Home

More KOTOR III Possibilty News! (KOTOR MMO Confirmed?)

kookaburra

I laughed so loudly when I read about them removing the KO and being called "The Old Republic". My take on this, because of all the stubborn people that fails to see that the MMO would not technically be KotOR III. Many, many people have complained saying the words "ohh noez LA donts make kotor 3 an mmo". Well, maybe their response is to change the name to please those people, but in fact it is still KOTOR.

I mean, we've been presented with the timeline, 3500 years before ANH. We know that Jedi were in existence then, so they can't really make the game without any.

I don't think that any developer of this MMO would be stupid enough to follow the likes of SWG, does anyone really believe they will screw it up, if given the time to develop it properly?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean, we've been presented with the timeline, 3500 years before ANH. We know that Jedi were in existence then, so they can't really make the game without any.

Well, they could, but it would piss a lot of people off. I don't think they would have any intentions of making it without Jedi. The real problem is limiting the numbers so the environment feels realistically like Star Wars. 90% of the players being Jedi isn't realistic. But there's also the problem of, "Who gets to be a Jedi?", "What are the requirements to be a Jedi?", and so on. I played Galaxies after all the things that made it "bad", so I can't make a full comparison on that. Perhaps a Galaxies veteran can comment about it.

I don't think that any developer of this MMO would be stupid enough to follow the likes of SWG, does anyone really believe they will screw it up, if given the time to develop it properly?

Assuming it's BioWare, that alone would probably make people believe they won't screw it up. Any good developer looks at the competition to see why they're doing so good (or in this case, with Galaxies, why it was so bad). Does that mean stealing ideas? No, but knowing what works and what doesn't can improve game quality.

I played Galaxies after all the things that made it "bad", so I can't make a full comparison on that. Perhaps a Galaxies veteran can comment about it.

Before the New Game Enhancement (NGE) there was a great system to becoming a Jedi. Without going into a lot of detail that nobody will understand (unless you played pre-NGE), you had to basically play the game for an extremely long time and do lots and lots of tedious things in order to become a Jedi. Also, if you were a Jedi and used any force powers, or in any way showed that you were a Jedi around a Bounty Hunter you automatically got a bounty on your head and could be hunted by any Bounty Hunter.

In other words the class was extremely fun and rewarding, but a very hard class.

Before the New Game Enhancement (NGE) there was a great system to becoming a Jedi. Without going into a lot of detail that nobody will understand (unless you played pre-NGE), you had to basically play the game for an extremely long time and do lots and lots of tedious things in order to become a Jedi. Also, if you were a Jedi and used any force powers, or in any way showed that you were a Jedi around a Bounty Hunter you automatically got a bounty on your head and could be hunted by any Bounty Hunter.

In other words the class was extremely fun and rewarding, but a very hard class.

Yes, that was a good system. But, that won't work for the KotOR MMO, should it be made. I mean people are forgetting, Jedi are trained from a very early age, so that isn't very realistic in the SW universe. A more suitable way for them to do it would be to make Jedi a startable class, but they have to go through lots of training, they wouldn't gain a lightsaber until a certain amount of time (like in SW reality), force powers would be limited until learning more in training etc... That would balance things more as well, and as long as they don't make the Jedi invincible, and give all classes a fair chance, then there really shouldn't be any problems, IMHO.

Yes, that was a good system. But, that won't work for the KotOR MMO, should it be made. I mean people are forgetting, Jedi are trained from a very early age, so that isn't very realistic in the SW universe. A more suitable way for them to do it would be to make Jedi a startable class, but they have to go through lots of training, they wouldn't gain a lightsaber until a certain amount of time (like in SW reality), force powers would be limited until learning more in training etc... That would balance things more as well, and as long as they don't make the Jedi invincible, and give all classes a fair chance, then there really shouldn't be any problems, IMHO.

and unlike the GCW, jedi would be common enough in 3500 BBY

and unlike the GCW, jedi would be common enough in 3500 BBY

As common as Jedi may be in that time period, that doesn't excuse 90% of total players to be Jedi.

That doesn't adequately solve the Jedi numbers problem (since you don't have to do ANYTHING to gain the class), it just makes their development from the get-go harder. We'd end up having thousands of Padawans instead of Masters. Even if everything was balanced and all, if Jedi is available from the very beginning to anyone, you can safely assume that at a minimum, over half the players on any given server would be Jedi. Not Star Wars.

