Home

Episode XX: The Jedi, the Sith, and the Hunger

Tysyacha

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I'M TELLING THE TRUTH!" yelled the man. "Soz's smart. He knows he can't be betrayed by his own people if he has no people. Nobody I know has seen him in person, everything is relayed by couriers, and we only know what we need to know!"

Jack nodded. "As far as he knows, it's the truth."

"Very well, then," Riebe said. She turned back to the prisoner. "Thank you for the information. We'll let you rest now."

She stood and left the room.

---------------

"You look like you have a tough decision on the brain," Alyssa said, staring at Cuth's face.

Jack followed after Riebe. The prisoner looked at them, his face worried.

---------

"No.....yeah......" He sighed. "I don't know. I mean, the last few months I was scared. Partly that Elron would find me again, partly that my life wouldn't ever mean anything. Now I've got a chance to do something meaningful with my life and.....I'm not sure I should take it."

Alyssa smiled sympathetically. "When my parents died, I felt the same way. I could become a Jedi or just completely abandon what my parents were and live from day to day. Originally, that's what I'd planned to do... which is why the cloners caught me."

She chuckled. "I spent two months thinking I was the 99th clone of Alyssa Renolin. They'd designated me A2... they numbered us... the clones backwards. Then, Riebe got me out of there and helped me regain my memory. It was because of her that I joined the Jedi, but it wasn't until two years later that I started being trained by her."

She shook her head. "But that's just me. It really is up to you, but just remember. There is meaning outside of the Jedi. If you decide not to join us, remember that and I'm sure you will find your purpose."

Cuth went back to the ship. Inside Reynolds, Orlov and Burne were trying to decide what do next.

"I don't trust him." Burne was sayinhg

"What's going on?" Asked Cuth

"Kayla wants to stay here with Elron."

"What?"

"Yeah. "

"You can't let her do that!"

"It's her decision."

"But she's wrong!"

Reynolds sighed. "I guess there's only one thing we can do. I'll take the job the jedi offered me." He hadn't seriously considered accepting the job, unless he ever got into a real tight spot financially. But now it was the perfect way to keep an eye on Kayla.

"I don't like it" Said Orlov. "You know what happened last time we worked for the republic."

"This time we'll have jedi onboard."

"I like that less!"

"Well what else can we do?"

Silence.

"I'll go tell her then." Said Reynolds.

--------

"It could be a copy-cat." Said Jack. "I don't see how else the stories could be true."

"Let me tell you a little something I learned about Berg Soz while I was in hiding," Riebe said. "He's been around since our days... a legend, right? A story concocted... someone to blame for things the government doesn't want to take credit for, right?" She shook her head. "The name has been passed from generation to generation. It works because nobody's ever seen him. He exists. Each new one is trained by the old one. They're always on the lookout for new talent and they're training a new one almost from the first day they become the standing Berg Soz."

"No," Riebe agreed. "No, it's not. One of the reasons he's hard to track down is that he operates out of a small ship. I tracked him down once... and nearly got killed doing it. He escaped on a shuttle and I was forced to crash land his ship. Either way, he's slippery. We won't find him easily, but it's what has to happen if we want to figure out what's going on."

"I chased his agents," Riebe answered. "Through them, I located the signals by which he was to be contacted. Then, I contacted him long enough to pinpoint his location and picked up his trail when I got there."

She shrugged. "He wasn't expecting it, but you can be sure we can't use the same technique now. He'll have adapted."

------------

Alyssa smiled. "I'll inform Master Skywalker of your decision. I'm sure he'll be pleased."

Archived