 or nvidia 7900 series ) you'll have to go with PCI-e but it's a bit pointless to add such a card to a system that can't follow.

Oblivion requires a decent GFX card if you want to turn on eye candy as well as a decent CPU and at least 1 GB of RAM to run it smoothly. You also have to make sure that your video and sound card drivers are up to date.

Bloom, HDR, AA, grass and shadows are the main FPS killers so lower those options if you have problems. If this is not enough, the two next things that eat up a lot of ressources are the textures and distant landscapes. Also, if you have stuttering problems and are using an integrated sound card (realtek ac97), disabling hardware acceleration helps a lot. Closing all the unnecessary processes when you play Oblivion can also give a performance boost (I have only 14 running processes when I play Oblivion).

I got the game running at an average 25 fps outdoors with a 1.6 GHz Pentium M, 1 gig of ram and a radeon x300 (128MB) which is an unsupported card but that was at very low quality (save for medium quality textures) and I was in a constant fog (couldn't see 30 feet ahead of me) :p

This article may help a bit: http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2746&p=1

And this one can help you fine tuning the game: http://www.tweakguides.com/Oblivion_1.html

Woah :s

Omega Drivers? I'm using Catalyst 6.8 at this moment..could that be the source of all the problems?

Omega drivers is some custom tweaked variant of the Catalyst drivers aimed to improve performance somewhat with some games. I mostly use it so I won't have to use that abominable Catalyst Control Center to configure my graphic settings. Whoever at ATI had the brilliant idea to use the .NET Framework to make a (bloated) display driver controller intended to always run in the background on a non-Vista OS should be fired... :roleyess:

I don't know if newer display driver versions could cause such massive instability, but somehow I wouldn't be surprised given ATIs affinity at breaking things previously working in the past when releasing new driver versions. If all else fails you could try to downgrade and see if it makes a difference.

Bloom, HDR, AA, grass and shadows are the main FPS killers so lower those options if you have problems. If this is not enough, the two next things that eat up a lot of ressources are the textures and distant landscapes.

Curiously I only noticed a difference of around 1-2 FPS on average when having Antialiasing and Bloom active from when having them turned off. Given the rather drastic improvement in image quality with those on in the game that surprised me quite a bit. Though I suppose the performance hit could vary quite a bit depending on your hardware and where the bottlenecks are on each system. :)

Also, if you have stuttering problems and are using an integrated sound card (realtek ac97), disabling hardware acceleration helps a lot.

Indeed. Oblivion is the only game I've tried so far where the sound hardware has been causing massive slowdowns. Using AC97 integrated sound the footstep sound of four-legged creatures (Deers, Wolves, Horses (both one you ride and others)) caused massive FPS drops of around 15-20 FPS whenever those creatures were nearby. Luckily some crafty individual discovered this and made a mod that removed the footstep sounds for those creatures. :)

But...but...they have boobies:D

DOH!

I have patched Oblivion like you said, have deliberately set the graphic performance bit a back..

And it randomly crashes every 2-3 minutes orso :( without reason. Just back to windows. HerbieZ, I think our computers our reposessed or something.

*puts crusifix in floppy drive*

Not working...:(

Thats what happened with mine, tbh it works fine without the patch. Oh and don't try putting the crucifix into the CD drive after, it spins round and comes out upside down. Then it's a world of hurt.

Archived