Home

Oblivion [warning: contains some spoilers]

Fuu

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One thing about Holowan, explaining the user-made Tools (not MW's Construction Set) and how to use them is much more 'friendly' here... took me forever to to learn MW's user mod tools. Learning how to 'clean' them, merge them, level list, blah blah.. was all Greek to me and almost more intimidating to try and learn them.
Strange, because I thought MW's toolset was really easy to use; it was easier than modding KotOR for me at least. Of course, I had a deadly love of MW, so I might have been biased. :p

Strange, because I thought MW's toolset was really easy to use; it was easier than modding KotOR for me at least. Of course, I had a deadly love of MW, so I might have been biased. :p

Oh indeed.. don't get me wrong, I love their tool set (the game's).. but it's the modder's created tools such as TESTool, TESAME, TESDTK, TESPCD.. the NIF Objects renamer and the re-order plug-ins/sequencer tools were not very intuitive...(imo)

The readme's lacked a bit of "why" the things needed to be done, and there were constant "if you use me, then don't use this.. blah blah" warnings all over the place...

Once you downloaded several mods.. just to get them to work together required a little "tinkering" making sure you got your Object/Leveled Lists created.. made sure they (and your other mods) were in the right order.. and heaven forbid the modder didn't use the latest game version or game combination.. you'd then have to open them in the Construction Set, make no changes.. then save them out just to update the headers to get around all the warning messages you'd get starting the game...

I later found out that one of the tools updated headers.. but if you used it, I couldn't use the other tool that I had gotten accustomed to :fist:

I finally just sat down, used a whole day reading over forums and documentations and collected the few tools that played nice together... and now use them religously. Though if I hadn't had the patience.. I think my love for the game (and the fantastic mods it has) would've down-spiraled fast...

Not cranking down on the Morrowind Modders.. they're unbelievable at some of the things they can do..(the ones that go beyond the scope of the Construction Set) but they do have the aid of those developer's ToolSet that does 85% of the work.. Hell I made an entire House mod, Weapons Collection, 2 races & 5 Birthsigns in less than 2 days of owning the game ;)

It's definitley easier to mod in Morrowind.. but I have a much better "satisfaction" score with my KotOR / TSL mods... alot of work has gone into each and every one (some more than others.. hehehe).

And to think, KotOR/TSL mods are only possible to have been made 100% by the blood sweat & tears of our very own Tool Makers.. they have an undying respect from me to be able to pull off what they've accomplished. Not to mention the hoards of Holowan'ers that come to the rescue of those in need. :D

.. you'd then have to open them in the Construction Set, make no changes.. then save them out just to update the headers to get around all the warning messages you'd get starting the game...

I ignore all of this stuff...just add this line to the [General] section of your morrowind.ini file:

AllowYesToAll=1

...next time you load the game or the CS, just click cancel when the error messages pops up :D

and to clean savegames, nothing beats Wrye Mash: http://home.earthlink.net/~wrye_modder/Wrye%20Mash%200.63.html

Now let's get to the fun stuff: there's a brand new Oblivion preview on Gamespot and it looks good :D

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/theelderscrollsivoblivion/news.html?sid=6144923&mode=previews&page=1&q=&q=

can't wait!

I ignore all of this stuff...just add this line to the [General] section of your morrowind.ini file:

AllowYesToAll=1

...next time you load the game or the CS, just click cancel when the error messages pops up :D

and to clean savegames, nothing beats Wrye Mash: http://home.earthlink.net/~wrye_modder/Wrye%20Mash%200.63.html

Now let's get to the fun stuff: there's a brand new Oblivion preview on Gamespot and it looks good :D

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/theelderscrollsivoblivion/news.html?sid=6144923&mode=previews&page=1&q=&q=

can't wait!

Oh yeah, I've done the "Yes To All" tweak.. but it didn't help when I had conflicting mods because one was made with an earlier version of Morrowind (patch-wise) than what I was using (plus having to merge lists and re-order them)... but yeah, "Yes To All" is still a sanity saver :nut::D

Thanks for the Wrye Mash link.. I'll definitely look into that.. but man after seeing that new preview :emodanc:, I'm not sure I want to start another playthrough and then find out Oblivion gets released during mid-game :fist: Ahh.. who am I kidding, I'll still probably start another playthrough (once I get this Kreia Mod done that is.. hehehe)

Have you guys tried the demo yet, it's awesome on 360!!!

I especially love playing the stealthy ranger, the bow I tried was sweet.

When you move, it feels much better than the original, and the fatigue factor is still applied to combat but feels much better.

More after I get a little further into it:)...

Hmmm.. was just wondering if anyone else noticed this:

http://www.jumpstationz.com/games/Oblivion/Screens/Oblivion-release.jpg

:eek:*starts saving ca$h * Holy Hell.. that's not too long from now! :emodanc:

Also, this screenshot really grabbed my attention. WOW! Character Creation is really going to be personalized if you can go into that much detail with just the face....

