Home

Star Wars TV Series News [spoiler tags]

Windu Chi

Its canon read the last three republic comics.

I understand it's in the comics - what I meant was, does George agree with that or not? He's overruled things in the comics before.

And no, I'm not going to read the comics just to see if he's still alive - I'll take your word for it. It'll be a cold day in hell before I read a Star Wars comic book, although I've heard they've gone up in quality since that travesty known as Dark Empire.

Oh, and don't get me started on SuperShadow, Kurgan. He reminds me of all those people that claim they were the "5th Beatle."

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its canon read the last three republic comics.

I understand it's in the comics - what I meant was, does George agree with that or not? He's overruled things in the comics before.

And no, I'm not going to read the comics just to see if he's still alive - I'll take your word for it. It'll be a cold day in hell before I read a Star Wars comic book, although I've heard they've gone up in quality since that travesty known as Dark Empire.

Oh, and don't get me started on SuperShadow, Kurgan. He reminds me of all those people that claim they were the "5th Beatle."

Ecthelion, The Clone Wars comics are excellent, and alot of the EU in the SW Databank (canon) is from comics.

The main reason I haven't tried to read any of the comics (besides not being a comics fan) is because of the whole "die and come back 17 times" thing that's so common in comics. After looking at various online sources on Durge and Asajj Ventress, I know I couldn't read those comics and retain any measure of realism. In my book, when people die, they stay dead. I don't care how powerful your "regenerative" powers are, blowing up = dead.

The Star Wars books I have read have all had believable characters, although I should note that I've only read a few of the books. I have heard that there is out-of-character - and otherwise unrealistic - stuff going on in some of them, like Boba Fett surviving the Sarlacc. Please don't bother showing me that I'm wrong about Fett - I consider that part of the EU "apocryphal" (I can just imagine it's some other bounty hunter impersonating Fett :p).

http://www.theforce.net/topstory/story/Star_Wars_Television_Shows_97662.asp

nothing really new except it mentions that they want to do 100 episodes. I think this is kinda ambitious since they haven't even made one episode yet and don't know if it will get the ratings to support 100 episodes. Also if they plan only to do 100 episodes, that may mean about 4 - 5 seasons if they follow the standard of ~20 episodes a season. Also for people who stop reading when they see the show will be in 3-D needing 3-D glasses, scroll to the end of the article and see that they were talking about redoing the movies in 3-D at the same time causing the confusion. Also I'm kinda afraid that they are going to try to do something that may cost 20 million to do right for only 1 million. I hope they don't cut too many corners and it looks like a really bad B movie.

Just a reminder, the SW Databank really isn't itself canon (we've never been told this), only the movie section is a summary of things that are accepted as canon, but is under constant revision, assuming it is accurately written in the first place. Likewise the EU stuff is canon (C-level) also assuming it was accurately translated. The behind the scenes stuff is a gray area, since it may or may not have anything to do with how the movies and EU stuff fit together in the current continuity. To see a more reliable and comprehensive source for determining canon continuity stuff (and no, it's not wikicities), check out The Holocron.

100 episodes isn't an unreasonable goal. The goal of any tv (non mini) series is to get the minimum number of episodes commonly required for syndication rights, which I believe is 100. That doesn't mean they really will get 100 episodes, only that this is the minimum goal for the show to survive long term on the tube. It all depends really. Some shows have been cancelled after only a handful of episodes being aired, while others stretch on for years, despite poor quality. Look at some of the later Star Treks, that stretched on for years after they were past their prime. Once they crossed that magical 100 episodes mark they got more leway. I don't know how it all works, but that's what I've read anyway. Hype for Star Wars was at an all time high, but I'm not sure that they will be able to keep it up until the show is actually ready. Now that the movies are done, are two tv shows (one of which is a rehash of an existing microseries) and 3-D re-releases of the movies in theaterse really enough to guarentee high ratings?

