Home

More KOTOR III Possibilty News! (KOTOR MMO Confirmed?)

kookaburra

If you want to play with a group of friends in an RPG like KotOR thats why they could make Co-Op which I think is possible all it does is when one player uses the menu the other player is asked to pause the game or to keep playing which makes the other player mad so he does it again until the player sayings NO gives in so they can equip a shared invetory or something. And when pause time is used to use action que the same scenario happens. For co-op you can either pick to start a new game in which you both create characters in this case Revan and the Exile or play on an already saved game which pits Player #1 as either Revan or the Exile (whichever is PC) and Player #2 gets to pick an NPC character (most likely bad ass Mandalore/Canderous or HK-47 or some new bad ass) and gets to level them up from 1 to the level Player #1 is at. This is up to 3 player co op. That I wouldnt mind but what you are saying is hey I am about to battle a Boss as REVAN why do I just leave this level quickly to go get some friends who ARE REVAN REVAN EXILE EXILE so we all can.

If someone thinks of playing with a friend they think co op not MMO.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know I think that's what is going to happen.

The wait is over? No one was waiting for KOTOR MMO because there never was one. But all KOTOR fans were WAITING, PRAYING for KOTOR SPRPG. They said we haven't forgot about the KOTOR franchise, and I'm sure they saw that KOTOR I was far superior from BioWare compared to KOTOR II from Obsidian, at least according to the reviews. I'm betting it's SPRPG of KOTOR.

Before I get to my answer, let me say that I'm a big fan of SPRPGs and not MMOs.

Now, although it's true that KOTOR fans (myself included) have been waiting for a long time for another KOTOR game, it's just as easy to read the "The wait is over" as referring to an MMO that non-KOTOR SW fans have wanted ever since they saw how bad SWG was, as in, "Thank goodness, the wait for a seriously good SW MMO is over." Remember, not all SW fans are KOTOR fans. . .

I'm jus' sayin'. . .we'll find out for sure in six days.

Personally, I'm hoping that the "interactive entertainment product" is KOTOR 3 and the other big news is a KOTOR MMO. That way, both camps are happy. It's doubtful, I think, that that'll be the case but, hey, wishing's still free.

;-)

Before I get to my answer, let me say that I'm a big fan of SPRPGs and not MMOs.

Now, although it's true that KOTOR fans (myself included) have been waiting for a long time for another KOTOR game, it's just as easy to read the "The wait is over" as referring to an MMO that non-KOTOR SW fans have wanted ever since they saw how bad SWG was, as in, "Thank goodness, the wait for a seriously good SW MMO is over." Remember, not all SW fans are KOTOR fans. . .

I'm jus' sayin'. . .we'll find out for sure in six days.

Personally, I'm hoping that the "interactive entertainment product" is KOTOR 3 and the other big news is a KOTOR MMO. That way, both camps are happy. It's doubtful, I think, that that'll be the case but, hey, wishing's still free.

;-)

Like what I though when I pointed out they were two different things on BioWare's site.

Like what I though when I pointed out they were two different things on BioWare's site.

I think The KOTOR MMO and the entertainment product are two different games both based on the KOTOR universe. It seems the MMO will release first as it was first to appear chronologically on the Bioware website, but it could be the other way around. Just four more days until the big announcement.

It would make sense to do a single player game and an MMO seperately, to gather up both the single player fans and the MMO/StarWars fans, like you guys are saying. I think the dollar will dictate, and I think they see dollars available for harvest in both segments, MMO and SP

I think The KOTOR MMO and the entertainment product are two different games both based on the KOTOR universe. It seems the MMO will release first as it was first to appear chronologically on the Bioware website, but it could be the other way around. Just four more days until the big announcement.

It would make sense to do a single player game and an MMO seperately, to gather up both the single player fans and the MMO/StarWars fans, like you guys are saying. I think the dollar will dictate, and I think they see dollars available for harvest in both segments, MMO and SP

Are you talking about how the Bioware Menu is divided up?

