Home

Bot improvement : minbots?

yangyan

Let me start off with multiple examples.

1. Your server supports 24 players. You have bot_minplayers 8. 8 players connect, and all 8 bots get kicked. You set something (non-existent) called bot_minbots to 2. Now 8 players connect, and 6 bots get kicked. Two remain behind. This would be useful if you always want 2 bots in your server, no matter what happens, but you also want bots to join when human players start to decrease.

2. Your server has bot_minplayers 8. 3 people suddenly connect. 3 bots get booted and displays X was kicked; Y was kicked, Z was kicked. The players realise these are bots. My point? A seamless 'disconnection'. The bots simply disconnect SLOWLY. Alora disconnected, instead of Alora was kicked.

3. After the three players from Suggestion 2 disconnect, the bots rejoin. This is what it looks like:

Padawan died

DaBot connected

DaBot entered the game

As you can see, this means bot. No real player ever instantly enters the game after connecting. This is what could improve the bots; a seamless 'connection'

Padawan died

DaBot connected

Obi-Jawa killed Padawan

Padawan blew himself up

Da Bot entered the game

4. The bots names are stupid. No offence. Sorry. But DaRunner, ConfusedHawk, MasterSkywalker, etc? Ok, im just complaining, but I can help with this problem. I can make a whole list of fake names. Instead of generating random weird names, it can pick out from the list instead.

5. Bot chat. Lugormod tells it all. You say hi to the bot, it'll say hi back.

Summing up: bot_minplayers, seamless disconnection, seamless connection, better bot names, and bot chat

g_maxBots - Maximum amount of bots (per team) allowed on the server at a given time.

g_minHumans - minimum amount of players (per team) allowed on the server before the bots leave.

As for the bot connection/disconnection, I did experiment with them simply disconnecting instead of being kicked but I think it was causing game crashes. I could attempt it again if you guys are into something like that.

Thirdly, the bot names are constructed randomly from first name/last name lists. If you have more options you'd like to add, you're welcome to suggest them.

Finally, I simply haven't gotten around to doing the bot chat stuff yet.

Yeah, Razor, what about that?

I would LOVE to see the "disconnected" instead of "was kicked" thing back. It's either a dead giveaway that they are bots (which can cause people to start whining or leave) or it will make them go "WHY WERE THEY KICKED??? HOW DARE YOU!" if they don't realize they are bots. ;)

razor, i dont know any c++ coding, but id like to help in any way. For example chat, i could make a test file containing:

hi, hello, hey guys, ello

{

hello

whats up

hi

hey

:)

}

****, ****, screw you, ??? is ****, ???, argh you ********, *******

{

%s, shut up

omg lol profanity

dont swear plz, there r kids on here

}

I haven't set up a system for that because it would make it the bots take up valuable player slots all the time.

With the system I described earlier, you could set it up so that the bots will stay on the server until the server becomes nearly completely full. At that point, the bots would start leaving to make sure there's always room for more people. Or, finally, you could just have the bots ALWAYS be on the server by setting the minhumans cvar to higher than the maxclient amount for the server.

• 3 months later...

Responsive Bot chat would be great. Quake3 had it, after all.

Already we have the "order recieved" thing that bots respond to, so you could throw in other key words. Bots could give answers to commonly asked questions, crack jokes or say things that make them seem more lifelike. You could even toss in some feature that let the admin silence a bot or all bots if they wished perhaps (to prevent too much spammage if it got really annoying).

i can do a list of bot names if you want. Also i can do replys too.

hello

{

hi %s

}

omg bots

{

lol bots? what bots?

lmao.. we're not bots.. really

}

mod open jedi

{

yeah this is open jedi project

hehehe

wtf no the mods cool

}

mod lugor

{

that mod stinks

}

mmm, well, that's something I can look into. However, I'm not sure HOW dynamic we can make the responses without overallocating CPU processing to the test.

It's probably not a HUGE deal, just a matter of how much effort we're willing to put into it. I mean, even with different responses, people noticed canned replies fairly quickly.

• 3 weeks later...
i can do a list of bot names if you want. Also i can do replys too.

hello

{

hi %s

}

omg bots

{

lol bots? what bots?

lmao.. we're not bots.. really

}

mod open jedi

{

yeah this is open jedi project

hehehe

wtf no the mods cool

}

mod lugor

{

that mod stinks

}

LOL,

But heres a more More accurate program:

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()

{

cout << "Hello world! my name is Yangyan, and I can code in Stoner++!";

}

I could probably code better in that language too than C++! LOL, that was the extent of my knowledge that I just listed. While this is a mostly serious forum, it's important to occasionally bring a since of humor. Good job Yangyan, just don't get too carried away! LOL

:guiness:

erm.. have you ever looked at a bot file?

Died

{

You'll pay for this!

Why?!

}

Killed

{

That will teach you to defy me!

Take that!

}

OrderAccepted

{

As you wish.

}

Umm.. maybe what I did was similar, or totally off, but wow.. you must have a really large sense of humour. congratz.

Archived