Home

Oblivion [warning: contains some spoilers]

Fuu

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still havent decided whether I'm going for ATI or nVidia, but those drivers (Thanks Chainz!) lean me towards sticking with nVidia. I can't buy the card and the game on the same paycheck, so I have to wait 2 weeks to get my copy of Oblivion ;.;

At least it's finally here!

Fuu

Picked mine up yesterday.. and I'm running on 2 hours of "sleep" today..

Game... Kicks... Ass... period. :devsmoke:

The morphing/manipulating you can do in character creation is amazing, and just from what options they had available (which is alot) I was able to make a character that looked like myself.

Though I chose a totally different looking character to actually play, I was still amazed at how someone could quite possibly make their "self" a PC in the game.. total sweetness :D

The only thing that does kinda 'suck' is that because of the Radiant AI and the persuade mini-game that uses facial features as a visual clue... there are no "full" beards. Kinda makes Nords look like they have shaved recently.. hehehe.. but that is a minor measly thing soon forgotten once you start playing ;) (5 o'clock shadow, gruffy facial hair etc.. is still available however)

Havoc physics will take gaming to the next level after seeing how it is incorporated into Oblivion. Reverb, repurcussion, death animations are superb.. and particularly sweet when you make a 'kill' and watch the corpse suddenly start rolling down an incline, triggereing a trap that offs 2 more goblins you hadn't noticed before (total fluke on my part).. :lol:

Then going to the corpse, picking it up or brushing it aside because it was laying on some loot..

If you can upgrade your computer without bankrupting yourself, I highly suggest this game.. I'd give it a solid 9 out of 10 "as is" and probably about a 9.7 out of 10 once I start modding it ;)

I can play at 1280x1024 (HDR, 16xAF, all settings max) on my 7800 GTX 512 (620-1.8) and it runs smooth (40-50 FPS, 30 outside sometimes). Switching to 1600x1200, the game runs at 10 FPS less (30-40 FPS), which i consider unplayable. Time for SLI?

Make sure you install the latest Nvidia drivers (84.25). They increase FPS in the game.

I haven't really played the game yet, so i can't tell you anything useful about it... other than how it runs lol.

can you believe they already have mods for this game over at http://www.Oblivionsource.com
Indeed. :D

Though I trust Planet Elder Scrolls a little more since their mods have to go through a preview first (or at least used to)...

What sucks is I've already got tons of ideas for mods, but I promised myself to play this game through for awhile before "messing". Considering that although the game can be "beaten" it can literally take months to do 'everything' as far as sidequests and exploration...

Ahh well.. I'll relax a bit and enjoy some BBQ for now ;)

*- Large Pic, be warned (373kb)

I haven't really been following it closely before release, but after checking it out it looks amazing! I'll have to upgrade my system to play it, I only have the minimun specs, but after I do that, I'd love to get this game :)

Oblivion rocks! I'm not too happy with the pursuasion mode, but it's okay, i guess. I need to get an upgraded video card, but that's doable...

wow. it's just an awesome game. Morrowind isn't half as good as oblivion! I have found my new viseo game obsession...*runs off to play Oblivion*

Great game so far. It would be nice if the horses were able to carry more than just the rider. I was kinda hoping for a pack mule. ;) Sneak attack is very cool, I've actually leveled the sneak skill more than any other skill, its a good thing I didn't make that a major skill.

Khajit's are all insane, I've come across atleast half a dozen and all but one attacked me on sight, and the one that didn't attack me said it was ok if I wanted to beat him(wth!, lol.) Dems cat people have problems.

Other than the fact that I can't actually play the game on my PC, I'm loving it.

Posted by T7nowhere:

Khajit's are all insane, I've come across atleast half a dozen and all but one attacked me on sight, and the one that didn't attack me said it was ok if I wanted to beat him(wth!, lol.) Dems cat people have problems.

You should go in the arena. After a certain round, you'll hate them even more ^^

You have to defeat three of them, and you are on your own. Took me an hour ><

I don't know anything about Morrowind and The Elder Scrolls, but i think Oblivion is a great game.

I would like to play it but i'm afraid i won't understand anything of the game because i didn't play the other games.

You don't need to have played the other games to understand whats going on in Oblivion. There are references to Morrowind and the events that took place there by a few of the npc's, but it wouldn't be confusing to a new player.

