Home

Creating a (Beta) Server (works with Full Version too!)

Nobodymrb

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...you just have to know who to ask, and how to ask.

Knowing who to ask and how to ask, is also information. Who and how do I ask, to get the information on who and how I should ask, to attain the information that I don't know?

(who or whom. I don't know or care enough to look it up.)

hey do you mind if i get that info as well? im pretty sure if i make a beta server then i'll need admin controls. oh and is there any way to control the hero status? like the amount of points you need to earn before you can become one and the amount of people to be able to play a character??

thanks, any info is highly appreciated.

Sure thing, I just grabbed it from here. ;)

(Note: these are from SWBF1's 1.3 beta, but they are the same here, just replace the map names for the ones in this game below):

Remote Admin

Remote admin commands can be typed in game through the chat

system. Use global chat (ctrl-t) and start each command

with /admin. The first admin command must be /login unless

you are on the host. The admin password is set from the

command line with the /adminpw <password> option.

“/login <password>” – login as admin

“/waitlate” | “/nowaitlate” – turn on and off waiting for

late moves from clients

“/dropmap” – drop the specified map from the rotation or

the current map if no map is specified

“/addmap” – add a map to the rotation

“/nextmap” – skip to the specified map at the end of the

current game

“/players” – list the players in game

“/boot <player number>” – boot the specified player

“/endgame” – end the current game

“/say” – send an admin message to all players

“/maps” – list the maps in rotation

“/shutdown” – shutdown the server

“/bandwidth <kbps>” – set the hosting bandwidth

“/adminpw <password>” – change the admin password

Sample Dialog:

/admin /login yoda

-> logged in

/admin /players

-> 0 – ‘Drone’

-> 1 – ‘Lindsey’

-> 2 – ‘Duurrp’

-> 3 - ‘KonKushn’

-> 4 – ‘Stryker’

-> 5 – ‘Darth Sinical’

/admin /boot 0

-> booted

In addition to in game admin there is a “Terminal”

application for controlling servers. It is very minimal

but functional. All of the commands above can be entered

from the terminal but you must first connect using

the command ‘connect <ip address> | <host name>’.

Sample Dialog:

connect swbf005

-> hello

/admin /login yoda

-> logged in

/admin /maps

-> hot1i

/admin /addmap rhn2c

-> map added

/admin /endgame

-> game ended

Here are the mission names to use with /addmap

Maps endings:

a - Alliance (GCW)

i - Imperial (GCW)

r - Republic (CW)

c - CIS (CW)

1 - usually out in the open

2 - usually in a city

bes1a

bes1r

bes2a

bes2r

end1a

geo1r

hot1i

kam1c

kas1c

kas1i

kas2c

kas2i

nab1c

nab1i

nab2a

nab2c

rhn1i

rhn1r

rhn2a

rhn2c

tat1i

tat1r

tat2i

tat2r

yav1c

yav1i

yav2i

yav2r

The addon maps for Jabba’s palace

tat3c tat3a

You may also find this page, at Tweak Guides (again for SWBF1) useful. Lots of info! I'd never run a SWBF1 server, but most or all of the stuff is the same here apparently.

As to modifying the Hero stuff that's something I don't know yet. So make your batch file and away you go! But type carefully... due to that weird typing bug, it's easy to mistype, don't give away your login accidentally!

ready kiddies?

ok, good listen up.

I'm going to list some command line switches and what they are for.

/adminpw goaway sets the admin password. in this case it's "goaway"

/noaim turns off 'aim assist'

/noteamdamage nuff said

/heroes 1 turns heros on

/hrunlock 3 sets heros unlock mode to points.

/hrunlockvalue 15 set the threshold of the unlock. in this case, first team with a member to reach 15 points.

/hrplayer 1 sets teh 'award' mode for who gets the hero. in this case, the player wih the most points.

/hrteam 3 sets which teams get heros. in this case, both teams, seperatly. (means that there can be both factions' heroes on the field at the same time., but not always.)

/hrrespawn 2 honestly, i don't know what this does, so leave it at 2. i do know that it has to be in there.

/hrrespawnvalue 30 sets teh time on respawning for the hero. 30 seconds here i think.

/pregametime 30 sets how long you see that "game will start in XX" countdown. i like mine set at 14. :D

/spawn 0 sets spawn invincibility, zero for none. 2 seconds is good. spawn mining is bad, mmmkay?

/bootlagger 300 sets a value for allowing laggers on the server, here it's set to 300ms.

and here is the full command line for the settings above, just make a batch file like is lined out above. with these settings.

i have removed the directory, use your own. all you'll have to do is change the server name and admin password. you'll get all maps, GCW first, then CW.

