Home

More KOTOR III Possibilty News! (KOTOR MMO Confirmed?)

kookaburra

Also quietly in development is KOTOR 3, with the team at Obsedian still behind the game early news is that players can expect better interaction between NPCs and the main character....

Is this a repeat of the 'mamoth' thing?

Once again, this is just commenting on the article Kookaburra found, so I'll keep on waiting for an official announcement.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It would be nice to know what they mean by realtime...

It will more than likely be similar in playability to Jade Empire.

That is one interesting RPG with great graphical content, cut scenes and realtime fighting. I hate to say it, but I really did enjoy playing that one.

That game proves it can work. As much as I enjoy the turn based battling and contemplative strategy, I just have a feeling they're going to move in this direction.

Before, I've stated that KotOR should stay turned based, but, since my foray into Ancient China...

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATED! 27TH FEB 2006

Greetings :)

Well, guess what? I found more Kotor III rumor news on the LucasArts Forums (YAY about time) Look at this:

The third chapter in LucasArts' RPG exploration of the Star Wars legacy.

NOTE: This game has not yet been announced or officially confirmed by the publisher. Exact plans for which platforms this title might release on are also unconfimed at this time. Unofficially, the game is expected to be one of three next-gen projects in the works at developer Obsidian Entertainment.

Linkie:

http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/793/793795.html

Enjoy

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings :)

Chris Avellone has kindly agreed to answer a few questions and draw a few pictures for people with reading comprehension issues. Chris even decided to turn the interview into a real dialogue, and he was going to comment on my comments - "Oh no way, I'd love to answer these, buckle up. ;)", but Lucas Arts' people called and said that they want KOTOR 3 out by Christmas, so he had to get back to work.

does this say any thing about KoTOR III???? I thought this post was rather interesting. Enjoy your read any way.

linkie:

http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=11533

Chris Avellone has kindly agreed to answer a few questions and draw a few pictures for people with reading comprehension issues. Chris even decided to turn the interview into a real dialogue, and he was going to comment on my comments - "Oh no way, I'd love to answer these, buckle up. ", but Lucas Arts' people called and said that they want KOTOR 3 out by Christmas, so he had to get back to work.

Hmmm.

Do you think they are aiming for a Christmas-surprise release, and they just didn't anounce it yet because they didn't want to put pressure on the developer like they did with Kotor2?

If so, this will be a very, very cool Q4...Spore, UT2007, Kotor 3...

*saves money*

does this say any thing about KoTOR III???? I thought this post was rather interesting.
IMO, no. I think they're just joking around. Remember how the TSL release got pushed up 2 months from February to December? If Obsidian didn't have any time to waste to make TSL's original release date they most certainly had even less when the release date got pushed up or in other words no time for interviews. So yeah, I think the guys at RPG Codex just made snide commentary about TSL's release date using KotOR 3 and at LucasArts expense. Just my interpretation though. :)

I agree that it was probably a joke, but I'll be very surprised if we don't hear a legitimate x-mas 2006 release date for K3 at E3.

1) I believe that OE completed at least a portion of the story of K3 while developing K2. One of the possible causes for some of the cut content would be inconsistencies with a third installment. Also, the story had quite a bit of blatant foreshadowing. Can't foreshadown when you don't know what's going to happen later.

2) I suspect that OE got further with the engine tweaks than we know. Of course, they had to back out of some of them due to time contstraints.

3) the timeline just makes sense. KotOR came out for xmas 2003. K2 came out for xmas 2004. Not wanting to rush things for what will probably be the third and final installment, they've decided to take their time and plan for xmas 2006. Releasing it any sooner or any later will cut into that golden window that is the american xmas holiday.

I don't know if anybody else has posted this before but this article posted March 8 on GameDaily.com speculates that Obsidian is making KotOR III for the XBOX 360. Hmmm, the rumors that Obsidian is developing K3 seem fairly persistent.

***DISCLAIMER: The below information may contain forward-looking statements, wild speculation, juicy gossip, rumor, innuendo, or rampant guessing. These statements are not guarantees of future performance and involve certain risks and uncertainties, which are difficult to predict, although they sure do sound good*** :D

LINK:

http://www.gamedaily.com/features/?id=922

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic III

One of the most successful Star Wars games of all time is heading to the next generation courtesy of Obsidian. The third installment of the series will expand on the somewhat lackluster second title and once again be exclusive to Microsoft. We've heard that Bioware has had very little involvement with the third title, but Obsidian has been clearly instructed to take their time and pump out a game that rivals the original in quality.

We don't expect Knights III to make an appearance at E3 2006, but the holiday season should bring around news on the next generation title. Expect it to pick up many years after Knights II with an entirely new cast of characters and even more force powers. Shifting your character between light and dark will also have a much more significant impact on the game.

Expect it to pick up many years after Knights II with an entirely new cast of characters and even more force powers.
Others will disagree with me, but I think that is best.

And since I am always right, that should end that debate right there. :)

^^^

If I may be the first to voice my disagreement. :D

I'm OK with an entirely new cast of characters with a story set many years after TSL but I want closure to the Revan/Exile/True Sith/Force Wound story that has been spun thus far. This doesn't mean I want all answers but enough to get at least some satisfaction from knowing the fate of Revan and the Exile to a large degree as well as what is going on with the "True Sith." Answers to the questions:

Why did Revan head off on his own to the Unknown Regions?

Why did the Exile decide to head off in search of Revan?

Do the "True Sith" still exist?

etc.

