Home

Order of Jedi Knight games

Great Scott!

Okay, this is really confusing me, can somebody help me? I used to think there were only two Jedi Knight games:

Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy

Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

But now I'm hearing all this stuff about games like "Dark Forces II" and stuff. Help please? Can someone tell me all the games in the series, their order, and which consoles they were released on? Thanks.

It's the 3rd game in the Jedi Knight series but it's not Jedi Knight III. I think they're just trying to shake the sequel thing and make out as if the games can be played individualy rather than in order. Or something.

Dark Forces is available on PC and the PSX.

Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight/Mysteries of the Sith is on PC.

Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast is available on PC/GameCube and X-Box

Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy is available on PC and X-Box.

Jedi Academy is the ... greatest.

BZZZZT. WRONG.

Jedi Knight/MotS had a better flowing story, more unique characters and locations (we didn't have to visit a movie location for half of the game), much larger mod community, was more immersive, and even had bigger maps. It was slightly ahead of the technology for its time. JA doesn't even come close to these standards; it only beats JK with it's saber system, multiplayer, and graphics--all qualities that are based on the abilities of engine technology and not quality of the product.

it only beats JK with it's saber system, multiplayer, and graphics
Multiplayer was possible at the time of the making of this game, even LAN. So unless you're just saying that the multiplayer's worse in some way (and multiplayer is usually the best thing in games and shouldn't be taken lightly), keep in mind they could've implemented it if they wanted.

EDIT: Wait, actually, now that I think about it, there's no reason they couldn't have made the saber system the same or better as JA at the time of the making either. They could've done anything they wanted with the sabers as long as it's possible (and I've played Jedi Academy, and there's nothing I noticed couldn't have been done when JK/MOTS were being made).

The only thing I don't like about Jedi Academy are the crazy admins in some of the servers. Like the TFFA I just joined... I joined the red team, and instantly got ambushed by three blues. After killing them all flawlessly, one of them says "omg kick him hes too good". And I get kicked. <_< Annoying.

Got you beat Zero:

Some guy was grip-kicking people, and that is the most horrifyingly obnoxious lamer move evar created, right. So I went Light Side powers and put 3 ranks in Absorb. He couldn't grip me anymore so he was like 'he's cheating!' and I got IP banned.

Some guy was grip-kicking people, and that is the most horrifyingly obnoxious lamer move evar created, right. So I went Light Side powers and put 3 ranks in Absorb. He couldn't grip me anymore so he was like 'he's cheating!' and I got IP banned.

He should know something about the game before starting to accuse people for cheating!

Multiplayer was possible at the time of the making of this game, even LAN. So unless you're just saying that the multiplayer's worse in some way (and multiplayer is usually the best thing in games and shouldn't be taken lightly), keep in mind they could've implemented it if they wanted.

JK and MotS had functional multiplayer with DM and CTF. That's not the point, though.

And kyle katarn shows up in all the games of the jedi knight serie?

That is correct. In fact JA is the first game in the series where you couldn't play as Kyle in Single Player (except with cheats of course!). He's an NPC in the game instead.

With regards to Jedi Outcast multiplayer, it's totally inaccurate to say "nobody" plays it online. While JA normally has 500-1000+ people playing online at any given time, JK2 has less than that, but still a good healthy 300-700+ players. That's according to All-Seeing Eye, and while that's not a huge number, it's still something. You should have no trouble finding a game to play unless you live in a very obscure part of the world, but even then if you are willing to put up with a little lag, you should be set (though if you're stuck overseas with dial-up and no gamer friends or nearby LAN cafe's, I guess you're stuck).

The JK2 community is far larger than say, the Star Wars Battlefront community (26 servers) or the Republic Commando community, 15-18 servers.

As far as Mysteries of the Sith, yes it's a small community. Only one dedicated server I know of exists, but then the game wasn't built for dedicated servers out of the box and they were never officially supported (ditto for JK1). You have to find somebody with a similar interest and setup a game. You can host a game through Qtracker, but sadly since so few people realize it's supported in Qtracker, they probably won't be checking to see your game there (other Qtracker users can see your game). But MotS and JK1 didn't normally handle huge groups of players well (beyond 8 was virtually impossible online, though on a LAN you could go higher), so getting a person to fight with isn't impossible, though it won't be instantaneous either, so have patience.

GameSpyArcade has a feature that let's you search for people with it installed, so you may want to try that in addition to Qtracker. Good luck!

Yeah, the SWBF2 beta has going for it that it's free (now anyway). All one needs is the patience to download 1.01 gigs and an email address to use to sign up for a free fileplanet/GS account.

I think the guy was trying to say that nobody ever played JK/MotS online, which is simply untrue. Tons of people played it, and played it for a long long time. You know how obsessed some people are with Counter Strike? That's how obsessed many of us were from 1997-2002. Once JK2 came out, the numbers pretty much dried up, though they were dwindling in late 2001 (though kept alive thanks to many great Episode I based mods, after the failure of Obi-Wan on the Xbox).

I think JK was actually one of (if not the) biggest non-Microsoft commercial online game on the MSN Gaming Zone. This thanks to their lucrative long-term exclusive deal with LucasArts (which I think sucked, but I guess it worked out for the big wigs!). The Microsoft games like AOE were bigger of course, and so were free games like Spades, but JK was huge, back in the day. And that was just the Zone. JK.net's IP board was the biggest fan community based on that existed (until 2001 when it disappeared thanks to some corrupted code, and the guy who set it up for us left, so he couldn't fix it).

We never had the large numbers of the Quake series online, but then few games have numbers that big. The small numbers for online games like we've seen for SWBF1, Republic Commando, etc. is actually pretty typical for online games.

Except for the big name games like the Quake/UT series, and a Counter Strike & Medal of Honor, and of course all the MMORPG's (except for failures like WWII Online), most games don't get that big of numbers. Even great fun games. It really depends on which ones get dedicated server distros for operating systems like linux, and thus can easily be embraced by dedicated server providers for an affordable price. That's your foot in the door. A lot of these otherwise decent online games that failed to achieve the huge numbers have one thing in common... they don't have a linux dedicated server distribution available.

The MMORPG's are a category apart, because basically if you play the game, you are playing online, period. Plus you have to pay to play, so they can afford to advertise and expand more. They thus don't rely on fans to create servers to play on (and in fact in most cases they try to shut down fan based servers).

Archived