In Development

>Dragon Age: Origins

>Massive Multiplayer Online (MMO) - March 13, 2006

>New Next Gen Game - Doesn't have a page.

>Lucasarts Bioware Interactive Product - October 30, 2007

I can see how you came up with the idea. Is there any levity to this possibility?

LOL IT WAS ME WHO POINTED IT OUT... JK but yes that is what we meant. Why would they list two different things one mmo and one team up and they are most likely going to tell us about one or the other for reason such as:

The writing and art (the invitation) looks totally KotOR which means LucasArts so that points to the Team Up.

But it was an invitation sent to many MMO organizations so that points towards the mmo.

IIRC the "New Next Gen Game" listed on BioWare's website showed up before BioWare announced they were working on an MMORPG in Austin.

With respect to any of these ideas being treated with levity (lack of appropriate seriousness or earnestness) I think we're all very serious in our efforts to figure out what BioWare and LucasArts are doing. ;)

None of us are talking about the next gen game as far as I am conserned that can be Attack of Barnie.

1. The listed MMO points towards the invitation since it was given to many MMO organizations.

2. The L.A.-Bioware team up points towards the invitation since it looks so KotOR.

they did it with halo 3. Its was really meant for multi player, but they added the single player component.

I will admith, that i haven't played it yet. Can't affort a 360 :(

Sorry, I just can't let this go without saying something. Halo was NEVER designed for multiplayer - infact, just a few weeks ago, Bungie admitted to almost DROPPING mutliplayer entirely in the original game due to bugs! Thankfully, they got it working and it became the more popular feature overall.

Anyway, back on topic. I don't care about it being SRPG or MMO - I trust Bioware with KotOR, and I think an MMO could work brilliantly. Can't wait for the game.

n_n

I guess you should be wellcomed to the Lucasforums or something, or is it just Bioware that builds your interest. Look arround, you might find something else worth a go. Whell, not really, KOTOR is dead, so...........

rofl.

Yeah, I see that from the recently announced MMO they're making.

I'd have thought the chances for a KOTOR3 were RAISED by the fact they're making an MMO.

• 2 weeks later...
nope, if this don't work out then LA drops the series.

I still think, assuming TOR is successful, there will be a KOTOR3 Single Player game. I'm not losing hope. I think they picked 300 years later to give them a suitable window in which they can continue the KOTOR series and not interfere with the circumstances in TOR. Whaddaya think?

I still think, assuming TOR is successful, there will be a KOTOR3 Single Player game. I'm not losing hope. I think they picked 300 years later to give them a suitable window in which they can continue the KOTOR series and not interfere with the circumstances in TOR. Whaddaya think?

Of course until the world exists, there will always be SOME chance for a SP Kotor 3 being finally released. But it won't happen in at least 3 more years since neither BioWare, Obsidian or LucasArts is currently working on it. And nothing suggest that the production could begin anytime soon. Besides, a SP Kotor could be a competition for the MMO which is sth LucasArts doesn't want for sure.

Nonetheless, I would love to see what happened with Revan and the Exile. Even though we know that they did not succeded at stopping the True Sith from invading the Republic (though maybe they at least delayed the invasion?), having a chance to expierience their journey in the Unknown Regions would be priceless. The time gap between the TSL and TOR gives me a hope for a conclusion of the Revan plot.

The worst thing that could happen is if BioWare explained Revan's fate in 3 sentences spoken by some NPC in TOR. That would equal to a definitive end of a possibility of K3 being released. Unfortunately, it may happen. We know that HK, T3 and G0-T0 will appear in TOR. I doubt they would make them appear without any mention of the events from the past. I is possible that they made them appear precisely to explain what happened to Revan and the Exile and wrap all of the K1&2 loose-ends in a couple of lines. I hope I'm wrong.

Even though we know that they did not succeded at stopping the True Sith from invading the Republic

I've always wanted to see every rabid Revan/Exile fanboy/fangirl's dream crushed like a bug.

(though maybe they at least delayed the invasion?)