Others will disagree with me, but I think that is best.

And since I am always right, that should end that debate right there. :)

I wholehearted agree that we need a whole new cast of (non-droid:D) characters.

As for the force powers, I'm not sure how much more they can do. There are force powers created for TSL that I've never used. Not sure if adding more is really going to make things better. I wouldn't mind seeing some of the current powers rebalanced.

I wholehearted agree that we need a whole new cast of (non-droid:D) characters.

Definitely!!! HK and T3 are link to Revan and to what he found out about the sith. But i'd prefer cameos from older NPC's.

As for the force powers, I'm not sure how much more they can do. There are force powers created for TSL that I've never used. Not sure if adding more is really going to make things better. I wouldn't mind seeing some of the current powers rebalanced.

I agree with that too not all powers are used. Maybe add one force levitate where you can levitate things and throw at enemies just like any Jedi would do.

I don't mind droid characters, particularly T3 and HK. I wouldn't mind them being back, or something similar.

I totally agree with the Force powers. There are too many, and several don't really reflect what we see in the films. I would rather that there be fewer powers, but those powers would have more application. For example, a power something like "move object" could be used to pick things up, flick a switch, or push. And perhaps there could be more than three levels for each.

• 2 weeks later...

possibly some bad news on the way.

DONT READ IF YOUR HOPES ARE EASILY CRUSHED

:

:

:

:

:

:

On Obsidian's home page, they recently announced a partnership with SEGA to produce an origional next gen RPG. This means that either Obsidian is going to finish Neverwinter nights 2, while still working on KOTOR 3 AND start on this new project, (which is unlikely unless this is what they are hiring for, due to the small size of the company), or They are not going to be producing KOTOR 3.

FOR ALL YOU LAZY FOLKS, here is the announcement:

Deal Marks Another Milestone in Publisher's Western Growth Strategy

SAN FRANCISCO & LONDON (March 23, 2006) - SEGA® of America, Inc. and SEGA® Europe, Ltd. today announced a new partnership with Obsidian Entertainment, Inc., an entertainment software development studio based in Orange County, CA. Under the terms of the worldwide deal, SEGA and Obsidian will collaboratively develop an original role playing game (RPG) for PC, PlayStation®3 (PS3) and the Xbox 360™.

The deal signifies SEGA's continuing drive to produce high-quality Western content for current and next-generation consoles. Obsidian, best known for the hugely popular RPG Knights of the Old Republic™ 2: The Sith Lords, is also currently working on the much-anticipated sequel to Neverwinter Nights™.

"The development team at Obsidian has 'proven track record' stamped all over it," said Simon Jeffery, President and COO, SEGA of America, Inc. "When SEGA decided to create a fresh and captivating RPG franchise for new generations of hardware, we immediately knew who we wanted to work with."

"We are excited to be working with a great publisher like SEGA as they are willing and excited to launch new and visionary IP on next generation consoles," said Feargus Urquhart, CEO of Obsidian Entertainment, Inc. "At Obsidian, our focus is to make exceptional games and we see SEGA as a true partner in achieving that goal for our next epic RPG."

The deal is the latest in a string of similar announcements from SEGA that underscore the company's increased emphasis on Western content development. Previously, SEGA announced partnerships with developers Secret Level, Silicon Knights, Bizarre Creations, Monolith Productions (Condemned: Criminal Origins™), and Pseudo Interactive (Full Auto™). SEGA also acquired development powerhouse The Creative Assembly (Total War series) in 2005.

LINKIE

Who knows, maybe Obsidian can pull it off, but I don't think so.

Very interesting. Nice find, Mister Chief.

So what do we know then? Obsidian is developing Neverwinter Nights 2 and now they're going to be developing a new RP IP for Sega.

I don't know enough about video game development to know what can be inferred from the fact that Obsidian has two announced games they're working on now. What I do know is that Mr. Urquhart stated in an interview that he doesn't want Obsidian to grow into a big studio development house. If he holds to that then I think it unlikely Obsidian would be developing a third title at the same time as the other two. If the $ signs are looming large on his eyeballs though he may very well decide to expand Obsidian so they can take on simultaneous development of three titles. :giveup:

Obsidian's CEO said... (http://pc.ign.com/articles/684/684902p1.html)

Obsidian's currently staffing up. Feargus hopes to have over 100 people by the end of the year with an eventual goal of having around 120 to 140 people. That will allow them to have teams working on three different games. Ideally, one team will be working on the core concepts of a game while the other two will be in full production mode. Obsidian has also started a technology group that's working on a next generation engine that will be ready in 2007.

Obsidian Entertainment has 3 projects now.

- Neverwinter Nights 2 (Project Pennsylvania) in full production mode

- Project New Jersey: a new IP with an unannounced publisher, a next-gen console action RPG based on Unreal engine 3, in full production mode

- Project Georgia: a new IP with a publisher SEGA, in pre-production mode (working on core concepts)

btw, KotOR2's codename was 'Project Delaware'.

and LucasArts' E3 2006 plan (http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=9543)

New Indiana Jones Game To Be Shown At E3

LucasArts has sent out invites to press folks to show up at their E3 booth in May to try out their upcoming new games. One of the titles that they will show is their all new next-gen console Indiana Jones title which was first announced back in E3 2005 and will finally be shown for the first time in public at this year's expo. The press note also says that in addition to the Indy game and Lego Star Wars II, LucasArts will also be showing off "many other surprises that we'll unveil in the weeks leading up to E3"

Archived