Home

The Official AHTO "Cool Stuff" Thread :) (56k warning)

Astrotoy7

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My new Revan Mask... I only usually go for Lightsaber replicas, but this looked awesome...

IMG_0441.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

Pretty cool... Well I like it, a guy on eBay makes them, He hand casts them in fiberglass, then airbrushes the detail and weathering. He does Nihilus and Mandalore masks as well, I've just ordered a Mandalore.

I finally have the pocket pc/pda I mentioned earlier.... now - Im in the process of buying this nifty gadget.... The HTPC shift ultramobile pc

It will mainly be used for work/uni and moonlight as a vista media center pc for my car :)

Its quite simply awesome. Very similar to the asus r2h I was originally going to get. It has the usual stylus tablet pc interface, but also has a slide away keyb... very handy for field work - even moreso is the fact that it takes tri/quad/UMTS sim cards. No messing around with wifi hotspots...use your phone sim and get online ANYWHERE you can get a signal. This feature alone is worth its weight in pizza+gold. I hate getting to wifi hotspots to get some stuff done :)

Ive been using a colleagues one for a little while...they are a tech fanboys dream. Plus, they weigh only 800g !

htc-shift.jpg

mtfbwya

Sexay stuff Astro!

I'm looking to upgrade my phone once I can renew my contract...

I'm looking at either the HTC S710 (which is a smartphone with Windows Mobile 6 and Wifi and such, and it's got a keyboard) or the HTC P3600 (which is a PDA phone with WM5 but it has satnav and Wifi and such on it, but no keyboard, but it's prettier!)

I really can't decide between those two, though I've still got time to decide...

I like having a keyboard and numpad and stuff but I also like a huge screen and teh sexyness lolz

Id go for the P3600 easily. I really cannot use such miniscule keypads, and I have quite delicate fingers too ! One of the reasons I went for the htc touch was because it was oriented towards using finger input for calls, which was annoying in other small-footprint PPCs without thrid party apps. The P3600 will also give you more screen 'real estate', which is very important if you want to actually use it for docs and net browsing.

its good to see htc doing it on their own now, theyve been making the devices for other brands for years, only last year they decided to release phones with their own brand on it.

mtfbwya

Hmmm, I was looking at the HTC Touch and it seems my phone provider has that one as well, so you seem to have used it, would you recommend it?

I would indeed. Be aware though, its quite petite - even smaller than my previous o2 atom, so screen real estate isnt massive. The HTC software has indeed been designed to make phone calls and accessing media touch friendly. You only need to get your stylus out for typing.

The iphone rip off sliding menus is cool though. I love how you can scroll quickly through contact lists.

If you like phoning with keypads, there is a htc touch with a slide out keypad, but it defeats the purpose of the touch interface IMO !

I got mine from ebay... $200 cheaper than retail places, new, full warranty etc. I *hate* dealing with providers, who lock you into 2-3 plans. For tax reasons, I need to change my pda once a year, so I buy a phone outright. Ive even gone the prepaid route to control my bills now. Works a treat.

mtfbwya

• 2 weeks later...

Heh, my sister wants me to hook her up with a wacom when I put together her computer.

9X12! I told her she should just use the money to have pizza delivered to my place for a month.

Crysis demo was completely screwed up for me, I'll wait for a few patches and maybe a DX10 card before I touch it again.

good luck with crysis stinger... Let us know how it goes on your similarly specd x64 rig :)

@RJM....I'd think carefully about that DX10 card purchase if crysis is what you want to play. Anything from an 8600 512 up will get you going. At this very moment though, there isnt a card on the planet(working single or in SLI) that can run crysis at HD resolutions with maxxed settings. The best I can get on a 8800GTS 640MB is medium settings(and a couple on high) at 1920 x 1080.

All the visual enhancements that sets this game apart from others will basically go unseen by many for a while to come :p

mtfbwya

Oh, I'm still not going DX10 for a while, it just annoys the crap out of me that it isn't stable on my system when it should be playable at decent settings with all drivers properly updated. It was probably the worst artifacting I've seen in any game I've played.

Even the cutscenes were horribly torn. In the opening sequence of the demo you are in the back of a plane preparing for a dive to the island below...

Exterior to the aircraft half the plane was missing and I could clearly see the background through it, inside all the characters where blacked out except for their eyes which I could see the entire spheroid models of complete with the textures that aren't possibly viewable during normal gameplay, during the jump was when the artifacting really kicked in, I had the entire screen pretty much broken up with a hazy copy of the entire screen Picture-in-Pictured over top of it, the island itself was nearly unplayable.

I have a decent system setup with everything updated and running properly and no problems with any other recent game I've played.

I hope they've done a lot of recoding since the demo build.

And as for the pizza I was only kidding, it wouldn't last a week.

Archived