Home

More KOTOR III Possibilty News! (KOTOR MMO Confirmed?)

kookaburra

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SOE has the rights to SWG. That can't happen.

They do until 2009, anyway. It could be a re-amp, or at least planning for it, I suppose. Only time will tell.

If I am reading between the lines correctly, Lucas Arts does not have any interest in a Obsidian developed game.

What do you base that off of? I'm asking because I've seen it a lot, but the only evidence I see is it not doing another game with LA, but that could be for many reasons. I think you also have to take into consideration that Obsidian was fairly new at the time. I think, given the chance again, and maybe with some LA backed help of writers, they could make a great Kotor III. I wouldn't count them out yet...

Believe it or not I actually like SWG as it is. I would rather have classic servers like Everquest and make a KOTOR-like expansion pack. With new servers

But in reality another MMO doesn't sound as appealing as I thought it was. SWG was appealing but Kotor was very great. I would rather have a Mass Effect-like Kotor game

If the next KotOR game is an MMORPG...that creates alot of problems. For one, this creates an awkward scenario for finishing the storyline up, especially if this replaces KotOR III as an MMORPG. Another thing is, that makes the game instinctively for PC. PC users wont care but the people who avidly play KotOR on Xbox will. I know some of you couldn't give two s***s about Xbox owners, but listen. I've played both KotOR's on Xbox. I, as well as other Xbox 360 owners, will not want to be left in the dark to experiencing the next chapter because its a MMORPG for PC gamers. Plus, if there were to be an MMORPG port for the 360. It would not go over well. Look at FFXI online. Does anyone play that?

KotOR is known for story development and choices. If III were to be an MMO, we would get choices but not as much story development since MMO's concentrate on the actual online experience rather than anything else. If bioware is smart this won't happen if it is to be an MMO that is.

However, if the next chapter is infact KotOR III, the final epic *singleplayer* Star Wars fantasy that we ALL crave, then everything will be fine because we'll get what we want: the next chapter in KotOR that will tell us wtf happened after II. There's no rush for another SW MMO, but KotOR III has been due for its release for atleast a year now.

More rumors for a KotOR 3 and KotOR MMO from Xbox World 360, posted on CVG

Only one game you need to know about in K, and that's because it's the only one coming this year: Knights of the Old Republic 3. As we revealed last issue, well-placed sources are telling us Obsidian are handling development on the regular KOTOR, while Bioware take things online in a KOTOR MMO.
Not an official source or anything but I think this would be very cool if it turns out to be true.

More rumors for a KotOR 3 and KotOR MMO from Xbox World 360, posted on CVG Not an official source or anything but I think this would be very cool if it turns out to be true.

I'll take it like I took every rumor on this matter: with skepticism and realism. Anyway, what surprises me is that they aren't that enthusiastic about The Force Unleashed. Oh yeah, and they're also expecting Battlefront 3, for those who didn't went through the list.

<KotOR 3 rumor>

Oooh, another site that has unnamed yet trustworthy sources inside LucasArts/Obsidian that provides them with juicy gossip on K3 no one else can get? At this rate you'd think *all* the gaming sites out there have an inside man giving them similarly vague yet unquestionably accurate details.

Heh, doesn't look like anything has changed since last year. And the year before that. And even the year before that, too, to some extent. Were there many rumors going about in 2005? Doesn't look like they're going to abate any even after entering the fourth one of no news, though.

Oooh, another site that has unnamed yet trustworthy sources inside LucasArts/Obsidian that provides them with juicy gossip on K3 no one else can get? At this rate you'd think *all* the gaming sites out there have an inside man giving them similarly vague yet unquestionably accurate details.

How many people at LucasArts/Obsidian *aren't* linked to a gaming site these days? :p

I'll take it like I took every rumor on this matter: with skepticism and realism. Anyway, what surprises me is that they aren't that enthusiastic about The Force Unleashed. Oh yeah, and they're also expecting Battlefront 3, for those who didn't went through the list.
I think this rumor may have originated with the Games Radar article dowon posted about on p. 19, post #760 of this thread. So I guess the article I linked to on CVG is a list of Xbox World 360's predictions for games that will be released in 2008. With respect to Star Wars Battlefront 3, I was quite surprised to read Mr. Pellett's prediction that the game will be made by Pandemic Studios when most of the rumors I've seen about this game point to Free Radical making SW:BF3. Not sure how much research he put into that prediction but he didn't cite any unnamed "well-placed" sources for BF3 like he did for KotOR 3. :)

Sure, but I definitely think it was worth posting here. This is the "KotOR 3 possibility" thread after all though you may have noticed that I didn't post it on swk.com. ;) There are those of us who need something like this every once in a while to keep the KotOR 3 hope alive. :) A KotOR-based MMORPG is fine and all if that is in the works but even if that happens I still want SP KotOR 3.