Every Revan/Exile fanboy/fangirl's second-best dream.

We know that HK, T3 and G0-T0 will appear in TOR.

Having immortal droid characters cheapens everything cool about them - especially HK and G0-T0. I don't think any credible fan would complain if no HK droids survived for centuries and millennia after KOTOR 2.

Credible fans? Do you get to judge the credability of all fans?

HK-47 supposedly survived up to "Galaxies" anyway. Can't say I was thrilled with what they did with him, but he did.

Anyway, I don't think we will get another new RPG if TOR is succesful. If "The Old Republic" is succeful we'll get another MMO.

I had hoped a KOTOR III would have Revan punked out by the True Sith for a bit, while still having him/her help save the day from them.

If "The Old Republic" is succeful we'll get another MMO.

I don't mean to be harsh here but, that is probably the most dumbest thought up response I've read on the whole ToR debate. Why on earth would a company make an MMO, should that be successful, they give themselves a contradiction to their first successful MMO. There is a 99.9% chance of them making K3 instead of a 2nd MMO.

Bring on the flames.

My instinct for profitability and popularity says all efforts lay towards the TOR MMO whilst K3 has been simply abandoned. I do not believe all future possibility of a K3 is gone, however it has left the realm of any present consideration meaning it could be another two years away at best and effectively beyond its use-by date. MMO's are virtually a high school cult and this is the market gaming companies want. It's a numbers thing.

The drawback of an MMO is expense. I can put together a budget mid-range system for a few hundred bucks, or play a K2-based K3 on my existing one but this MMO would require a couple of thousand worth of higher end system/expensive laptop, reliable broadband and consistent/established living environment. Kids tend to get this easier, in greater numbers by hassling their parents than semi-skilled employees paying their own way in a world with only so much apparent wealth individually available and many more bills to worry about.

MMO is a better money maker, though its fan base is far more whimsical and transient, requiring therefore much more investment in support and continuing, fast paced development, particularly maintaining graphics/interface development. Look at other SW MO's which in terms of profitability were really pan flashes with very limited genuine lifespans, before popularity was taken over by the next fashionable MO. Sure they have their fan base but they lost the "every kid needs to have it" quality within months.

On the other hand a K3 has a large, reliable SPRPG fan base and the community itself inevitably provides a reliable support and development network. It costs far, far less to put a product like this of equal quality on the market.

So I'm guessing about a year from now LA/OE will be looking at how successful the MMO has been and whether or not to slap K3 together, which the modding community will no doubt have to repackage almost as much as K2, it'll probably even contain mod support out of the box, since silent content would be less likely. I don't think any efforts to develop a K3 has been made at this stage and by then materiel couldn't really be adapted from TOR without looking cheap.

I've always wanted to see every rabid Revan/Exile fanboy/fangirl's dream crushed like a bug.

Every Revan/Exile fanboy/fangirl's second-best dream.

And the point of your comment is?

Having immortal droid characters cheapens everything cool about them - especially HK and G0-T0. I don't think any credible fan would complain if no HK droids survived for centuries and millennia after KOTOR 2.

Neither I like this idea. But at least they're not bringing back organic characters (at least for what we know so far)

I don't mean to be harsh here but, that is probably the most dumbest thought up response I've read on the whole ToR debate. Why on earth would a company make an MMO, should that be successful, they give themselves a contradiction to their first successful MMO. There is a 99.9% chance of them making K3 instead of a 2nd MMO.

Bring on the flames.

Well, my imperceptive friend. By the time they are completely done with TOR, it will be out of date. Hence since they have a formula for a successful game, it is logical that they will make another one along the same lines. Changing gears back to a Single Player RPG, which will probably have a smaller audience, would be illogical. There is a 00.01% chance that they will make a Kotor III. See? I can make opinion statements and pass them off like a mathematical fact, too. So perhaps it is you, who has the dumbest responses on the MMO debate.

Look, I don't enjoy being a jerk. So perhaps we could both cut it out?

Archived