Home

Darth Nihilus's Past

DarthSion101

Hey everyone, I was bored this morning, and got thinking about various characters from the KOTOR series. Nihilus popped into mind. He is so mysterious, the game developers left so much information about him out of the game. I was speculating where he might have come from, what he was before learning the power to feed on life.

My thoughts are, that he was probably someone unimportant who fought during the Mandalorian wars, which side is irrelevant. He probably crashed or got placed on Malachor V after the detonation of the Mass shadow generator.

He most likely discovered the academy, and learned his powers and made an alliance with Sion.

Just curious to know everyone else's thoughts.

I don't think so. Kreia says "several Sith Lords escaped Korriban, fleeing to remote sections of the galaxy." I imagine Nihilus fought with the Jedi during the Mandalorian War, and followed Revan and Malak during the Jedi Civil War. After the war on Korriban, he fled to Malachor V with Sion and met Kreia. It was there that he learned his power, and became enslaved by it.

There have been plenty of theories about Nihilus. My favorite is one is that he is a physical manifestation of the dark side; a living mirror to the exile who was re-forged by the intense force-echo at Malachor.

...or something like that.

Anyway, the description in his mask said that he was the beast who died and was reborn in the shattered world of Malachor V. That gives us a clue.

I believe Nihilus in the beginning was simply a man strong in the Force and like the Exile with a natral ability to form bonds easily. He seems to have somehow been altered by or to have learned from Malachor and the Exile's fate (the jedi masters mention something similar).

I guess that the Nihilus we see in the game still has the outer appearance of a man, but is so twisted by his hunger that he, instead of living normally, feeds upon the Force and the destructions of worlds. I always viewed him as a sort of "undead" - not unlike his minions you encounter onboard the "Ravager"

And about the "Just a man" thing ... IMO this simply symbolizes Nihilus' ultimate defeat by downgrading him from the ultimate menace to ... well ... "just a man" ;)

I have read a thread a long time ago where it is said what Nilhus says. He says (when played backwards) things like:

"Have you found the essence?"

"I didn't come here to just destroy this planet, I came for you."

These words he said imply that Nilhus is, possibly, a reincarnation of the Exile's Force that he had rejected in order to save himself. Nilhus possibly wanted to be the only one that can control thorugh the Force.

That's what I think.

There have been plenty of theories about Nihilus. My favorite is one is that he is a physical manifestation of the dark side; a living mirror to the exile who was re-forged by the intense force-echo at Malachor.

...or something like that.

Anyway, the description in his mask said that he was the beast who died and was reborn in the shattered world of Malachor V. That gives us a clue.

This is something I would prefer to believe...We'll never know though...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think CaptainSkye was on the rigth track. I didnt give it much thought I mostly thought wow I wish the people who made this game wouldve explaned everything better but based on what we have I think Nihlis was a Sith who fought at Malachor... when the mass shadow generator went off he was effected just like the exile. Howeve the exile is one of a kind.. so its not the same... he was altered and became like a void in the force. Twisted by the dark side at Malchor and the deaths and the Acedemy. Kinda like a doppelganger of the exile but not really. I think he physically was like a force vacume... he needed to consume the force and this gave him his immense power but it didnt matter because he was a void in it. I think like the exile he coudlve brought the destruction of the force itself.

My impression of Nihilus is similar to CaptainSkye's. Basically, the Jedi/Sith who was Nihilus experienced a death of the body at Malachor V, and with his dying breath, his most desperate moment, his will to survive leads him to accept the Dark Side literally _into_ his being because he believed it would save him. But not only does the Dark Side consume what remains of the Jedi/Sith Nihilus's being, it's insatiable thirst turns Nihilus into a vacuum for power. So he had a human body, which is what Visas _sees_ when she removes his mask, but there is nothing else human left about him. His actions are direct manifestations of the will of the Dark Side, unaltered by human faults or inhibitions.

Archived