I'm certain that a lot of people will probably watch the pilot, but after that it's anyone's guess. If it's bad, it'll only be watched by a small group of hardcore, diehard fans. And it's been demonstrated time and again that a big budget, but mediocre series can't survive on the viewership of a small hardcore group for long. Even good series's have been cancelled for various reasons. So Lucas is taking a big risk with the tv series, perhaps even moreso than with a movie, which is more or less a one shot deal and can have a life on the home market (much harder to market a season box set as is so commonly done, which will cost the consumer a lot more to buy, meaning they'll have to be a much bigger fan). On the other hand TV shows can spread by word of mouth and that sort of thing, so sometimes they get free advertising (moreso than a single movie).

We'll wait and see. It could go either way, but TV shows for a popular franchise always risk running it into the ground since they need to keep coming up with new material to keep it fresh.

My advice to Lucas is to have as much of the series planned out in advance as possible, have a writer's bible and stick to it. Put competent people in charge, not just "yes-men" and people who want to imitate the latest "kewl" stuff in entertainment these days. The formulaic, deus ex machina type stuff so characteristic of latter day Star Trek would not be a good model to follow. Unfortunately, Lucas himself seems to be the type of guy to want to constantly re-invent his stuff (and has he ever done a tv series? I don't think he has, only smaller specials, few of which have been successful), so I guess he should get the best people he can in charge of this show.

• 1 year later...

lolz.... now that Im back - I can keep this thread chugging along !!

IESB.net managed to catch GL on his way to an awards ceremony - Gave up some info on the TV series - including the name of a new character in the animated TV series:

Osoka - a padawan, the same species as Shaak Ti

More confusingly, GL described the live action series as:

"... one show that's going to be split up into four shows. Each show focuses on a different character."

Two things he said I really liked:

"SW is not dead...its going to get bigger and better"

When questioned if there will be a Ep 7, 8 , 9.

"No....the skywalkers are done"

Hopefully that will shut alot of people up....nothing is more annoying than people who say they "heard that GL is making 7-9" but never state their source....

video is HERE

finally, here is a pic that came into circulation with the new line of SW toys previewed... believed to be a pic of the CG Yoda from the animated series... Im not spoiler tagging it as we know who yoda is !! Pic from TFN/Rebelscum

0008673.jpg

Finally, as mentioned in the interview....there is a strong rumour that there will be a preview of the animated series at the C4 Celebration... Too bad I dont live in the US :(

mtfbwya

What do you very strong Star Wars fans out there think of a

Knights of the Old Republic tv series? The reason I ask because I

believe extreme Star Wars fans had always wanted a Star Wars

tv series. Well since Episode 3:Revenge of the Sith is supposably

to be the last film as George Lucas claim, why not have a tv

series.:cool:

It has been confirmed for a release for around 2009. I'm a great Star Wars fan, but if "Blade - The Series" is anything to go by, then i won't hold my breath. However if the TV show is successful, George Lucas himself has suggested that he may move the series to different eras of the Expanded Star Wars Universe, possibly indicating a Kotor series sometime in the future.

MORE INFO:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_live-action_TV_series

.....George Lucas himself has suggested that he may move the series to different eras of the Expanded Star Wars Universe, possibly indicating a Kotor series sometime in the future....

lolz. :p

hmm...lets see - a wiki article written by a fanboy vs an interview with GL himself(see my link above). I wonder which is a more credible source!

In that very interview GL said a firm no to EU material being made into anything specific. He says that they use EU as 'an inspiration' (ie. characters, names, places). Since KOTOR era stuff has been covered in the games and comics, this one must be a longshot. It is really difficult to call what GL is interested apart from Clone Wars/Civil Ware era stuff. He has never mentioned anything specific about this in any source. He did write about Bane in teh TPM novelisation, but that was backstory to explain why the sith had disappeared for the last 1000 years.

lets just see how these series go first :p

mtfbwya

• 2 years later...
Who else here really wants it to have Quinlan Vos in it?

I'm not sure where I heard it or read it , but talk is that Vos may be in the series in some shape or form after all. Which would of course cause his deleted death in Episode III too never be incorporated in the motion picture.

Archived