Home

More KOTOR III Possibilty News! (KOTOR MMO Confirmed?)

kookaburra

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to agree too. I just can't see Lucasarts handing the same license to two different developers simultaneously.

After tasting glorious success with the original KOTOR, it could be argued that Bioware had dropped the Ewok when they decided to offload development of the sequel to RPG pals Obsidian (Neverwinter Nights 2). Yet while Obsidian cynically decided to reuse, quite literally, half of the locations in the original without even being arsed to change a single texture, they also concocted a humdinger of a plot that truly forged new gaming ground when it came to issues of muddy morality - even if the ending was a convoluted mess. Interestingly, fans digging into the code have since discovered arguably more satisfying alternative, prolonged endings - presumably left out owing to time constraints.

ha...

Its good to see this in writing. I can remember clearly the absurdly large amount of recycled textures, models, and even entire worlds in the Sith Lords.

It was surreal (in a bad way) when I was greeted on the Telos docking bay by Davik Kang. My chosen character-player model was an obvious re-skin of a model that I used the first Knights game (the difference being that instead of a black buzz cut hairstyle, I had a blond buzz cut). Even with Dantooine and Korriban largely being ported, both worlds were smaller, and in my view were much less interesting than their original appearence. It felt to me like a sub-par player-made mod, or even a bad port.

I digress though...

ha...

It was surreal in a bad way, it felt to me like a player-made mod, or even a bad port.

Well thank you very much !

*dumps temple mod into trashcan*

:lol:

@Topic : I don't think LA or EA wants two competing games about SW out the same time or in a very small time frame next to eachother .

And I'm serious doubt who the devil would have worked on this K3 .

Cause if I'm correct Obsidian is working on that ALIENS RPG ? Or another expantion pack to NWN2 .

So far as I know, OE is working on Aliens and an another project that is unrelated to Star Wars, Aliens, and NWN.

Obsidian is working on an unannounced original action RPG (it's rumored to be CIA spy thriller) based on Unreal Engine 3 as well as Aliens RPG using their own technology; both with Sega.

*dozens of modders dump mods into trashcan* :lol:

@Quanon: Obsidian does indeed work on the Aliens RPG, but since the team at Obsidian has grown a lot since they began, it's safe to assume that not everyone is working on it. Another NWN2 expansion would be realistic, since MotB had success.

Woopsy Dasy , I not that uptodate with all the gaming news :)

Though I"ve been looking forward to this ALIEN RPG , I'd just love those critters , I even just recently replayed that old shooter AVP 2 , what a blast !

@Topic : As long LA or anyother company doesn't come forward with the news their doing K3 , I don't believe to much of all these news flashes and rumors .

If I have to , I'll make my own K3 :lol: ...

*Now where's that Falcon model interieur I was working + a dozen of new planets*

PS : The above was a blatant lie and rumor :lol:

LOL It's ironic to find information on an Aliens RPG on a Star Wars forum LOL

But in all seriousness, if an Aliens RPG is released on PS3 and we ALSO get a KOTOR III our lives will be over - cause I think most of us would be playing one, if not both, of those games ROFL...well, at least I would be playing both.

Hmmmmm - you guys just gave me an idea for a mod....

Has someone already found this?

Gamedreams has posted word that another installment of Knights of the Old Republic (in fact, KOTOR 3) is already in development

George and crew are most pleased with the initial performance of KOTOR, so pleased in fact that KOTOR 3 is well into development! This time however expect everything to be new and improved! An all new next-gen engine is being prepped as is a modified battle system that will place a heavier emphasis on the lightsaber. There are even whispers that the game may be shown in some form at E3 THIS year, though I’d expect it to be far from completion, perhaps nothing but a video!

We'll learn more about this at E3 I guess but for now take this with a grain of salt as nothing has been confirmed yet.

It sounds, so... fake, though.

Previously mentioned link:

That said, LucasArts say they’ve struck a deal with Bioware for the Canadian outfit to develop something for them, so whether LucasArts publish Bioware’s Star Wars game via EA or Activision in the UK, Bioware are definitely doing a Star Wars game… and we reckon that’s the long-awaited Star Wars MMO - which means when Obsidian’s KOTOR 3 comes out in 2009, it’ll be against Bioware’s totally online world when their MMO goes live around the same time.

Impossible; LA would never split itself to do 2 KotOR games within two consecutive years.

Ok look KOTOR3 will be made it was announced in 06. Trust me on this I

will try and find a link for proof as of now I forget where I saw it and must

find it agin be back soon.

Nothing of the sort has been made from Bioware, Obsidian, Lucasarts, or any other game designer. Pure rumors culled from google searches are not announcements.

Not to be mean, but that is counterintuitive.

Just out of curiosity, have you considered that if an announcement 'was made in 06', that posters here, now at the beginning of 2008, would have at least heard about it.

