Home

The Official AHTO "Cool Stuff" Thread :) (56k warning)

Astrotoy7

Wii games are region locked so you can't import them.
Damn! Oh well, that's quite annoying. I'll either have to sit and wait for games to be released in the UK, get an American Wii or hope some wonderful regionless device thingy arises for the Wii. Thanks for telling me that DM, atleast this has saved me money from importing Metroid Prime 3! :thumbsup:

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had never seen the Godfather till recently, and it's not overrated at all, awesome movie!
Yep arguebly (imo) the best mafia film ever made, it shows Francis Ford Coppola to be a gifted director and Mario Puzo (the original author of the novel with which the film is based upon) as a gifted novelist. You should watch Part 2, the best one out of the three IMO but i'd recommend you watch Part 3 last, one because it makes sense that way and two as it is the weakest of the trilogy IMO. However in The Godfather 3 the grown up Vincent Mancini (aka Vincenzo Corleone, Santino's son) certainly follows in his Uncle's footsteps as he takes over from Michael Coreleone as Don of the family, Andy Garcia arguebly playing as equally a good role as the infamous Al Pacino. So therefore Part 3 is still worth the look, in fact you can pick up the 5-disc boxset on DVD for around £15-£20, it's definately worth the price the pay if not more.

...Since this is a "COOL STUFF THREAD" i thought i'd post these pics: ...

Um, no. The cool stuff thread is all about stuff that you have bought that you would like to show other members, see page 1.

Im sure if you were paying attention you would have noticed that everyone else was doing that for the last several pages :D

please dont spam it with gag pics most of us have already seen :(

mtfbwya

~snip~ Picture of Metroid Prime 3: Corruption ~snip~

Pretty awesome so far, graphics and controls are sweet.

I need to pick me a up a copy of that, I did get myself a copy of this though...

270001b.jpg

It's hellaciously fun, especially if you go online with 3 of your buddies for some crazy online splitscreen action... though the screens to get kinda small... oh well

Um, no. The cool stuff thread is all about stuff that you have bought that you would like to show other members, see page 1.

Im sure if you were paying attention you would have noticed that everyone else was doing that for the last several pages :D

please dont spam it with gag pics most of us have already seen :(

mtfbwya

Well i thought they were cool pics anyway. I know what this thread is about since i've read almost every post on it, so i've already read "page 1" and knew what everyone was doing for the last "few pages". Therefore i know what this thread is about, and thought i'd post some cool pics (imo). So um, yes i posted these pics as i wanted to contribute to the thread and the only cool thing that i've recently bought is a Wii, of which i'm sure no one particularly wants to know about as most people on the thread have probs already got one anyways! BTW, what does "mtfbwya" mean, i'm not too good with a lot of abbreviations.

P.S. For the record, if you as a moderator would also be paying attention to this thread you would have noticed posts of which don't necessarily contribute to the thread and so could also be considered as "spam" such as below:

Oh Yeahhhh.
Just thought i'd point that out to you.

OK, boys, enough about the pics, please, unless you all want to take it to PMs. Gargoyle_King, feel free to post the pics in an appropriate thread (there are several depending on how you want to categorize your pics as humor, etc.), since this is a 'stuff' thread and comments about the stuff. If you see a spam post, please hit the report post yellow button below the avatar to report it. The forum has been glitchy the last couple days, hence the reason why not all problems have been addressed yet. --Jae

@ Jae: It's alright, i won't bother reposting the pics (forgot the links on imageshack anyways :) ). I meant no offence to the moderator about my post, it's just i find it rude that they express that i'm "spamming" and not reading the "thread rules" when that moderator fails to notice spam posting themselves, that's all. But i didn't know the forum was glitchy, so sorry about causing problems, i know the job as a moderator is probably stressful as it is without peeps like me causing any problems. :thumbsup:

I should have enough to buy one of these two great notebooks in about a month or two, i was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for me of which one would be the better buy, as i don't wan't to waste a lot of money (they're quite expensive):

1: The Area-51 m9750

53647591lf9.jpg

2: DELL XPS M1710

96230373tp2.jpg

I'v read all the tech specs and everything, just can't really decide which is the better notebook.

JSUK Gargoyle_King, both those Gaming laptops are reviewed in the latest ish (#049) of Custom PC, for sale at Asda or any good news agents...

The one that emerged victorious though is neither, it ended up being the Rock Xtreme CTX Pro, which you can see here

This might possibly get moved to the Tech section anyways, but that mag I was talking about has a good section on how to build your own PC and all the tricks and traps involved ;)

JSUK Gargoyle_King, both those Gaming laptops are reviewed in the latest ish (#049) of Custom PC, for sale at Asda or any good news agents...

