Home

Jojo plays the piano batter than I do.

Lefty9fingers

One day I sat down in front of the piano and spat out a little tune which I TOUGHT was the one that Jojo plays at the Bloody Lip on Scabb Island in part two of Monkey Island 2, but when I compared I found I was a little similar, but for the most part way off. I know it is an actual ye olden tyme song, anyone out there know the name so I can look up the sheet music?

No, it is most definitely NOT the Monkey Island theme. I am certain it is an old song, I'm talking hundreds of years here, not like Flock of Seaguls or Led Zepplin old. I am certain it is a classic from the era in which the game takes place. Just like "Blow the Man Down" which is in SMI it is a pirate drinking song, sung and played by REAL pirates, it has a name, it is a real song, and it is most definitely NOT the Monkey Island theme song.

Yeah, once I posted it I started humming blow the man down and realized my mistake. But I AM NOT mistaken about the music Jojo plays. It is NOT the Monkey theme. Just a question, are you playing the crappy CD version or the original? I have both so I could check the CD version but the musics sucks so bad I always play the original 3.5 version.

I have also linked to an mp3 of the tune I'm talking about. That first segment has practically identical notes to the Monkey Island theme, and later bits also mirror it at times. Either the Jojo tune is a remix of the Monkey Island theme, the Monkey Island theme is a remix of some old pirate song, or perhaps both are just inspired by the same pirate song (of which we've had no evidence of existing except your word).

But seriously, don't tell me the mp3 I linked to doesn't mirror the Monkey Island theme (discluding chords) at times. It quite blatantly does. ¬¬

Okay, just so we have a point of common reference, in CMI Van Helsing comments on an annoying tune he couldn't get out of his mind, that tune being the monkey theme. When he sings la lala la-la le laa it is the beginning of the main body of the piece. There are variations of the them and it sometimes starts different, but those seven notes are what I'll call the beginning. Now, these beginning seven notes of the Monkey Theme DO mirror PART of a stanza of the Jojo theme, but after those seven notes the monkey theme goes off in another direction, while the Jojo theme continues on. These seven notes in the Monkey Theme are a Line by themselves. In the Jojo Theme they don't start the line, and once they occur in the line, the line continues on for ten more notes before the line ends. There IS a similarity there that COULD cause some confusion, but it is NOT THE SAME SONG. I have a feeling we'll have to email Z-Land to end this discussion, but just so I can say I told you so later, I'm right, you're wrong, stop trying to win. Now, seeing as the question I originally asked, hence the point of this thread, is "what is the name of the song?" And since you obviously don't know the answer to that question, why did you even bother posting in the first place!?!

Dude. Calm down.

All I've been saying is that the song bears a resemblence to the Monkey Island theme, precisely for the reasons that you just pointed out. I'm not claiming that the Jojo theme is the Monkey Island theme, I'm claiming that it's a wildly remixed version. You know, an original tune with elements of it integrated.

I could be wrong, it really could be some old pirate song, but if it is then I've certainly never heard of it -- nor has anybody else in here, evidently. The only time I've ever heard of it being an old pirate song is from you, so I'm just interested to know from what you concluded this.

And yes, by all means email Land. Make sure to post the name of the pirate song if it is indeed one. ;

but just so I can say I told you so later, I'm right, you're wrong, stop trying to win. Now, seeing as the question I originally asked, hence the point of this thread, is "what is the name of the song?" And since you obviously don't know the answer to that question, why did you even bother posting in the first place!?!

Dude, we're all entitled to our opinion.

Yeah, it has elements of that too. I've self-taught myself (correctly, as I'm most definitely not tone-deaf ;) to play the Monkey Island tune, the Jojo tune and the Woodtick tunes, and I've noticed myself playing a lot of common note patterns between the three.

They're obviously on different keys, but I generally play them all on the same key whilst practicing anyway, which makes it far easier to pick out the similarities than if you were to play Jojo on its original A, then play the Monkey Island tune on its original E.

I'm not going crazy, honest.

Archived