Home

More KOTOR III Possibilty News! (KOTOR MMO Confirmed?)

kookaburra

BTW: Neither flow walking or cryo/sith alchemy stasis is really time travel in the trek or H. G Wells sense is it?

thankfully, no, which is why they fit. XD Part of what keeps up the Star Wars mystique is the fact that they don't go all technical with the quantum mechanics and such, lol.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^

Agreed, I personally don't think there that bad, I actually like the way that Jacen got to see the pre-Empire Jedi, he needed to see why his grandfather fell, to justify his own path. there not stylistically quite Star Wars, but people haven't got a problem with super advanced technology that looks ancient... in the past, or the Force or plasma swords, but "time travel" (In its loosest term) is strictly no go! lol

^^

Agreed, I personally don't think there that bad, I actually like the way that Jacen got to see the pre-Empire Jedi, he needed to see why his grandfather fell, to justify his own path. there not stylistically quite Star Wars, but people haven't got a problem with super advanced technology that looks ancient... in the past, or the Force or plasma swords, but "time travel" (In its loosest term) is strictly no go! lol

I didn't really like Jacen's flow-walking, but I didn't hate it. As long as that's the limit and no real time travel, I'm happy.

@RyuuKage: I completely agree with that (and that's why I never bother trying to get into Star Trek, well aside from the talking turds and the space-hippies... weird!).

yeah I thought the flow-walking was a little weird, but so far as i know it seems bound strictly in the sense that historical events (and future ones) can be experienced, and can be "changed" (like how Jacen keeps taking Tahiri back so she can meet with Anakin) without actually changing the real events (a sort of Force illusion, if you will).

Sheez,i lurked these forums since kotor II never bothered to post anything,just wanted to know if there was any news on kotor III...When I saw this i shed a tear, i really did lol :lol: anyway, don't know why no one else posted this already : http://kotaku.com/5013769/rumor-lucasarts-sackings-to-impact-upcoming-projects-incl-kotor-3-indy-wii-lightsaber-game

read the article..its a glimer of hope. I won't spoil:) it for anyone, read it everyone

A glimmer of hope, given by a freshly-sacked employee of LucasArts, who's still in that stage where he curses everything that is LA, like how he completely thrashes Fracture. An official statement by either LA or BioWare is the only valid source for me.

I am going to place something on the table, which hopefully clears some stuff up about BioWare's upcoming MMORPG.

#1 - If you look at BioWare's original announcement for the MMORPG, you will see something very, very, very important. Since some people do not see it, I will spell it out for you.

http://www.bioware.com/bioware_info/press_releases/2006_03_15_Austin/

BioWare Corp. Announces New "BioWare Austin" Studio

New Studio Recruiting for Massively Multiplayer Online RPG Project

EDMONTON, Alberta, Canada, March 13, 2006

Canadian videogame developer BioWare Corp. has announced the opening of a new studio, BioWare Austin, based in Austin, Texas. It is the second of BioWare's studios and the first to be located outside of Canada.

BioWare Austin has already begun work on a Massively Multiplayer Online roleplaying game (MMORPG) title; the new game will mark BioWare's debut in the Massively Multiplayer Online space. BioWare has recruited some of the top talent in MMO and RPG development, both to manage the development efforts at BioWare Austin and to collaborate with the experienced team at BioWare Edmonton, to develop a game that combines the best of BioWare's great past games with a compelling persistent online experience. Joining the Austin team as lead designer is James Ohlen, BioWare's Creative Director, whose previous credits include lead or co-lead design roles on Star Wars®: Knights of the Old Republic™, Neverwinter Nights™, Baldur's Gate™ and Baldur's Gate II™. Also leading the BWA team are MMO veterans Richard Vogel and Gordon Walton. Richard Vogel brings 15 years of experience to BioWare Austin, previously serving as VP of Product Development for Sony Online Entertainment's Austin studio, as well as launching Ultima Online™ as a senior producer at Origin. Gordon Walton recently served as VP, studio manager and executive producer at Sony Online Entertainment as well as VP and Executive Producer at Electronic Arts....

#2 - If you look at BioWare's announcement for working with Lucas Arts, you will see another interesting problem in people's thinking.

http://www.lucasartsbioware.com/

SAN FRANCISCO, CA and EDMONTON, CANADA — October 30, 2007 — LucasArts and BioWare today announced that they have entered into an agreement to create an interactive entertainment product. The product, details of which will be unveiled at a later date, will be developed and published by BioWare and LucasArts, and will push the boundaries of the gaming market by utilizing the strengths of both companies to deliver an innovative, high-quality experience.

