Home

More KOTOR III Possibilty News! (KOTOR MMO Confirmed?)

kookaburra

Hi all, I was just browsing some information on the fusion of Bioware and Pandemic Studios,

All the proof we need to say that Bioware is NOT going to make K3.

Pandemic and LA combated over each other over the intellectual property right of the game Mercenaries, and had a falling out. Now Pandemic is producing the game by itself. What a shame, since Mercenaries is a very succesful non-Star Wars game that LA made. Now it lost it...And Pandemic now knows never to deal with LA ever again.

And since Bioware is now going to be fused with Pandemic, Bioware won't deal with LA either. KOTOR3 is going to be made by Obisidian now (which is good news, yay, because of their story which I enjoy...but others may disagree).

EDIT: Corrected Obivlion to Obisidan! I did not mean to type obivilion, it was a typo. It is Obisidain. Oh, and just to make sure, yes...it is a guess of mine, maybe LA would sell it off to someone else to do it.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
KOTOR3 is going to be made by Oblivion now (which is good news, yay, because of their story which I enjoy...but others may disagree).
:eyeraise: Oblivion? If by Oblivion you mean the company that made the game The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Bethesda Softworks, then people that read your post should know that your statement is really only so much speculation. I'm not aware of any official news that Bethesda will make KotOR 3.

Unless you have something definitive to reference in regards to this it would be nice if you would preface such a statement with "I think..." or "My guess is..." since that is all it seems you are really doing.

Oblivion? If by Oblivion you mean the company that made the game The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Bethesda Softworks, then people that read your post should know that your statement is really only so much speculation. I'm not aware of any official news that Bethesda will make KotOR 3.

Or, you know, I made a mistake in typing and made a typo?

I meant to say...Obisdian, not Obivlion! Sorry!

I wonder what Lucas Arts has to officially say. My reasoning is that there have been several rumors that Obsidian Ent. has been working on KotOR III for some time, and now Feargus Urquhart, the CEO of Obsidian Entertainment comes out and says they have been in talks since August 2004. I think there is a contradiction somewhere.

Some questions that come up:

1. Are they or are they not working on KIII?

2. How long have they 'been working' on KotOR III?

3. Why all the cloak and dagger? Why don't just tell everyone they have been working on KotOR III?

For a company that has been denying they are not in anyway connected to KotOR III, Obsidian has a intresting way of showing there is no connection.

Edit:

This could be Obsidian's way of trying to keep connected to the KotOR series. If you go to LucasArts.com, their Flash advertising no longer has KotOR II. KotOR II was removed from the Flash advertising about a week ago. Obsidian could be trying to keep the KotOR series going.

Therefore, I would take what Obsidian has to say about KotOR III as speculation. Until I hear something from Lucas Arts, I don't know what to believe.

Check out the press release from May '06 buried in the Bioware website about the Bioware/Pandemic Studios merge and the existing IP's that they WILL continue to work on. The KOTOR series is specifically mentioned as a franchise they are going to continue to leverage. Thats why there's nothing from Obsidian, and probably why the continueing media silence. I put a link in another post in this thread a day or so ago to the press release. I also wrote for info. from the Bioware/Pandemic press spokesman, but I haven't heard anything back yet.

All the proof we need to say that Bioware is NOT going to make K3.

Pandemic and LA combated over each other over the intellectual property right of the game Mercenaries, and had a falling out. Now Pandemic is producing the game by itself. What a shame, since Mercenaries is a very succesful non-Star Wars game that LA made. Now it lost it...And Pandemic now knows never to deal with LA ever again.

And since Bioware is now going to be fused with Pandemic, Bioware won't deal with LA either. KOTOR3 is going to be made by Obisidian now (which is good news, yay, because of their story which I enjoy...but others may disagree).

EDIT: Corrected Obivlion to Obisidan! I did not mean to type obivilion, it was a typo. It is Obisidain. Oh, and just to make sure, yes...it is a guess of mine, maybe LA would sell it off to someone else to do it.

OK, I'm going to put just the sentance you guys need to focus on here from that article you found, and Emporer Devon, you pay attention son.....

read: "develop new, original titles as well as continuing to leverage the licensed franchises and owned-IP each is known for"

Continueing to leverage, that does not mean games that we did, that means games they ARE DOING (CONTINUEING TO LEVERAGE, May 2006)

Now here's the whole pertinent sentance all together : "Co-equal and complementary, the newly partnered video game studios are working both in tandem and separately to develop new, original titles as well as continuing to leverage the licensed franchises and owned-IP each is known for including: Mercenaries™, Destroy All Humans!™, Full Spectrum Warrior™, and Star Wars® Battlefront™ II from Pandemic and Mass Effect™, Dragon Age™, Baldur's Gate™, Neverwinter Nights™, Star Wars®: Knights of the Old Republic™ and Jade Empire™ from BioWare. That very clearly states that each of these franchises WILL see more titles released. This is a list of Franchises that ARE ongoing, and perhaps even in developement now.

