Home

More KOTOR III Possibilty News! (KOTOR MMO Confirmed?)

kookaburra

Well, since EA described it as having an MMO component, there still remains the possibility that it may have an SP component as well.

*Keeps fingers crossed*

It must have, MMORPG are just a bunch of graphics without a plot whatsoever. If it's just nearly similar to Neverwinter Nights )i.e. a single player campaign and a multiplayer component where to import your character), it can be acceptable. BUT a total MMORPG just kills the Kotor brand, since it's mainly based on a definite plot. Let's just hope they don't make deadly mistakes...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Based on the recent news about newly registered Lucasfilm trademarks though I don't think this MMORPG is going to be positioned as Knights of the Old Republic.

True, but when the 'press release' (if it can be called such) acutually mentions KOTOR and MMO, it looks like it's certainly a direction they're at least considering in heading.

First of all the rumour may not even be true and second of all you people complaining that it will ruin KoToR have not played this unannounced game nor do you know anything about the game yet. [/Quote]

No, it's true we haven't played this game. But we have played the preceding two (assuming it will carry on the KOTOR franchise). Frankly, it's not KOTOR if it's an MMO. It's Star Wars: Grind of the Old Republic. And we may not know enough of this game, but we know enough of MMOs and EA's business practices to tell this could be a dark day for the franchise.

Hold your opinions until you actually have something to base it on. The game for all you know could turn out to be all you could have hoped for.[/Quote]

If it's an exlusively online game, then not only is it unfaithful to the core fanbase of the games, it's also not what a lot of people have hoped for.

I'd been hoping for an exclusively single-player dialogue-driven game developed by Obsidian. With the story written by Chris Avellone.

Same here, but I never seriously expected LA to use Obsidian again after the "failure" of KotOR2, which they blamed on Obsidian.

No I have read the thread, K3 hasn't been developed... yet, and a MMO is NOT (cannot be) K3 so both of our hopes could yet still be dashed. that is unless Lucasarts have said it's either SW: tOR or KotOR 3 not both, I'm sure we'll find out one day

edit: I didn't say he was a bad writer, I just dont think he wrote star wars with TSL, it was something different, which I didn't happen to like... I'll read and criticize what i want ED

something i noticed on gamespot...

last name they had the game titled "The Old Republic"...today it is titled "Star Wars MMORPG"...

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/starwarstheoldrepublic/index.html

Yes, and below the title it reads: "BioWare is developing a massively multiplayer game set in the same universe as its award-winning Star Wars RPG."

EDIT:

Ohh and in response to this:

It's Star Wars: Grind of the Old Republic

I have never once grinded in WoW, SWG, Perfect Wrold, 9 Dragons or Arch Lord. Some quests in MMOs require you to kill X amount of something, which is grinding, but other quests like, "hunt down and kill so and so", I wouldn't call grinding, hell, that's what you do in a single player games, hunt down and kill people...

Unfortunately, I am wrong. Read the rest of the thread. K3 is not being developed by Obsidian, much less by Avellone.

Also, read every page of this and play Planescape: Torment if you intend to criticize his writing again.

Simply so Ed doesn't know what I'm talking about again and is forced to continue his RPG education (as drawn up by the Department for Work, Skills, and Fun): Play through New Reno in Fallout 2. Sure it's a bit out of synch with the rest of the game but by God is it not one of the best sequences in Fallout 2?

I'll quote myself as to why MCA demands your respekt:

Avellone's talent as an RPG designer-writer lies in his dialogues. A dialogue is not simply the file type in Torment (and, to a lesser degree, in TSL) but a concept central to design. Dialogues are dialogues, not Karpyshyn monologues. When you speak to a character written by MCA you feel as though you are engaged in a conversation. The NPC will challenge the player's opinions, turn the tables around and start asking you questions, player responses will not simply be hyperlinks to information but realistic, actual replies (KotOR's "Describe your job and who you work for" springs to mind as the polar opposite of this). The exchange of information is often two-way. You rapidly become entangled in the discussion and find yourself acting out a play, film, or book and not just an RPG. And I believe that is the greatest compliment you can give Avellone's writing: even though it involves player choice and selection of different options will lead to changes in the direction of the conversation, it feels like a well-written play (a medium in which the responses of the player and the NPC are set in stone and can be tweaked to perfection).

Not every single one of his characters has this quality but the number that do is large enough to warrant fanboyism of the highest degree :xp:. It's actually something that Ziets does, too. Though he seems to rely more on having many characters engaged in a conversation rather than straight, one on one, dialogue. And that's a strength of MCA's; which other writer would have the guts to carry the end of a game's first act with a sprawling dialogue? Just two people talking, no action, no nothing. Just WORDS. Oh, and I'm talking about Atris there, not Ravel because the player hacks her to bits afterwards, cheering up the people put to sleep by t3h text. Atris was a pretty bold move... one that paid off in my eyes.

"Quote from Ellorien: The incarnation Deionarra loved was very ugly on the inside. It was said that TNO attracted tormented souls (or something to that effect, I don't remember) but the only thing that was tormenting her was her own foolish love."

Seems to be a theme of Avellone's. All the characters in Torment are tormented by their pasts and drawn to the Nameless One by their shared pain. All characters in TSL are linked in some way to the events at Malachor V... and all either want to teach or be taught by the player. The mistake to make, I feel, when looking at TSL's themes is to look to the title and the tag line, as we did with Torment. At the heart of KotOR II lies the theme of the master-pupil relationship and it is explored every step of the way.

Sure he's not perfect but the beginning of King Lear is awful... doesn't stop the rest of the play nor big S' canon being good. Yes, I know I just committed heresy by comparing a game designer to Shakespeare... I've compared SHODAN to Iago and Andrew Ryan to Nero. Perhaps I'll be excommunicated from the London Review of Books, who knows these things?

Edit: No word back from Edmonton yet, folks. I've been too busy in work to keep the site as up-to-date as I'd like. Looks like Arátoeldar and Lantzen have covered me on that front by posting news up on the forums. Cheers to both of you for that (and to anyone else posting news on major RPG developments).

did they just dis karpyshyn? blasphemy...

@ Joss Kanubi: no, it's not a rumor, it is fact. and the fact that it is an MMO is all we need to know to despise it. Unless it has a full singleplayer campaign (i.e. Neverwinter Nights) in addition to the multiplayer aspect, it will not go down well with fans who want a gripping storyline to finish everything. MMOs don't have stories, they have questlines.

Yes, and below the title it reads: "BioWare is developing a massively multiplayer game set in the same universe as its award-winning Star Wars RPG."

1000 years after the death of luke skywalker is still in the same universe isn't it mr. smartypants? :xp:

Well, since EA described it as having an MMO component, there still remains the possibility that it may have an SP component as well.

*Keeps fingers crossed*

An NWN-type structure with SP and MMO contents would be the ultimate way to go IMO, where you finish the KotOR SP storyline, then go on to roam the Galaxy in MP with new modules, expansion packs maybe, etc...

It would be a logical step, I hope...

Archived