Home

omg, the graphic =[

yellowblood

I want to educate people on what this game REALLY is - not what LA has hyped it up to be. Maybe if I'm here I can make sure no one is getting cheated out of their $50 with SWBF2 like I was with SWBF.

Yes but unfortunately for you people actually liked the first one anyway and they are also going to get the second one any way. And chances are someone from internet isn't going to change their mind at all

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes but unfortunately for you people actually liked the first one anyway and they are also going to get the second one any way. And chances are someone from internet isn't going to change their mind at all

What would this forum look like if there wasn't someone to oppose the "fanboy" attitude that seems to thrive around here? Someone has to have an opposing viewpoint, and who better than me? I was ripped off. I was cheated out of $50. I think I have the obligation to share my experience so that at least I can give a much-needed "I told you so" if the time comes.

What would this forum look like if there wasn't someone to oppose the "fanboy" attitude that seems to thrive around here?
I would think the exact opposite (at least among the more prominent members).

Someone has to have an opposing viewpoint, and who better than me? I was ripped off. I was cheated out of $50.
No, you weren't. Perhaps you were gullible enough to buy the game without investigating it thoroughly, or maybe you were just greatly let down, but LucasArts didn't cheat you out of 50 bucks. You made the choice to buy the game, not LucasArts. Life sucks, deal with it.

Well not if you don't by it TK..

I was talking about the guy who said he was getting it the first day. I'm not buying it, unless I get a PSP (yeah, like that'll ever happen).

No, you weren't. Perhaps you were gullible enough to buy the game without investigating it thoroughly, or maybe you were just greatly let down, but LucasArts didn't cheat you out of 50 bucks. You made the choice to buy the game, not LucasArts. Life sucks, deal with it.

When you hype a game to the max, promising the greatest Star Wars game ever, and then not even release the promised PC demo, you better be damn sure that you're not letting down your would-be fans. If you do, then sorry, you've just cheated me out of my money. Sadly for me, there's nothing I could have done about it. That's why I'm here to warn people about what they're REALLY getting for their $50.

Since we're discussing things we don't like about the game, here are a set of things about the user interface that just drove me crazy in Star Wars Battlefront 1 - I hope these things get fixed in SWBF2:

1. When a map has finished, there is NO WAY to chat with the players of the last match to say "good game", or "we rocked you" or whatever, which is ridiculous.

2. There is no timer for the start of the next match. So, it almost becomes detrimental to read the awards and details of your bait and nemesis, because doing so puts you at a disadvantage to the next map since people are already in there and playing while you look at the stats.

3. If I want to quit the game after the end of a map, I have to wait until the next map loads for some crazy reason. And then when I finally do get a menu that lets me quit, then I have to wait for a whole different screen to load up - what it's loading I'm not sure. And then I have to quit gamespy, and THEN I have to back out of multiplayer, and THEN I get to say that I want to quit the game, and THEN I have to confirm that I want to quit. My god, quitting the game almost becomes a game in and of itself. This is by far one of my greatest frustrations with the menu. What they need to do in BF2 is just have a quick and simple menu that you can bring up AT ANY TIME, and just select "Exit game", and boom - you're back in Windows - no billions of layers of menus.

You made some excellent points there, bravo! Console gamers probably don't know what the fuss is about, but to us PC gamers, those things are incredibly annoying...

TK, you are really starting to get on my nerves with all your whining. Your sounding like a typical BF2 fanboy.

Perhaps it is time someone like me came to this thread, I am a person who finds BF2 to be one of the worst FPS I have ever played.

You are right that Star Wars weapons do create kick but it is MINIMAL. Your referance of blasters being notoriously hard to aim is from a Star Wars facts book meaning that they are hard to aim compared to other Star Wars weapons.

Have you even seen SWBF2? I have seen full resolution, uncompressed images and I can say that the graphics are definantly better than the first. SWBF2 is not going to have your precious processor eating, completely fake looking rag dolls (boohoo) because it is designed to run on CONSOLES and they lack the power for such things.

The fact is that SWBF2 is being designed to run on consoles so it will not compare graphically to the sorry excuse of next gen game that is BF2.

Gameplay wise this is a sci-fi game not a realistic one and some people seem to have a hard time getting their heads around that. Watch the movies, did you ever see a Clone Trooper go prone and spent 20 seconds lining up his target? The only time I have ever seen people crouching or going prone in the movies was to use cover or reduce visibility.

Complaining that the guns are too accurate is just comparing it to BF2 where you cant hit anything unless you are closer than 50m and lying down. Get a Paintball gun, put a cardboard box or something 50 or so meters away, jog around while shooting at the box, its not that hard to hit it.

