Home

Serious Sam II PC Demo

Crow_Nest

Well beyond my ability to download... so i'm only basing coments on screenshots, but the ones i saw didn't seem to have much better graphics (more detailed characters, or more enemies) than SS1. (mind you SS1 looked excellent).

What are the improvements?

I've still got Second Encounter on my shelf to play after I finish Farcry (which i've got totally distracted from playing Metroid Prime)... but i loved the first one.

Well beyond my ability to download... so i'm only basing coments on screenshots, but the ones i saw didn't seem to have much better graphics (more detailed characters, or more enemies) than SS1. (mind you SS1 looked excellent).

What are the improvements?

I've still got Second Encounter on my shelf to play after I finish Farcry (which i've got totally distracted from playing Metroid Prime)... but i loved the first one.

FINALLY!!! Some other Serious Sam fans around here besides me and The Truthful Liar. As goofy as it is, you absolutely CANNOT deny the addiction that this game causes.

Serious Sam got Gamespot's coveted editor's choice award as well as Game of the year for 2001. The "Second Encounter" released in 2002, also recieved a 9.1 overall score! Serious Sam is really a basic first person shooter, that adds a rediculous amount of bad guys that quite litterally stampede you in every direction. Unlike similar titles, the game mostly takes place in the scorching desert sun, in exotic ancient locations! You could almost get a sunburn if you sit in front of the monitor too long! :p

Serious Sam on XBOX is a combination of Serious Sam, AND Serious Sam: The Second Encounter, with added hilarious cut scenes, and an interesting save feature that involves random "phone booths" that pop up in various parts of the game. I also have both those games on my pc as well, although the XBOX version loads alot quicker, and has a very nice frame rate. For that reason, I decided to reserve Serious Sam II for my xbox console.

Graphics on this game are terrific, and appreciated, yet it is the gameplay itself that is to be most appreciated. Serious Sam is really an arcade game at heart, and in Trailers for the new Serious Sam game are amazing! I am really looking forward to this release!

yeah it does have online co-op play for the demo, its a bit short though, but it does has some kick-a$$ vehicle action towards the end :p And the graphics seems to be on par with most of today's games. SS2 already owned that wannabe Painkiller game from what i've seen so far.

Requirements arent that high either, i could run on 1024x768 on high settings pretty well and maintain like 30 - 40 FPS in huge fights on my 9600XT

That demo is terrible. I loved the first Serious Sam, but this is ... A kick to the face. I have a good-ish computer, every specs I try to use it still runs like a slug. Also the HDR looked terrible. It made everything appear blindingly bright and annoying.

Also my sister broke my Audigy sound card, so I'm using on-board, and either half of the sounds are missing [Gun sounds are messed up, enemies make no sounds] or it's just that. Multiplayer also doesn't work for me. I can't join any game.

And the gameplay is below par for todays games. Run and gun gets boring after 5 minutes now. It was fun a while ago but now it just seems very, very dull. I admit some of the guns are pretty nice,

The cannonball launcher, the parrot bomb, and the bomb with the angry face on it, kills everything. If you want these just look up the cheats.

But apart from that, I'm very disappointed.

Well, i loved Serious Sam the First Encounter, the Second Encounter not so good though...

I watched the vid of this one (There is no way in hell my computer could run the demo) And i must say it looks brilliant, croteam really know how to code a graphics engine, one thing I must ask of those who have played the demo is, is the physics put to good use?

Well, i loved Serious Sam the First Encounter, the Second Encounter not so good though...

I watched the vid of this one (There is no way in hell my computer could run the demo) And i must say it looks brilliant, croteam really know how to code a graphics engine, one thing I must ask of those who have played the demo is, is the physics put to good use?

From what I saw [if you found the secret area] you could pick the vending machine up and throw it, also kick + shoot the football around. And the vehicle crashed quite nicely, but I dealt that counts as proper physics.

So, in my opinion, no.

hehe i loved multi-coop in the first game.. esp since u can could all play on the one comp. It was hilarious me and two friends all trying to reach the keys of one keyboard (the fourth guy got the mouse), shooting things in the air involved frantic tapping of "lookup" key (and very poor aim at that).

You can play online, just look for a server with its IP as the host name. Then go specify server and type in the IP. Then join the game. Worked for me.

If you get sluggish performance, then it could be a driver problem. I get no problems so far, except the game could hang at the main menu sometimes.

And HDR is supposed to be bright, thats what it looks like in real-life. Also its because the map is outdoors and is exposed to the sun. Sure there are still room for improvements, hopefully Croteam is able to do some last minute bug fixes before release.

Oh yeah and if you pick up the soccer ball in the secret area and throw it into the goal post to score a goal. A large health will appear. (The heart shaped one which gives you 100 health)

If it's a new SS game why are they calling it SS2? Why not "The Third Encounter" or something? Or am I just completely off base and confused?

because second encounter isnt Serious Sam 2, it was more like Serious Sam 1.5 Serious Sam 2 is a full sequel to 1st and 2nd encounter.

Oh ok. I remember at the end of The Second Encounter it saying 'to be continued' or concluded or something. Was that referring to this new game or a 'Third Encounter' or what?

Edit:

One more stupid question:

What do my computer specs need to be for this new SS game? I love the other 2 and want to be able to play this one.

NOTE: I Ripped all of the below from the Seriously! forums

Hardware Requirements:

CPU: AMD Athlon or Intel Pentium

RAM: 512MB

GFX: Graphics board with complete support for hardware pixel shaders (compliant with DirectX 8 or higher).

Drivers: newest available hardware drivers

DirectX 9.0c

Please make sure that DirectX9.0c is installed, and that you have updated your graphics card drivers.

Not supported:

- Windows 95, 98 and ME

- DirectX 7.0 or lower 3D accelerator, or one without DirectX 9.0 compatible driver

(Matrox Parhelia, nVidia TNT and GeForce1,2,4MX series, ATI Radeon 7000 series, Intel integrated graphics prior to 915G chipset, ...)

Minimum supported (low-end system):

CPU: ~1.5 GHz Athlon XP or Pentium M, or ~2 GHz Pentium 4

RAM: 256 MB

Sound: any DirectSound compatible sound board

Graphics: DirectX 8.0/8.1 compliant or low-end DirectX 9 3D accelerator

(nVidia GeForce3 and 4 series (not MX!), GeForceFX 5200 through 5700 series, ATI Radeon 8500 through 9200 and X300 series, S3 DeltaChrome or XGI Volari ... )

Recommended (mainstream):

CPU: ~2.0 GHz Athlon XP or Pentium M or ~2.6 GHz Pentium 4

RAM: 512 MB

Sound: DirectSound3D compliant sound board

(Creative SoundBlaster Live series, nVidia SoundStorm, ...)

Graphics: DirectX 9.0 compliant 3D accelerator

(nVidia GeForceFX 5900 series and GeForce 6200 and 6600 series, ATI Radeon 9500 thru 9800 and X600-X700 series, ...)

Full-experience (high-end):

CPU: ~2 GHz Athlon64, or ~3 GHz Pentium 4

RAM: 1 GB (1024 MB)

Sound: DirectSound3D with EAX 2.0+ sound board

(Creative SoundBlaster Audigy series, nVidia SoundStorm, ...)

Graphics: DirectX 9.0 high-end 3D accelerator

(nVidia GeForce6 6800 and 7800 series, ATI Radeon X800 and X850 series, ...)

Archived