You could dismiss the statement, but it's right from the Bioware/Pandemic website. They wouldn't have specifically said "continuing to leverage the licensed franchises and owned-IP each is known for including: Mercenaries™, Destroy All Humans!™, Full Spectrum Warrior™, and Star Wars® Battlefront™ II from Pandemic and Mass Effect™, Dragon Age™, Baldur's Gate™, Neverwinter Nights™, Star Wars®: Knights of the Old Republic™ and Jade Empire™ from BioWare."

Read it any way you want, to me it's clearly telling us that KOTOR3 is coming. Regardless, when was the last time a successful game producer dropped one of it's most successful franchises?

Now this is speculation: They list ten franchises, they say on their website that they are working on five games right now, thats a 50% chance KOTOR3 is one of those five if you add nothing else to the math. Mass Effect is new so I would guess production for the sequel is near the end of the line of priorities. SW Battlefront II is fairly new, in fact most of these franchises have more recent installments than the KOTOR series. Combine that with the popularity, high ratings, and success of the KOTOR series, I would say KOTOR3 is one of the five "in progress" games, and I bet it's in the three that they specifically mention by a generic letter designation on the website, that they can't talk about by name, but that they can give us vague info on. Follow the link, read it, form your own opinions, ok if you still want not to believe, I tried. When it comes out, I'm gonna post "I told you so"s all over the place :o)

Co-equal and complementary, the newly partnered video game studios are working both in tandem and separately to develop new, original titles as well as continuing to leverage the licensed franchises and owned-IP each is known for including: Mercenaries™, Destroy All Humans!™, Full Spectrum Warrior™, and Star Wars® Battlefront™ II from Pandemic and Mass Effect™, Dragon Age™, Baldur's Gate™, Neverwinter Nights™, Star Wars®: Knights of the Old Republic™ and Jade Empire™ from BioWare. That very clearly states that each of these franchises WILL see more titles released.

It's phrased rather poorly, but that article simply states each company has developed those games. The way they said it, though, it can either mean that or that they're continuing them. But given how many there are, the second one is unlikely. That statement wasn't phrased very well, though.

Either that or it's inaccurate. KotOR is the intellectual property of Lucasarts, not BioWare.

It's phrased rather poorly, but that article simply states each company has developed those games. The way they said it, though, it can either mean that or that they're continuing them. But given how many there are, the second one is unlikely. That statement wasn't phrased very well, though.

Either that or it's inaccurate. KotOR is the intellectual property of Lucasarts, not BioWare.

You must have breezed right over the part about "continue to leverage" that means sell more product.

I'm pretty sure Bioware has stated that they will only be working on they own IP games in the future...

Quite right. They won't go back to Star Wars. They really got their hands full at the moment anyway.

Obsidian is still there, but they have a lot of work to do to patch up NWN2 and make it more playable. I don't think they have other announced projects, so it's not impossible for them to be chosen by LA again.

Fact: BioWare will not make KotOR III.

The only plausible option is Obsidian. Why? Because only they know what direction the story is heading in. They started it, so they should finish it. I’ve spoken to Chris Avellone (the guy who wrote the story for TSL) and Feargus Urquhart (the head of Obsidian) before via PM.

Avellone and Urquhart have said they’d love to do KotOR III. They have expressed interest in making the game. Avellone has also said that when he wrote TSL, he had a plot for KotOR III in mind. Give Obsidian a realistic time schedule for the development of KotOR III, and it will be one hell awesome game.

So, since they want to, they will get to is what you are saying. Lucasarts will more than likely consider both studios and may have already made thier choice. The Story would be good leverage for Obsidian to use if they wanted to get the game, but Bioware did develop the first. It would not be hard for Bioware to either use the existing Obsidian Script, or create thier own that is cohesive with KOTOR 3.

Obsidian is not a very large company, and can only handle one or two games at a time. Bioware is growing very fast, and has quite a few projects lined up. Some of thier projects haven't even been announced. For Example:

bioscreen.jpg

Number 2 could very easily be KOTOR 3. All that is happening right now is a bunch of hopeful KOTOR fans making wild accusations with little or no evidence.

It is a strech to say that Bioware/Pandemic will never work with LucasArts again. Hell, their lead designer for the MMORPG they are doing was a Lead Designer on Galaxies.

It is also unreasonable to say that they will only work on original IPs when that statement is a few years old (Before Mass Effect or Dragon Age). They have established thier own IPs and must now balance liscenced with original. On their own site it says they will continue to use liscenced material for upcoming games.

Of course, there is just as much chance that Obsidian will create the game, or LA will do it in house. The truth is, nobody here knows.

Number 2 could very easily be KOTOR 3......

I would love to see Bioware do it. I'm hoping to hear an announcment by E3 in this, 30th anniversary year of ANH.

....It is a strech to say that Bioware/Pandemic will never work with LucasArts again. Hell, their lead designer for the MMORPG they are doing was a Lead Designer on Galaxies.

Which makes me very curious, could Bioware possibly be developing swg 2?

You must have breezed right over the part about "continue to leverage" that means sell more product.

Negative, though your confusion is understandable.

