Home

The Official AHTO "Cool Stuff" Thread :) (56k warning)

Astrotoy7

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

375293_3.jpg

I've never particularly liked or understood Shakespeare all that much, but someone recommended this version, with a 19th century backdrop to me, so I picked it up and watched it this afternoon.

I really enjoyed it. It was a little difficult to understand, mainly because i'm not familiar with Shakespeare at all (I know, I know :p), but I got the jist of it, and I really liked it. The massive, all-star cast really help with this, especially some brilliant acting from the main stars.

It's given me a new perspective on Shakespeare, and it's definitely changed my attitude from my school days. :)

^^^I'll have to check it out. I could use a refresher myself. Actually did a play on Hamlet in high school.

I am in no way trying to interrupt anything or anyone, but when Disney princess girls are found to be force sensitive, it begs the question if they will go the path of the light, or turn to the dark side. Behold:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Sith_Princesses_by_JosephB222.jpg

How naughty. (Credit to my friend JosephB222 @ deviantart!)

I've never particularly liked or understood Shakespeare all that much, but someone recommended this version, with a 19th century backdrop to me, so I picked it up and watched it this afternoon.

I really enjoyed it. It was a little difficult to understand, mainly because i'm not familiar with Shakespeare at all (I know, I know :p), but I got the jist of it, and I really liked it. The massive, all-star cast really help with this, especially some brilliant acting from the main stars.

It's given me a new perspective on Shakespeare, and it's definitely changed my attitude from my school days. :)

Bill's best work. :thmbup1:

Did you get the full four hour (eternity) version or the cut version? The DVD transfer does real justice to the 70mm film, which is just stunning, really (each image on the negative is about the size of a postcard o_0); I only wish more films were shot in it nowadays.

The key criticism I have, though, of Branagh's Hamlet is the fact that he has Fortinbras invade at the end, for which he not only has no textual evidence but, in fact, also ends up confusing the script. Why would Fortinbras fire cannons for the ambassador of England if he were an invading force? Still it's better than Olivier, who cuts the political subplot entirely, a move which baffles me, I'll be honest. Still, Branagh's graveyard scene is phenomenal.

Derek Jacobi steals the show, to be honest; he's also the only actor I've seen portray Claudius with his full depth. The "full" text (it's not actually "full" because Branagh conflates two, very slightly different, "full" versions to form a "fuller" version) and Jacobi's acting give the breadth to show Claudius's progression from the good man gone wrong to the arch-manipulator. From wanting to find out what is wrong with Hamlet, to sending him away, to ordering his execution.

18543_1247042133.jpg

I still cannot believe that you've never seen the Dollars Trilogy, Darathy...

Bill's best work. :thmbup1:

Did you get the full four hour (eternity) version or the cut version? The key criticism I have of Branagh's Hamlet is the fact that he has Fortinbras invade, for which he not only has no textual evidence but, in fact, also ends up confusing the script. Why would Fortinbras fire cannons for the ambassador of England if he were an invading force? Still it's better than Olivier, who cuts the political subplot entirely, a move which baffles me, I'll be honest. Still, Branagh's graveyard scene is phenomenal.

Derek Jacobi steals the show, to be honest; he's also the only actor I've seen portray Claudius with his full depth. The "full" text (it's not actually "full" because Branagh conflates two, very slightly different, "full" versions to form a "fuller" version) and Jacobi's acting give the breadth to show Claudius's progression from the good man gone wrong to the arch-manipulator. From wanting to find out what is wrong with Hamlet, to sending him away, to ordering his execution.

I got the full four-hour, two disc special edition. At first I thought it might have been a mistake to jump straight into Shakespeare with something so hefty, but I can see now I made a good choice.

I can definitely agree with your points about the graveyard and Jacobi's performance (I'd known he was widely respected as a Shakespeare performer, and now I can see why).

I was also pleasantly surprised to see Robin Williams in there as Osric - a character that seemed to fit him well. I'm going to watch it again with Branagh and Jackson's commentary when I find the time, so I can get as much from it as possible.

I still cannot believe that you've never seen the Dollars Trilogy, Darathy...

