Home

More KOTOR III Possibilty News! (KOTOR MMO Confirmed?)

kookaburra

5 ;), Galaxies is a different animal, you cant pop the game on for 5 minutes and know anything about it, I played it for months before I discovered Guilds, roleplay, storytellers, I could go on... it's not everyones cup of tea, but dont enter an MMO expecting a welcome party or medal ceremony at the end. I play Galaxies a lot but it is NO KotOR, and if they take KotOR's future the MMO route... Sucky! not because MMO's suck, but KotOR deserves a SPRPG Conclusion to the Trilogy

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did some more research and found the exact quote for what EA CEO John Riccitiello said about EA funding the MMO in Austin. He made the statement during an investor conference sponsored by William Blair & Company in the context of where EA's research and development money is being spent. In other words, the MMORPG in development at BioWare Austin is being funded by EA. Nothing noteworthy about that since EA owns BioWare. For those who want to hear this for themselves, there is an audio recording of Mr. Riccitiello's presentation posted at http://www.wsw.com/webcast/blair13/erts/ and this statement occurs at about 30 minutes 15 seconds into it, fairly close to the end.

I can now say with a high degree of confidence that my initial reaction to the reports about EA's CEO letting slip something about the LucasArts/BioWare project was correct. He didn't reveal anything new.

Whether or not the LucasArts/BioWare project will turn out to be KotOR 3 is still very much in question. It's all open to interpretation and all we really got from Mr. Riccitello's statement is that whatever the BioWare MMORPG is, a LucasArts IP or not, EA is funding development for it. Whether LucasArts is also providing funding or not is unknown.

5 ;), Galaxies is a different animal, you cant pop the game on for 5 minutes and know anything about it, I played it for months before I discovered Guilds, roleplay, storytellers, I could go on... it's not everyones cup of tea, but dont enter an MMO expecting a welcome party or medal ceremony at the end. I play Galaxies a lot but it is NO KotOR, and if they take KotOR's future the MMO route... Sucky! not because MMO's suck, but KotOR deserves a SPRPG Conclusion to the Trilogy

Dug up this old news regarding both Galaxies and the "confirmed" KotOR MMO. I'm pretty sure it's been debunked and was posted in this thread awhile ago I believe.

I found it interesting because it states that: "It’s estimated that the game (Galaxies) now has fewer than 100,000 subscribers and less than 20,000 active players."

I played Galaxies for a week or 2 (if that), and just couldn't get into it. As you can tell from my signature, I've played WoW for quite a bit (stopped a couple months ago, might start again when the new exp. pack comes out). Blizzard sure did a much better job of pulling me in to the experience than SOE did.

I definately agree that a SPRPG would be the way to go from a KotOR fan standpoint, but when you look at the success other MMORPGs have had (praticularly WoW), it can be hard to turn away from all the financial potential a game like that has. Blizzzard must have done something right to make sure millions of people pay monthly fees.

Whether or not a KotOR MMO would "suck" or not is all opinion at this time, and it still will be opinion if one is made. You never know, maybe it would actually be a lot of fun and please some of you KotOR MMO naysayers out there.

I would definitely play a KotOR era MMO, but I wouldn't want it to be in the place of a SPRPG KotOR III :)

If only they would be willing to put both a SPRPG and MMORPG experience in the same game...then everyone is happy. Although that would be a very rare game...given all the extra work that would have to happen to basically put 2 seperate games in one.

So, basically, like Neverwinter Nights... to an extent?

That would be interesting, though it should be an SPRPG only. Otherwise, how many people are going to buy this thinking It's just like World of Warcraft! And then the MMO side of it would be ruined by the amount of people who just want to run around, yelling: "I am the true Revan! Will you make me a Lightsaber?"

Oh well, I guess I'm of the camp that KotOR Three won't happen.

So, basically, like Neverwinter Nights... to an extent?

That would be interesting, though it should be an SPRPG only. Otherwise, how many people are going to buy this thinking It's just like World of Warcraft! And then the MMO side of it would be ruined by the amount of people who just want to run around, yelling: "I am the true Revan! Will you make me a Lightsaber?"

Oh well, I guess I'm of the camp that KotOR Three won't happen.

That's the risk that pretty much every MMO has had come true. I don't know of any MMO where every single player is disciplined. There's bound to be those kinds of people that are constantly jerks.

I agree though, I would like to see KotOR remain SPRPG. If there's an online of any kind, maybe it would be some sort of custom character dueling or something.

That would actually be kinda cool to participate in.

I agree making KotOR III a MMO would ruin the aspect of you being the only "special" character. ]

yup. it's all about feeling like the biggest badass in the universe :lol:

thanks everyone for posting rumors and news you find, it's very much appreciated over here :)

i get excited like a little kid every time i see a new post on this thread :lol: one of these days it's gonna be that link to some official news!

right?...

:cry6:

I don’t think he was referring to the money aspect. I believe he was referring to the consistency in feel and game play. I agree with him. “KotOR I” and “KotOR II” were designed to give the player character a certain importance. Once you open the game to include a massive audience during gameplay, you will have everyone running around saying, “No! I am Revan!”.

Bingo

And some good stuff referring to SWG above, lolz

I think they're highest priority at this point concerning the KotOR franchise should be finishing the story, first and foremost. That means KotOR 3 is the logical next step. An MMO (or anything other than an RPG, really) simply can't fulfill that requirement.

Bingo

And some good stuff referring to SWG above, lolz

I think they're highest priority at this point concerning the KotOR franchise should be finishing the story, first and foremost. That means KotOR 3 is the logical next step. An MMO (or anything other than an RPG, really) simply can't fulfill that requirement.

