Home

Feature Request: Preferred Players

tarafudge

I want to make it so that when a person connects, and the server is full, then if that player has a name that is listed in pp.cfg or something it will boot a player with the lowest stats, or a spectator if one is available, that isn't on this list.

I want to make it seemless to the "Preferred Player" that a player was kicked for his slot. This way I can guarantee members a slot in my server.

There is already a "preferred slot" type of feature in basejka (actually in all Q3 engine based games), it's called Privateclient (you put it in your cfg file). Basically they get a special password, and if the server is full, there is still this slow reserved for them. Nobody gets kicked, you just boost the total players by one (or whatever, you can set as many private client slots as you like). It doesn't reserve your name, that's the only thing it can't do. If you pick the same name as somebody else, then you have two people with the same name. Only the admin can tell the difference (by comparing IP's in the console).

You can also limit the number of spectators I believe.

Well of course there's limits, not only in the game engine, but also to your hardware. You simply reserve as many slots as you expect people to come that you want to ensure a spot.

What you're saying is that it should kick one of the "non VIPs" to make room for a VIP (kinda sucks for that person doesn't it?). Well what happens when you have one more VIP and no more VIP slots left? Which VIP should it kick? See, there's always going to be "problems." If you want to make it an exclusive server, you can put a password on the whole thing and only give it out to certain people.

Archived