Home

More KOTOR III Possibilty News! (KOTOR MMO Confirmed?)

kookaburra

Well, why dont they create a nice itellectual proberty then...
They have. Several.

compare the stuff they are doing know to Baldurs gate 2 or Planescape torment. I see a great difference in quality.
I don't know about that. Jade Empire was very well accepted, as was Neverwinter Nights. And I suspect Mass Effect will be top of the line as well.

They are by no means lacking for great universes.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi people, I just found this doing a search in vivisimo.com ...

http://gamepage.gaminghorizon.com/media.php?game_id=469

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic III

PlayStation 3 , Xbox 360

Publisher:Lucas Arts

Developer:Obsidian

Genre:Action

Players:1

Release:TBA

Multiplayer:Offline

and there are several comments ... dont know what to think ...

just hope this is true ..

Hi people, I just found this doing a search in vivisimo.com ...

http://gamepage.gaminghorizon.com/media.php?game_id=469

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic III

PlayStation 3 , Xbox 360

Publisher:Lucas Arts

Developer:Obsidian

Genre:Action

Players:1

Release:TBA

Multiplayer:Offline

and there are several comments ... dont know what to think ...

just hope this is true ..

Genre: Action? WTF

Anyhow that page is more than likely an assumption. Many gaming websites like this make pages on games before their announcement. I remember tracking Halo 3 on gamespot before Microsoft even announced it.

• 3 weeks later...

EVERYONE NEEDS TO READ THIS INTERVIEW

It is the closest thing to a mention that we have.

Interview with LucasArts VP

GS: How do you guys keep your mouth shut about all these things you're so excited about?

PH: That's a great question. I mean, we deal with some incredibly sensitive IP. I saw Star Wars: Episode III a year before it came out. So it's part of the culture here. Our IP is one of our most valuable assets, and if you spill the beans about a movie or game it really robs it of its potency. Everyone loves the instant rush of a spoiler on the Internet. Then, after you read it, it's like, "Oh, I wish I hadn't seen that, I wish I had seen how that played out in a theatre or in a game."

So, I think it's traditionally, it's very important to maintain to maintain an integrity about what we're working on because, like I said, there's stuff in the pipe that that I can't wait to talk about. But it's not the right time for a variety of reasons. You know, there's stuff going on with Star Wars that is really cool and exciting but, you know again, there's a time and place to talk about it.

Culturally, at LucasArts, I mean, we share a lot of information with Lucasfilm. Our new people are always surprised how much detail we go into at our company meetings, but it sort of says, "Hey, we trust you as a Lucasfilm employee. You're going to be exposed to a lot of really rockin' stuff and you got to keep it under your hat because that's part of the job." And I think everyone here then signs up for it.

^^^

Nice find, Mister Chief! Very interesting stuff.

Another Peter Hirschmann quote from this article:

LucasArts is always only going to publish a certain number of titles a year. We want each one of them to be a home run and something that truly is next-gen. That was that was one of the biggest criteria, because if it was a really great idea but it could be executed on current-gen, well maybe we're not the right home for it. That was the package deal.
OK, so we now know Day One Studios is making a next-gen game for multiple platforms that was at least somewhat inspired by the Pandemic/LucasArts game Mercenaries and that we should get more details on this game by the end of 2006.

Unfortunately, this is just another example (the untitled Star Wars 2007 game being the other) of LucasArts releasing information about a game it is involved with more than a year in advance of the game's release date. This coupled with the fact that LEC VP of production says that LucasArts will only make a certain number of titles/year (quality over quantity) makes me believe even more strongly that 2008 is the earliest we'll see a KotOR 3. :( Not that I think LEC's approach is wrong. I for one very much like quality games. But it just doesn't seem like anything is in the works for KotOR 3 yet.

Uh, how is that even possible?

He saw it in rough form before post-production was completely done? He wouldn't have seen all of the special effects stuff, but he could have seen the bulk of the movie in a very rough form, since the acting was done.

If they are producing a KotOR III for the next-generation of technology, this must imply that they will have to build a new engine. This could take at least a year to do.

I am projecting a 2011 release of KotOR III.

By holding back a few tittles for later, I think it will ensure their longevity of success. When they really need to make a push, then you will see BG3 and KotOR3 being made. There could be (I am speculating) a strategic plan in place. Lucas Arts could be betting on KotOR 3 and BG 3 to become a long-term investment.