Now i do support having KOTOR 3 come out before an MMO, but i disagree with the fact that an MMO couldnt fulfill the storyline if done correctly. If the questing is able to keep true to the system in the 1st two games. I believe it could be possible to have a similar finish to it. The one benefit of having an MMO over a SPRPG is the fact that the story would be able to be expanded as the dev's see fit, with patches and expansions.

I'd much rather see the Single player game 1st...but just making a point...

Now i do support having KOTOR 3 come out before an MMO, but i disagree with the fact that an MMO couldnt fulfill the storyline if done correctly. If the questing is able to keep true to the system in the 1st two games. I believe it could be possible to have a similar finish to it. The one benefit of having an MMO over a SPRPG is the fact that the story would be able to be expanded as the dev's see fit, with patches and expansions.

I'd much rather see the Single player game 1st...but just making a point...

You can't make a game that is SPRPG with patches and expansion packs?

How can the questing stay true to the system when there's only supposed to be one savior/hero of the story?

The one benefit of having an MMO over a SPRPG is the fact that an MMO would bring in more money, which is really what they care about.

Fixed it for you.

Just because your PC has been the hero of the first two games doesn't mean there can be only a single main hero to the KotOR3 story. And as far as story consistency across genres, World of Warcraft has a story that continues that storyline from the RTS games, even if nobody really pays attention to it. It can be done.

However, an MMO ruins many of the key elements of what KotOR has been to its fans:

(1) Your personal Revan and Exile and their related stories will likely be supplanted by some "canon" Revan and Exile, so that quests and lore are consistant for all players.

(2) You will likey do most of your traveling/questing/fighting with other players rather than NPCs. The NPCs, their stories and interactions with your character are a big part of what made the KotOR games so enjoyable. In an MMO, NPCs tend to be limited to quest givers, sources of game lore, and only occasionally a helper for "instanced" content.

(3) Romances. Will we now have Bastila being the biggest slut in the universe as a million characters stand around /lick -ing her? No likely. You may get the opportunity to flirt with NPCs, but most likely meaningful romances in the game will be between players only.

(4) Custom content. A good part of the fun of KotOR for many players are the fan-made tweaks and mods, from changing robes to adding new quests and storylines. This could be done in a multiple-PW situation like with NWN, but would be very limited for a full-blown MMO like WoW.

So IMO the KotOR story could be completed by an MMO, but such a game would ruin much of what KotOR has meant to most of its fans.

In a KoToR MMO you could focus on the war vs the real sith. Fresh army recruit or something lame like that. And also to the above poster, you could have different servers. Maybe one server were revan and exile are 'canon' lightsiders and another server where they are darkside. Could still work and allow players to feel like 'their' story was intact.

Rest of the point are still valid though.... MMO's just don't have that much RPG in them unfortunatly....

Huh? Many MMOs are known for having RPG elements...hence the term:

MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game)

Actually, more often than not the role playing just means the player has a character that is pretty different from them in real life(in word and deed). Or, you could go with the more often used RPG in MMORPG: RoLL Playing Game.

That being said, KOTOR 3 as a MMORPG is a no-no on so many levels as described before. But a MMORPG set in the KOTOR period(perhaps a prequel including the war where there could be numerous Jedi running around) would probably work better than SW Galaxies did.

Actually, more often than not the role playing just means the player has a character that is pretty different from them in real life(in word and deed).

You're still role-playing, regardless if you actually act it out or not in-game, since you're representing something that isn't you.

But a MMORPG set in the KOTOR period(perhaps a prequel including the war where there could be numerous Jedi running around) would probably work better than SW Galaxies did.

I agree that (done correctly) a MMORPG would work better than Galaxies, but a prequel would piss off even more people. Everyone wants a conclusion to the story. We know enough already about what happened before, so we don't need to play that out. What we don't know is what is happening afterward, and that is what people want to find out.

i think this Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game news thing would ruin the kotor aspect entirely cos it would be a same failure as galaxies.. i even played galaxies when it first came out i played it for a few years about.. then some genius guy decided to make a new generation mass update patch for galaxies and then instantly the game died slowly cos it added you the ability to be a jedi from the start of the game.. and thats what i am afraid of that if they make kotor III an online game based during kotor-game or after there would be jedis and as few people sed earlier that everybody will be running around and shouting that i am exile i am revan bla bla bla if i should say IT IS NO!!

it should continue the same way it was before and i dont want to be negative the only positive thing i give this is that BioWare is going to make this not obsidian :D

If it's true, it's set for 2010/2011 in the article.

Which probably means a rough 'christmas period 2010' release. This means we'll have to wait at least another year (maybe 1,5 upto year) before any information is given.

Plus, I'm allergic for MMO's that don't have the words 'Guild' or 'Wars' in it. :xp:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=26213172

(Yay for 4 month old links.) Look mom, its an anti-MMO KOTOR link. LoLz

No offense. But all you people who think an MMO Kotor would be a good idea...are wrong...*-* (Atleast thats IMHO.)

On a side note...

Game Informers Top Ten Sequels In Demand:

1-Star Wars: Knights of the old republic

2-Shadowrun

3-System Shock

4-Jedi Knight

5-X-Com

6-Punch-Out!!

7-Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

8-Chrono series

9-Diablo

10-Crimson Skies

Looking forward to it WHEN it comes out. :D

All you dreary gentlemen with your "KOTOR 3 will never happen." tude need to go play some Mass Effect while you wait. :p

tehehehe

Archived