Also saying that the game is too arcady is not a valid point at all. Some people actaully *gasp* like arcady games. I dont like sports games but I dont say that they suck just because I dont like them.

If you dont like a game, forget about it, dont complain.

I love it when people who really love a game have to deal with someone who really doesn't like it. TK has his reasons to not like the game, he has his completely valid points, and for him to voice them that makes him a "whiner"

I personally think a differing viewpoint is a positive thing in most instances. If everyone just walked around talking about how much they looooved Battlefront, things would be boring.

For the record, I hated Battlefront more than almost any game I ever played...maybe not more than Rogue Agent, that was pretty awful.

TK, you are really starting to get on my nerves with all your whining.

Then don't read my posts, simple.

Your sounding like a typical BF2 fanboy.

*Shrugs* I probably do. But it's better to be a fanboy of something totally awesome than something totally sucky...

You are right that Star Wars weapons do create kick but it is MINIMAL.

In the movies it looks like the kick you'd expect from any real-life weapon. And most blasters in the films are used semi-automatically!

Your referance of blasters being notoriously hard to aim is from a Star Wars facts book meaning that they are hard to aim compared to other Star Wars weapons.

Most all Star Wars weapons are hard to aim. I mean, who actually had good aim? Not Rebels, not Stormtroopers, not Battle Droids... Clone Troopers actually had good aim, but like I quoted from the visual dictionary, their weapons are incredibly inaccurate.

Have you even seen SWBF2? I have seen full resolution, uncompressed images and I can say that the graphics are definantly better than the first.

Link?

SWBF2 is not going to have your precious processor eating, completely fake looking rag dolls (boohoo) because it is designed to run on CONSOLES and they lack the power for such things.

The fact is that SWBF2 is being designed to run on consoles so it will not compare graphically to the sorry excuse of next gen game that is BF2.

Then it shouldn't be for PC, period. Console ports suck.

Watch the movies, did you ever see a Clone Trooper go prone and spent 20 seconds lining up his target? The only time I have ever seen people crouching or going prone in the movies was to use cover or reduce visibility.

Some Clone Troopers fought like that on Utapau.

Complaining that the guns are too accurate is just comparing it to BF2 where you cant hit anything unless you are closer than 50m and lying down.

Sounds to me like the reason you hate BF2 is because you can't hit a thing. I can turn the most inaccurate weapon in the game - the light machine gun - and turn it into a sniper weapon.

If you dont like a game, forget about it, dont complain.

Okay, so this board will now be a fanboy-fest of people talking about how much they love Battlefront. Sounds fun, eh? :rolleyes:

I am sorry, I think no one is listening

I think they are, considering that there's several people (including you) who are quoting me...

We are not talking about SWBF. We are talking about SWBFII

Same thing, basically.

I could care less who dislikes it, I just don't like how you are giving SWBFII tons of negative feedback before it is even out.

Because... just look at it. It looks like it plays exactly the same. Same crap animations, gameplay, physics, weapons, everything. It's just a few new characters, maps, vehicles, that's it.

Nope, you are TOTALLY wrong. Maybe if you played it, it might change your mind. The new system is totally different. You have to unlock the last 2 classes in each faction, there are totally different weapons, like a Shotgun and a Desinigration blaster, the animations were never crappy, so I don't know WHAT you are talking about. Gameplay is changed, too.

You have to unlock the last 2 classes in each faction

Wow. /sarcasm

there are totally different weapons, like a Shotgun and a Desinigration blaster

There were already shotguns. I don't know what a "desinigration blaster" is, but it sounds entirely inaccurate to a Star Wars game. So that's a minus.

the animations were never crappy

Are you kidding me? There's only like three death animations! You die the same ways over and over. The weapons all seem to reload the exact same way. The way you run looks like you're in a cartoon. Actually, the whole game seems like a cartoon.

Gameplay is changed, too.

I'd like to know how. Because it appears it functions exactly the same. Same perfect accurate weapons, same lousy physics... I've heard lots of people who got to play the game say that it is exactly the same as the original. So no, gameplay has not changed.

"There were already shotguns. I don't know what a "desinigration blaster" is, but it sounds entirely inaccurate to a Star Wars game. So that's a minus."

No, there weren't any Shotguns in SWBF. And you never heard of Darth Vader saying to Boba Fett "No desinigrations"? Yes, a Desinigration gun is Star Warsy, let me pull out Fraps and make a video of it

No, there weren't any Shotguns in SWBF.

The Rebel Pilot has a shotgun. The Dark Trooper has a shotgun.

And you never heard of Darth Vader saying to Boba Fett "No desinigrations"? Yes, a Desinigration gun is Star Warsy, let me pull out Fraps and make a video of it

I'll be waiting...

