Home

The forgotten classics

Lefty9fingers

I have a few questions. Regarding Day of the Tentacle, can anyone tell me if there is any difference between the PC version and the Mac version? Is it true you can play mac on a PC with SCUMMvm? I just noticed LucasForums doesn't have a board dedicated to Day of the Tenticle. Why? Or am I blind? When did LucasArts jump the shark? Was it before EMI and Infernal Machine and we didn't realize it yet? Or was there yet still hope for them to pull their act together and they jumped the shark when they decided not to make adventure games and focus ONLY on making crappy star wars games? Could it be that we the consumer are to blame for LucasArts' current state of suckitude because we contribute to the Star Wars whoring while we let sleeper hits like Grim Fandango go un sequeled? Is it possible to make a Fifth Monkey Island that isn't worse that EMI? Would LucasArts ever sell ME the rights to Monkey Island and let ME continue the franchise? My name is Bobbin, are you my mother? I just bought Sam and Max off ebay because for some reason I have never bought it before and now after all these years I am finally going to play Sam and Max for the very first time ever in my life, do you envy me?

Are we supposed to answer all of those questions? Because...well, there are quite a few there. Could you at least use paragraphs next time? ;)

Anyway, you're right about Day of the Tentacle. I haven't seen one around. Kinda odd that it would be omitted, though I suppose it doesn't have much fan following due to it's relative obscurity. Eh, I'm no authority on the subject though.

I wouldn't say that all SW games LA makes are crap. Just look at KotOR 1 and 2. Both phenomenal games. I can see where you're coming from, though. It was a bad move for Lucas to ditch their brilliant classics. MI and GF got them here in the first place; they should give respect to the games that played a major to forge their legacy.

I'm pretty sure there won't be a MI5, though it pains me to say it. Like you said, LA ditched their classics. It's not a totaly loss; MI4 was pretty good. Not as good as 1 or 2, but it was good.

Yeah, it's our fault that LA makes non-adventure games now. Why solve stop the demon pirate LeChuck with Guybrush when you can use spammy saber-spins on storm troopers? Ugh.

LucasArts wouldn't sell you the rights to MI. Imagine a nostalgic 17 year old with his old favorite stuffed animal from his single digit years. That's LA with MI. They're not using it, but they aren't going to let it go.

I don't think I'm your mother; you don't look like a bobbin. More like a George or a Samuel.

I wouldn't mind playing Sam and Max. Eh, I envy you a little. I would be more envious if you had bought MI2 with the decent music. I have the original MIDI-ridden version.

Actually, I TOO have the Original 3.5 LeChuck's Revenge with the NON-sucky music. Got it brand new for christmas back in the day. Actually, that's part of the story of how I found out about, and subsequently fell in love with, lucasarts. We were one of the first people in our town to own a computer, a 286, and I kept bugging dad to get me a game. Up until that point I was drawing pictures in Dr. Halo 2(not to be confused with Halo 2). Dad got a copy of the action/arcade version of Indy Last Crusade from a guy at work, but it was pirated so I couldn't get past the copy protection. So we went to the store to try to buy it. I saw LucasArts classics on the shelf, the one with Monkey Island, Zak, Maniac Mansion, Loom and Indy 3. I thought it was the same version of Indy so we bought it, having no idea what any of the other games were, and the rest is history. Monkey 2 was the first LucasArts game I ever got that wasn't part of a value pack. Damn I feel old. Later when LucasArts Archives vol. 3 came out one of the reasons I got it was so I could have LeChuck's Revenge on CD, boy was I pissed when I heard the music. I never played the CD version any farther than picking up the shovel. I hope I never lose my original disks.

I just read your edited post and I gotta say, people need to stop citing grim fandango as a classic LucasArts game. It has become a classic in the last few years simply because it is the LAST of the GOOD games LucasArts made, but at the time it came out it was panned by critics, sold poorly and is one of the reasons LucasFarts stopped making adventure games because they are corporate whores and went where the money was. The games that got LucasArts where they were in their prime were games like Sam and Max, Monkey Island, and Outlaws. Those are the classics, much like how Meddle, Atom Heart Mother and Dark Side of the Moon got Pink Floyd to where they were. The Wall is much like Grim Fandango. After the Wall they kept TRYING to make music but it just never got any better. One of the reasons we all hold Grim Fandango in such high regard is because in the Grand Timeline it was an orgasmic crescendo, a gigantic booming sky rocket, that could never be matched and all we can do is hold onto the memories of when we first experienced it, inoccently believing that it wouldn't be the last. If we would have known how wrong we were perhaps we would have savored the moment a little longer. But seeing as we have nothing new to hold onto we must replay, and replay and replay, like a user using in an attempt to remember what that first hit felt like, but each time it's just not quite the same, and each replay gets us farther and farther and farther away, until behold the dream is gone. We no longer remember what it is like and have become sick from over-use. Then one day Psychonauts comes along and we lap it up not caring about the quality, desperate for a new fix. We are so depraved we even speak of it as if it is a LucasArts' game's brother, when it is merely distant relation. A cousin of a cousin of your mother's college roommate. But when the patriarch of an empire dies, all the family shows up to the funeral. Maybe someday LucasArts will realize the error of their ways and be good again, but I doubt it. Infact, I'm certain LucasArts KNOWS they suck, but are powerless to do anything about it. Afterall, they ARE LucasArts, and Georgie Boy has them in a stranglehold. He who was once a young visionary has become blind to what is right in front of him. Someday soon his mighty empire will fall when people are tired of playing a brand new incarnation of the same exact universe. Someday Rome will fall and there will be nothing, no monkey islands, no grim fandangos, not even any star wars left. Nothing. Only decade-old memories of a glorious golden-age, when no wrong could be done and everything made was made of silver and diamonds, and oh how it sparkled.

I have to give them credit, they had an extraordinary run.

You have a point, but it seems you're viewing all the negatives about Lucasarts. Its not like all the stuff they make sucks ass, it's just not MI quality. Phsyconauts was good, and I think most people will agree with me. JO was good, KotOR was good, JA was...eh. They still make good stuff, and hopefully they'll continue.

Wah wah wah. Piss and moan all you want, but they're a corporation with goals they have to meet. It's not their fault adventure games stopped being popular.

And if you're just now getting to play Sam and Max I have no reason to envy you, quite the opposite really.

Also, Lucas doesn't run LA, he has people to run it for him. Same with LFL and all the other branches.

Yes but the whole point is that it is HIS company and his whole goal in life is to exploit his baby for as much money as he can squeeze out of it. Also, yes some of the Star Wars games are good, I enjoy Jedi Outcast, but Star Wars games don't count. They are soulless by comparison. Like over-produced hollywood blockbusters that rake in the dough each summer because they hire A list celebs and boast the latest in special effects yet have very little to offer by way of plot, character development and that sort of thing. Sure we enjoy these types of games, but twenty years from now Monkey Island 2 is STILL going to be the game we all play, but we won't play Jedi Outcast anymore because the special effects will look dated and we will be playing the brand new instalment with better lights and AI and emoting faces. And I'm not pissing and moaning. If you'd care to actually figure out what I'm saying, I'm lamenting over the fact that the glorious empire is no longer the glorious empire I fell in love with. If anything I am angry AT lucasarts for letting me down. I feel like the child who loves the slugger and finds out all this time he's been using steroids.

And I'm not pissing and moaning.

the glorious empire is no longer the glorious empire I fell in love with.

I am angry AT lucasarts for letting me down.

I feel like the child who loves the slugger and finds out all this time he's been using steroids.

... Sounds like pissing and moaning to me. Stop being emo and just play the games you love.

Archived