/win /norender /nosound /autonet dedicated /resolution 640 480 /gamename test /adminpw goaway /tps 30 /playerlimit 30 /playercount 1 /bots 12 /noaim /noteamdamage /difficulty 3 /bootlagger 300 /heroes 1 /hrunlock 3 /hrunlockvalue 15 /hrplayer 1 /hrteam 3 /hrrespawn 2 /hrrespawnvalue 30 /pregametime 14 /voicemode 2 /throttle 6144 /spawn 3 /netregion NA spa1g_1flag 200 200 spa1g_ass 200 200 tan1g_con 200 200 tan1g_1flag 200 200 uta1g_con 200 200 uta1g_1flag 200 200 tan1c_con 200 200 tan1c_1flag 200 200 uta1c_con 200 200 uta1c_1flag 200 200

enjoy. now check out our website. http://www.theartofwarfare.net

Also you might want to mention that you can change how many tickets each team begins with on each map. Though 200 vs 200 is what everyone is using and this is a good number (more than that it tends to drag on and usually you just win via captures in Conquest at least), you can freely change it to your liking!

Um, i have a copy of DSmanager, that's how we have three (3) servers running.

no command line tricks here.

just remember, TAW also had the first private dedicated server up.

http://www.theartofwarfare.net

Be that as it may, the secret's out! Anybody can run a beta server. Don't get uptight about who was first, just test the game and get the feedback to the devs!

PS: You can run multiple servers with batch files, if you wanted to for some reason. ;)

Also you might want to mention that you can change how many tickets each team begins with on each map. Though 200 vs 200 is what everyone is using and this is a good number (more than that it tends to drag on and usually you just win via captures in Conquest at least), you can freely change it to your liking!

good point, i forgot to mention that

Be that as it may, the secret's out! Anybody can run a beta server. Don't get uptight about who was first, just test the game and get the feedback to the devs!

actually, we have a direct line to teh devs. it was only a secret until someone 'remembered' how to actually use the command line.

PS: You can run multiple servers with batch files, if you wanted to for some reason. ;)

intresting, i didn't know that.

I would advise against running more than one session on the same box that you are playing.

/noaim turns off 'aim assist'

/hrrespawn 2 honestly, i don't know what this does, so leave it at 2. i do know that it has to be in there.

/bootlagger 300 sets a value for allowing laggers on the server, here it's set to 300ms.

1) So is there some type of auto-aim on by default?

2) 'hrrespawn' most likely stands for hero respawn. Maybe the amount of heros allowed on the battlefield at a time?

3) What is a boot lagger? Someone who takes a while to load the next map?

I am able to write a nice program with a good GUI to create the batch file for everyone. Can anyone think of a way this would be aganist the EULA? If it is, I won't do it, but if not, it would be a non-profit and an open source program.

Edit: An example of the program is here: http://www.cs.rit.edu/~dpk3062/SWBF2%20Server/example.bmp

As you can see it is not finished, but user will be able to customize the tabs and options for the program, thus making it useful beyond SWBF2. What do you think?

Apparently the "auto-aim" in SWBF1 was left on, it was a console leftover, since people couldn't aim as precisely with a gamepad as with a mouse, they gave them a bit of help. When people discovered it, they rationalized that this could be a good thing for joystick users, but ultimately it was seen as unfair, leading to people insisting on it being turned off.

They might have turned it off by default in SWBF2 PC though... I've always had it off on my server, just in case. ;)

I imagine you've guessed right for the other options. That'd be my guess...

Though I think "bootlaggers" is more literal... "boot" as a synonym for "kick" rather than boot as in "booting up" (loading the map). So it is an auto kick for people who lag too much after joining.

1) So is there some type of auto-aim on by default?

2) 'hrrespawn' most likely stands for hero respawn. Maybe the amount of heros allowed on the battlefield at a time?

3) What is a boot lagger? Someone who takes a while to load the next map?

I am able to write a nice program with a good GUI to create the batch file for everyone. Can anyone think of a way this would be aganist the EULA? If it is, I won't do it, but if not, it would be a non-profit and an open source program.

Edit: An example of the program is here: http://www.cs.rit.edu/~dpk3062/SWBF2%20Server/example.bmp

As you can see it is not finished, but user will be able to customize the tabs and options for the program, thus making it useful beyond SWBF2. What do you think?

I doubt it would be a big deal. You are not hacking into their code, you are simply using your program to input the batch file entries instead of typing via command line.

actually, we have a direct line to teh devs. it was only a secret until someone 'remembered' how to actually use the command line.

Not calling you a liar, mind you, but if you have a direct line to the SWBF2 team, why did you need to have an amateur server and not an official one? Or are you citing this "DSManager" (I could find no info on it) as PROOF that you're official?

Using the command line and batch files is a "trick" only because people are used to these server launcher programs that hold our hands. Since the stuff is so similar to SWBF1 I'm surprised it took this long! But if you want to take credit for starting the "amateur servers" phenomena by getting yours noticed and getting people to "remember", be my guest. ;)

In any case, I took your posts to be bragging, hence my less than charitable sounding comments. It was like you were saying "well, if you suck up to us, some of our exclusive info might rub off on you!" Yech!

It's now a public beta test, so unless you signed an NDA, I think it comes off as elitest BS. Theoretically anyone who runs a server or uses the beta is worthy of being listened to, though I'm sure plenty of people won't have anything worthwhile to say (only signing up to get a "free game").