Oblivion's story line is completely separate from Morrowind's story.

after reading several extremely good reviews about this game, i am seriously considering going to go get it, even if i don't play it right away. as i stated earlier, my PC is showing its age, so i'm really in need of an upgrade before i can play it. :(

that, of course, means monetary considerations as well, which is something that is currently a bit limited at the moment.

oh well, back to Gal Civ 2.... :D

Three words: Best game ever.

For those who got lost in Morrowind, Oblivion is much more story driven. You can't really miss the main quest this time and it's more action packed. You still have all the freedom you want and you can still chose to begin the main quest whenever you want.

The side quests for the guilds are really good too. What's fun is that it's not just go kill someone or go fetch this and that, bring it back and forget about it. There's variety and there is a story behind it. I finished the thieves missions (excellent ending which somewhat reminded me the Thief 3 gameplay), did a few fighters missions and I'm pretty advanced in the Dark Brotherhood quests (if you don't mind killing innocent npcs, the Dark Brotherhood quests are very well done - you can even convince npcs to turn on each other and do the killing for you in one "Agatha Christie" style mission - and the dialogues are hilarious. If you accomplish your missions by the letter, you also get kick ass rewards). I still have to do the mages quests but I've been expelled for murder and horse theft just after joining...:mad::D

I also agree with T7: there is no need to have played any other TES game before playing Oblivion. The only thing it brings is that you are able to recognize some references that are more like Easter eggs than anything else. Per example, there are some conversations between npcs in the street that refer to what happen to the Nerevarine, you can also come across a book that tells what happened to Jiub (the prisoner on the boat when you begin Morrowind), Crassius' Curio "The Lusty Argonian Maid" play made its way to Cyrodil (the book is everywhere) :lol: . If you never played Morrowind, these things won't attract your attention and you won't be missing anything.

The game is also very stable. I did not encountered any bugs so far. The only thing is that it draws a lot of juice from my video card (x850xt) at high settings. The card runs a lot hotter than it does normally.

Three words: Best game ever.

At least it ranks among them so far, IMHO. I'd take too long to list what's good with the game, and everyone have mentioned the bullet points already, so I'll mention my minor (probably unfounded) complaints instead:

You almost need an anatomy degree to create a character appearance that looks the way you want it (rather than some freak of nature). After fiddling with the sliders for an hour I had to settle for "good enough" to get the game going. :)

Slow level advancement. I've played for about 12 hours so far and I'm still level 1, and only about 1/6 towards a levelup.

Hard to find something decent to wear. Maybe I'm spoiled by all the clothing/armor mods for Morrowind, but nothing I've found so far would exactly win any fashion awards. Pretty ugly and useless clothing and armor is all that seems to be available.

I disagree with it being labeled "Assault" to attack an NPC who has you locked inside a small room to which they have the key, has expressed their intent to kill you and drawn their weapon, but haven't managed to land a blow on you yet since you managed to turn invisible before they got close enough. This penalizes use of stealth as a tactical advantage in a way I strongly dislike.

Other than that, I love the game so far. :)

Slow level advancement. I've played for about 12 hours so far and I'm still level 1, and only about 1/6 towards a levelup.

That's weird. Didn't took me long. Are you practising your major skills? You'll gain one level per 10 major skills you level up.

Hard to find something decent to wear. Maybe I'm spoiled by all the clothing/armor mods for Morrowind, but nothing I've found so far would exactly win any fashion awards. Pretty ugly and useless clothing and armor is all that seems to be available.
You'll get some nice equipment once you level up. The loot and the creatures you encounter follow your level.

This penalizes use of stealth as a tactical advantage in a way I strongly dislike.
I agree. There is one point in the main quest that is almost impossible to complete past level 9 if you play a stealthy character. The ennemies are just too strong. I had to lower the difficulty setting to survive. The thieves guild and the Dark Brotherhood quests however, are made specifically for stealthy characters.

So whats the interface like? The things that turned me off morrow wind was that I couldnt figure out the interface - as in there wasnt any... and the character creation was REALLY long... ok, so I kinda liked that. It seemed to be in first person, either that or I couldnt figure out how to get out of it...

Well the UI is easy to use but it's quite big. I use this mod: http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=310815

Character creation is long: there is a face gen with tons of sliders you can adjust to get the look you want (or can...it takes a bit of practice. :D ). The birthsign and class selection are about the same.

You can play in both 3rd and 1st person (I the mouse middle button to scroll forward and backwards - I tend to use 1st person inside buildings for exploration and 3rd when running in the wildderness or riding a horse as it gives a broader view angle.

Archived