Home

SWBF II = Messed Up! ("realism" debate)

PR-0927

Yeah, I'm beginning to see your point as a direct counter to the Jetpack's effectiveness anyway. Maybe if they replaced the Jetpack trooper with the Blaze Trooper. That'd be a lot better actually. Because it'd have the heavy armour but slow walking speed, so you'd need to fly mainly to get around, but have a flame thrower.

SORTED.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
About how these weapons are realistic. They are real but most of them are not totally perfected or they are so expensive that most companies don't use them. That or else they are hidden and i've never seen em

Right. Thats sort of what I'm trying to get at. The technology is there but already existing technology is better than what is being proposed. So using something which is new, but not as efficient, is just another form of downgrading one's self.

But as far as I'm concerned, about the topic of the electric gun, it's very much possible and perhaps in the Star Wars Universe it's better than a flamethrower. But theres just some other issues with it (IE: Not as visible as a flamethrower, could be mistaken for force lightning, haven't ever seen a lightning gun in any of the films or games.)

The closest I've seen as far as 'lightning guns' in Star Wars was that one time where R2-D2 shot a bolt out of it's little, uh, stickthingy..

That sounded wrong ;_;

:blubeam:

Here is one of <b>many</b> companies which are making laser based plasma weapons:

http://www.ionatron.com/default.aspx?id=7

'Lightning guns' are real and do exist. They are not science fiction.

Eh they are still stupid.

Theres also some other things being made like a gauss rifle which really does fire projectiles by using magnets. Sort of like some of the new generation rollercoasters coming out.

I think theres even an Ion Cannon which was made to shoot down nuclear warheads, but I've only seen it once. So it might be fake.

As for the lightning gun, I do think that is kind of ridiculous. I don't really know how, ah, useful a gun with short-ranged capabilities would be in a firefight as those presented in the Star Wars universe. The only possible application is for a heavy unit, which is armored, to force the enemy to engage in relative close combat so that the ranged forces, on the same side as those having to be sent in for close-combat, would be able to advance while the enemy concentrates on those up close.

Though I agree, an lightning gun in Star Wars is kind of ridiculous. It's powered by the Dark Side! ;P

Maybe if the jetpack commandos had flamethrowers. That would be a little more practical.

Also Zerted, that is a very interesting find. How did you come across this? I know that the United States was working, and showed off mind you, this laser beam weapon last year. It was this giant red dish turret which was mounted on a structure and actually could shoot down artillery shells.

Guess rifles as well as railguns are very interesting. I'm not sure but I have seen a weapon which would track a nuke or other long range weapons and use a photon laser to cause it to explode which might be what you are talking about.

I was not talking about the Jet troopers emp gun. That I can deal with. I mean the pilots "lightning gun.

Current 'Lightening guns' exist, but are not hand held or moblie. Until then, you will not hear much about them. The Jet Trooper's emp gun is also possible to be made with current day techonology:

1) You need some type of rocket lanucher.

2) It fires missles that have a EMP generator in its head (instead of explosives).

3) Using some type of radar/GPS/IR/Heat sensors, right before it impacts its target, the EMP generator goes on, thus causing an EMP to be created. Any non-shielded electronics will be fired.

The reason such a weapon does not exist: It would be much cheaper to just shield all electronics from EMP, then it would to design such a weapon, only to have the enemy shield all its electronics when word gets out the weapon is being developed.

Current laser weapons are laser mounted on planes to burn missiles' guidence systems so they crash without reaching their target, or heating up the missile's fuel till it explodes before reaching its target. There are ground based laser weapons to blind other enemies, but such weapons are banned by the Genova Convention.

Either way though, the lightning gun doesn't seem like a practical weapon, but rather just a 'wow its cool'.

I suppose thats a good enough reason to have it...I don't know. It just seems kind of silly to be running around, jetpacking all over the place..only to shoot tendrils of electricity at people.

Sort of like the hand-held chainguns in so many other FPS games?

I think what people are trying to say here is that some of these weapons don't "feel like they belong in Star Wars" for whatever reasons... whether you agree or not, in any case.

Yeah, that makes sense. Theres always room for change though.

As far as Star Wars goes though, I really don't know if at any point in the series there really is a gun like that. The only electro-weapon I remember is R2D2s little stun rod thing, as I said earlier.

The electrogun wouldn't really bother me if it just were a little bit visable. In a fire fight, with everything being so fast, it's just hard to see it.

As far as Star Wars goes though, I really don't know if at any point in the series there really is a gun like that. The only electro-weapon I remember is R2D2s little stun rod thing, as I said earlier.

That was actually an arc welder (in Star Wars they're not like real-life arc welders). I don't think it would be very effective running around with an arc welder shocking people. :p

Only if they are battery powered...

Speaking of which, that reminds me of that time this guy at work was firing his nail gun at people. What a nut.

Story time!

Can you tell us what happened? The full story, if possible. I don't think talking about here though would be right. Maybe in a new thread.

As for the current realism debate, yeah. I didn't know what weapon R2D2 had but thanks for clarifying with me what it was.

Isn't it kind of funny. In the Star Wars Universe, technology is obviously more advanced. You would think that if we (being more primitive) could shield electronics from EMP charges; you would think that the Confederate Systems would simply put the protective devices on the droids to make the clones' EMP grenades and launchers useless.

This is just more proof that Palpatine is controlling everything. He simply made Dooku promise to keep them from using that technology.

I can just picture the scene now:

Seperatist official: If we simply EMP shielded our forces, our chances of victory would be greatly increased, don't you...

Dooku (waves hands): No, there are too many of them.

Seperatist official: Excuse me?

Dooku (waves hands again): There are too many.

Seperatist official: Why is it that every time I get a good idea or suggest a sensible strategy, you start mumbling about there being too many. Huh???

Dooku (waves hands again): Far too many.

Seperatist official: What, just because you were some kinda Jedi, you think you can convince me by waving your hands around like that?

Dooku (waves hands once more): Sorry, too many.

Seperatist official: That's it, you're fired! Guar---

Dooku: I don't like the way this is going (quickly zaps the guy to death with lightning)

Dooku: Whew, that was close. *bzzzt* (comlink) please send up the next highest ranking official, I have to discuss something with him...

Archived