Blasphemy! :p

Well, I got some nice gifts for my birthday, including a nice pair of cuff-links, a small DVD player to replace my broken one, and strangely, a Mars bar. :raise:

But i'm very happy with the two DVD box-sets I got - the hints i'd been dropping appeared to have paid off. :lol:

Firstly, Sharpe - it's not one I necessarily would have bought myself, as I know each episode almost inside out, but it's nice to finally own them (barring the most recent two, which aren't included).

Show spoiler
699087.jpg

And secondly, Napoleon, a historical docu-drama depicting the successes and failures of Bonaparte's life and reign as Emperor of the French.

Show spoiler
NAPOLEON%20DVD%202D.dvdfull.jpg

I just hope that John Malkovich doesn't have the same hammy French accent as he did in Johnny English.

While I'd say that VtMB is a very good game, I didn't exactly "get" into it. While the setting and the writing was superb, a good deal of the quests became stale fairly quickly, particularly the ones that had you walking from district after district on a rather uninteresting courier task.

The third act was probably the weakest, especially with the amount of uninspired enemies you had to cut through, just to get to an insanely difficult and brief boss fight. Still, Troika got pigeon-holed when pressed to release, so stuff had to be cut, especially the ending, as in Obsidian's case, so I can't really blame them...

Just picked up a 500 gig Seagate Free Agent Go from my local Micro Center for $110 along with a dock and case. Haven't really tested it out much yet, but I have got a few games that don't require registry entries to run pretty well off of it... almost as well as offo of my Patriot XPorter 8gig... I'll 'live' with that preformance.

^Be prepared for something of a culture shock. They're very... different. Being "pure" turn-based with a system of "action points" is certainly something which takes getting used to, and they're far more "free-roaming", too. The first couple of quests in FO1 aren't exactly inspired, either. I tried FO1 a while back and didn't like it myself, though so I may be rather biased. Hope you enjoy them more.

On-topic, something I picked up the other day:

9780232513691.jpg

Copypasta'd

I'll just repeat the last three posts. Just like everyone else, I got Beatles Rock Band for the 360 too. Revolution is an excellent song, and is now my favorite song ever.

BUT

I got:

6a00b8ea0683a7dece00c2251c4be78fdb-500pi

AND

Cacophony-SpeedMetalSymphony-Front.jpg

Awesome, or very awesome?

EDIT: Speed Metal Symphony is truly awesome. It has a hidden track called "The Ninja." Truly epicly awesome and awesomely epic.

i just got the "Scum and Villiany RPG Guide"!!! it's sweet!!!!

Show spoiler
WOC2193172_500.jpeg

I really need to get a shift on with getting the newer books. I haven't bought a SAGA edition book since Knights of the Republic - and I know I definitely need the Legacy Campaign Guide, as well as the Jedi Academy Training Manual,Rebellion Era Campaign Guide and the soon-to-be-released Galaxy at War.

Ah well, I can dream...

I really need to get a shift on with getting the newer books. I haven't bought a SAGA edition since Knights of the Republic - and I know I definitely need the Legacy Campaign Guide, as well as the Jedi Academy Training Manual,Rebellion Era Campaign Guide and the soon-to-be-released Galaxy at War.

Ah well, I can dream...

this is the only new one i have. besides that i have the 2nd edition :xp:

Show spoiler
391px-Outcast_cover.jpg

I know quite a few people dislike the NJO and after books, but overall I quite liked LOTF, even if some of it did seem a little stupid (and I like the Legacy series of comics, so i'm interested to see how things got the stage they are by that time).

I was a bit annoyed when I saw it in Waterstone's this morning, but it was full price, while I managed to get it for £6 less from Play.com.

I've got tickets to see these mother****ers in October with Deftones.

Slipknot-AllHopeIsGone2008.jpg

On Tuesday, I went to see Killswitch Engage, In Flames, and Protest The Hero. ****ing awesome. Meet Protest The Hero. They definitely have to be my favourite band right now and bought this bad ass shirt.

pth_poseidon_shirt_thumb.jpg

Eventually I hope to get their other shirts, with Hades and Boreas.

Archived