Home

The Official AHTO "Cool Stuff" Thread :) (56k warning)

Astrotoy7

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

devilswhoredvdcoverdo8.jpg

It was going cheap in WHSmith's, so I figured why not. It's maybe a little too fictionalised, and doesn't really cover the Civil War in all that much detail (but then again, it's not supposed to), but I found it entertaining when it was on More4 a few months ago.

Update on my wooden dummy.

MyMook.jpg

I need to finish sanding the edges on the top arms so they're round and make the leg and base. I'll resand the body once more then it'll be finished.

Considering I don't have a lathe, the arms aren't a bad bit of work. Not the greatest of width (a bit too thin), but they work just fine.

@Sithy, my cats would LOVE that !! MRAOW !! ;)

mass-effect-2-collectors-edition-fu.jpg

funnily enough, ME2 was released here exactly 2 days after I had to take my 30" monitor back to samsung for some repairs. yay \o/

*insert laugh track*

Isabel Shepard is going to have to wait a couple of weeks more before putting her tight outfit back on for me :D

Isn't she just the cutest ;) [/unhealthy love for pixellated character]

Isabel.jpg

mtfbwya

19664_545012225994_202307533_32036994_7284110_n.jpg

img_3284.jpg

So it's pretty much finished. Set it up with some temporary arms and a leg. I'm working on a base made from a really giant tree stump, though that's taking quite some time. I'll likely fix it up with a temporary base tomorrow so I can start using it and work on my footwork using the leg.

Also pictured is a half-body dummy I found on craigslist, I got the price down to $50 which is a super-sweet deal. It's been interesting getting to use a dummy, much different than using a partner or training with a shadow, and very different from a bag. It's been a lot of fun though.

Also got this in the mail yesterday.

cover_wingtsun_dummy.jpg

I think eventually I'll order real dummy arms and a leg, but that'll have to wait until after camp when I can send this to wherever I'm stationed during school.

Okay, so I'm sure I've already caused a lot of groaning with this but it's finally done and I'll shut up about it now.

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
img_3301.jpg

I changed my mind about the base I was going to use and instead crafted together this thing you see here. I placed the tiles myself and everything seen here was hand crafted. My two week long project has finally come to a conclusion and I can relax and get back to my regularly schedule routine. It'll be nice not spending 8 hours in my garage wearing terribly uncomfortable face masks and safety goggles.

Jae-the-eye-doctor says good for you for wearing safety eyewear!!!

Okay, so I'm sure I've already caused a lot of groaning with this but it's finally done and I'll shut up about it now.

Whilst I personally enjoy woodworking with more aesthetic than functional value, kudos on the hard work and dedication in seeing the project through.

I'm sure there are peeps at martial arts forums that would be much more excited about your project than we've been ;)

call me a geek, but that dummy reminded me of this cool sequence in the 1984 version of Dune :thmbup1:

(embedding disabled for this vid)

mtfbwya

Sithy what's the wallpaper on your PS3? XD

1242037406882.jpg?t=1265006568

Whilst I personally enjoy woodworking with more aesthetic than functional value, kudos on the hard work and dedication in seeing the project through.

It was pretty tough, but it's nice completing a project you feel you'll likely fail.

I'm sure there are peeps at martial arts forums that would be much more excited about your project than we've been ;)

Probably, but after 3 posts it'd likely devolve into a discussion about how I'm a faggot for doing Wing Chun (despite using the dummy for other martial applications) and that if I were to use that "faggot ****" on them, they'd UFC my face into the ground and make me eat their fist, throw it up, then eat it again.

Oddly enough most people online learning martial arts seem to forget the key goal of self-discipline and leaving their ego at the door. But since most of them seem to be doing trendy McDojo's teaching "MMA-style", it's no wonder they're all heavy metal/techno music, red bull/monster drinking, neo-roid-heads with numerous complexes.

call me a geek, but that dummy reminded me of this cool sequence in the 1984 version of Dune :thmbup1:

(embedding disabled for this vid)

mtfbwya

Oh Dune. :thmbup1:

Probably, but after 3 posts it'd likely devolve into a discussion about how I'm a faggot for doing Wing Chun (despite using the dummy for other martial applications) and that if I were to use that "faggot ****" on them, they'd UFC my face into the ground and make me eat their fist, throw it up, then eat it again.

LMAO. I dont think UFC fans should be accusing anyone of faggotry. Watching intertwined sweaty men writhe and grunt all over the floor in a cage... I mean c'mon! :thmbup1:

mtfbwya

It would be better if they did it standing up, using their fists and feet rather than dry humping each other on the floor for 90% of the match.

That's when I usually change the channel. Wrestling should be restricted to 10 second intervals to avoid intense levels of boredom. It annoys me even more that those exact events are how people justify saying that techniques I use are not useful in real events. Last time I checked, a mugger doesn't do a shoot or any wrestling technique, I'm pretty sure punching someone in the face is however a perfectly reasonable strategy for defending myself as it's worked in the past quite successfully.

A technique involving sound, **** you David Lynch.

As LFNs official Lynchphile, I contest your girly outburst point with some facts.

"The characters are exactly as I have envisioned them... sometimes even better... I'm please with the screenplay. I'm well aware of the fact that film has to use a shorthand process to convey things that are in the novel. It's a translation process' date=' actually, from one language to another." [/quote']

Sources:

*The Making of Dune. Ed Naha.

*2006 Extrovert Magazine Article. Alvin Conway

*Lynch on Lynch. Ed. Chris Rodley

No one was more unhappy with what happened to Dune than Lynch. Blame that ******* producer DeLaurentiis for that for riding Lynch to keep it at 2hours and skimping on effects

mtfbwya

No one was more unhappy with what happened to Dune than Lynch. Blame that ******* producer DeLaurentiis for that for riding Lynch to keep it at 2hours and skimping on effects

mtfbwya

Herbert's mind was pretty addled by the time the movie had come out. Yes, you can enjoy someones work, while thinking that they're a douche. Just look at George Rape. Rape. Martin; Writes a nice book, but he's a fat, lazy, pizza guzzling, douche, who is apparently more interested in blogging about football than finishing what he started. Heinlein comes to mind too, guy went nuts later in life, no Rob, incest isn't cool. Sci-fi's Dune miniseries has a few issues too, but it's pretty good, probably the only thing Sci-fi has ever done that isn't ****. Oh no! Paul's coming to get us with his ghetto blaster!

Archived