• 3 weeks later...

Someone posted this on the IGN forums a few days ago. I thought it was interesting. We may found out if KOTOR III will be a MMO or not by the end of the month.

By following the link you can see Bioware Corp. Co-Founder Ray Muzyka is going to speak on the future of MMOs. What does he know about MMOs? Bioware's only experience is speculated development of a new MMO they are rumored to be creating.

We'll see either way at GDC '08...

What do you think?

http://www.cmpevents.com/GD08/a.asp?option=C&V=11&SessID=6540

http://www.n4g.com/industrynews/NewsCom-109475.aspx?CT=1

I will say that Cyrus365 at N4G.com didn't make the effort to do fact checking. I don't see how this individual considers BioWare's development of an MMORPG to be rumored or speculative at all. BioWare has announced they are making an MMORPG and there have been additional announcements from vendors that BioWare has licensed technology from. No speculation or rumors about that, period. The speculation is all about what IP the BioWare MMORPG will be based on, not whether or not BioWare is making an MMORPG.

Of course if Cyrus365 wants to question Ray Muzyka's MMORPG credentials for participating in this GDC panel then I can understand that. BioWare of course is still developing their first MMORPG and doesn't have any real skin in the game yet. Whatever. I look forward to reading about Mr. Muzyka's comments in this panel. He is usually a pretty insightful guy but I really don't expect we'll get any announcement out of GDC about what the BioWare MMORPG or the LucasArts/BioWare projects are.

http://kotaku.com/355808/bioware-at-work-on-a-new-kotor

pandemic.jpg

Wondering what that BioWare/Lucasarts project was going to be? Oh, come on. Like you couldn't guess. During EA's analyst report earlier today, it was revealed that in addition to working on more Mass Effect, Dragon Age and a "New MMO", BioWare are also handling a new Knights of the Old Republic title. Which means it's not their upcoming MMO. So, a new, straight-up RPG, then? Probably. Your excitement glands can't repel joy of this magnitude.

Bioware: +1

Search your feelings. You know it to be true.

Although, we probably won't get good confirmation until after the success of 'Unleashed' is weighed.

Force Unleashed, which is sure to kick ass, will probably determine what engine they'll use for the next KotOR.

I think by then, an upgrade will be welcomed.

I tried to verify this myself but the Feb 12 Electronic Arts Analyst Meeting - Morning Event webcast on EA's investor site doesn't appear to be working. The afternoon session does though. Things that make you go hmmm... :smirk2:

Makes me wonder if the slip was intentional or just an oversight. I will be quite pleased though if BioWare is indeed making an SPRPG KotOR 3.

I think this is what people have seen...

2322b183-2e52-427a-bff7-054a51.jpg

It is a slide from an EA Q+A, I just listened to 2+ hours of the thing, and the only mention of Bioware is that EA will be looking in to Taking over the RPG market in the next few years... but not this year or next maybe?

ae482263-d65c-4b9f-90d3-d3d4f1605cf.jpg

Well, reports from Eurogamer.net suggest that it's coming in April of next year, and they do point to it being "the new RPG that publisher boss John Riccitello promised in a recent financial call, and should apparently be out before April next year."

I'm guessing we'll see something on Lucasartsbioware.com, Bioware.com, and/or Lucasarts.com later this week or early next.

It's still a rumor.......a poster on IGN brought up a good point: He said that for Mercenaries it said Mercenaries 2, but for KOTOR it says just KOTOR......so it might just be an XBox Original download off the marketplace.

Yes, good point. But what I wonder: who would be the publisher of KotOR3? Lucasarts or EA? I'd prefer not having a EA label on my KotOR DVD-boxes... :)

Archived