Home

The Official AHTO "Cool Stuff" Thread :) (56k warning)

Astrotoy7

@ milojmiles - no, I didn't really notice the game until I was browsing EB for fun(costly habit), but I played the first one and I found it comically/enjoyably one of the best games, although I'll prolly get it for my PSP so I can play it on the go, and depending on my cash flow I may have to wait for a price dropage as well, I'm not exactly rich, and I'm most likely the only one on these forums who plans to pre-order a PS3 :p, so I need to start saving up, plus I already pre-ordered FFXII so I'm already in a negative cash flow :(

@Jae - the kids remind me of myself and my cousin back when we used to play TNMT- Turtles in Time and Power Rangers the Movie for SNES, and even before that, we used to play two-player Contra for the NES:

up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, start

I still have that memorized to this day… aahh good times :)

Jae, after spending only over $1,100 in one year on ways to improve the graphics of my video games, how you can't buy a card with over 32 MB is beyond me. :eek:
Actually, finding a good gaming laptop can be fairly hard, my laptop is about 2 years old, has 1gig of RAM and a 128mb graphics card, but it cost me about 2,200$, which would be considered a rip off nowadays, but it was the best deal I could find back then. My desktop that I built last year though... cost me 1800$ total, but that thing is a beast :D

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jae, after spending only over $1,100 in one year on ways to improve the graphics of my video games, how you can't buy a card with over 32 MB is beyond me. :eek:

Oh, I can buy the card, but the only other one that'll work with my system is a 64Mb. I can't get anything bigger because my laptop's 2.5 years old now and apparently that's it for this particular brand.

the only other one that'll work with my system is a 64Mb. I can't get anything bigger because my laptop's 2.5 years old now and apparently that's it for this particular brand.

I see... but that's so difficult to grasp. With a 32 MB card, you can't enable frame buffer effects and AA, much less grass or even the high texture packs, can you? Egad!

after selling my previous PDA phone I was going through withdrawal. I use one alot. I picked up this slightly older but very cool asus p505

asus_p505_03.jpg

An Asus a8n sli premium motherboard with the sexy 'cool pipe'

asusmbuj0.jpg

an Asus Vento Case

Vento3600.jpg

so, i've finally built my SLI rig. Ive got an dual+1 SLI setup going now, with my own dual gpu 1gb XFX geforce 7950 card and a 7900 card a friend is graciously letting me borrow until i decide if I'm going quad-sli.

Even with the 2+1 setup, things look VERY sexy at high rez ;)

mtfbwya

I see... but that's so difficult to grasp. With a 32 MB card, you can't enable frame buffer effects and AA, much less grass or even the high texture packs, can you? Egad!

No, I can't enable much of anything, but Kotor's something I play more for the stories, so it's no big deal to me if the grass shows or not. And compared to Atari, the graphics rock. :D

Jimbo's got it all enabled on our home computer, but I honestly can't deal with the Force speed blur, so I end up turning that down anyway.

It's a small price to pay for being able to play the game anywhere my computer and I happen to be--office, plane, hotel.... My kids and I have played in the car on long trips before and burned out one cigarette lighter converter already. :)

*Jae looks over Astro's new toys....* I can hardly fathom having that much power in any of my computers, much less putting it to full use. I'd have to mortgage my house and my children to buy the items that could make full use of that. Whew! :)

No, I can't enable much of anything, but Kotor's something I play more for the stories, so it's no big deal to me if the grass shows or not.

It's the same for me, but if you've played KotOR for three years, you'll see that better graphics can give a fresh breath of life after a while.

Jimbo's got it all enabled on our home computer, but I honestly can't deal with the Force speed blur, so I end up turning that down anyway.

You can get rid of the Force speed blur with Kotor Tool and not have to sacrifice frame buffer effects. :)

@Astro, A 7950 and 7900? You lucky dog! And here I was thinking I'd be content with a 7800 for a while.

[Jae in Mama mode]

Herbie, dear, you gotta get help if you're really feeling that way.

[/Mama mode]

And, it won't be that way forever. I was a poor college student for a very long time--eleven years, actually. There were lots of things I couldn't get for a long time. However, my friends and I were very creative at finding free or cheap entertainment (note to RJM--and clean, too, thank you!). After we got done with school, we were able to afford some of those toys. We don't have the biggest/best/newest, but while I may drool over some of the things here, we don't need some of it for what we do, either.

Our latest acquisition: Larry-Boy and the Bad Apple.

My kids love Larry-Boy. So does their mama. :D

I just realised, when you have no job, this is the msot depressing thread in the world. Coincidentally, an advert for gilette razor blades came up.

Hey - take it easy Herbie. Dont get too glum. Im 31 now and have only been able to buy stuff like this for the last 4 years or so. I spent most of my uni years catchin the bus/train and even a couple of my work years. I see young kids and teens with the stuff I have now and I think HOLY **** !! are these kids going to learn the value of things if they are just given them like that.... :( Until I was about 25-6 I had nothin :( But at that age though, I graduated and got a nicely paying job and even though it was a long hard road to get to this(and Im hardly rich) I feel very lucky and very priveleged. :violin:

so chin up. study/work hard and things will turn out nice :)

mtfbwya

• 2 weeks later...

Archived