Home

The Official AHTO "Cool Stuff" Thread :) (56k warning)

Astrotoy7

More life for this thread:science:

On a recent trip to Michigan my grandfather gave me this knife:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
picture.php?albumid=480&pictureid=4650

picture.php?albumid=480&pictureid=4651

picture.php?albumid=480&pictureid=4652

And this comic book:

Show spoiler
picture.php?albumid=480&pictureid=4653

Yeah, I know the image quality is crappy.:whacked:

The knife was almost covered in rust when he gave it to me. I've gotten most of it off, and when I've gotten all the rust off and sharpened the blade, I'll get another pic.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just found a "brand new" copy of Rebel Assault II in my cupboard, still with its original box and documentation.

Naturally, I whacked it in my machine and had a lovely nostalgic playthrough. It took about 40 minutes or so to complete at a guess, and I didn't die once. :D

The Mining Tunnels, TIE Training and Speeder Bikes are the three levels that annoy me the most and I used to take about 7-8 tries at them to complete them.

Guess all that practice when I used to play this as a kid paid off. >_>

The live action cut scenes were the best part though, obviously. :D

For all my talk of having had enough of the fantasy setting, I got sucked into another fantasy story, which nicely balances out all the 'serious' stuff I'm reading. Luckily, no Orcs, Trolls or anything like that, and the appearance of magic and dragons is limited.

Show spoiler
martin-serie.jpg

George Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire. The image shows the Dutch covers, because Dutch covers are always superior to their American/British counterpart.

Edit: And as not to mistake this post for one for the "What are you reading" thread, I bought these. :p

I picked up last weekend a first edition copy of Tolkiens Fellowship of the ring. Found it in a charity shop for £2. I felt guilt so gave them a £5.

Ah, I love that book! The whole trilogy is great. Tolkien's books were some of they best buys i've ever made. :p

Ah, I love that book! The whole trilogy is great. Tolkien's books were some of they best buys i've ever made. :p

I agree completly. This is amazing. I even has a hand drawn map of middle earth that unfolds to nearly A3 size attached to the back still.

I just love charity shops, as you never know what you might find in one - such as this beauty -

picture.php?albumid=100&pictureid=4847

I was walking past one of the many in town yesterday, when it caught my eye in the window. I wasn't able to get it then, as my hands were full with other shopping, but I decided it'd be worth popping in this morning to see whether it was still there, and how much it was. I'm not normally one to buy such things, but in this case I was willing to make an exception. :)

So after a quick bus ride, I cautiously noticed an elderly couple admiring it in the window, so went and enquired - it was only £15! I was shocked and surprised, that something so nice could be on sale for as little as that. Of course, that didn't stop me paying for it (with a little extra). I feel a little guilty for just swooping in, but it was too good an opportunity to pass up. :¬:

It's only a print of the painting, 'The Rearguard' by J.P. Beadle (which is regimental property of the Royal Green Jackets, and on display in their museum), depicting the British Army's retreat to Corruna in 1808-09, but the same print, from an online dealer would cost nearly £40 more, and I don't think that includes a frame.

Of course, now I need to find a place to hang the damn thing. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

TaoofWu.jpg

Finally got myself a copy of this. :)

Edit: Started the book this afternoon and finished it in a sitting. It was incredibly insightful and a well done bit of work. It was really amazing reading the observations that RZA was able to make of not only those around him, but the observations he made of himself and how he used the information to further his improvement as an individual. I recommend it to anyone who's a fan of the Wu-Tang Clan and those who are always seeking to be a master of themselve and the world around them. RZA proves himself to really be a person of great intelligence.

Archived