Home

More KOTOR III Possibilty News! (KOTOR MMO Confirmed?)

kookaburra

Well...

I know this is marketing strategies at full throttle, but, if LA isn't planning a KotOR III they should at least announce that! It's feeding too much speculation.

Yesterday I heard another rumout that a group of fans was creating Kotor III mod based in the Obsidian engine. Just a rumour, fortunately, ended up being teamGiska with their restoration mod.

But it's a good example for what I said above.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"won't be leaving Kotor behind" is somewhat vague

My friend, they did the same thing with Republic Commando and, guess what?, they are making a sequel.

That's not the point, the point is: This silence is feeding rumors. At least they could say "Ok, not planned until 2009" or something or "sorry! we're not planning anything" or " there's a project going on, no dates"... that's the sort of thing they CAN do and this is my only critic...

All news concerning Kotor3 has been a little vague, IMO. Even the statement "won't be leaving Kotor behind" is somewhat vague, and I think maybe it's time LucasArts said if it's planned or not.

I agree. The Kotor series is my favorite of all the Star Wars games. It's only right that the make #3 and conclude it. Especially with the Empire Strikes Back type to be continued ending they gave us for #2.

Seroisuly, they left so much at the end, it has to be continued! The return of Revan, the Exile, the battle agaisnt the true sith, the restabilization of the republic... There was that Revan vision in the secret tomb in the cave on Korriban- and you fight Revan signalling that something must be going to happen in the third game. perhaps they are just keepign it as secret as they an to make it a total suprise...

Seroisuly, they left so much at the end, it has to be continued! The return of Revan, the Exile, the battle agaisnt the true sith, the restabilization of the republic... There was that Revan vision in the secret tomb in the cave on Korriban- and you fight Revan signalling that something must be going to happen in the third game. perhaps they are just keepign it as secret as they an to make it a total suprise...

That's my instinct, there's no law that they have to tell us they're making it, they could announce it like a week before it's released, they are allowed to do that, and that's what I think is happening, either they are already developing it, or it is to be developed very very soon :)

Well they don't have to do anything really (whoever it may be who may be making the game). I ain't holdion' my breath on this one at all until there is definate official proof of the game's production, it's release.

Ok here is my take on the whole situation. LA does have alot on its plate at this time, with the upcoming "tv mini movies" that were announced at E3. Another HUGE factor is the advent of next generation graphics technologies. Look at "The Force Unleashed" for an example. Console systems like the PS3 have sooooooo much graphic and processing power its crazy. Before releasing a MAJOR SEQUEL title a company will want to wait at this time due to several reasons.

1. Next gen graphics.

2. Console systems.

3. DX10 and Vista are not mainstream as of yet.

4. There is a new video technology out there that is just coming of age and its totally mind blowing. It uses mathmatcal algorithms instead of bitmapping graphics, this will especially make a huge impact on games designed for PS3 and its MASSIVE cell processor engine(s).

5. Third party vendor vs in house development. Obsidion is a good company and offers alot of support HOWEVER... thier games are sluggish and slow and require tons and tons of updates .. example is NWN2.. its an awesome game but runs sluggish even on the best of systems. Hopefully Mask of the Betrayer will fix up some of those slowdown problems.

So as you can see there are many many aspects that go into the "announcement" of any release by a company like LA.. especially one as big as a K3 announcement.

IMHO I think Force Unleased is actually an experiment of sorts into these next gen graphics and will let them know just what they can be capable of with a MAJOR title release like a K3 would be. I would not expect any official K3 announcement for at least another year.

Please let me know if this is old news since the date on the article is from June, but i was skimming the g4tv website and found this interesting tidbit of information:

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/676162/New_KOTOR_3_For_Christmas.html

If I read and understood the article correctly, bioware is currently working on not one but TWO new KOTOR games, an MMO and a sp game. Again, correct me if i'm wrong but since it was from g4 i'm a little more inclined to believe it than something coming from another source. :sbdance

Please let me know if this is old news since the date on the article is from June, but i was skimming the g4tv website and found this interesting tidbit of information:

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/676162/New_KOTOR_3_For_Christmas.html

If I read and understood the article correctly, bioware is currently working on not one but TWO new KOTOR games, an MMO and a sp game. Again, correct me if i'm wrong but since it was from g4 i'm a little more inclined to believe it than something coming from another source. :sbdance

This is just more spouting by people completely unconnected with the game, I'm afraid. Much the same as IGN's predictions. Even the MMO is based on a newspaper gossip column!

• 2 weeks later...

Found this job posting dated 01 October 2007 on Next Generation's website:

Position Title: Lead Designer

Job Number: LEC00743

Department: Creative Design and Technical

Reports To: Project Lead- Team 3

Division: LucasArts Entertainment Co.

Summary:

Manage the project's Design Team while driving all design decisions from concept through to final implementation. Work closely with the Project Lead and other discipline Leads to focus the creative process, evangelize design direction, and iterate on gameplay features throughout the entire project cycle.

So the only concrete thing I get out of this is that LA has an unannounced project they need a lead designer for. The looming question of course is: "What game is Team 3 working on?" Maybe it's KotOR 3 but the game could just as easily be a non-SW title. In any case at this point all we can do is continue our feverish speculation. :D

^^^

Without a doubt! ;)

Actually I'll burst my own bubble since nobody else has. :( After I made post #717 I started thinking that I had read something about LucasArts Team 3 before. I think it was a Jim Ward interview I had read or seen. In any case, seems like it's already known that Team 3 is working on new IP and not any SW titles so I guess we can nix any relationship between Team 3 and KotOR 3. :cry6: Sorry about the false alarm. :giveup:

After a convenient stop-off in the gift shop, we hit the swank cafeteria for an open bar, chicken wings and potato salad table, DJ and schmoozing. I hung out with Paul Wrider and some other folks from LucasArts Team 3, which works on original IP rather than Star Wars retreads.
Source: Hooked: Underground Dilettante Goes to LucasArts' GDC Party

My search for anything KotOR continues... :hattip:

• 3 weeks later...

I know some of you will say "hey this is just a rumour, anything possible"

but since the hundreds of rumours spread and ALL of them -i mean %100 of them- just points on KOTOR and SW, and on the other hand LucasArts neither Confirms od Deny them for 2 years, and my searches and e-mails to other close sources,

it is %99 certain that Bioware's MMO is Knights Of The Old Republic Online.

I am writing here, when the announcement being made, please come back and read this post again.

"A source close to BioWare confirmed to us today that the studio’s upcoming untitled massively-multiplayer online RPG will be centered around the Star Wars universe, specifically that of Knights of the Old Republic, which the developer released in 2003. The game garnered critical acclaim and spawned a less-popular sequel, released by Obsidian two years later. "

Read more here

omg...wouldnt this be totally freaking AWESOME!

Interesting. But, "source's close to bioware" have been saying that for some time so I'm starting to believe this may actually be a possibility. Still wondering how this will work out with Bioware being eaten by EA .

2009 sounds waaaaaaaay too soon, though. If I were them, I'd work and play test this game for at least 2-3 years before thinking of releasing. Possibly longer. If they must do this, then they better do it right.

Although, I'm not sure how fast games get made nowadays so meh.

indeed, they better not do this game too quick. if you ask me, id rather have this game in 2009/2010 and having to play KOTOR 2 for two more years (wich is hardly a punishment, seeing the rate of new mods coming :D) , then to have a quickly-made not too-well and un-moddable (because its online) game right now. plus, they already have an awesome game coming up (force unleashed), so ill be happy with that for some time, too.

Archived