Home

The Official AHTO "Cool Stuff" Thread :) (56k warning)

Astrotoy7

EDIT: Oh, I also got invited to Google Wave. Major Awesome.

Google have done an awesome job at hyping wave up like it's the second coming. Myself and a bunch of colleagues from another forum I toil at all got invites - and for a period we were beset with geeky rapture. Then when you actually get on its all a bit of an anticlimax. Just imagine Vbulletin+Email, and an embedded collaboration interface. It's interesting, handy, but not really worth the froth its been causing.

mtfbwya

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just imagine Vbulletin+Email, and an embedded collaboration interface. It's interesting, handy, but not really worth the froth its been causing.

It's actually a great study aid. Before every World History test, me and my buddies get together on Wave and review. It's great.

• 2 weeks later...

GTA worketh away in his hardware-tech workshop, conceveth and producing various creation that he so loved. Thy latest creation beith that of thy Star Wars variety.

GTA, though not as grand as some, designeth a custom lightsaber, hilt, blade, pommel, color, switch, and all.

He worketh away, toiling scrounging away and utilizing his humble craftsmanship, carefully biding his time. Once he obtaineth thy needed parts and tools, his creative force set to work and leisurely over thy course of 7 days, 7 nights, he made thy creature you see before you.

picture.php?albumid=523&pictureid=5250

Then he surrounded in darkness spoke in the beginning of its life and said:

"LET THERE BE LIGHT...SABER!"

picture.php?albumid=523&pictureid=5252

Another view of thy creature, in thy light of it's creator.

picture.php?albumid=523&pictureid=5251

Dimmed light I insert thy blade into it and hold in my hand as it were meant to be:

picture.php?albumid=523&pictureid=5253

A nice view of thy blade endowed it, he christened thee it 'the silver':

picture.php?albumid=523&pictureid=5254

So I present to fellow forumers here on LF, my new custom made lightsaber.

Thats sweet dude, I got a load of Prop hilts, but I never took the time to make my own (Metal with electrics I mean, I have turned solid material on a lathe and fashioned a few quite nice hilts) :)

also like the Spike! Nice for an inside Hilt Strike

^^^Thanks man. My saber ended up being overall about 4 feet long. For the spike I went to a local goth and piercing head shop.

One caveat about a spike: You cannot do a downward strike pointing straight forward lest you bring the spike into your own stomach--I'd recommend for maneuverability that you avoid the long acute spikes.

I'm thinking of either felt or rubber, perhaps a bike handlegrip, and some O rings and I already have an addition to put onto the emitter end. Maybe a belt ring clip so I can take it to a convention. (Now just to actually make my battlemaster outfit!) Possibly some other decor.

So...You have a lathe? You're even a step ahead of me for hilt sophistication!

All you need now are:

Mechanical:

the right drill bits, threading bits (with appropriate stuf to do it BY HAND I learned kind of the hard way), a drill press (for pressing and GENTLE milling/boaring action), a hand drill (gentle milling boaring), a small torch-jet lighter, and a vise clamp. Oh

For electronics you need

a 30 Watt soldering iron, good grade electronic solder, flux paste, cleaner/tin agents for the tip of your soldering iron, small sponge, coated wires, heat shrink wrapping, and a push button switch.

EDIT: You also need a sink tube from the hardware store and the appropriate gaskets and a matching cap cover!!!

CAVEAT: also once you have obtained the blade adapter for sink tubes, you will also need to see which blades on the market will fit the adapter and which sink tubes the adapter fits into as well. You could just buy a sink tube and blade from TCSS, but I had my preferences.

So, you can also go to the hardware store for a sink pipe of YOUR choice (I went to Home Depot) and actually test fit the adapter in it *before* buying anything--it should fit snugly and exactly, not loosely. Obviously don't buy if the pipe is a smidgen too small either. :)

EDIT EDIT: Forgot to throw in, a little dremel (or similar like what thing you see on the floor in that one pic) is surely nice to have to de-bur the holes you drill. You could just use sandpaper or emery board around the rims but that takes longer.

Actually it was all fairly straightforward--and quite fun! I used pre-fitted components from "TheCustomSaberShop" (1.25" Sink tube adapter kit, White Luxeon K2 LED, appropriate resistor for 9V battery--as per their charts, 5 degree lens, appropriate lens holder), bought some electronics from RadioShack (switch, wires, battery clip).

From UltraSabers I bought 1 ultra-grade dueling blade (thickest and heaviest), and one Anakin MRFX gold button cap which by chance fit onto the pushbutton switch.

By now they both have some more selections, as well as 2 new competitors: do-clo custom sabers, and advanced-light weaponry.

Sites for recap:

http://www.ultrasabers.com/Default.asp?Redirected=Y Ultrasabers, the poineer of this field first starting out on ebay, decided to make it a full time business. That was 2005.

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/ Not far behind this group picked up on the custom home hobbyist's demand for flexibility and creativity.

http://www.eio.com/c-137-leds.aspx (this site usually has some of the same high power LEDs for competitive prices and often better deals)

http://doclocustomsabers.com/ Custom, unique, good looking sabers on the cheap

http://www.advanced-light.com/ Prefessionally designed AND balanced lightsabers, especially of the curve hilted variety, you quality of the very highest and finest order bar none but DO expect to take a *hit* in your wallet!

