Home

The Official AHTO "Cool Stuff" Thread :) (56k warning)

Astrotoy7

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh man...is that the crazy easy girl with the guitar who competes with that other girl for that guy with that thing about his forehead. :D

Indeed. Still one of my favorite animes to date. :D

I've always liked j-rock, and other types of Japanese music (mostly anime soundtracks) but The Pillows are in a league of their own.. :urpdude:

A few things recently, at great prices too .. \o/

just started playing it. Love the music. Old School RPG.. but still getting used to the camera :p Blood switched off because it just looks damn silly.

Dragon-Age-PC.jpg

I want to get back into drawing/painting without making a mess and having canvasses pile up around my house. Thought I'd start off with some basic hardware I was familiar with before splurging on anything else.

wacombamboopen.jpg

I already have Adobe CS4 x64, but wanted to clock some time on this. Pretty nifty I must admit. Not exactly a photoshop alternative, but a nice addition to one's creative arsenal.

corelpainter11.jpg

Edit:

These are damn tricky to get down here in Oz... but I finally got one ;) The black version(aka Master's Armour) of this figurine is just luverly...[iMO]

ac2.jpg

mtfbwya

• 3 weeks later...

Was looking on craigslist today and stumble across a pretty good buy. for $25 a lady sold me a NES and 10 games:

Super Mario Bros 3

Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt 2in1

Battletoads

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Star Voyager

Sesame Street (*sigh*... it's for collector's purposes only)

Track and Field

World Wrestling

Snake Rattle and Role

Gotcha

Pretty good buy in my opinion.

My first (real) documentary has finally been pressed, and will be submitted to the 2010-2011 Emmy's :D Missed this year's deadline by a week due to the Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull volcano stranding our Producer (who has to do the submission) in Tanzania Africa for 3 weeks :fist:

A long way's off, and honestly not expecting it to win anything, but the thought of work (JTV) believing it's good enough for a shot (and entry fee.. hehe) is good enough for me ;) Plus I'll have one or 2 more docs by next year's time that may be considered as well...

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
RewaOkan_DVD.JPG

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

congrats chainz! That is very cool :) If you're ever involved in a documentary about female beach volleyballers from Brazil, don't be shy to recruit ole Astro for tech support :D

as for my new stuff:

HTC-Desire-Orange-UK.jpg

The HTC Desire is luverly new phone running the Android OS. US folks cant get this model specifially yet, but can currently get the hardware equivalent Nexus One from Google directly, or HTC incredible from Verizon, which has received some great reviews from engadget etc.

Imagine an iphone, but without the nazi like control of Apple and itunes subjugation. Luscious AMOLED screen, 1Ghz processor and embedded flash. Has inbuilt GPS turn by turn for free via google maps navigation - no need to fork out an extra $99 for a tomtom app etc.

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

The Google Android operating system is based on a Linux kernel and is free and open source - allowing developers and manufacturers more freedom when adapting it to all manner of devices(phones, readers, multimedia players, TV boxes). Unlike the one model for all iphone, Android comes in ranges that can suit your budget. I was previously running this 3G/HDSPA android phone, that costs $200USD outright, something you wont get from Apple or MS.

Some refreshing un-iphone like features... connects/charges via standard micro-USB cable, expandable to 32GB via a microSD.. and a removable battery!

mtfbwya

Was looking on craigslist today and stumble across a pretty good buy. for $25 a lady sold me a NES and 10 games:

Super Mario Bros 3

Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt 2in1

Battletoads

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Star Voyager

Sesame Street (*sigh*... it's for collector's purposes only)

Track and Field

World Wrestling

Snake Rattle and Role

Gotcha

Pretty good buy in my opinion.

You do realize there is also that NES Repair Shop still sells stuff for it all?

Also there are stores out there that will sell you reprogrammable cartridges and even some programs and USB equpiment for your NES. Or just stuff like that.

I still have a bunch of NES games I'm looking to sell and several consoles I'm fixing up. Sold a few at a flea market already. Mostly what goes wrong with these is the contacts are corroding and oxidizing. If you have some "DE-ox it" and/or "circuit write" you can fix this if it isn't too bad. If it's other problems, I might be able to help...unless the 6510 processor chip inside it is messed up for some reason--and I actually have a couple of those. :p

If you want, I can show you how to change the power indicator LED. Not that most people mind red, but given that places like Fry's and Radio Shack and similar sell just about any color, you might be interested. Also there are RGB rainbow combo LEDs at electronic goldmine, right here.

Or just hit me up if you need to fix it in some other way, though I'd imagine with the modular setup that replacing bad parts to fix your unit is a fairly straightforward matter.

Also do check out instructables' NES computer...just a suggestion: I would NOT put the portable hard drive *inside* the casing--I don't care how aesthetically pleasing it looks that way, you're just asking for a premature thermal breakdown. Maybe do add some peltier cooling devices in any case b/c it's a tight fit. *shrug*

Best of luck.

