Home

Executive Producer for Halo Movie Signed

Zappa_0

Any way you slice it, I don't think this movie will do well. If Peter Jackson strays too far from the pop-liners "Yeah I kick butt. Give me a weapon." and ends up giving real dialog and story to the movie, he's gonna lose most of his halo-playing crowd. If he relents and lets it be a two hour action movie, then it'll be a regular blockbuster movie with no meaty plot.

I don't think any significant portion of halo players really expect the movie will be like a 2h FRAPS capture of the gameplay. 99% of people are smart enough to realise a movie is a movie and a game is a game.

There are lots of good action movies with not so phenomenal plots, like Terminator and Predator.

I think it's funny when people knock something that doesn't even have a director, screenplay, or actors yet.

You have NO idea how it will play out, merely preconcieved notions in your noggin, that could be 180 degrees away from what will actually happen.

Yeah... trying to discuss something that hasn't happened on an internet discussion board?!? What are you guys thinking???????

However I have a freidn in the future beaming me back information, so I can clearly state:

- They won't have Master Chief wear the helmet all the movie (see doom and judge dredd adaptions) and they wn't be able to make the armour look bulky enough so they will reduce it (see doom and judge dredd). (but not to lycra thank god!)

- halo fans on discussion forums will become obsessed with this and complain about it all the time.

- the plot form the games will take up about 10 minutes of screen time, so they will create a mostly new plot that only incorporates the basic elements of the games.

- A movie of a lone guy shooting stuff for two hours will be dull so they will give him companions.

- A movie without a distinctive "lead bad guy" is unlikely, so they will create one.

- The car battle scenes will rock.

not once did i say that my opinion is the only one that counts. this is a public access forum, and as far as i can see, your the one forcing your opinion, which is that i'm wrong, on everyone else.

Because you are.

so what if my opinion is flawed? it doesn't mean your "i'm always right" opinion needs to be forced on everyone else.

Oh. So When you want to say something, it's a public access forum. If I say something, I'm holding the forum hostage, and forcing my "always right" opinion on everyone. I see.

I dunno. There could be a lot of cinematic stuff involving Cortana, Keyes, and all that crew.

I imagine they would tell his story through a series of flashbacks where he doesn't talk. Which reminds me, who the heck are they gonna get to wear the suit?

I see you've read The Fall Of Reach. I think that would be an amazing way to tell that story. Even though Master Chief's back story is very similar to that of the movie Soldier, it would be interesting to see what a good director could do with this material. Personally, I think Luc Besson should direct this one.

I see you've read The Fall Of Reach.

I read the first chapter at a Border's the other day :p (I plan on purchasing the three volume set)

I think that flashbacks would be the best way to tell the story, considering that Cortana can't be in a little corner of the screen the whole time.

It'd be pretty interesting if they released both the next game and the movie on the same day, considering that the game would have a "movie tie in" instead of the normal game tie ins with movies.

Oh, and there is no way in hell that Bungie isn't working on a Halo 3 as we speak, because

Halo 2's climax was the final blow to Tartaruswhich occured at the very end of the game.

Hmm, I always considered the Halo plot to be one of the better video game plots I've seen. I really don't think there will be a problem making a good script for the movie. I mean, the game covered a lot.

I'm a little curious about the dialogue, though (like Tyrion mentioned). MC was never one for words, and it might not work well if they adapt that to the screen, but then again I don't think it would work if they totally changed the Chief and gave him a lot of lines. We'll see.

I can't believe it took so long to even mention Fall of Reach. And I hate when people dismiss this as going to suck or saying it's gonna rock. Well, here's a copy paste job to actually add some intelligent conversation here:

- Make it rated R for God's sakes or at least come out with an unrated version

on DVD. The game is M so it is intended for a mature audience anyways. We want violence complete with blood and guts and nasty yet real language.

- Animation as used in the Final Fantasy movie would be prefered with all the

game voice actors returning. If animation is not used, then at least the Chief

and Cortana should be the same as in the video game. Chief never takes his

helmet off, and Cortana can be CGI. Oh, and Samuel L. Jackson as Johnson :p

- Military is big in the game, but even more so in the books. It needs the

realism down to every last detail. They need to use the right ranks and

terminology, they have to use the right slang (that includes all the bad

language) and have realistic settings (or ones not straying too far from the

game which looked pretty decent). Sure, it's the future, but they aren't that

much more advanced than us. Their FTL drive, life support, and anti grav

generators seem to be the only big things they have we don't.

