Home

More KOTOR III Possibilty News! (KOTOR MMO Confirmed?)

kookaburra

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know I'm one of the few but I don't mind it being online, and I'm confident Bioware can make a good game that can compete with World of Warcraft and not make the same mistakes Sony made with Galaxies. Of course I'd rather have a real KotOR 3, but an MMO is better than nothing at all right?

I think theres going to be a KOTOR3 and a KOTOR MMO, John R. confirmed the MMO, and it is being developed in Austin. The LucasArts Bioware interactive product is happening in Edmonton, so it is still something different from the MMO. That's brilliant actually, I can see how both would cover a broader segment of the population than either alone

^ Woah.

Hey Viper, where did you hear that the LA/Bioware project was happening in Edmonton? I mean, I think there's an rpg in development too, but according to Bioware's jobs page it seemed like they were hiring for an rpg being developed in the Austin/MMO studio.

^ Woah.

Hey Viper, where did you hear that the LA/Bioware project was happening in Edmonton? I mean, I think there's an rpg in development too, but according to Bioware's jobs page it seemed like they were hiring for an rpg being developed in the Austin/MMO studio.

Well I went back to check my information and I can't find it. I'm sure I read it somewhere reputable, but maybe I read it in a dream :o)

If I can find it I'll get back here and update this

Well I went back to check my information and I can't find it. I'm sure I read it somewhere reputable, but maybe I read it in a dream :o)

If I can find it I'll get back here and update this

That has some interesting implications. Another possibility I saw had to do with their "New Next-Gen Game" and their jobs page. I noticed on some of the job applications for the Austin studio (in particular for writers), they mention that they are hiring for a new role-playing game. They say that specifically for the Austin studio and specifically for their Edmonton studio. So, that implies that there is some sort of rpg title happening in Austin (they have separate applications for their two studios, obviously).

Either way, there is proof that LucasArts was looking for developers to make KOTOR 3 some time after this MMO was announced back in '06. So, don't anyone go thinking this MMO is the end of KOTOR! :D

I think theres going to be a KOTOR3 and a KOTOR MMO, John R. confirmed the MMO, and it is being developed in Austin. The LucasArts Bioware interactive product is happening in Edmonton, so it is still something different from the MMO. That's brilliant actually, I can see how both would cover a broader segment of the population than either alone

IF it is being done by the Austin section of Bioware. Then the game is being done by a bunch of ex-SoE (SWG) people.

Don't forget they're (Bioware) making TWO MMO's, remember...

@ RyuuKage - If you're referring to John Riccitiello's comments, keep in mind that he was referring to all of EA's subsidaries. In which case there are two MMOs in development. Star Wars: TOR (presumably) by Bioware, and Warhammer Online by EA Mythic.

Bioware is definately not large enough to develop two mmos simultaneously, especially considering that their hands are full right now as it is.

@ Prime - I can tell you from experience that each employee out there at a personal level has a beautiful portfolio to show the developer when he applies for the job. As long as they have the time and technology and effective decision making from the higher-ups they can produce quality content for a great game. Historically, Bioware higher-ups have not messed up there.

Don't forget they're (Bioware) making TWO MMO's, remember...

So far was wh know the Star Wars "MMO" is the MMO based on the HeroEngine. It would be an an extremely poor business decision to make two MMO by the same studio at the same time. Although not as bad as a decision, it would be bad business to make a MMO and SPRPG at the same time. It would be diluting your fan base too much.

^ Bad business to make an MMO and SPRPG at the same time? I don't know about that, man. From where I'm standing it looks like Bioware would be pretty popular right now if they were making KOTOR online and KOTOR 3. Don't you think?

@ RyuuKage - If you're referring to John Riccitiello's comments, keep in mind that he was referring to all of EA's subsidaries. In which case there are two MMOs in development. Star Wars: TOR (presumably) by Bioware, and Warhammer Online by EA Mythic.

Bioware is definately not large enough to develop two mmos simultaneously, especially considering that their hands are full right now as it is.

According to Bioware's website, they are working on the LA/Bioware project (this MMO), an as yet unnamed MMO, Sonic Chronicles, Dragon Age, and an unnamed next gen game.

In case you didn't notice, Bioware, like Square Enix, has grown significantly in the past few years.

@ Ryuu, that's an interesting way to look at it. The LA/Bioware collab was announced well over a year after the Austin MMO was reported as being underway. They announced late '07 that they have agreed to create an interactive product. Not really that they had been doing so already and were going public. However, I am still skeptical that there are two MMOs in development. I'll investigate in the morning. Good thinking, though!

@ Sala - Yeah, it's up right now. Huh.

Here is a quote from a forum member on Bioware.com

Have some fun with this one guys:

http://www.swtor.com

Registered 25-Jul-2007 to:

Cortez, Ruben rcortez4169@yahoo.com

Bigfoot Networks Inc.

3306 Snead Path

Round Rock, Texas 78664

Round Rock, Texas is basically on the outskirts of Austin... and we all know what's going on in Austin these days...

And with some searching, I find:

Click Here

"In the process of centralizing its IT infrastructure for several years, EA discovered that not enough emphasis had been placed on performance. "People wanted to force [centralization] to save X amount of dollars," said Ruben Cortez, chief network architect at EA."

And if you Google "Ruben Cortez" EA together, second hit is a dead page, but the cached version says this:

"Ruben Cortez was the Lead Network Engineer for Ultima Online, the massively multiplayer, persistent state world game by Origin Systems, a subsidiary of Electronic Arts, Inc. Released in Sept. of 1997, UO continues unto this day with network & server presence in 6 countries, on 4 continents, and almost 200,000 active subscribers. Ruben left Origin at the end of 1999 to join EA.com, the online venture of Electronic Arts and AOL. As Sr. Manager of Network Infrastructure, he is currently architecting and building the largest online gaming network in the world."

Here's my question... What are the odds that someone with the name Ruben Cortez from right near Austin, Texas would register the domain swtor.com, and also be the name of an EA network engineer that was the Lead Engineer for Ultima Online?

Hmmmm

R

If a Bioware developed KOTOR MMO increases the chances of an Obsidian developed KOTOR3 at some point in the future, then I'm all for it. Although I'm probably only going to be buying this MMO if it comes to consoles, my PC isn't exactly 'top of the range'. :p

Huh, interesting. More pieces to the puzzle.

Back to what Ryuu said up there about two MMOs at Bioware. My argument still holds. Riccitiello said there are two MMOs. Warhammer Online at Mythic, and "the ONE that people are dying for us to talk to them about — in partnership with Lucas, coming out of BioWare."

All the Bioware interviews on the MMO refer to them working on a single project as well, even the ones since the LA/Bioware Collab went public. :D

Oh, any number of reasons. They announced that they opened a studio for an MMO long before they announced that it had anything to with LucasArts. It's all so ambiguous right now though, It's hard to tell.

I know for sure though that they just don't have enough man-power to make two MMOs, Dragon Age, Sonic Chronicles, an unannouced rpg and the Mass Effect trilogy. You compared Bioware to Square Enix... Bioware has about 500 employees right now, Square is well over 3200 strong. No way, no how. :D

Archived