I wonder, who all would be in favor of a lightsaber crafter's guild added to LF?!

0415278392.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Jung > Freud. Full stop.

Edit: In The Undiscovered Self, a pamphlet of a book, Jung explores the ways in which the human mind is influenced by and interacts with our modern age of mass marketing and mass production. He stares into the human soul like a poet is all I can say.

• 2 weeks later...

9990001000_3639.jpg

Headroom Portable Micro Amplifier with the Digital to Audio Converter option. Basically it's a tiny portable amplifier/preamp for headphones that can plug into your computer to act as an auxiliary sound device. It's not for gaming, but for amazing music reproduction.

By that I mean holy hell this thing sounds gooooooood! Next step is higher-end headphones.

Extremely expensive month...bah...worth it though :)

samsung-syncmaster-p2250.jpg

22 Inch HD...yummie...

1244144844.jpeg

And got another remote with it.

And the creme de la creme:

wii_zelda_twilight.jpg

Oh wait..bought this type of car a month ago as well:

peugeot-205-f3q-a.jpg

@ GTA:

That saber is still looking fine! :D Any plans for details?

When I saw my beloved Final Fantasy 9 running so beautifully on a friends PSP, I trotted out and bought a nice and cheap pre-owned PSP slim. It works great :thmbup1: FF7 and FF8 have been officially released for the PSP, so an official release for FF9 likely wont be too far off. I really like the new comics reader functionality on the PSP - if only they got the Dark Horse/Star Wars comics rights.. it would be fantastique

FF9PSP.jpg

Also, I got Demon Stone for PC.. oldie but a goodie. Patrick Stewart does narration and story written by RA Salvatore.. you even get to play as Drizzt Do'Urden in one level....which if you are a Drizzt fan(like me), will cause a nerdgasm of epic proportions :D

box-l.jpg

DrizztCap640.jpg

screencap taken by me...as you can plainly see.....Drizzt is teh sex

Drizzt's movements in the game are superbly done IMO... just the way I imagined them from reading the books.... great epic music in the game too... love it when Drizzt says... "Away from here...Troll scum!"

Here's a cap someone did of the PS2 version. Gameplay is the same as PC version, though PC version grafx a bit cripser in actuality, of course. As the clip shows, its a hack n slasher, you can instantly switch to the wizard or rogue drow female as well - but no one does that in the Drizzt level ;)

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

mtfbwya

Got quite a few things over the last month I've been gone.

Movies:

Blacula

Scream, Blacula, Scream

Coffy

Friday Foster

Foxy Brown

Black Mama, White Mama

Truck Turner

Original Gangstas

I'm Gonna Get You Sucka

Shaft Trilogy

Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song

Baadasssss!

Redbelt

Ghost Dog

Miracles

Chok Dee

The Protector (Tom Yum Goong)

36th Chamber of Shaolin

The One-Armed Swordsman

My Young Auntie

City of Violence

Dog Bite Dog

Come Drink With Me

Tai Chi Master

Fist of Legend

5 Deadly Venoms

Return of the 5 Deadly Venoms (AKA Crippled Avengers)

Black Mask

Born to Defense

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Dragon in Fury

Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang/Lama/Ninja/Tai Chi

Gojoe

A Piece of the Action

Six Strong Guys

Bet to Basic

Johnny Was

Better Luck Tomorrow

The Good Humor Man

The Rundown

Breakfast on Pluto

Hairspray (the original)

Outland

The Legend of Drunken Master (bluray)

District 9 (bluray)

Up! (bluray)

Ip Man

Uncle Buck

Great Outdoors

Going Berserk

The Musashi Trilogy

Shadow Warriors

A martial arts exploitation pack:

# 1. Blood of the Dragon

# 2. Bloodfight

# 3. Bruce Lee Fights Back From The Grave

# 4. Champ Against Champ

# 5. Clones of Bruce Lee

# 6. Crippled Masters

# 7. Deadly Kick

# 8. Dragon Lee vs. The Five Brothers

# 9. Fighting Ace

# 10. Fighting Fists of Shanghai Joe, The

# 11. Fists of Bruce Lee

# 12. Image of Bruce Lee

# 13. Kung Fu

# 14. Kung Fu Fever

# 15. L.A. Street Fighter

# 16. Master, The

# 17. Rage of the Master

# 18. Real Bruce Lee, The

# 19. Screaming Ninja

# 20. Snake Crane Secret

-

A blaxploitation pack:

The Baron

Death of Bruce Lee (AKA Black Dragon's Revenge)

TNT Jackson

Black Panther of Shaolin

Way of the Black Dragon

Shaolin Dolemite

Kung Fu Fever

The Black Six

Black Dragon

Lord Shango

-

The Black Samurai with Jim Kelly

Tattoo Connection (AKA Black Belt Jones 2)

Black Cobra I, II, III

Books:

Anger: Wisdom for Cooling the Flames by Thich Nhat Hahn

No Death, No Fear by Thich Nhat Hahn

Hagakure by Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Buddha by Deepak Chopra

The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan

Good Poems: A collection by Garrison Keillor

Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali

CDs:

The Ecstatic by Mos Def

Wild Young Hearts by The Noisettes

Got quite a few things over the last month I've been gone.