First off, Devon is right that it was worded very poorly. I had to read the statement three times before I understood it. Its written in very bad "corporate speak," which is similar to "lawyer speak" but without the legal terminology. However, the "continue to leverage" part, which seems to be the part that threw you off, does not have anything to do with continuing any of the games listed.

"Leverage" simply means that they are using the fact that they made the listed games as a way to attract investors to invest money and/or players to buy their games. For instance, in any of their upcoming games we might see "From the makers of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic" on the box. People who never heard of the game might buy it if they liked KotOR because of that.

In effect, the only positive confirmation we have here is that Bioware did indeed make KotOR.

I'm pretty sure Bioware has stated that they will only be working on they own IP games in the future...

OK, click my link above (to the Bioware/Pandemic website). Everything becomes much more clear when you read it from the official website. Bioware may have said that, but they have added Pandemic Studios and a huge investment firm to the mix. Perhaps Pandemic is doing the existing IP's. I never saw any statement about Bioware doing their own IP's and thats it. Work is stated very clearly as continueing both on owned IP's and independantly owned IP's. BTW They ARE working on five releases right now (as of May 2006) If you dig around from that page, it's all there. Click on the link at the bottom of the page I linked to, it talks about current projects. Go, feast your eyes

Number 2 could very easily be KOTOR 3. All that is happening right now is a bunch of hopeful KOTOR fans making wild accusations with little or no evidence.
Number 2 could also easily be the sequel to Jade Empire. Until BioWare announces what the game actually is all we can do is speculate (a term I prefer over "wild accusations" ;) ).

I never saw any statement about Bioware doing their own IP's and thats it.
I've definitely been one who has thought that BioWare had made clear their intentions to only develop games for their own IP's after they made the original KotOR. This belief came from BioWare's decision to pass off the KotOR and Neverwinter Nights sequels to Obsidian Entertainment instead of making those games themselves, along with this statement made by then BioWare Co-CEO Greg Zeschuk in a 2005 April 11 interview with Inside Pulse

Bebito: You must have a lot of passion invested in Jade Empire. We know BioWare had a hand in recommending Obsidian Entertainment to LucasArts and then licensing the BioWare Odyssey Engine to them for development of KOTOR II. What made you decide to decline hands on involvement with a sequel to the popular franchise you helped create in order to branch off into something completely new? Is there part of you that wishes you had more direct influence over the development of the sequel?

Greg: We opted to focus on developing BioWare\'s own intellectual property, and-having worked with a number of people there in the past-recommended Obsidian to develop the sequel to Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. They did a great job with the game, and will also be building on our BioWare Aurora Engine technology to develop Neverwinter Nights 2. We have worked with a lot of excellent licenses in the past, but we decided to take time to craft our own great worlds like Jade Empire, Dragon Age, and our third unannounced title. We are also focusing a lot of resources on next-generation game-engine technology; our Technology Architecture Group (TAG) is currently developing the BioWare Eclipse Engine, which will power BioWare\'s future titles for both PC and consoles.

When I read the last couple of pages in this thread I decided to do some more research and found an interesting statement made by BioWare's CEO, 7 months after the one I just quoted, in a 2005 November 16 interview, shortly after BioWare joined forces with Pandemic Studios and Elevation Partners. Source: Gamespot
Ray Muzyka: We're really looking at building a balance in our portfolio between very high-profile license use and creating our own original IPs. Now both BioWare and Pandemic have had an enormous amount of success partnering with companies like LucasArts, for example. We've had a lot of success working with big licenses like that. As always, we're going to be very selective. We want to work with licenses where licenses bring something to the table--Star Wars, for example. But you know, at the same time, both BioWare and Pandemic have proven themselves to be uniquely capable of building original IPs that are really exciting to the fan base and are very commercially successful.
I had wondered if the partnership between BioWare and Pandemic Studios had caused any changes in course for BioWare but hadn't really done any serious research on the subject until now. I was surprised to find out that there is a chance BioWare could make the next KotOR. In reality though we're still in a waiting mode to hear that KotOR 3 will actually be made though it's likely more a question of when than if. Maybe it is BioWare's unannounced next-gen title but maybe not. I do know that most of the BioWare team that worked on the original KotOR are working on Mass Effect and since there are two more games planned for that franchise I'm thinking they won't be readily available to work on KotOR 3 if BioWare does make it. Still that doesn't mean BioWare couldn't do it.

Personally I'm fine with either BioWare or Obsidian making the game but I just didn't think there was a chance BioWare would do it until today.

Actually, cutmiester, I think that the interview with Bioware has gone to show that they are nowhere near out of the running. They Want to balance Liscence and IP, so when these next two games that aren't liscenced come out, I would look for at least one of the next games to be "high profile". I think with Dragon Age and Mass effect, along with Jade Empire, Bioware has established thier own properties quite well enough.

I am or the magazine is?

The magazine, not you. :) There's a lot of speculation going on, but nothing definitive from LA itself or any game developers. Since a lot of us have seen the articles proclaiming 'Kotor 3 is a sure thing!' and then heard nothing from LA, we're a little leery of articles like that now.

Welcome to the forums, too.

Archived