Home

The Official AHTO "Cool Stuff" Thread :) (56k warning)

Astrotoy7

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

double post lol

New toy:

n03022008e3.jpg

Lenovo IdeaPad Y510. My father works for IBM so I got a nice deal on it. Pretty good specs too, better than my desktop at least.

Intel Core 2 Duo T5550 1.83GHz

2 GB RAM

nVidia GeForce 8600M GT

Came with Vista Home Premium installed. I haven't used Vista before extensively so hopefully it will work out with everything I want it to do. I don't think the IdeaPad is known very well the way the ThinkPad is but it seems like a good machine so far and most reviews I read were very good.

New toy: Lenovo IdeaPad Y510. My father works for IBM so I got it for free...

fixed.

As for me, my tax return just got in, and I got crazy paid....mmm what to get!

Likely candidates:

*UMPC or Tablet PC

*PDA Phone: Either a HTC Diamond, Samsung i900 Omnia, or maybe a touch dual

*New GPU, a 4870 or 4870X2 if it fits in my case :p

*Another Lawrence Alma Tadema reproduction(points at avvie)

mtfbwya

I watched it the other night and it was pretty sweet, a couple of the shorts weren't as good as the others and some of the costumes weren't as good but I enjoyed it. Makes me even more pumped for The Dark Knight.

Astro stfu no one likes you.

I haven't gotten to test it out with any games yet (installing WoW as I type) but it seems built well. I know the ThinkPad keyboards are supposed to be famed and my dad says that mine seems just as good as his ThinkPad. It also has very cool features like a touchpad for media stuff like watching movies above the keyboard and a built in dolby sound system. Another thing that I thought I wouldn't like at first but turns out is pretty nice is the glossy screen. The screen is also "frameless" so thats pretty cool.

14770.jpg

Saw this in a museum gift shop actually :lol:, had to get it since I am a huge fan of the TotJ series and it was all in one book. If you are a fan of Star Wars comics, I highly recommend you read these. IMO, they are the BEST Star Wars comics out there.

Got this a while back, most awesome collection indeed! Still need to get Volume 2 though...

HTC Diamond

I wanna get this at some point, so I suggest you be my Guinae Pig and test it out for me to find out all it's quirks n stuff ;)

Astro stfu no one likes you.

awww...cannot get your ship out.

wanker.

@sithy. Ideapads have many of the engineering pluses of the thinkpads. Theyre not exactly sleek and stylish like many modern lappies, but theyre built solid ;) I know several field engineers who swear by em, and their panasonic toughbooks of course :p

@negsun....re- the diamond....there was meant to be a lag type issue on the diamond, which is apparently fixed....but the thing that is making me balk is its size... I'm over big brick phones in my pocket. I like the size and shape of original HTC touch(like we gots!), but would prefer 3G, thus the touch dual being a consideration. ...plenty of vids reviews of YT for you to peruse to check out the diamond ;)

mtfbwya

@sithy> you waited in line.....wow didnt know you were that much of an Apple-phile :p I have to admit Ive waited that long for anything....Irs not that Im inpatient, I just hate being idle !

@Niner> thank you for reminder.... *pulls out flashpass*

Some breakthroughs and decisions made on my front:

*Mrs Astro has *finally* allowed me to convert our front room into a full time dedicated home theater projection room. I need to now:

> build a new htpc(shuttle barebone based of course)

>fit some speakers into the ceiling

>ceiling mount the projector

>put component and vga input wallplates. and feed to ceiling mounted projector. Vga will be used for the htpc, component for the ps3(when I get one) ;)

>get some home theatre recliner chairs, with cup holders n stuff

I recently came across the oldie but a goodie... HP TC1000. A notebook, a tablet and a ''umpc'' all in one. The keyboard totally detaches, and you have a slate pc. Funny thing is these were made when umpcs didnt even exist(as they do know)

withoutk.jpg

better yet, theyre about $300-500 on ebay. I'll be running a pared(via v-lite) down version of vista. GPU is a mere Intel 915, but is only going to be used for work/browsing/reading. I'll need the spare cash for the above project...

better get started....

mtfbwya

lolz.... jmac, nice to see your moms again......say hello from me ;)

OT:

I wish I could rip the GPS out of my prius and put this in :D

The Knight Rider GPS!

6-20-08-knightridergps.jpg

uses the voice of the actor who did KITTs voice(William Daniels), and has a selection of 250+ more names it calls you, not just "Michael"

click HERE for vid..

mtfbwya

DAD?!

Im sorry to break it to you here and now jmac, but knowledge is power I guess....

"you're father wanted to have know this when you were old enough, but your uncle mother wouldnt allow it...."

GVader.jpg

but lets start to veer back on topic eh :D

I think Im starting to want one of these ;)

AMD Radeon 4870X2... can be used as a tennis racquet when not in pc

card-3q.jpg

for those interested, head to the tech forum for full details about this monster of a card ;)

mtfbwya

Archived