Home

More KOTOR III Possibilty News! (KOTOR MMO Confirmed?)

kookaburra

aside from their first two games, Bioware's list of projects is nothing but RPGs and an MMO (which is a form of RPG). Are they breaking away from the RPG formula for this LA/Bio project, using another LucasArts IP for it, or simply placing a new SW RPG somewhere else in the timeline? frankly the utmost secrecy about this mystery project is suspicious in it's own right, and is highly unusual; a new IP would need time to become popular and gain interest, so an early announcement is a plus; a highly anticipated IP however, would cause undue pressure if the announcement were made too early (as happened with KotOR II).

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me set out my ideas better. We know Bioware is working on a Lucasarts project, it was confirmed in a press statement. Now Bioware have comfirmed several times that the Lucasarts project and the MMO are separated projects. What are the chances of Bioware working on a Lucasarts game other than Kotor? I know it is possible but relatively unlikely.

I also know that Chris Priestly has said that Bioware is not working on Kotor 3 in their forums, but if they were working on Kotor3 they wouldn't say so would they? Not until they have made an official announcement.

I would also like to make a final point, Bioware's moderators have been known to lie in their forums, or mislead the users. This is in no way an insult and I thank them for doing this, as they are in fact my favourite developers and have a great relationship with their community.

***********************************MASS EFFECT SPOILER****************************************

For example when the emergency transmission videos were shown, it shows Sovereign. Bioware flat out denied that Sovereign was a (you'd know if you'd finished yet). Now I'm glad they did this, but it shows that they are only willing to let the public know certain things.

********************************************************************************************

indeed. in order to maintain non-disclosure agreements, they sometimes have little choice but to lie outright. I recall Bungie studios mentioning that they weren't working on Halo 3 for at least a year after Halo 2 came out. Sometimes to keep the fans in line a few untruths must be told.

Let me set out my ideas better. We know Bioware is working on a Lucasarts project, it was confirmed in a press statement. Now Bioware have comfirmed several times that the Lucasarts project and the MMO are separated projects. What are the chances of Bioware working on a Lucasarts game other than Kotor? I know it is possible but relatively unlikely.

I also know that Chris Priestly has said that Bioware is not working on Kotor 3 in their forums, but if they were working on Kotor3 they wouldn't say so would they? Not until they have made an official announcement.

I would also like to make a final point, Bioware's moderators have been known to lie in their forums, or mislead the users.

Meh. I don't think Mr. Priestly is lying about BioWare not making KotOR 3. I still believe the LucasArts/BioWare project will turn out to be based on the Star Wars IP. But unless it's a KotOR MMORPG then right now the project doesn't seem to be related to KotOR. Time will tell I guess. :giveup:

But still...she has a point... :)

You don't give a sequel to Podracer to Bioware, nor a sportsgame. It must be something in the RPG area. Or at least something 'large' and 'hours of play.'

Even if you look at the Bioware sonic, it looks like a Bioware product and not like the race/hyperactive hedgehog actionplatformer it was.

Only time can tell, but there is at least a possibility that it's an RPG, since that's what Bioware is good at.

the sonic thing is actually an RPG...not sure how well that'll sit with the rest of the series, but it could be interesting...

and yeah, it's BioWare...anything that isn't an RPG is almost foreign territory for them nowadays...and i can't imagine Monkey Island, Sam & Max, Indy, or other LA IP being used for an RPG...

Doesn't mean it's KotOR related, though. But hey, even if it isn't, does anyone object to another Star Wars RPG made by BioWare? Hmm? ;)

If it's an RPG, that doesn't necessarily mean that it's Star Wars. LucasArts has tried some new things over the last few years (albeit maybe not that successful). I agree that it must be in the RPG area, however. That's BioWare's area of expertise.

Doesn't mean it's KotOR related, though. But hey, even if it isn't, does anyone object to another Star Wars RPG made by BioWare? Hmm? ;)

nope, lol; plenty of others would be sweet, like a Clone Wars RPG, or one set during the period between eps 3 and 4, or the Legacy era...or heck, the time of Darth Bane or even back before KotOR with Naga Sadow...

There is already fan speculation for this, Lord Foley :)

I read the 'Millennium Falcon' book preview, and it's last lines are:

By all indications, their quest should be safe, innocent: something to keep them interested and busy. But as they piece together the clues of the past, hints of a more profound mystery begin to reveal themselves, and a faceless threat lies in wait—one that has already launched a tentative assault not only on the Jedi Order, but on the Force itself.

Well...do you know any faceless (or masked) persons who target specific Jedi or the Force (hunger)? Also, in the Legacy comics there is understanding between the Vong and humans. Somekind of conflict could have brought them together.

Huge fanboy speculation/guess: could be the True Sith

Of course, chances are small. Although I would be amazed with a 'new Uberalien race that conquers all' trick over again. Even a race that has been out there waiting for thousands of years but at least excists in the SW canon. Also, it would give way for a Revan and Exile cameo (flashback).

Another excellent example, Ryuu.

Now with the Vector comics, it seems every Sith Lord can be brought to any era. So why not a massively frozen army? Seems rather cool...and it wouldn't be as cheesy as a 'Vong move' where an entire Uber-race is created just for the sake of it. :)

Now with the Vector comics, it seems every Sith Lord can be brought to any era. So why not a massively frozen army? Seems rather cool...

