Home

More KOTOR III Possibilty News! (KOTOR MMO Confirmed?)

kookaburra

*sigh* I guess maybe this is worth posting...

Finally, I should probably talk about the twin gorillas in the closet. I'm sure there's a correct analogy in there somewhere, but that's what came to mind. Anyway, I'm speaking of the the KotOR3 and Fallout gorillas. Both of those are games that I and everyone else here at Obsidian would love to make. I don't know if we will ever get the chance, but I do continue to talk with LucasArts about what might be going on with KotOR3.

Source: Top Ten @ Obsidian, Featuring Feargus Urquhart

So at least we know that Obsidian's position hasn't changed and they're still interested in making KotOR 3. Not new news but rather a recent reaffirmation of Obsidian's previously expressed position.

***Jeopardy theme continues in its infinite playback loop***

Actually, this looks like good news to me.

I realise Obsidian has said in the past that they'd do KotOR3, but to me that never sounded like more than willingness to do the project, or even that they'd just like the work.

But Feargus is not just anyone, and if he's actually pushing for KotOR3 actively, then at least we're not forgotten and Lucasarts is not allowed to simply forget about KotOR.

Also, if Obsidian is pushing for this, then it suggests to me that they actually do have some ideas of what should happen in K3, which could mean that there is indeed an outline for a K3 plot lying around that Obsidian is anxious to do. That would also be a good thing, I think, since that - if true - would me that a KotOR3 game will not get some rushed plot thrown onto it if and when it finally does come out.

Thanks for posting this, Cutmeister.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suppose another possibility is that K3 is in development with someone else, only LA won't tell Obsidian that, since it would reveal their plans.

But nah, that's a very remote possibility. I think Prime is more likely right about this, and this means we won't see K3 for years :(

But still, knowing that Obsidian is actively pushing for it to be made is good indeed. Even if LA won't budge, it somehow makes me feel better about K3 to know that Obsidian are so keen on doing it that they are actually pursuing the possibility. At least we're not forgotten by Obsidian, even if LA might have abandoned us...

It's just rumors, there has been nothing official as of yet. So you're just gonna have to wait until LucasArts themselves or a programming company announces it.
:confused: What are you talking about, Darca Lar? The only issue being discussed in the last 11 posts in this thread is the fact that Obsidian's CEO says they're still very much interested in making KotOR 3 and talks to LucasArts about it on occasion but he has no idea if Obsidian will ever get the chance to make KotOR 3. This not a rumor and nobody is claiming that KotOR 3 has been announced. :dozey:

I'm not saying that anyone's claiming anything, I'm only saying that there is a lot of stuff happening that we don't know about. And just because OE is in talks with LA doesn't necessarily mean that it's going to happen. An yes I think it will happen, but I'm not going to get carried away with all the thing's I read on the web.

And just because OE is in talks with LA doesn't necessarily mean that it's going to happen.
Prime already clarified this.

I wouldn't even go so far as to call it "talks." There appears to be no negotiation, just OE asking about it.
What it comes down to is that Obsidian isn't working on KotOR 3, based off what Obsidian's CEO has said. Some have chosen to interpret Obsidian's continued expression of interest in KotOR 3 as a good thing. As for myself it leaves me scratching my head, wondering what in the world LucasArts is doing with KotOR 3, if anything at all.

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=41584&view=findpost&p=763923

Two of the products that we are making right now use licenses and one is an original IP that we are creating. By next year, that ratio might be more like one licensed products and two original IP games. But, it wouldn't surprise me if that didn't bounce back the other way a year or two from after that.

Obsidian is currently working on three projects - two licensed titles (Aliens RPG with Sega, NWN2 Expansion Pack with Atari) and an original IP (with Sega).

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if anyone else heard but, I just finished listening to a pod-cast that had an interview with Steve Sansweet,(fan relations Guy at lucas film) and he said that Lucusarts will play a big part in the upcoming celebration 4 convention, and that they would be unvailing "2" new titles (not including force unleashed) as its a star wars convention I assume both games will be star wars titles.

http://www.theforce.net/topstory/story/ForceCast_April_27_2007_Special_Report_105366.asp

Well its news to me anyway :)

I don't know. KotOR seems like one of those things that "insiders" likely always have their eyes and ears open for. If Lucas Arts had even approached a developer about KotOR it seems to me that it would be all over the net in a matter of days. And something makes me doubt they would make an announcement/unveiling if they had't already brokered a deal for whatever those games are.

With all the next-gen consoles out now, I'm betting that the newest Star Wars games will be rehashes of the old, but utilizing new the new technology. Since all the most recent releases have been along the lines of Battleground, Lego, and EaW, we "need" an updated Rogue Squadron-type game.

Or maybe I'm just not trying to get my hopes up. ;)

LA: "Here are two new Star War games. They are [DELETED FOR TRADE REASONS] and [DELETED FOR TRADE REASONS] (Sorry for deleting their titles. We don't want people to steal our ideas, you know). Oh, and they will be released on [DELETED FOR TRADE REASONS] (Again, we don't want to have too much pressure).

Needless to say, they are Star Wars games and will be very unique and fun. So, want to pre-order them?"

*People line up*

Well new SW games are always fun. I am hoping for a new JK game. But im thinking its because its Darkside ending was a cliffhanger. Anyway both of Kotor's endings were left wideopen for a sequel so it may happen.

I just hope that if they do make a new KOTOR game they would make it so guns would be actualy USEFUll. Because I only used swords in Kotor since they were the most usefull weapons in the entire game.

I listened to the The Force-Cast podcast adamqd linked to and took the liberty to transcribe the relevant portions.

"We're going to have a big presence from LucasArts. And we'll have some, they'll be two game announcements plus we'll see some really cool stuff from The Force Unleashed which is the next-gen game that will be out next year and the historical look at Star Wars games from LucasArts so that's going to be great." -Steve Sansweet

Time mark 34:29-34:50

Two game announcements, eh? I agree that one would think both would be SW games since Celebration IV is a SW convention but who knows? We know there are two unannounced games in development with Day One Studios and Free Radical. Perhaps LucasArts will use Celebration IV to announce what those games actually are. Will any of those two game announcements be KotOR-related though? Enquiring minds want to know but I guess we'll just have to wait for another month. :D

There are a number of possibilities of games to come..(I hope one of them is Knights 3)

Such as:

Knights of the Old Republic 3

Republic Commando 2

Empire at Wars Expansion(another one)

Battlefront 3

Jedi Academy 2 (Dark Forces 5 or Jedi Knight 4 if you want)

Star Wars Galaxies Expansion(although they said they wouldn't make one this year)

With the approach of Celebration IV the KotOR rumours are really flying now. HEXUS.gaming cites an anonymous source that tells them LucasArts will announce KotOR 3 during Celebration IV and will also show a 1-minute trailer of the game. The HEXUS reporter does admit to being somewhat skeptical about the likelihood of this happening though.

Skeptical? Yeah, me too. I can hardly wait until the end of May to get the real scoop and put the rumors to rest for a while.

Archived