The one that emerged victorious though is neither, it ended up being the Rock Xtreme CTX Pro, which you can see here

This might possibly get moved to the Tech section anyways, but that mag I was talking about has a good section on how to build your own PC and all the tricks and traps involved ;)

Thanks for the info Negative Sun, i'll definately look into this, especially since it's cheaper than the other two.

lolz.... thank you Gargoyle King for bringing Reclaimers terrible oversight to my attention !!!

Nice laptops...one recommendation though - if you are a heavy gamer...get a cooling pad...notebooks arent exactly ideally designed for thermal dissipation !!

I prefer a smallform over a laptop, because you can build it yourself, upgrade GPU and CPU etc much easily...and they are significantly cheaper... with the $$ you save you can put it towards a decent display..... >>> [/segue]

I finally got my 305T..... 2650 x 1600 at 30" ....

Im using it as my primary display at 2560 x 1600 for surfin/workin - most games Im playing at 1080p.... some of them at 2048 x 1536 My 8800GTS 640MB isnt breaking a sweat to match 60fps(the screen does 2500 x 1600 at 60Hz)

Im using my old 19" LCD as a secondary display (at 800x600) for music/video/tv via vista media center interface Im really pleased with it - Dual-link DVI input, 6ms resp rate. Will eventually be plugging a ps3 into it as well via HDMI :p

All those years of being stuck at 1280 x1024 for gaming are OVER !

Recommended bit of kit.

pics: playing good ole JA at 2048 x 1536 has put a new lease of life into an old game. Amazing JA works flawlessly in Vista(KOTOR doesnt really)

Ive been playing BFME2 and NWN2 at this rez as well, it all looks so pretty :D

Now...all I need is Bioshock and Crysis :p

My pc is the shuttle sn27p2. I purchased it as barebone and added AMD x2 5000(waiting for AM2+ quaddies).EVGA 8800 GTS 640MB, 3GB DDr2800 on Vista x64 etc. All workin smoothly ;)

305tjatc7.jpg

305tamccol4.jpg

mtfbwya

Now...all I need is Bioshock and Crysis :p
lolz you might have some trouble running that at such a high rez pal, the benchies for heavy DX9 games like F.E.A.R. and Oblivion don't usually run that smoothly above 1680x1050, unless you've got a GTX me thinks...

But if your ego can take the downtuning of the rez it'll still look flipping amazing...that monitor is bigger than my flippin TV!

lolz you might have some trouble running that at such a high rez pal, the benchies for heavy DX9 games like F.E.A.R. and Oblivion don't usually run that smoothly above 1680x1050, unless you've got a GTX me thinks...

But if your ego can take the downtuning of the rez it'll still look flipping amazing...that monitor is bigger than my flippin TV!

Yeah, Im sure I'll have to scale it back to about 1600 x1200 for bioshock etc. It always seems to be the glow and bloom effects that bite into performance, and they are the best to tweak. I'd prefer highest AA and AF for crisper lines and textures

Im tempted to load oblivion just to stress test my system....

still, NWN2 and dark messiah look fine above 1080p. (a smooth 60fps)

Dont forget that the "benchies" that report 120fps with an uber setup are quite misleading...

thats what fraps is reporting, but what the tester is seeing is usually 60-80fps. Not many gamers have an 120Hz monitor :p

my TV is 40" LCD but is 1366 x 768 only, which is fine for the bollocks interlaced TV we get :p

mtfbwya

@Astro: man, i keep looking at that monitor, and i'm just wishing i could afford one. :(

seriously, my two old CRT monitors work just fine, but i'm really wanting a big LCD monitor like that one. $600+ for a high res screen like that is a hard pill to swallow for me mainly due to my affliction of tuitionpaymentitis. :fist:

@Astro: man, i keep looking at that monitor, and i'm just wishing i could afford one. :(

seriously, my two old CRT monitors work just fine, but i'm really wanting a big LCD monitor like that one. $600+ for a high res screen like that is a hard pill to swallow for me mainly due to my affliction of tuitionpaymentitis. :fist:

take heart stinger...Im assuming youre in your early 20s.... when I was a student I didnt have two pennies to rub together....and didnt have a computer at all until I was about 28... I handed in my uni essays hand-written :( I had a c64 and an amiga when I was a kid, but they were hand me downs and never served me in high school or uni.