Again that's my personal impression, feel free to disagree. The people who paid got stuff early, I don't exactly know what you did or didn't do to get in their good graces (though a popular tournament site I can see doing that just on that fact), but don't feel you have to lay it on thick to impress us. ;)

Anyway, not to flame or sound like I'm jealous (I'm not), I'm just disagreeing with the superior attitude I thought you were expressing earlier. Hope you understand!

intresting, i didn't know that.

I would advise against running more than one session on the same box that you are playing.

Any reason why? (Other than the obvious drain on system resources of course)

Not calling you a liar, mind you, but if you have a direct line to the SWBF2 team, why did you need to have an amateur server and not an official one? Or are you citing this "DSManager" (I could find no info on it) as PROOF that you're official?

DSmanager is the GUI launcher that comes when you DL the dedicated server code.

I'm surprised it took this long!

join the club.

But if you want to take credit for starting the "amateur servers" phenomena by getting yours noticed and getting people to "remember", be my guest. ;)

and what exactly would be a professional server?

In any case, I took your posts to be bragging, hence my less than charitable sounding comments. It was like you were saying "well, if you suck up to us, some of our exclusive info might rub off on you!" Yech!

brag, i do not.

It's now a public beta test, so unless you signed an NDA, I think it comes off as elitest BS.

I did, and now that things are in public, i can talk about them. that's why everyone that posted in our forums asking how we got a server running got thier posts moved.

(though a popular tournament site I can see doing that just on that fact), but don't feel you have to lay it on thick to impress us. ;)

that's exactly how we got in on it. We are one of the largest SWBF clans in the world. We have over 650 members spread between 13 sims.

Anyway, not to flame or sound like I'm jealous (I'm not), I'm just disagreeing with the superior attitude I thought you were expressing earlier. Hope you understand!

i went back and re-read some of the garbage that i posted earlier. I could see how you'd say that.

Any reason why? (Other than the obvious drain on system resources of course)

+1

paging captain obvious.

it needed to be said, otherwise someone would try to run two 64 players server on a P4 1.2ghz, 256 of ram and wonder why it lags.

DSmanager is the GUI launcher that comes when you DL the dedicated server code.

And how'd you get to download the dedicated server code? ;)

and what exactly would be a professional server?

However LucasArts/Pandemic setup the beta test in the first place. Before we started using batch files, how did they setup the servers for people to start joining? That's what I mean. Or did they just hand them out to random people and say "run a server for us"? I doubt that!

I imagine they'd have their own servers, and they could always pick groups (like your's) to do so. I just wondered if you were specifically picked or you just "got one" some other way. ;)

brag, i do not.

Mmmm, if say so you do. ;)

I did, and now that things are in public, i can talk about them. that's why everyone that posted in our forums asking how we got a server running got thier posts moved.

Ah, now the truth comes out. ;) Well I'm glad you didn't get into any trouble on account of our prying questions!

that's exactly how we got in on it. We are one of the largest SWBF clans in the world. We have over 650 members spread between 13 sims.

That actually sounds like it could be the entire pc SWBF community (there's barely a hundred people on at any given time spread out over 26 servers). Kudos!

i went back and re-read some of the garbage that i posted earlier. I could see how you'd say that.

Good, I hate to be a jerk, but I call 'em as I see 'em. ;)

+1

paging captain obvious.

it needed to be said, otherwise someone would try to run two 64 players server on a P4 1.2ghz, 256 of ram and wonder why it lags.

Roger. They will still try it though, and wonder... ;)

PS: ASE only shows 69 beta testers on right now, on six servers... four in the US and two in Germany. That can't be right?? Though I see you in your own private server right now! ;)

...However LucasArts/Pandemic setup the beta test in the first place. Before we started using batch files, how did they setup the servers for people to start joining? That's what I mean. Or did they just hand them out to random people and say "run a server for us"? I doubt that!

That actually sounds like it could be the entire pc SWBF community (there's barely a hundred people on at any given time spread out over 26 servers). Kudos!

PS: ASE only shows 69 beta testers on right now, on six servers... four in the US and two in Germany. That can't be right?? Though I see you in your own private server right now! ;)

LucasArts most likely had the command line arguments working first, to setup any any servers. Or, early on and having access to the soure code, hard coded in all the variables needed for the servers. The first user interface for creating servers would have been the command line interface.

TAW does not have me.

What is ASE?

When I had my servers running, I had three going at a time. Anyone who was on it want to say if it was laggy?

The command line stuff worked in SWBF1 as well, it's virtually unchanged. So without a program module to launch a server or a stand alone file for running servers (the ones for SWBF1 were all huge unweildy affairs IIRC), it's about all you've got!

ASE = All-Seeing Eye, a popular game server browser program. Btw, you can check the pings via your own game browser. ASE also lists the SWBF2 beta servers under "other" versions in SWBF1 interestingly enough, but I'm not sure if it's showing all servers or not.

Archived