Now, if they made it EXTREMELY hard, to the point that only a very dedicated MMORPG player would take the time do to the training to make it worthwhile, would making Jedi available from the beginning be acceptable.

As common as Jedi may be in that time period, that doesn't excuse 90% of total players to be Jedi.

Are you a time traveler? Or able to see the future?

The game hasn't even been made, what you describe is the current state of SWG, if KotOR Online is made in a completely different way (unkown now obviously), 90% might not be the population of Jedi.

That doesn't adequately solve the Jedi numbers problem (since you don't have to do ANYTHING to gain the class), it just makes their development from the get-go harder. We'd end up having thousands of Padawans instead of Masters. Even if everything was balanced and all, if Jedi is available from the very beginning to anyone, you can safely assume that at a minimum, over half the players on any given server would be Jedi. Not Star Wars.

Now, if they made it EXTREMELY hard, to the point that only a very dedicated MMORPG player would take the time do to the training to make it worthwhile, would making Jedi available from the beginning be acceptable.

Valid points. But the way I intended it to be was, a player chooses to start as Jedi, but until you reach a certain level out of (e.g. 100), you character is played as a different class (e.g. Swordsman). Upon reaching the required level (e.g. 50) you then trigger some sort of evet where you find out you are force sensitive, similar to the amnesia storyline of Revan, but not amnesia.

If the maximum level is 100, and the required level to find out about force sensitivity is half of that, that leads me to believe that quite allot of the population that want to be Jedi straight away and get really uber cool force powers will not want to wait that long, only players dedicated to getting there will do it.

The reason why I say this, is because I have played numerous MMO's, and if you want something but not so much that you have to level 50 levels to get there, you won't do it, which will ultimately, reduce Jedi numbers.

Another on the spot idea, would be to just cap the servers for how many Jedi. But as I said, that's on the spot, with more time and thought, better ideas could be created.

A good solution would be not to make an MMO at all and just have an SPRPGK3, but, we'll see.

the points made about Jedi in an MMO are actually pretty much in place in SWG, the only problem is, as said, is there is the possibility of 90% Jedi per server (although not the case)

For the record, force sensitive Chars in SWG do not receive a lightsaber till level 32 (of 90) and do not even have the word Jedi in there title or bio until the "Jedi Apprentice" Title is awarded at level 66, and are far from invincible, I struggle to stand against a Bounty Hunter or Commando of same level with my Char.

Are you a time traveler? Or able to see the future?

The game hasn't even been made, what you describe is the current state of SWG, if KotOR Online is made in a completely different way (unkown now obviously), 90% might not be the population of Jedi.

Which is what we want (90% of pop. NOT being Jedi, or similar numbers), and which is why I described it that way.

Valid points. But the way I intended it to be was, a player chooses to start as Jedi, but until you reach a certain level out of (e.g. 100), you character is played as a different class (e.g. Swordsman). Upon reaching the required level (e.g. 50) you then trigger some sort of evet where you find out you are force sensitive, similar to the amnesia storyline of Revan, but not amnesia.

If the maximum level is 100, and the required level to find out about force sensitivity is half of that, that leads me to believe that quite allot of the population that want to be Jedi straight away and get really uber cool force powers will not want to wait that long, only players dedicated to getting there will do it.

I like this idea. This would indeed discourage people from playing as Jedi right away, thus limiting numbers to a more realistic feel. I also do believe, however, that the actual training and leveling parts (once found to be force sensitive), should be tougher than other classes, to further reduce the numbers a tad. Obviously the life of a Jedi is tough, so the leveling/training system should reflect that somehow, in my opinion.

The reason why I say this, is because I have played numerous MMO's, and if you want something but not so much that you have to level 50 levels to get there, you won't do it, which will ultimately, reduce Jedi numbers.

Definately, which would really only encourage the dedicated MMO-er into being a Jedi right away.

Another on the spot idea, would be to just cap the servers for how many Jedi. But as I said, that's on the spot, with more time and thought, better ideas could be created.

Yeah, that definately could be elaborated on later during development if decided to be implemented. I get the feeling though that once the max limit is hit, there would be a flood of continual complaints about players wanting to be Jedi, only to realize they can't. Perhaps the cap limit is a percentage of the total server players? That way, as long as people continually join, more Jedi "slots" are available. Although I suppose that depends a bit on how many people the server can hold total as well.

I like this idea. This would indeed discourage people from playing as Jedi right away, thus limiting numbers to a more realistic feel. I also do believe, however, that the actual training and leveling parts (once found to be force sensitive), should be tougher than other classes, to further reduce the numbers a tad. Obviously the life of a Jedi is tough, so the leveling/training system should reflect that somehow, in my opinion.

