Home

A video game movie? Done right?

IG-64

Could it be?

"Maybe the question is: will Silent Hill make game designers more comfortable? Guys like Uwe Boll have done a lot of damage, and I don't know that one good game adaptation will undo all of it."

These guys look pretty authentic. Maybe they'll actually make a good live-action video game movie, finally.

Well, it says it was made by gamers. Hollywood directors normally screw up VG movies. Im still waiting to hear some details about the Soul Calibur movie (movie rights bought, but no other info provided)

The usual problem is, is that there is so much info/action in a video game that its impossible to put it all in a movie. This calls for a new storyline, which if it isn't written by the game's creator, or normal writer, it tends to suck, or just not feel right...

The usual problem is, is that there is so much info/action in a video game that its impossible to put it all in a movie.

I don't think that would be a problem. They make great movies based off of books all the time. And some books can have days worth of constant information in them.

I still think that Deus Ex is the only VG that needs to be made into a film, it had just about the best plot ever, nothing much would have to be rewriten just take out some of the more irrelivant missions and you have the plot for a film, most of the dialogue has already been writen aswell.

I put all my hope on the Halo movie. If it fails, I walk away and never look back.

Problem with video game movies, is that they focus too much on action sequences from the games, rather than on the characters that put the action into play. This is the same mistake they make with every damn video game movie they ever make. Squeeze in too much action/crappy cgi, and skimp on the storyline. If they would actually MAKE a MOVIE based on video game, instead of a 90 minute video game trailer, it might actually work. Halo will make or break this viscous cycle. As long as the 12-14 year old audience keeps shelling out $10 per ticket, it will never stop. Marketing rules everything.

I still think that Deus Ex is the only VG that needs to be made into a film, it had just about the best plot ever, nothing much would have to be rewriten just take out some of the more irrelivant missions and you have the plot for a film, most of the dialogue has already been writen aswell.

Ummm... Metal Gear Solid... oh, and that doesn't suck (for sith... I havn't played Deus Ex, so I wouldn't know) but yeah, MGS already has the plot in cutscenes, good enough CG for a movie (in twin snakes, not the 1998 PS1 version), so all they need are some cg action boss battles... cut some idle chatter down, and you have an easy 3 hour movie. They did it with Snake Eater. :)

EDIT: for example, you could probably cut the tank out, and for codec convo snake can infiltrate while listening/talking in his codec.... you know, listen to campbell while sneaking through the snow into the tank hanger, and grab some of the guards, strangle them, get some guns... sneak through the hallways while the codec parts are delivered...

Thats how they should have done it in game, rather than the screen with two faces and subtitles... but whatever.

I hope this turns out good as well, all the silent hill games are just brilliant.

And if they f*** up halo, there is no hope. Peter Jackson, the same visual effects studio as LotR, and Bungie actually helping out with the project. I mean, it can't get much better than that.

But I mean, Halo works well as a game, but whose to say it will make a good movie? I mean the main focus of the Halo games is in fact the action sequences, same with most first-person shooters - take Doom for instance, the film looks like it's going to be a complete noise-fest from start to finish.

I supposed I'm a little biased though, since I'm not a huge Halo fan. But as for Silent Hill, I freakin' love the series, it's always scared the pants off me, and I'm going to be so disappointed if they take the Resi Evil route and overload it with CGI and guns. It has the possibility to be a geniunely intelligent and frightening movie experience. I'm praying it's not going to suck.

"made by gamers" yeah...right...

Everytime one of these movies gets made they always trot out the actors and directors to say how "they were great fans of the game" and "they have all played it" etc... Its usually complete rubbish. They said the same thing for Resident Evil, but that bore NO resemblance to the game at all. Even Uwe Boll says he loves and respects the original games.

Usually they mean that they were given a copy of the game once they got the job abd were told to play it. But they didnt really get it.

The problem with game adaptions is they almost always pick the wrong games. Games like Doom, Halo, House of the Dead, Soul Calibur, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat are action games with no original setting or plot... so basically all they are buying is the name-recognition value.

Then they make a genre film (sci-fi, zombie, martial arts) and just stick on the name and a few character names.

Often the game makers have basically created a game version of popular movies and fiction anyway, so when you just convert it back to a movie you end up with an even more generic version of the original game influences.

Mortal Kombat, SF2, Soul Calibur = People Fight

Doom, Halo = People in space fight aliens

Even Deus Ex (which is a great game) could be called an amalgamation of loads of other sci-fi influences and is basically "guy in dystopian future fights government conspiracies" which has been done 100s of times before. (think Serenity meets blade runner) Still, I think Deus Ex at least has enough depth that it could be made into a decent film.

I haven't played Silent Hill, but it sounds like the sort of game that might have enough depth to work. But might it come off just like another Ring/Grudge style movie?

The one game that stands out to me as having a unique enough style, plot and setting to make a non-genre movie is the Thief Series. "Thief in mystical/techno/ancient world" hasn't been done before in a movie to my knowledge.

The question people should ask when making game-to-film adaptions isn't "how good is the game" or "what is my fave game" or even "how popular is the game". Its "is the essence of the game something original that will work as a movie".

Deus Ex (the original, not the execrable sequel) categorically does not 'suck'. It is flawed, yes, but so are most other games. IMHO it's one of the better games ever made (on PC), and certainly is in my top 5 favourites.

Whether or not it would make a good movie is debatable because there was so much going on in the game that it would be difficult to condense it into a 2 hour experience.

I have to agree that most movie adaptations of video games so far have been far too reliant on whizz bang 'speshul fx' with plots that could be written on the back of a postage stamp and far too little (if any) character development. Mind you, that's true of 90% of the other stuff coming out of Hollywood these days. I'm beginning to think that people in Hollywood have simply lost the art of film making these days, and need to go back and watch some true classics to see how it should be done. That, or watch some of the independent films (including those from other countries).

If they're right about the Doom movie being a 'faithful adaptation' of the Doom 3 game, then good luck to them, because I didn't think the game was all that great. In fact, it became monotonous and boring after about the first hour of play, and I still haven't finished it.

I agree with you here. If there's any game that needs to be made into a film, Deus Ex would be my number one selection. It would be even better if it has the Matrix effects in it.

But like Sith said, no game needs to be turned into a movie. Games are games and movies and movies. Most conversions suck.

I put a thread up about Doom as the reviews are starting to come in. Doesn't look good so far. http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=154104

The interesting thing if you read a lot of the reviews is that they all say its very generic, cliched and almost all of them call it a Aliens or Resident Evil rip-off.

I think shows what I was trying to say about how if they pick games that have generic settings (often derived from movies themselves) then the resulting movie often feels like a generic version of the movies that inspired the original games.

It soulds like they got a lot of the little details right for Doom (computers, weapons, door sounds) but the actual substance of the movie (and infact the game) is nothing unique. So it doesn't add up to much...

I still think games with complex storylines would do fine. Games like Doom and halo just won't cut it.

Games with stories like KOTOR, Metal Gear Solid, and Max Payne would do fine as a movie. Why? Because they have an equal balance of story and action. Its not just mindless bloodshed, they incorporate a real story into it that has some depth, plot twists and character development. ;) Those are all requirements of a GOOD movie.

Archived