You do realize there is also that NES Repair Shop still sells stuff for it all?

Also there are stores out there that will sell you reprogrammable cartridges and even some programs and USB equpiment for your NES. Or just stuff like that.

I still have a bunch of NES games I'm looking to sell and several consoles I'm fixing up. Sold a few at a flea market already. Mostly what goes wrong with these is the contacts are corroding and oxidizing. If you have some "DE-ox it" and/or "circuit write" you can fix this if it isn't too bad. If it's other problems, I might be able to help...unless the 6510 processor chip inside it is messed up for some reason--and I actually have a couple of those. :p

If you want, I can show you how to change the power indicator LED. Not that most people mind red, but given that places like Fry's and Radio Shack and similar sell just about any color, you might be interested. Also there are RGB rainbow combo LEDs at electronic goldmine, right here.

Or just hit me up if you need to fix it in some other way, though I'd imagine with the modular setup that replacing bad parts to fix your unit is a fairly straightforward matter.

Also do check out instructables' NES computer...just a suggestion: I would NOT put the portable hard drive *inside* the casing--I don't care how aesthetically pleasing it looks that way, you're just asking for a premature thermal breakdown. Maybe do add some peltier cooling devices in any case b/c it's a tight fit. *shrug*

Best of luck.

I'm mainly interested in collecting the games. I've collected several other systems and their games in the past but I always end up selling them. In my town we have an independently owned game store that sells any system you can think of, but getting their hands on them aren't easy. They sell plenty of NES games.

On the fixing side of things, it seems to me that the main problem is the 72pin connector isn't in the greatest condition. I have trouble getting the games to work. Some times it just takes a few tries, others I can't get them to work period.

Fortunately I've done my research so I know where to buy a pin connector and how to install it.

I'm mainly interested in collecting the games. I've collected several other systems and their games in the past but I always end up selling them. In my town we have an independently owned game store that sells any system you can think of, but getting their hands on them aren't easy. They sell plenty of NES games.
Those getups are always awesome. Too bad I couldn't afford the genesis stuff from one old Italian fella awhile back--huge library in almost pristine condition.

On the fixing side of things, it seems to me that the main problem is the 72pin connector isn't in the greatest condition. I have trouble getting the games to work. Some times it just takes a few tries, others I can't get them to work period.

Mostly that, and what works is detaching that connector and spraying it down like I suggested. Do let it dry completely. If it still is bad try *gently* picking it clean then de oxidizing it again to restore it. Sometimes it just has to be replaced, no two ways about it.

Indeed in most cases it is the connector.

Fortunately I've done my research so I know where to buy a pin connector and how to install it.

I thought that you might be read up on that. o_Q

Funny story, I was going to get an alienware laptop for college because I always wanted one. Then I realized that money is a good thing to have in college. So I got an Asus that was better than the alienware I could afford and saved like $800 And Asus has the best tech support I've encountered. Ever.

Now, which one to play with first :xp:

I know what I'd pick.... in only one of those games can you loot the corpses of corrupt late 15th Cenutury mercenario and get called Figlio Di Puttana! by a passer by :thmbup1:

As for me, tech forum people/folders will be aware of my admiration of my Samsung 30" 1600p monitor.. My samsung died and after a full refund(3 years warranty woot), I'll be upgrading to the Dell 30" 3008WFP which also runs at 2500x1600. Unlike my previous samsung display, this also supports displayport and has a scaler chip so I can plug in a ps3 via hdmi = nice

Fig.1 . Size matters to women

DELL3008WFP.jpg

mtfbwya

I know what I'd pick.... in only one of those games can you loot the corpses of corrupt late 15th Cenutury mercenario and get called Figlio Di Puttana! by a passer by :thmbup1:

Yeah, I'd pick Batman too.

:lol: Wished I had taken the advice from either of you.. I didn't realize what a button-masher Dante's Inferno would wind up to be :¬:

Yeah, I expected a hack-n-slasher.. but gawdz this game has so many confusing combos it's not even funny. Total sucktackular controls to boot. Seems like they looked over Force Unleashed and said "let's one-up the suckness".. and.. and QT EVENTS! aarrrgghhhh :headbump

Horribly disappointed so far. Graphics and content are dazzling (and NOT kid-friendly.. it's earned the "M" rating.. hehehe)... but 'graphics do not a game make' so says my inner Yoda...

• 4 weeks later...

lolz.... I'm not a devout muslim by any means, but any chance to wear a whacky tshirt will not go to waste. Must find out where I can get one in a boys size :p

116960573_8f8067f84b.jpg

I'll also be picking up one of these(the one on top).

blackandwhite3.jpg

In order to play these non pc titles :p

1204350-final_fantasy_xiii_box_art_.jpg

Max Payne + Twin Peaks =win

Alan_Wake_cover.jpg

aka "Project: Horsey Game"

rdr_coverart_xbox360.jpg

mtfbwya

Archived