TK, there are obviously more SWBF fans here than people like you who hate it. So i don't see how you see fit to post nothing but negative comments on a message board full of people who don't want to hear it.

OK, you don't like SWBF(2) and you're AMAZING at BF2, get over yourself and register on some BF2 forum.

We don't want to be "educated", we like this game, and you of all people aren't going to change our minds.

Well the thing is MachineCult there is some merit to what he's saying. This is going to be a very similar game to SWBF1, it's more building off of the original game, and giving us "the game they meant to give us in the first place" not a complete re-working.

So ultimately, people wishing for a complete reworking and "different game" will be disappointed. People asking if certain flaws or deficiencies in the first game will be present in the next is perfectly valid.

For example, lets compare this to Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy. I think we can agree that both games were very similar to one another. JA built on the foundation that JK2 started, but changed certain subtle things that made a big difference to many people. Some people who loved JK2 hate JA for those reasons. Others liked JA better for what it changed/added.

Now the same may be true with SWBF2. I hazard to say that "everyone who liked SWBF will love SWBF2" some people may not. Likewise some people who didn't like SWBF may be won over by part 2 (though I imagine those who had serious problems with the first game should not hold out hope for a completely revamped game this time around). Likewise with JA, many people referred to it disparagingly as "an expansion pack" or "a glorified patch."

People nowadays are spoiled and often forget that when a sequel to a popular game recieves a brand new engine and is improved, it's usually MANY YEARS after the first game. The vast majority of game sequels use the same engine and other than a new single player campaign, only marginal changes occur. The whole "expansion pack" movement is more a matter of marketing. What is the difference between a sequel and an expansion? Not every expansion requires the original game to be used. So it's somewhat subjective.

In any case, there exist people who DO NOT CARE and they will buy any game with the Star Wars label or in a certain series and they GET MAD when people criticize it in any way shape or form.

We tolerate all opinions here, but we need not agree with any of them. So you guys can argue all you want, but ultimately people who are ambivalent about this new game have just as much right to express that as people who will "buy it the moment it comes out."

There are people who can get a fairly good idea of what to expect right now, with the closed beta (open to subscribers to file planet). While not the final version of the game, I'd say 90% or so is going to be there, until a public demo comes out (if it ever does). There is going to be an Xbox demo with the ROTS DVD in November (around the time of release) but that's fairly useless for many of us.

Well he was a long time poster on SWBF, this is SWBF2. If he hates the new game, why post? Are you accusing him of trolling? Because there's a big difference between disagreeing with the mainstream thought and being a troll (out to "piss everyone off").

Not everyone is saying "wow this game will be amazing" but most of us are curious how it will turn out, asking questions, speculating, following news, etc.

A person need not decide RIGHT NOW whether this game will "SUCK" or "ROCK" rather we can have impressions, opinions, etc.

Not all of us can try a game before we buy, so we have to make a decision. More information will be available before long. Some of us are cynical though about reviews. A game like this is the kind of game that will get awesome reviews, and will be heavily hyped, even if it's only mediocre. That's the feeling anyway. So how many folks will feel justified spending $50 on the PC version based on the general hype level, only to be disappointed? That's why it's important to get all the views out on the table to help people make better decisions.

If you hear the stuff TK complains about and go "well that stuff isn't important to me" (like me for example, I honestly don't think having Jedi around "ruins" the experience, nor do I think that "arcadeness" is necessarily a bad thing, I'm a big arcade fan) then you can just ignore it and move on or whatever. But really, do we just say "I don't find his information useful, so therefore he shouldn't be able to talk, period"? Maybe somebody will find his info useful, and that's reason enough to let it be heard.

I think it's fair to say that the SWBF1 community is small and opinionated. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing were true of SWBF2. ;)

TK, there are obviously more SWBF fans here than people like you who hate it. So i don't see how you see fit to post nothing but negative comments on a message board full of people who don't want to hear it.

OK, you don't like SWBF(2) and you're AMAZING at BF2, get over yourself and register on some BF2 forum.

We don't want to be "educated", we like this game, and you of all people aren't going to change our minds.

You just don't get it do you. I'm not here to change YOUR mind. I couldn't care less if you want to blow $50 on something, hey, you'll probably like a game like SWBF2. But if you notice, LucasForums gets LOTS of traffic. Most of this traffic is made up of lurkers, who come here just to get the latest news and different opinions on the game. If someone isn't here to oppose the fanboy attitude, what is someone who comes here to get some views on this game going to see? Nothing but "zOGM tis is awsome!!1" and they may just go out and blow $50 on something they find out is crap.

So if you don't want to read my negative opinions, by all means, put me on your ignore list. But I'm not going to keep my opinions to myself just because the majority here are drooling over this game. Because you don't know who's reading this and who's not.

Fight the power.

Archived