- The Chief can't be a god. Sure, he'll be the focus and kick butt, but c'mon

now. There were other Spartans who were around but they were killed. The Chief is human too (well, genetically altered and stuff, but human nonetheless). The book told of him having to actually struggle to get the job done.

- The music in the game was fantastic. The score probably needs to be worked on to fit the scenes and stuff, but the style and theme must remain. I'd like the same composer personally.

- Hand held cameras would be genius to use. It worked great in Saving Private Ryan/ Band of Brothers and it's present in the new BSG and I think it works quite well in there as well. Halo was revolutionary for the FPS so let's make Halo revolutionary for the sci fi genre of movies as well.

- Doom looks like it may very well suck no matter how much we want it to be good, but the FPS perspective is genius. The Halo movie should use it as well. Sure, it's ripping it off from Doom but hey, isn't the game (and every FPS) a rip off of Wolfenstein, Doom, and Dark Forces to some extent? The FPS perspective would be somewhat different given perhaps you'd see through the eyes of the Chief. That means through the visor with HUD and all. Some glow in the dark Covenant blood splashing onto it after pistol whipping some grunts to a pulp would be good to :p

- Deep characters more so than they even were in the game. Bring us a tale as deep and complex as the novels (Keyes is an awesome man you hardly knew in the video game; read the books and then you'll be ticked when he dies!) were along with the excitement of the video game (nonstop shotgun rounds to a swarm of flood, for instance).

Some people argued about a scene of FPS perspective at EB. I think it's a neat idea though. Obviously it wouldn't be used throughout, nor for every action sequence. I haven't seen Doom yet. I suppose the transition to use it would be impossible to find and it'd feel forced. But remember the camera feed of Jenkins (99.9% that was the guy's name) as he and his men encountered the Flood? That was tense stuff....

- Make it rated R for God's sakes or at least come out with an unrated version

on DVD. The game is M so it is intended for a mature audience anyways. We want violence complete with blood and guts and nasty yet real language.

Seems unlikely. I don't remember Halo being parrticularly gorey, and they are sure to want a teen audience for this one. Considering the gore in the battle scenes in PG movies like LOTR etc.. its shouldn't be a problem.

- Animation as used in the Final Fantasy movie would be prefered with all the

game voice actors returning. If animation is not used, then at least the Chief

and Cortana should be the same as in the video game. Chief never takes his

helmet off, and Cortana can be CGI.

Animation would change the whole ballgame, but i've heard no rumours that is how they plan to do it, so for now i'm assuming live action.

99% sure the chief will take his helmet off.

- Military is big in the game, but even more so in the books. It needs the realism down to every last detail.

Doing it that way, as a scifi version of a serious war film, would make it stand out from all the other sci-fi movies.

- The music in the game was fantastic.

Personally I thought it was generic sci-fi aliens rip off... so i doubt i'd notice any difference.

- Hand held cameras would be genius to use. It worked great in Saving Private Ryan/ Band of Brothers and it's present in the new BSG and I think it works quite well in there as well. Halo was revolutionary for the FPS so let's make Halo revolutionary for the sci fi genre of movies as well.

Agreed.

- Doom looks like it may very well suck no matter how much we want it to be good, but the FPS perspective is genius. The Halo movie should use it as well. ... That means through the visor with HUD and all. Some glow in the dark Covenant blood splashing onto it after pistol whipping some grunts to a pulp would be good to :p

Until i've seen if it works in doom i'm undecided. If they can make it work it should be great... but the clips i've seen from doom seemed too smooth and slow... they need the FPS to be more like the handheld. Though that might give you headaches after a while.

- Deep characters more so than they even were in the game.

I haven't read the novels, but there weren't any deep characters in Halo the game. Almost no characterisation at all infact beyond "one liner action hero", "hot computer sidekick" and "gruff commanding officer" stereotypes.

MC shouldn't take off his helmet. It sucked when I saw Jango Fett and learned Boba is an exact clone of the guy. I'm over it, but still! He takes it off in the book and in the game, you just don't see it.

Oh, and the characters are great in the novels and I agree, they're pretty bland in the games. Doya know what the Chief's name is? Or his number? He's John, Spartan 117 or something like that. Just little things like that and the banter between him and Cortana were done well enough.

And as for the R thing, I guess I'm just thinking language. When bullets are flying over your head, you don't say oh darn!

Archived