Home

The Official AHTO "Cool Stuff" Thread :) (56k warning)

Astrotoy7

That looks pretty awesome EW. Though I must admit...now I cant get that Madonna song out of my head ;)

OT:

I havent seen Stargate SG-1 yet...and it has come recommended by many. I recently completed a home theatre setup for an aquaintance that happens to own a video store. Part of the deal to do the setup was to get this:

Stargate SG-1 : The Complete Collection

(Now to find the time to watch it all)

Stargate_SG-1_Portal_Collection.jpg

Also picked up these in the bargain bin at eb games. I had a voucher left over from last year, so they didnt cost me anything on the day \o/

Trek Legacy... Ive started the Johnny Archer/NX-01 missions... but will leave it after that until I finish Assassins Creed and the game below

st-legacy.jpg

Any budding Ripperologist or Holmesian worth their salt will want to have a play of this... (to distract us from the horror of the upcoming Robert Downey Jr movie)

Sherlock-Holmes-Vs-Jack-The-Ripper.jpg

>>Finally, tax time is just around the corner, so if the tax lady is nice to me I expect to be back with some more goodies... I have my eye on the zune HD..... It is powered by the quite amazing nvidia Tegra mobile graphics chipset and an OLED screen

zune-hd.jpg

....and possibly the HTC Hero(The Android based smartphone) still undecided on this one though... I need to see what is happening with Windows Mobile 7 first and hold one of these in my nimble little hands before I make any decison ;)

htc-hero-press-6.jpg

mtfbwya

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got this for my birthday:

41H40X8PPYL._SS500_.jpg

A collection of fifty essays by the truly great (and I use that word with all the power it can have) critic Christopher Ricks. Someone knows me very well >_>

Only trouble is, when you read people like Empson, Ricks, or Eliot... you end up realising you'll never be that good :xp:

I am soooooooooo jealous of you right now! :carms:

:p

Pop over anytime if you want to watch an ep or 3 ;)

Ive actually started converting them all into mkvs. I want to have them all one hard drive so I can watch it on my projector ;)

Also, Ive recently been brought to SW Geek tears by Adywan's "Star Wars A New Hope Revisited" Adywan is a very competent digital editor who has been working on ANH for 2 years, fixing effects, colours etc. ANH is actually 7 minutes longer now, and looks and sounds even better... I cant link to it directly as it's in 'fan edit' territory, but if you love SW, and love ANH - its a FREAKIN MUST SEE! :thmbup1:

@Rhett... I stared at that photo for a while until I figured out why I was perplexed.... why are your walls painted dark grey.... you going for generic starship interior look ?

This is how you decorate a study/computer room - the good ole tech minimalistic neo-classical style. It is my crowning achievement of cable management without drilling - only one is visible ;)

room2.jpg

mtfbwya

I am very interested by this news, Astro. It's longer? What's been added?

In keeping with this thread, I "bought" a broken 360 for parts, repaired it, and will be using it for a media extender as I don't have access to the drive key to replace the missing disc drive.

I'm with Rhett on that dude! :carms:

OT:

400px-Black_hawk_down_ver1.jpg

Only £3 ($5) for the double disc edition :)

Still the best war movie ever IMO, not entirely historically accurate, but than it does say "based on true events" not "an exact account of true events".

Love this movie, Ewan McGregor is amazing in it...

It is my crowning achievement of cable management without drilling - only one is visible ;)
It looks like I'll need your advice for my future 800 sq ft geek (but sexy) computer-piano-tv mezzanine...I'm trying to make the plans but the damn wires are always in the way and ruin it all...I so hate wires! :mad:

...and since I hate wires, I just bought this gadget last week (I had an old crappy and very basic borrowed cell phone before...didn't really need one until recently but the new job requires me to travel everywhere...and by everywhere I really mean it...it includes the very middle of nowhere...15 hours of flying in a 1960's airplane on Monday tomorrow to get there, not counting the other 15 hours to get back lol....at least I can still play games on the cell once I get to the middle of nowhere...ok, I admit, I am not really complaining: I love traveling to the "middle of nowhere" (which can feel like the middle of everywhere too) but having something to pass the time once you're there somewhat helps, especially if there's thick fog - otherwise landscape is usually breathtaking ...at least until a polar bear spots you...- :) )

I'm probably going to make all you people a tad envious.

