Home

The Official AHTO "Cool Stuff" Thread :) (56k warning)

Astrotoy7

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
020058b.jpg

Our lucky Canadian friends are now the first in the world that are able to get TV via IP though the 360 (via Telus).

More info here

Can't wait til we also get it in Oz later this year.

In other cool news, I just booked a ticket to this place, arriving late Sept. ZOMG=EXCITED I'm going to be running and climbing all over the place, like Ezio in AC2 :)

firenze.jpg

mtfbwya

Wait...maybe Astro is the one who will leave the seals behind...Astro = subject 16? Woah. I went ahead and scrambled all the letters in his last post.

It revealed some shocking and rather disturbing things regarding rubber chickens and Madame Curie .... :indif:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just found out that as of next Tuesday, my edit suite has been booked all week to create a 10 minute goodwill presentation on Corporate Social Responsibility on behalf of us (of course), DeBeers, & CIBJO (World Jewellery Confederation) pretty much the entire International Jewelry Industry. :indif:

Video will be played for members and attendees at the World Diamond Council.. oh, and...

... the United Nations ...

Gee.. no pressure there :ohdear:

It's kinda freakin' my world at the moment, but I guess that's a good thing :xp:

Getting ready to buy a fixed gear bike. Now I'll actually have a form of transportation.

digger-side-gold-1500x1500-high_2_13.jpg

1. No brakes? :confused: is this thing even legal (where you live, of course)? Insurance companies sure wouldn't like it here... Putting a few extra bucks for your safety and the safety of others seems like a no-brainer to me (it seems to be an option provided by the manufacturer though)

2. If you're looking for a bike that will be used mainly as a means of transportation (vs strict road performance), why not look for something more comfortable, safe and versatile? I am sure there are other options, especially for bikes weighting 20 something pounds as the one mentioned above. I just bought this one (male version is here) (ref. to initial price is not really relevant as bicycles are almost all discounted in the North these days, just like the one you linked at) which allows me to go to the corner store as well as going on a longer weekend ride without breaking my back and it's easy to look around for traffic too ( and it has breaks too).

Put some brakes on it unless you want to

A. Blow out your knees

B. Crash

C. Piss everyone off

1. No brakes? :confused: is this thing even legal (where you live, of course)? Insurance companies sure wouldn't like it here... Putting a few extra bucks for your safety and the safety of others seems like a no-brainer to me (it seems to be an option provided by the manufacturer though)

2. If you're looking for a bike that will be used mainly as a means of transportation (vs strict road performance), why not look for something more comfortable, safe and versatile? I am sure there are other options, especially for bikes weighting 20 something pounds as the one mentioned above. I just bought this one (male version is here) (ref. to initial price is not really relevant as bicycles are almost all discounted in the North these days, just like the one you linked at) which allows me to go to the corner store as well as going on a longer weekend ride without breaking my back and it's easy to look around for traffic too ( and it has breaks too).

There is a special form of braking called skidding that fix gear riders use. Because the bike can pedal both backwards and forwards it can be forced to a stop if you know how to do it. Some people are good enough at it that it's more useful than traditional brakes. Basically you stand up (some lean forward) and keep the pedal still. The bike sort of slowly glides to a stop. It's actually pretty cool how they do it. I myself do plan on getting a front break. I'll be riding this thing to school and on the way there is an overpass that's rather tall. Right at the bottom is a stop-light. Unless I slow myself down a ton I'll pretty much be screwed and unable to stop if the light is red until I learn how to skid really well. On the plus side fix gears are very fast and are design to give you the best overall body workout due to not being able to coast when you get tired.

There is a special form of braking called skidding that fix gear riders use. Because the bike can pedal both backwards and forwards it can be forced to a stop if you know how to do it. Some people are good enough at it that it's more useful than traditional brakes. Basically you stand up (some lean forward) and keep the pedal still. The bike sort of slowly glides to a stop. It's actually pretty cool how they do it. I myself do plan on getting a front break. I'll be riding this thing to school and on the way there is an overpass that's rather tall. Right at the bottom is a stop-light. Unless I slow myself down a ton I'll pretty much be screwed and unable to stop if the light is red until I learn how to skid really well. On the plus side fix gears are very fast and are design to give you the best overall body workout due to not being able to coast when you get tired.

Skidding is what I was referring to when I mentioned blowing your knees out.

There is a special form of braking called skidding
I know about this but still this kind of bike is not allowed on public roads in some parts of the world and some insurance companies, whether you know how to brake (without blowing you knees off or not) or not might deny coverage, depending on which company and where you live.

Btw, one cyclist ran into my car, took one of my mirrors away the other day and broke his arm...It was 5 am and I was going to the airport, I stopped at the red light and waited there with my flasher onf or about 2 minutes until I had a green right arrow indicating I could turn right and then, he just came out from behind my car, crossing me on the right hand side... and smashed into my mirror as he couldn't stop even if the light to move forward was red since minutes ago for him ... (in addition it was dark and he had no lights/stripes or anything to indicate his presence).

Btw, one cyclist ran into my car, took one of my mirrors away the other day and broke his arm...It was 5 am and I was going to the airport, I stopped at the red light and waited there with my flasher onf or about 2 minutes until I had a green right arrow indicating I could turn right and then, he just came out from behind my car, crossing me on the right hand side... and smashed into my mirror as he couldn't stop even if the light to move forward was red since minutes ago for him ... (in addition it was dark and he had no lights/stripes or anything to indicate his presence).

I know, I have a friend who managed to run into a stopped car. Fortunately it turned out to be his older brother's best friend. Some people who ride fixed gears don't seem to be very smart about it. Others are extra careful by slowing down at intersections, trying to avoid hills and narrow roads and other things of that nature. I do plan on using brakes on my bike until I get really good at skidding however. It's not like I can afford going through new $80 gator skin tires every month anyway.

• 4 weeks later...
1267814024-25811_full.jpg

Not what I had wanted (I had gone to try and get Legacy: Storms), but this is hardly a disappointment, especially seeing as it's got a Mara Jade story in it.

Got a a nice 'Empire Strikes Back' T-shirt too. :D

Omnibus books of the comics are always a good filler. I would verily much agree "hardly a disappointment".

I got a black T shirt with chewbacca's mug shot on it clorized like Bob Marley.

Archived