Go see page 1 of this thread...my very first post was me getting excited about that 19" LCD !! :

*19" phillips LCD flatscreen monitor.... Ive been using 15" until now, and the difference is bewildering...

That was pre me learning how to build my own etc... so that all happenned within the last 2 years :)

still, you can get a decent sized 24" monitor that does 1080p for the $600 or less... The 305T still costs about $1300 US so is beyond the scope of most students I know. I only got one because I got a great tax return and have no kids to squander my $$ on :D

@ NegSun.... Been fiddling with settings .... turning down bloom and fancy shadow effects off... NWN2 at 2560 x 1600 is pretty darn spectacular :) Its great that game allows you to tweak so much of the settings.

Im going to be definitely fishing doom3 out of the vaults, see what I can get out of that..

mtfbwya

Wow, that is indeed an impressive kit you got there, thanks for the tips Astrotoy7! Can you get a similar kit like this but in notebook form as i'm a bit of "on the go" junkie, so i like to play games on the move (a reason why i still have my PSP, although i know popularity for Sonys handheld is admittedly dying out). What does Vista handle like as i'm on XP, is the OS easy to handle and get used to?

let's not completely kill the bandwidth for the page. change the tags to tags in your quotes. ;) ~stingerhs

The FF III Remake on the DS is simply sublime... :)

I still play the original FFTactics on pc using epsxe(ps1 emu) and my **original copy** of FFT..which I had to get off ebay as it was never released here in Oz...great stuff

@ Gargoyle.... if I *had* to pick a gaming notebook.... the choice is simple >>

The Alienware Aurora mALX. Turions are cooler *temp wise*, you get a 19" screen and its SLI enabled...still its damn expensive at $3999 US. You could build the most amazing quadcore + 8800GTX ULTRA OC rig with that and still have money to buy a screen like mine !!! This is why I abandoned using laptops a long time ago. I do have an ultramobile pc which I use for work. The shuttle smallforms fit under your arm or in a bag, pretty mobile for a LAN... but no good on your lap of course :)

mtfbwya

I have FFIII on the DS as well and am currently playing through it. My Dark Knight is routinely doing 4000-6500 damage on a straight out attack to a single enemy and around 3000 for a full HP Souleater. And I haven't even gotten to the fourth crystal yet. xD

Needless to say, I'm totally stoked for FFXII: Revenant Wings coming out in November. :)

@ Gargoyle.... if I *had* to pick a gaming notebook.... the choice is simple >>

The Alienware Aurora mALX. Turions are cooler *temp wise*, you get a 19" screen and its SLI enabled...

But is SLI really worth it though? I don't know from experience but some reviews I've read show that in some games you get the same FPS from one 7950GT than you would with two of them...

@ NegSun.... Been fiddling with settings .... turning down bloom and fancy shadow effects off... NWN2 at 2560 x 1600 is pretty darn spectacular :) Its great that game allows you to tweak so much of the settings.

So I've read, I was just commenting on this game the other day on Gamespot, where the reviewer stated that it didn't matter whether the processor you play it with was dual core or single core since the game doesn't take advantage of multithreading technology, but then the ad at the top of the page said "NWN2, powered by Core2Extreme" or something similar, which made me lol

I'll still need to pick it up some day cause apparently people with crappier rigs than mine (I know, they exist!) are able to play the game at low settings, so I'll give it a go once I get my new (budget) GPU...

@Astro, Dude, you really do need to get some kids to squander stuff on :D

Seriously.

@NS, I built a 7950gt in this rig around last christmas, it does alright, but I'd take sli'ing it over not just about any day of the week:xp: (ideally I would probably have some of those 8800gtx's or something sli'ed... if I was stinkin rich)

Although you want a laptop and I'm not sure what the differences there are.

@NS, I built a 7950gt in this rig around last christmas, it does alright, but I'd take sli'ing it over not just about any day of the week:xp: (ideally I would probably have some of those 8800gtx's or something sli'ed... if I was stinkin rich)

Although you want a laptop and I'm not sure what the differences there are.

Does it really make a difference? What sorta games do you tend to play...

To keep it on topic:

I ordered 2 tickets to see T.Rextacy, a T.Rex tribute band, apparently the guy looks and sounds exactly like Marc Bolan, and since it's the 30th anniversary of his death, I'm sure they'll have something good in stock for us :)

@Astro -- what keyboard is that you have your pics?

Its the logitech Ultra flat keyboard...I cant find them on newegg for you US peeps. Theyre all over the place here - $20 damn dollars !! I dont mind it at all

@NegSun...head over to tech area when you feel like unravelling the mysteries of SLI...

mtfbwya

Archived