Possibly but it isnt unheard of

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-361276-look-what-i-found-about-kotor-3-just-speculation-for-now.html

Not sure if this is what I saw but where I saw it it was official.

Also to note with the large sucess of BOTH KOTOR 1 and 2 it is obvious that one will be made George isn't mean like that. But Bioware hinted it as a possibility on G4's X-Play. It will be a while though(possibly 2-3 years) due to the force unleashed. But Lucasarts is not one to just drop somthing that thay have made especially one that is so sucessful as the KOTOR series with this you must agree.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dowon

KotOR III rumor at Games Radar/Xbox World 360 Magazine

btw it does however take place in the KOTOR universe and time peorid. HOPEFULLY it will be for the 360 as I am tired of pieling up my computer with starwars games and using the ever so fusterating controls.

Like I said, I don't want to seem mean or condescending to you here.

But, given that the "announcement" was posted Aug 13th, 2005, at 07:18 PM, and it says, "...and new details are to be released soon", its safe to say that this was a hoax - an old one at that.

The poster provides no source for the information either. Thats a red flag. Pretty nice indicator too that a "leading Bioware representative" would misspell 'publicizing' (gee, a PR person getting that word wrong...) 'remodeling', and 'mammoth'. Bioware's announcements just would not be in a place like that.

A Bioware press representative leaking details about a future announcement would be highly unprofessional too - grounds for firing. Not to mention that Bioware has no press representatives. Announcements are made through Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka. The whole thing is transparently fake.

Its debunked here:

http://swforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=490651&forum=26

Yes I see that Bioware confurmed it a fake but I bet that it might actually being worked on as we speak. I mean look at Team Fortres 2 that 1 took 12 years you never know......

Bioware confirmed last March that they are not working on a third installment to the franchise.

That does not mean that they are not working on a game connected to the franchise, such as an MMO. That is yet to be seen though.

They are working with Lucasarts on something. That much is confirmed.

• 2 weeks later...

After reading several pieces of articles on the MMORPG, I personally draw the conclusion that BioWare is working on a "Star Wars: Gallaxies" upgrade. They are overhauling the whole damn thing.

When it comes to a "Knights of the Old Republic III", I don't see another Revan-Exile tale coming in the future. If I am following the direction of the comics and novels, I am betting on a "Knights of the Old Republic: Bane's Chronicles" type of RPG.

Who will work on the next "Knights of the Old Republic"? I am willing to predict it is BioWare. If I am reading between the lines correctly, Lucas Arts does not have any interest in a Obsidian developed game. I think LA wants a developer who can write thought provoking and entertaining storyarchs, and that does leave out Obsidian in this category. Just my opinion.

I think Revan's and Exile's version of "The Knights of the Old Republic" are over, and they are going to head off torwads Bane. If they make the switch over, I will be in line to buy a Darth Bane style story.

I don't think they will be making an anouncement about the next "Knights of the Old Republic" for some time. Since no one is working on the game, I personally don't believe we will see one for a good three to four years.

Who will work on the next "Knights of the Old Republic"? I am willing to predict it is BioWare. If I am reading between the lines correctly, Lucas Arts does not have any interest in a Obsidian developed game. I think LA wants a developer who can write thought provoking and entertaining storyarchs, and that does leave out Obsidian in this category. Just my opinion.

You basis for that prediction seems to be wholly based on opinion. If I recall correctly, Bioware opted out of doing the KotOR sequel, and Obsidian did a pretty damn good job at coming up with a decent followup game. I see Obsidian as the most likely developer when it comes to a potential KotOR III

After reading several pieces of articles on the MMORPG, I personally draw the conclusion that BioWare is working on a "Star Wars: Gallaxies" upgrade. They are overhauling the whole damn thing.

SOE has the rights to SWG. That can't happen.

You basis for that prediction seems to be wholly based on opinion. If I recall correctly, Bioware opted out of doing the KotOR sequel, and Obsidian did a pretty damn good job

Bioware suggested Obsidian to LA, as there were tied up with Jade Empire.

I disagree that TSL is a worthy Follow up to K1, I think Obsidian had good intentions, but, I think they wrote themselves into a corner, with Kreias obscure ramblings and there apparent lack of access to the original storyline, coupled with the lack of time needed to finish the game. I think it would be quite hard to follow TSL with a convincing story. I did like the game enhancements and the addition of some TOTJ Planets, but the story was too Dark and overly complicated for Star Wars.

the story is not too dark for star wars if irecall ep.III is ridiculously dark as is "Empire" ... they did an ok job telling a story .... my personal prediction is that bioware is coming out with a kotor MMo placed in the 5 year gap between 1 and 2 and then K3 will be released ... it makes perfect sense to me. but i could be wrong.

Archived