From the Trends thread here in Ahto

Behold my current prize:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=3563
Show spoiler
picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=3562
Show spoiler
picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=3561
Show spoiler
picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=3560
Show spoiler
picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=3559

It is an authorized reprint picture of an ROTJ still photo, with the autographs of several cast members as ewoks.

Something collectible and genuine, every SW fans' dream. :D

It looks like I'll need your advice for my future 800 sq ft geek (but sexy) computer-piano-tv mezzanine...I'm trying to make the plans but the damn wires are always in the way and ruin it all...I so hate wires! :mad:

Does future mean its not built yet ? If you have the $$, its always ideal to have them running through the walls. with some strategically placed wallplates which will get covered by furniture(as in my pic)

If that isnt an option, its usually a game of placing powerborads at each end of a group of devices and running justa single extension cord between them. In my case, I also have needed to run an audio and networking cables, I just made sure they were the same color, tied them together with small wire ties(though you can get some cable management sleeves if you have the $$) and ran them neatly along the bottom skirting

...and since I hate wires, I just bought this gadget last week (I had an old crappy and very basic borrowed cell phone before...

Interesting. I always thought youd be a Blackberry gal :)

I'm probably going to make all you people a tad envious.

That's actually pretty unique. Im still waiting on James Earl Jones to sign my Vader Voice Changer Helmet :D

Actually, that reminded me - I do have one 'authentic signed' thing I prize... The Comic Adaptation of Homeland...signed by some guy called RA Salvatore. I got it from e-signed from here, so Im assuming its legit, and not some fat guy in a D&D Tshirt :p

drizzt.jpg

mtfbwya

Does future mean its not built yet ? If you have the $$, its always ideal to have them running through the walls. with some strategically placed wallplates which will get covered by furniture(as in my pic)

Future means 3/4 built...outside 100% built, options left open for the interior. I still have the option of choosing where to place wallplates...but err...I don't necessarily intend to place all the furniture in the corners , especially my main workstation (I can still have a main server placed elsewhere though) which I'd ideally like to actually face the middle of the mezzanine, so advice concerning wireless options is always welcome :)

...so advice concerning wireless options is always welcome :)

Whilst there are an increasing number of wireless av options around, even wireless HDMI - it is far from cheap. It also doesnt address he issue of powering devices that arent placed anywhere neat a psu.

Ive seen solutions made for those who are really finicky about cables built it into tables, entertainment units or even within faux speaker units :p

It all depemds on your actual layout, and budget ;)

through the wall is always recommended - as its cheaper and gives you uncompromised fidelity. One of the mods at the htpc site I work/lurk at has this as his avvie, I think it perfectly sums up this whole wifi biz:

For actual mobile devices(lappies, phones etc), of course wifi networking is handy, but deploying it inside at the expense of a wired solution is not sensible technically, but especially financially

In the future, when wifi-av tech is perfected and cheaper, maybe it sonly the purview of the unncessarily rich atm

mtfbwya

apple-ipod-touch.jpg

Also picked up the earphones with mic and remote on them.

If anyone is in the market for an iPod Touch (1st gen) shoot me a message, this one is replacing my old one so I want to unload that. It still works perfectly, I just needed more storage and wanted to be able to make skype calls.

Im going to put a double vote in for the SW ANH Revisited I mentioned above. As someone who has lost count of the amount of times Ive seen the films over the last 30 years..( I say that as it would be embarrasing to state the actual figure), the ANH revisit has been a wonderful breath of life....

Here's some comparison images as a teaser.... I LOVE IT!! PM me if you are having trouble tracking it down

REVISITED.jpg

mtfbwya

Archived