“LucasArts has a deep commitment to developing compelling stories and characters for the unique medium of interactive entertainment, and we have been searching for a developer that shares this value. We found this in BioWare,” said Jim Ward, president of LucasArts. “Through our previous collaborations, we know that BioWare has an impressive ability to blend gripping stories with technological advancements, and we believe that our upcoming product will deliver an experience that will span the traditional boundaries of video game entertainment.”

How can BioWare's upcoming MMORPG be a "KotOR" sequel? It cannot be. If I had to make a guess, the upcoming "KotOR III" will be similar in style to the first two. Look at the dates posted on both announcements. LucasArts entered into an agreement with BioWare a whole year after BioWare made the MMORPG announcement. Unless BioWare can forsee into the future, it would be theoretically impossible for the upcoming MMORPG to be "KotOR III".

I do have to trackdown another press release, which states that Lucas Arts wants a reboot of the Star Wars Gallaxies franchise. However, we haven't heard anything solid about the reboot.

That's what I've said before, just because they chose to announce it that day, doesn't mean they hadn't made any agreements months before. ;)

Lol... When I was looking at the press releases over at BioWare, they were listed as two different games in production. I would think that BioWare would have linked the two together, but they could have reasons not to do so. I guess we will have to wait and see. :D

I dunno what to say about Kotaku, they are normally pretty spot on, but this week they failed at both a Blu-Ray Xbox rumor and the Lucas Arts halting all internal development rumor. Be it that they did say that the xbox rumor was just that, while the other stuff was supposedly leaked. Honestly, Kotaku has more integrity than many of the larger sites.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't see the connection. So EA is funding the MMORPG development at the BioWare Austin studio. What is so surprising about that? After all, EA is the publisher that owns BioWare now so it's only reasonable to expect EA is funding all of BioWare's projects. I think I need to see the whole quote from Mr. Riccitiello on this to understand how TVG makes a connection between what Mr. Riccitiello said and the LucasArts/BioWare project because it's not clear to me.

i've gotta go with source on this one. huge difference in announcement dates coupled with the separate listings on Bioware's site seems to make it pretty clear that the two projects are unrelated...not to mention that a kotor mmo makes no sense at this stage of the franchise's existence.

...not to mention that a kotor mmo makes no sense at this stage of the franchise's existence.

Actually, it does make sense. They bring in huge sums of money from the monthly fees. You can't say it doesn't make sense when you don't even know the result yet.

Actually, it does make sense. They bring in huge sums of money from the monthly fees. You can't say it doesn't make sense when you don't even know the result yet.

I don’t think he was referring to the money aspect. I believe he was referring to the consistency in feel and game play. I agree with him. “KotOR I” and “KotOR II” were designed to give the player character a certain importance. Once you open the game to include a massive audience during gameplay, you will have everyone running around saying, “No! I am Revan!”.

I don’t think he was referring to the money aspect. I believe he was referring to the consistency in feel and game play.

Ah, gotcha.

I agree with him. “KotOR I” and “KotOR II” were designed to give the player character a certain importance. Once you open the game to include a massive audience during gameplay, you will have everyone running around saying, “No! I am Revan!”.

I played Galaxies for a short while before I realized that I had bought the game when it was after its "golden" times (bought it recently). Don't people kinda do the same thing there? Everyone saying, "I'm Luke Skywalker!", or something? I never really noticed since I played it for such a short time.

Ah, gotcha.

I played Galaxies for a short while before I realized that I had bought the game when it was after its "golden" times (bought it recently). Don't people kinda do the same thing there? Everyone saying, "I'm Luke Skywalker!", or something? I never really noticed since I played it for such a short time.

I believe on some level people do think that way. "KotOR" was designed to specifically give the player a sence of importance. When you play with hundreds of Exiles or Revans, you loose that feeling of "I'm the savior of the gallaxy." Knowing that others are in game with you takes away from "this is my story" thinking.

I believe on some level people do think that way. "KotOR" was designed to specifically give the player a sence of importance. When you play with hundreds of Exiles or Revans, you loose that feeling of "I'm the savior of the gallaxy." Knowing that others are in game with you takes away from "this is my story" thinking.

Hundreds? You mean hundreds of thousands? :lol:

I don't mind other people being in the game with me, as long as I'm the savior. I suppose most people wouldn't like it though if someone else gets all the attention.

They're just in it to make money anyway, so whether there are thousands of Revans and Exiles, or just one, they're focusing on bringing in the $.

Hundreds? You mean hundreds of thousands? :lol:

I don't mind other people being in the game with me, as long as I'm the savior. I suppose most people wouldn't like it though if someone else gets all the attention.

They're just in it to make money anyway, so whether there are thousands of Revans and Exiles, or just one, they're focusing on bringing in the $.

Yeah. When it comes to producing almost everything, making money is the ultimate goal.

I though only four people played "Star Wars: Gallaxies". :D

Archived