Movies:

Blacula

Scream, Blacula, Scream

Coffy

Friday Foster

Foxy Brown

Black Mama, White Mama

Truck Turner

Original Gangstas

I'm Gonna Get You Sucka

Shaft Trilogy

Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song

Baadasssss!

Redbelt

Ghost Dog

Miracles

Chok Dee

The Protector (Tom Yum Goong)

36th Chamber of Shaolin

The One-Armed Swordsman

My Young Auntie

City of Violence

Dog Bite Dog

Come Drink With Me

Tai Chi Master

Fist of Legend

5 Deadly Venoms

Return of the 5 Deadly Venoms (AKA Crippled Avengers)

Black Mask

Born to Defense

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Dragon in Fury

Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang/Lama/Ninja/Tai Chi

Gojoe

A Piece of the Action

Six Strong Guys

Bet to Basic

Johnny Was

Better Luck Tomorrow

The Good Humor Man

The Rundown

Breakfast on Pluto

Hairspray (the original)

Outland

The Legend of Drunken Master (bluray)

District 9 (bluray)

Up! (bluray)

Ip Man

Uncle Buck

Great Outdoors

Going Berserk

The Musashi Trilogy

Shadow Warriors

A martial arts exploitation pack:

# 1. Blood of the Dragon

# 2. Bloodfight

# 3. Bruce Lee Fights Back From The Grave

# 4. Champ Against Champ

# 5. Clones of Bruce Lee

# 6. Crippled Masters

# 7. Deadly Kick

# 8. Dragon Lee vs. The Five Brothers

# 9. Fighting Ace

# 10. Fighting Fists of Shanghai Joe, The

# 11. Fists of Bruce Lee

# 12. Image of Bruce Lee

# 13. Kung Fu

# 14. Kung Fu Fever

# 15. L.A. Street Fighter

# 16. Master, The

# 17. Rage of the Master

# 18. Real Bruce Lee, The

# 19. Screaming Ninja

# 20. Snake Crane Secret

-

A blaxploitation pack:

The Baron

Death of Bruce Lee (AKA Black Dragon's Revenge)

TNT Jackson

Black Panther of Shaolin

Way of the Black Dragon

Shaolin Dolemite

Kung Fu Fever

The Black Six

Black Dragon

Lord Shango

-

The Black Samurai with Jim Kelly

Tattoo Connection (AKA Black Belt Jones 2)

Black Cobra I, II, III

Books:

Anger: Wisdom for Cooling the Flames by Thich Nhat Hahn

No Death, No Fear by Thich Nhat Hahn

Hagakure by Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Buddha by Deepak Chopra

The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan

Good Poems: A collection by Garrison Keillor

Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali

CDs:

The Ecstatic by Mos Def

Wild Young Hearts by The Noisettes

Fist of Legend owns. Jet Li beats a dude down with his belt.

Fist of Legend owns. Jet Li beats a dude down with his belt.

lolzwow. Jet Li playing a drunken trailer park dad. Who would've guessed :thmbup1:

I got an EB vouchie for Jesus bday, so I got this - was cheap as its a platinum title now. 'Tis nice - especially if you are partial to Final Fantasy style RPGin as I am ;) Definitely the best visuals Ive seen on the PSP, and nice gameplay too. Even more fun than God of War on PSP, which is fantastic as well(but relatively quite short)

FF7CCfinalcovercopy.jpg

mtfbwya

• 2 weeks later...

Jung > Freud. Full stop.

Edit: In The Undiscovered Self, a pamphlet of a book, Jung explores the ways in which the human mind is influenced by and interacts with our modern age of mass marketing and mass production. He stares into the human soul like a poet is all I can say.

Have you ever read Games People Play by Eric Berne?

http://www.amazon.com/Games-People-Play-Transactional-Analysis/dp/0345410033/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263516319&sr=8-1

So I've really wanted a wooden dummy for a long time and I've just never been able to justify the cost of ordering one, though that will likely change once I start getting that sweet government money. :p

Well since I'm still delayed in my ship-out and I have absolutely nothing to do with my time aside from dating and sitting in my den watching movies all day, I decided to build one so thanks to TK for showing me some plans some time back I decided to look into building my own. Oddly enough the process of finding the log was the most difficult and involved me having to remember some of my spanish skills, which are rather poor these days. But it's been an exciting time and I look forward to completing it shortly. All I have left to do now is file down the slots and sand the body, find a woodturner to help me make the arms since I do not have a lathe, construct myself a leg for this badass dummy, then design a base to make it freestanding. I think it's rather cool, even though I didn't really buy it, though for the rough materials it's been about $70, which is a hell of a lot cheaper than $700.

processofbuildingamook-2.jpg

Archived