Definately, which would really only encourage the dedicated MMO-er into being a Jedi right away.[/Quote]

Yes, with your added points would improve it more. I thought up this idea quite quickly, only now, I can see it's pretty good idea.

Yeah, that definately could be elaborated on later during development if decided to be implemented. I get the feeling though that once the max limit is hit, there would be a flood of continual complaints about players wanting to be Jedi, only to realize they can't. Perhaps the cap limit is a percentage of the total server players? That way, as long as people continually join, more Jedi "slots" are available. Although I suppose that depends a bit on how many people the server can hold total as well.

That's a really good way of going about the Jedi cap idea, with a bit of thinking the idea was improved greatly.

So, as I've said allot of times, if done right, we could get an amazing game. I hope allot more people will become more open minded about it.

Yeah, these ideas always sound so cool when you think about them being in the game...but I've personally never seen a person's suggested ideas be implemented into a major game such as this. At least not openly where that person can happily admit a feature they suggested was used by a major video game developer.

Oh yeah, definately there won't be a repeat performance of SWG, that's for sure. Even more for sure if it's BioWare. All this speculative talk is making me crave for the game now. All the evidence/rumors are just yelling "STAR WARS MMO"...I personally would be very surprised if the project isn't Star Wars related at all.

Oh yeah, definately there won't be a repeat performance of SWG, that's for sure. Even more for sure if it's BioWare. All this speculative talk is making me crave for the game now. All the evidence/rumors are just yelling "STAR WARS MMO"...

I know, the more I talk about it the more I want it.

I personally would be very surprised if the project isn't Star Wars related at all.

Me to, but I highly doubt it isn't, there isn't much else for LA to be involved with.

Yeah I heard about this debut, something may be announced regarding the KotOR MMO, though it's slim. But AFAIK the only game that Bioware are working on that haven't announced the details of is their MMO and some "interactive" project, which is rumored to be the same thing...

Average KotOR fan reasoning yells "STAR WARS MMO". I really pray that it is, but I get the feeling we'll be disappointed.

I did post this in another thread, but BioWare is supposed to be making a "Game Debut" this Thursday at E3. What speculative titles haven't they debuted already?
This will reveal more of BioWare's Dragon Age: Orgins. The only question is just how much of the game will BioWare allow people to see at this event.

Yeah I heard about this debut, something may be announced regarding the KotOR MMO, though it's slim. But AFAIK the only game that Bioware are working on that haven't announced the details of is their MMO and some "interactive" project, which is rumored to be the same thing...
BioWare does have an unnamed next gen game (not Mass Effect 2) in addition to their unnamed MMORPG and the LucasArts/BioWare project. Of course there is the debate about whether or not the LA/Bio project and the MMORPG are one and the same but as of now they're listed as separate projects on BioWare's website.

No KotOR 3 in sight, as far as I can tell. *sigh* :(

This will reveal more of BioWare's Dragon Age: Orgins. The only question is just how much of the game will BioWare allow people to see at this event.

Hmm, I'm not so sure, Bioware know that more hype has been generated over their other two? games. Also details of Dragon Age have already been announced, so it's not entirely a game debut...

BioWare does have an unnamed next gen game (not Mass Effect 2) in addition to their unnamed MMORPG and the LucasArts/BioWare project. Of course there is the debate about whether or not the LA/Bio project and the MMORPG are one and the same but as of now they're listed as separate projects on BioWare's website.

No KotOR 3 in sight, as far as I can tell. *sigh* :(

Actually, even if they are separate projects, that would actually improve the chances of K3 or/and the KotOR MMO.

the LA/Bio and MMO are DIFFERENT. that doesn't mean the LA/Bio can't be an MMO, but it also means the likelihood is probably less. MMOs are very different from RPGs, and it would be unwise to develop two games in a genre that's new to the company, even if it is Bioware.

Source

An interview with John Riccitiello, chief executive at EA games, has just confirmed the long-rumoured KotOR MMORPG.

N. Evan Van Zelfden in Los Angeles warns, watch out World of Warcraft. In an interview at E3 this week, Electronic Arts chief executive John Riccitiello said that EA is working on the next version of Star Wars game Knights of the Old Republic, and it will most certainly have a massively multiplayer online component to it... Does Riccitiello mean the oft rumored Knights of the Old Republic Online? "Yes," he said.

Good or bad news, would you say?

Archived