* ChAiNz now has Perma-Grin® * :D

Hmmm.. was just wondering if anyone else noticed this:

http://www.jumpstationz.com/games/Oblivion/Screens/Oblivion-release.jpg

:eek:*starts saving ca$h * Holy Hell.. that's not too long from now! :emodanc:

I pre-ordered yesterday :xp:

and there's this screenie too that shows more customization options (the screenie also proves that you can make ugly chracters if you want...ugh! an argonian with an "xmas style" complexion): http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/images/2006/054/reviews/927345_20060224_screen002.jpg You can even chose the age of your PC :emodanc:

I'm with you RH, Except I'm buying it at Futureshop as they usually have Release day sales and you can save 10 bucks on it. :)

As for the facial customization I've read that it is possible to replicate any real persons face, as long as you have enough time. ;) I wonder though if it would be possible to create a face in the tool set and then import it to use for your character.

when is oblivion coming out?<snip>

Scanned the thread and didnt see and answer to this so:

"The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion has gone to gold master. Look for it in stores in North America and Europe beginning the week of March 20. Read the full release here."

-From the Elder Scrolls Site

I'm having to invest in a new video card myself. Is there a big quality diffrence with ATI vs. NVIDIA? Is there a consensous as to prefrence?

I'm having to invest in a new video card myself. Is there a big quality diffrence with ATI vs. NVIDIA? Is there a consensous as to prefrence?

Both are good. Depends on your system and budget. Does your mobo supports agp or pci-e? How much are you planning to invest?

If you have agp, are you planning to do major upgrades to your PC soon? (In that case investing into a PCI-e mobo should be considered)

There are ups and downs when choosing a new video card, the PCI-e and the AGP dilemma aside (won't be much of one in a year or two).

nVidia and ATi both have really good cards. The race is always very strong and whenever nVidia releases a new really good card, ATi follows and then does a bit more. nVidia catches up and ATi tries to come back. Well, you get the idea.

Usually, investing in a mid-range card should be fairly good. High-range cards cost a real fortune and truly isn't worth it. A mid-range one should last you two years minimum. Of course, you can't really expect super-great performances with max resolution and max AA and AF but if you don't care that much, it should do.

Personally, I go with ATi. I've always been with them, cursed them a lot because of their sucky drivers but I still love them :) Truth is, the only real difference is in the quality of the drivers for both nVidia and ATi. ATi's drivers suck (though they have been getting much more stable lately), while nVidia's are more stable. That doesn't mean that you're not going to come across some problems, but you probably won't curse at your drivers when there's going to be some hiccup.

Now, I just realized that I was rambling so I'll leave it at that :)

My computer supports PCIe. I've been looking around @ the diffrent brands <I'm shooting for 512mb. I can handle a couple hundred $ but much over that and my hand begins to shake lol>. All the cards I've seen use either of the two chips, is there much diffrence by brand? (Diamond as opposed to Saphire or another brand.) Should I go direct to ATI/nVidia? Processing speed @ Hi-Res is just as important to me as price, (Have you seen the $1800 nVidia QuatroFx ? *drools*) since I have a Hi-Res Flatscreen monitor.

Fuu

To be honest, I've never noticed any differences between the different brands, except that sometimes, one brand will include a fan and another will not for the same chip.

Personnally, I always go for ATi directly, but I don't think it's necessary.

As for high performance on high-res, you will have to go look for the higher-end cards for the newer games (and if you want to keep running your games at high-res for a decent time). It's going to cost you more of course.

Just be careful when you're shooting for 512mb. Those numbers don't really matter. A better card with only 256 mb can often run things better then an older one with 512mb.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a reminder!

Well, we all know Oblivion has gone Gold.. and it's "un-Official" release date was the 20th (today).. however I've seen that most store ads saying it won't be on the shelves until tomorrow..(21st) w00t!...

Needless to say, don't think I won't be scouring the stores after work today just in case some stocker makes a mistake :devsmoke: hehehe...

Anywho.. anyone else going to try and get it when it first comes out.. or are you waiting awhile to get it?

Me, I'm all for grabbing that sucker as soon as I can get my greedy paws on it.. but for those that pre-ordered, let us know if it arrives in your mailbox today :D

EDIT: Oh yeah! BTW, for nVidia card users... here's something to keep your eyes peeled for as well:

http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?news=MTc2OTcsLCxobmV3cywsLDE=

Just a reminder!

Well, we all know Oblivion has gone Gold.. and it's "un-Official" release date was the 20th (today).. however I've seen that most store ads saying it won't be on the shelves until tomorrow..(21st) w00t!...

Needless to say, don't think I won't be scouring the stores after work today just in case some stocker makes a mistake :devsmoke: hehehe...

Anywho.. anyone else going to try and get it when it first comes out.. or are you waiting awhile to get it?

Me, I'm all for grabbing that sucker as soon as I can get my greedy paws on it.. but for those that pre-ordered, let us know if it arrives in your mailbox today :D

EDIT: Oh yeah! BTW, for nVidia card users... here's something to keep your eyes peeled for as well:

http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?news=MTc2OTcsLCxobmV3cywsLDE=

Archived