Home

Splitscreen vs. Online

lukeskywalker1

As next all next generation consoles support online play, I am worried that the days of splitscreen gaming are gone. Nintendo used to be my main source of 2-4 play action, but now, with the addition of Wi-Fi I can see less games supported the splitscreen mode of play, and going only with the online MP.

Sure, online has its advantages, if all your friends are busy, or out of town, or just don't feel like playing you can hook up online and play against people you don't know. Or, if your friends can't leave home for some reason you can play online.

But its just not the same, some of my fondest memories are playing splitscreen multiplayer at friend's houses and with my sisters. I notice a lot of PS2 and Xbox games don't support splitscreen, or co-op or anything like that, while the GCN counterparts do. That means that those consoles get online, and while the GCN really doesn't support (theres one online GCN game) online play, they just give it splitscreen.

I like to have my friends around so we can play and eat pizza and drink soda while smashing our heads together in Super Smash Brothers Melee. Or we even take turns kicking butt in two player Soul Calubur II. We gun each other down and laugh at the loser in team deathmatch FPS games. All of that is gone with online play.

I guarantee playing online JK2 isn't as fun as playing JK2 on a GCN with splitscreen or in a lan party with friends (LAN DOESN'T COUNT, cause thats like splitscreen anyways)

I agree with you, it's a lot of fun having everyone in one room playing together. Hell, part of multiplayer for me is the cushions that go flying around the room after a match. Halo co-op wouldn't be as much fun online IMHO, and when I got xbox live for a couple of months I still played a lot more splitscreen than I did online.

Online for me is more for large-scale MP games, like Battlefield, Unreal Tournament, etc.

I love splitscreen multiplayer. You have the best fun with your mates on the same couch playing GoldenEye or Perfect Dark or Mario Kart. And you'd get so uber competative but still have so much damn fun laughing your head off when you make someone else crash. Or attach a proxy mine to someones back XD

I seriously love splitscreen. Just a week or so ago my friends and I dug out The Clone Wars for the GCN, and played multiplay Conquest (where you capture bases that produce units to hopefully destroy the enemy's HQ). We laughed so hard as we screamed propaganda to our units, like 'Die for the CIS cause!' or 'Brothers of the Republic, attack!' Online to me is only fun on the computer.

Back in the day when I used to have people to play with it was awesome. Especially just after university when we were in shared houses and used to play goldeneye with a hangover after constant nights out.

BUt as i've got older, people have got married, mortgages, jobs, etc.. there is less and less chance to get a group of people together to play. I'd guess that might be why, as the average age of gamers has gone up, online has become more popular. Its just more convienient... but not as much fun.

But as the number of gamers who have grown up start to have kids and want to buy games to play with their kids you will probably find that the "less serious" games still have splitscreen, while the hardcore ones like Halo 3 are pretty much just online.

I love split screen. But I get used to games really really fast, so I end up beating them at every game I play, and to be honest it drives me mad. I want an even fight! My brother used to be quite good at games, when he was 13, but i was 7 and I still kicked his butt..

Natural geek eh?

Split screen sucks.

Ok so it is good to be able to play along side the people you are playing, but the picture is imposibly difficult to see when it has been srunk that much.

LAN is good though. It was so much fun when I got my crossover cable and We could set up a direct conection between our laptops. jDoom, Quake (Darkplaces Engine), Serious Sam and Total Anihilation. Sadly I never got re-volt to work.

Serious Sam Co-op is the best, but with split screen it sucks.

Archived