I don't know. In my opinion, it's best to leave the whole "time-travel" to a minimum. Let's hope it won't become a trend to have ancient Sith Lords unfreeze in the modern Star Wars Eras.

Yeah, but what's the other alternative?

I posted that preview line deliberately. Because there are two options:

A) A NEW enemy ( a lá Vong) is created who will (again) conquer all...

B) Something we know. Although cheesy perhaps, carbon frozen Sith Lords have at least some ty-in with the SW universe (Empire at war). And so have the True Sith (kotor 2).

So it basically comes down to this:

For a new game or novel, would you want an already excisting enemy who is somehow tied in, or a new Über enemy who sweeps down like Vong.

This goes for a possible Kotor 3 and the new books. :)

I'd prefer some consistency. No matter what. We got a reborn Emperor. Can it get more cheesy with a frozen army or an unfrozen Sith Lord?

Let's not use the Reborn Emperor as a standard, or as the absolute limit of cheesiness. :) The Vong didn't work, that much is certain, but that doesn't mean who should throw away the whole concept. But, the SW Galaxy still resolves mostly around the Jedi and Sith, so that's what has the best chance at success. But I think concepts like those introduced in Vector shouldn't be used that much. It may be cool if that happens once, but do it again, and people will be less enthusiastic. And Kotor2 showed, IMO, that the SW Universe can still tell immersive tales that aren't your normal SW stories.

So it basically comes down to this:

For a new game or novel, would you want an already excisting enemy who is somehow tied in, or a new Über enemy who sweeps down like Vong.

This goes for a possible Kotor 3 and the new books. :)

How about a new enemy who is, as well as his goal, actually original and/or unique? Kreia's character proves that it's possible even in such a same-archetypes-over-and-over-again kind of the universe as Star Wars.

I'd prefer some consistency. No matter what. We got a reborn Emperor. Can it get more cheesy with a frozen army or an unfrozen Sith Lord?

Intentionally downgrading the storyline to the level of cheesy/bad ideas from the past books/comics/games for the sake of consistency? Sorry but no.

Time travel would turn Star Wars into Star Trek W/ Jedi...the only time travel i've seen so far is Jacen Solo's flow-walking or whatever and it actually makes some level of sense...what did Vector do exactly?

The reborn Emperor actually makes sense within Star Wars. We have clones. We have Force ghosts. Why not Force ghosts inhabiting their own clone? It also fits with the Sith tendency to live as long as possible through whatever means. The Sith have always had an infatuation with the concept of immortality.

Vector hasn't 'done' anything?

I think letting a Sith Lord survive for 4000 years to stalk Darth Vader and Luke around is something. And something about a Sith talisman that has an evil Sith spirit inside it is something new as well....

I'm a big big fan of vector Ztalker, I'm just pointing out that it ain't even half way through yet and people are already saying "been there done that" I'm just saying theres a lot of story to go yet, not that nothing has happened, it was a reply to Jcarter (BTW celeste isnt a sith ;))

touché....:)

But still..you have to say...a Jedi, turned 'evil' by the Sith Artifact (which houses an evil Sith spirit) she wears around her neck is something...

D'oh...while typing, one thing just entered my mind: The One Ring...

From that point of view...it's not 'zomg never seen that' either. It's just the combination of things that trigger my enthousiasm then. :)

------------

Aaaanyways...I think it's time for me to get back at topic.

A little thing I noticed:

I'm a Power Unlimited member (an Dutch gaming magazine). They recently visited EA for some previews, (Red Alert 3, iirc) and the journalist said he saw another 'secret' game behind closed doors. He also mentioned it would probably cost him a frontpage- and main review of 20 pages to see it, but he did nevertheless (after much nagging and puppy eyes, as he says so himself).

Furthermore, he also mentions he had some nice interviews with Bioware personel, establishing they were there as well.

It's small, very small....but if you combine the two things...him saying he can't say anything about it looks like a non-disclosure contract. And (having the old EA chart in mind) there are only a few possibilities for which title this could be ...or it's a new IP.

Small, but nevertheless Interesting...I'll keep you guys updated if he mentions anything more on his weblog.

(Just a little note; this is a reknown magazine, known for it's quality. They were present at the MGS:4 bootcamp, for example, where supposedly only the elite of the industry got to play the game)

...even half way through yet and people are already saying "been there done that" I'm just saying theres a lot of story to go yet, not that nothing has happened, it was a reply to Jcarter (BTW celeste isnt a sith ;))

Didn't mean it to sound like that; I'm just saying they haven't done anything crazy that hasn't been done before.

I think letting a Sith Lord survive for 4000 years to stalk Darth Vader and Luke around is something.

As stated before, Celeste isn't a Sith Lord. :xp: Also, the artifact didn't turn her evil. And ever heard of Arden Lyn?

And something about a Sith talisman that has an evil Sith spirit inside it is something new as well....

Nope, I can name a half dozen instances of this, most of which are from the Tales of the Jedi comics.

But back to K3...

And (having the old EA chart in mind) there are only a few possibilities for which title this could be ...or it's a new IP.

That old EA chart doesn't mean anything. They've already said it referenced past games. Unless they're flat-out lying, it doesn't mean anything.

Archived