Home

The Official AHTO "Cool Stuff" Thread :) (56k warning)

Astrotoy7

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Firstly, a quick thank you to my taxlady ;)

Unfortunately, my love for shuttle small form factor PCs > my disdain for intel chequered business poilcies... So I now have this as my new gaming pc. I want to state that I also built an amd based secondary htpc as an 'intel offset.' Damn you intel for making the corei7 halfway decent....

The kit I got:

Shuttle X58H7 small form factor x58/corei7 barebone unit

SX58H7-1.jpg

For those who havent seen a shuttle smallform before, here's a good illustration of their size. Just a bit taller than a shoebox (Im US size 10 :p ) For me, portability is important, but still having the freedom to DIY/tinker/upgrade as a normal pc (unlike a laptop)

shoeboxcompare.jpg

Intel Corei7 920 2.66 Ghz. (overclocks comfortably to 3.2Ghz. but Ive found I dont really need to do that)

intel-corei7-920.jpg

4GB Corsair DDR3 1333

corsairTWO.jpg

EVGA GTX 285 1GB superclocked edition

EVGA_GeForce_GTX_285_Superclocked_E.jpg

The GTX 285 will also be a handy addition to teamLFN folding efforts ;)

Now Im just waiting on Mass Effect 2, Assassins Creed 2, FIFA 10 and a few others...

mtfbwya

It looks like I'll need your advice for my future 800 sq ft geek (but sexy) computer-piano-tv mezzanine...I'm trying to make the plans but the damn wires are always in the way and ruin it all...I so hate wires!

Why do I get the feeling i'm the only one most excited by the piano part? :(

The GTX 285 wasnt cutting it, so Ive gone for the EVGA GTX 295 Co-op single PCB edition. Needless to say, it kicks much a$$ in gaming, folding and the ole wallet ;)

Climbing around 12th Century Damascus and Jerusalem at 2500 x 1600p is am amazing thing to behold(Assassins Creed on PC)

295inx58.jpg

mtfbwya

The GTX 285 wasnt cutting it, so Ive gone for the EVGA GTX 295 Co-op single PCB edition. Needless to say, it kicks much a$$ in gaming, folding and the ole wallet ;)

Climbing around 12th Century Damascus and Jerusalem at 2500 x 1600p is am amazing thing to behold(Assassins Creed on PC)

mtfbwya

Hey Astro, what type of case is that? I heard that the GTX 200 series cards were big (they're about 10.5 in), but that looks massive.

Is it still the Shuttle X58H7 from a few posts ago?

_EW_

a 285 wasn't cutting it?? yeesh, you and your super high res demands. :rolleyes:

willing to part ways with your ol' 285?? :p

Is it still the Shuttle X58H7 from a few posts ago?

Yep :) They're Specifically designed to (just) fit those huge freakers in :thmbup1:

@stinger. I have a 285 and 275(unopened) sitting in my study. A friend is picking one tonight. The remainder will be sold. I would recommend you peer into the teamLFN social group miniforum to learn the details why the 285 actually irritated me (apart from the 1600p factor). I think its something any potential high end card duyer should know, especially ones who like folding + quiet !

mtfbwya

I'm working 70+ hours this week. This would normally be a very bad thing but I'm doing work as a contracted electronics engineer being paid hourly to help build the new Sony wireless in-store displays, so, yeah.

Hourly on top of overtime? Either way, that's a good amount of cash!

^^^Holy crap! That's...probably the most lovable piece of camping equipment I ever saw.

Agreed! What brand/temp range/fill material is that?!?

It's a Coleman North Rim. Supposed to keep you warm down to 0º. I haven't fully tested it out yet, obviously because it doesn't get that cold yet, but I'm definitely looking forward to that day.

^^^Thanks. ;)

I'm working 70+ hours this week. This would normally be a very bad thing but I'm doing work as a contracted electronics engineer being paid hourly to help build the new Sony wireless in-store displays, so, yeah.

I so envy you. But more than that I'm actually very happy for you.

Crazy time of year, but a good kind of crazy for you.

Hourly on top of overtime? Either way, that's a good amount of cash!

Yes especially considering what all he gets to do for a living.

Where I'm stuck patchin' driveways this weekend.

Anyway I have some stuff I'd like to share:

Got all these trinkets at a yard sale for 50 cents a piece.

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=3949
Show spoiler

picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=3948

Show spoiler

picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=3947

Show spoiler

picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=3946

Show spoiler

picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=3945

The shiny black item in the background that somewhat resembles a lightsaber hilt with a wrist strap is in fact such. Don't have batteries for it right now, but it is in fact a "Plasma Fire Saber" with a blue 24" blade you can in fact purchase here. It was a X-mas gift a couple years ago.

Decided that digging around and coming across one of my old "Axes" that I'd break it out and show it. Nothing too fancy, but for me it worked. My dad wanted me to be a musician, but I wasn't cut out for more than just casual playing. It's been a long time since I even did *that*.

Show spoiler
picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=3950

Archived