Home

More KOTOR III Possibilty News! (KOTOR MMO Confirmed?)

kookaburra

That's a good point that I did not consider - this is an Obsidian PR person, not Lucas Arts. That being said, I'm sure there are legal issues associated with renewing and/or developing a contractual agreement or joint venture between the companies. Since the Obsidian rep is not saying anything, I'm sure he's restricted by a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) or possibly a Proprietary Information Agreement (PIA) that prohibits him from doing so. I work as a Contract Negotiator for a defense company so I know about these things.

Since he can't say anything, that means there is some type of protective agreement in place, but it doesn't mean that any work is actually being done. We put these agreements in place all the time for anticipated possible future sales, which sometimes do and sometimes do not actually lead to future business.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed, I would love nothing more than a K3, but I dont think a current gen game would stylistically be able to complete the trilogy. I personally think LA have left it too long, and the candle has burned out for them regarding KotOR

I have never heard of a gaming company hiring a person for public relations.
:eyepop Uh, this a common practice in the gaming industry as well as other segments of the entertainment business sector. For example, BioWare has Matt Atwood as their manager for public relations/marketing.

Agreed, I would love nothing more than a K3, but I dont think a current gen game would stylistically be able to complete the trilogy. I personally think LA have left it too long, and the candle has burned out for them regarding KotOR

I would not give up on the series yet. When games like KotOR take a hiatus, the publishers will allways find ways to reignite the fans. I cannot imagine them going back to the story started in KotOR II, but we will never really know until LucasArts makes a statement.

:eyepop Uh, this a common practice in the gaming industry as well as other segments of the entertainment business sector. For example, BioWare has Matt Atwood as their manager for public relations/marketing.

I wasn't sure if game companies actually had public relations officers. Form my experiences with other types of buisnesses, (newspapers, magazines, and government contractors), I understand how they structure a company. I guess it all comes down to live and learn.

Sharrak has the idea. ^-^

After waiting 10 years for blizzard to announce a sequel to one of (If not) the best RTS games of all time, I feel I could hold on for a few more waiting for a KotOR 3. Its not like it won't happen. Just won't happen as soon as we'd all like. Besides it sounds like Lucas, EA, and Bioware all have a lot of things cooking as it is. We can always hope one of them is our much anticipated KoTOR dream stew.

We should also keep in mind that LA, when deciding on the next big project to pursue, considered KotOR 3 before deciding on The Force Unleashed. KotOR fans would have probably preferred K3, but at least we know that they are still thinking about it even if it hasn't been their top priority. To me that means I still have hope it will be completed.

"Years away" doesn't have to mean "never", or "forever". It could be two to three years at most, possibly four if they need to start a new development team from scratch.

If you want to buy into a public relations officer's word, your statement would be very true. The only issue is that he used words, which are ment to keep speculation alive. In order to keep people intrested in Obsidian, they are using speculation as a tool for advertising. As you may allready know, Obsidian was not given any go ahead to produce "KotOR III". If we were told that "Obsidian is not working on KotOR III", people who like the KotOR series would be looking elsewhere.

Until you hear word from LucasArts themselves, you will only be following someone who is manipulating reality. That is his job.

No matter what I read, I can't help but think LA is making us fans speculate and build anticipation as they laugh at our ignorance.

Wishfull thinking, perhaps.

I really think they after Kotor 1 & 2, they wanted to take time to make the third installment really worthwhile.

I have a hunch I can't shake off, it's been too long for the third game.

When it comes to the comment made, I think it is very politcal in nature. Let me quickly explain: If Obsidian came out and said, "At the current moment, we do not have anything planned for "KotOR III". People may loss intrest in the company. Instead of answering the question dead on, the comment is made to create a sense of speculation that will keep you going to their site and such.

that is such a ridiculous and far reaching conclusion to leap to that it almost defies belief. That's pushing the flame-baiting--keep it civil. --Jae

for more logical conclusion would be that this PR dude's words in fact make it quite likely that OE have been slated to (or have begun even) working on KotOR III. the reason for this conclusion is quite simple - he stressed a couple of times that he can't talk about it. do you really think LA make developers sign ND's about games they are not working on? :D

if OE weren't at the very least in discussion about KotOR then i'd bet my bollocks the answer would've been more akin to what was flying around their forums 12 months ago - "we'd really like to, but it's not in the pipeline at the moment" (or words to that effect).

p.s. don't want to get anyone's hopes up, as this obviously a fair degree of speculation on my part, but sometimes, what isn't said is just as important as what is imo...

Ehm...the Source is actually pretty right here.

There are several IP's around here that, if your company is involved with it, will instantly boost your name. And with it, your shares and worth of the company.