Like it was said, "if it was a really great idea but it could be executed on current-gen, well maybe we're not the right home for it.". At the moment, KotOR II's game engine is for current systems; therefore, KotOR III is not being made. However, its game engine could be in the process of creation, so it can be implimented on the next-generation systems later.

At the end, they will make more money over a stretch of time, and their company's future will be secure.

-------------------Added Edit-------------------

Here is another thought, which people would not want to hear. However, this does make good buisness sense. Lucas Arts is turning into a game company, correct, so their main goal is to develop different types of games that span from multiple sources.

Star Wars could turn into a spoon feeding, so it will continue to bring in money. By expanding into other genera (sp?), they will be able to find some success other places.

This is going to hurt some: Star Wars' long term success is probally numbered. Otherwords, they will slow down production on action figures and games. Eventually, the franchise will slowly dwindle. Since George is no longer making any more Star Wars movies, there is really no more reason to keep things on a high note. He has allready made his money. According to some of the people in here, the TV Shows are going to be more adult orientated. This means there is going to be more drama, and there will be less intense action (wars). This will change the direction of the franchise slightly, and the need for action figures and games will dwindle. They could be creating a steady flow of Star Wars games for the future, so the franchise will stay mainstream.

That is why I am looking at a 2011 release date for KotOR III, and I am not looking at a early release. (Add this to my idea above, and Lucas Arts will have secured their future.)

If they are producing a KotOR III for the next-generation of technology, this must imply that they will have to build a new engine. This could take at least a year to do.

I am projecting a 2011 release of KotOR III.

By holding back a few tittles for later, I think it will ensure their longevity of success. When they really need to make a push, then you will see BG3 and KotOR3 being made. There could be (I am speculating) a strategic plan in place. Lucas Arts could be betting on KotOR 3 and BG 3 to become a long-term investment.

Like it was said, "if it was a really great idea but it could be executed on current-gen, well maybe we're not the right home for it.". At the moment, KotOR II's game engine is for current systems; therefore, KotOR III is not being made. However, its game engine could be in the process of creation, so it can be implimented on the next-generation systems later.

At the end, they will make more money over a stretch of time, and their company's future will be secure.

Their company's future should be secure without having to rely on Kotor...

By the way, Baldurs Gate (I assume this is what you mean with BG) is proberty of Lucas Arts??? Since when? And BG seems to be *really* finished. It would NOT work, having the same character in BG1 and BG2 then there is a BG3 with a new character...

Apart from that, I agree with you. Kotor III will need quite a few years.

Just look at other successful series:

Warcraft...years of years between 2 and 3

Splinter Cell... the exception. Those guys are really fast xD

Halflife... when was the first released? 1998 maybe?

Doom...same as halflife

Well, since we're really grasping at straws when it comes to KotOR 3 news I thought I would post this quote I transcribed from the end of a Eurogamer.net interview with LucasArts President Jim Ward. Thanks to DarthMaulUK for posting the link to this interview in the [thread=168929]Community Discussion Forum[/thread].

We have a two-fold strategy. Um, we basically started all over again with our internal studio as a reboot. And there are a number of great, great people who I felt were strong enough to reboot the company from. And those were people like Peter Hirschmann. And we have slowly but surely been rebuilding our studio.

We now have two internal teams. We're going to grow that because I want to have the majority of what we do come out of LucasArts internally. Particularly around the IP that we own because we know it better than anyone else.

However because we've been so successful over the past couple of years we've had a number of external developers approach us. Because of what we've been doing, particularly on the publishing side and saying, "Hey! We want to be a part of that because you guys are looking at things differently. You're shaking up the industry." And we welcome those partners. We're partnering with Traveler's Tales and Day One Studios and Kuchu (sp?) and Frontier and Natural Motion and Pixelux and all of these folks because they're great quality people and they want to be with us. So we're always going to do that as well.

But we do want to bring up our internal studio capability.

So it sounds like LEC wants to go solo on their own IP (like KotOR) but continue working with external studios for projects that LEC feels are worth the time to be the publisher for (e.g. Day One Studios).

"We're no longer just the Star Wars company," insists Ward...

I think that explains what I mean. Otherwords, they will be looking into other avenues, besides Star Wars, to keep the inovation going steady. Star Wars is not their only I.P., so it could come from a large franchise. That is a good thing. Hopefully we will see other games, besides KotOR III, beeing retooled for future 'next-gen' consoles and pcs.

Archived