As long as Obsidian is at least vaguely 'connected' with Kotor 3, all speculations will name their company. And there are many K3 rumors. And if the name 'Obsidian' is named in all those articles and rumors, there are many people who see the company name and associate it with 'good stuff' (Kotor) and buy their other games as well.

that completely ignores the fact that twelve months ago that is exactly what they were saying. no kotor news, nothing to see here, these aren't the droids you're looking for, move along.

and i'm not even going to get into the dubiousness of a company's viability/marketability being inextricably linked to a game they produced over five years ago - because your argument is just seven different shades of wrong...

2.Metal Gear Solid 4

MGS4 still hasn't been confirmed that it not coming out on xbox360 when ask on it they didn't reply i think that it will come out as did MGS2 not so sure about MGS3 any way back to the disscution next month lucas art have something big to annouce could this be KOTOR3?

I think MGS4 will be a Playstation only. It would be the first real system seller for Sony.That's why I am amazed with all the buzz around Killzone 2. The first one was...okay...but in no terms a genious game.

Anyways, at topic. :)

I'm amazed none of the consoles has tried to chain Kotor to be a system seller. Microsoft got a nice deal with Mass Effect allright, but still...if you'd change it to a Star Wars game, a whole other group of possible buyers would be interested. :)

While reading an interview from BioWare's Ray Muzyka yesterday at ign (http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/874/874472p1.html) I found this interesting quote.

"BioWare is a big company at this point with over 500 people now split across BioWare Edmonton and BioWare Austin and segmented into seven teams, according to Muzyka. The studio's unannounced titles include an MMO and a project tied with Lucasarts."

What I found most interesting that the MMO and Lucasarts project were separated. So I'm hoping that it is Kotor 3, I don't really see Bioware working on any other Lucas Arts project. While this confirms nothing, it is a spark of hope in the darkness.

What I found most interesting that the MMO and Lucasarts project were separated. So I'm hoping that it is Kotor 3, I don't really see Bioware working on any other Lucas Arts project. While this confirms nothing, it is a spark of hope in the darkness.
Hmmm... Looks like the 2008 February 15 statement from BioWare's community coordinator needs to be posted again in this thread.

I can say there is no KotOR3 from BioWare since there is no KotOR3 from BioWare. I can't comment on the MMO because there is going to be an MMO, I just can't talk about what it might or might not be.
Source: BioWare's BioBoards

Sorry to step on your hopes but I've never been one who felt it was healthy to shy away from the truth. :)

Well then, what that tells me is that the mmo is indeed a kotor game, firstly read the link ^ again and read between the lines it will sink in.

He's basically saying

"no, there is no kotor 3 in development, but we are working on an mmo"

hint, hint, if the mmo wasnt anything to do with kotor why mention it in the same sentence ? its like he wants us to know but isn't allowed to tell us.

He probably mentioned them in the same sentence since the question was no doubt "Is BioWare working on a KotOR III or a KotOR MMO?".

How come people still thinks that kotor is a MMO when bioware said that the MMO is a different project?

:giveup: I guess they assume that since no one at BioWare can talk about it (and therefore can't deny that it's a KotOR MMO), some assume that it has to be that. However, they have stated, more than once, that the MMO is not the LA/Bio project.

It's highly unlikely that LA and BioWare are working on two separate projects, so there's no way it's a KotOR MMO.

Well then, what that tells me is that the mmo is indeed a kotor game, firstly read the link ^ again and read between the lines it will sink in.

He's basically saying

"no, there is no kotor 3 in development, but we are working on an mmo"

hint, hint, if the mmo wasnt anything to do with kotor why mention it in the same sentence ? its like he wants us to know but isn't allowed to tell us.

If you're willing to spin Mr. Priestly's statement in whatever way fits your whim then there isn't much I can do about that. :indif:

If you want to understand the full context of the quote though then I recommend you read the thread I linked to up until Mr. Priestly's statement. It seems fairly plain to me that he is again confirming that BioWare is not making KotOR 3. I'm not sure how one can logically draw a conclusion that because BioWare is not making KotOR 3 then they must be making a KotOR MMORPG.

I mass-pruned about 4 pages of posts that were unrelated to Kotor 3. Discussions about whether TSL was a good game or had a good story belong in the TSL threads/forum. Arguments about whether Xbox or PS2/3 are better aren't relevant to this topic so those posts got deleted. Old rumors that were proven false I went ahead and deleted so they don't get rehashed as if they were true. Posts like 'great news!' and other 1 or 2 word posts were likewise deleted since they don't really contribute to the discussion.

Please help keep this thread on topic and relevant. Thanks!

Archived