Home

Getting a Game Cube...

Darth Groovy

On my discount, I can get a Nintendo Game Cube for $50 plus tax. Sure, there are not ALOT of titles out on this thing, but I wanted to expand my horizon beyond PC and XBOX. I'm holding out for the next gen Playstation system, because the current PS2s seem to have waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many defects according to the hundreds of customers I wait on a daily basis.

Nintendo fans rejoice, i'm finally crossing over to the light side! Some of the games that perked my interest, like Metroid Prime, for example is selling used for a whole $4.99. Why the hell not?

Titles I know I want for sure include:

Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

Resident Evil 4

The Rogue Squadron series

Bounty Hunter

Super Smash Bros Melee

Yes, i'm calling out to the Nintendo fans, any suggestions?

lol, GCNs are so cheap these days I feel that people who don't get one have something wrong with them. I mean cheap gaming, come on!

Firstly, if you can get your hands on an older GCN with the Digital Video port then try to get your hands on the Component Cable from somewhere (this port was removed on newer GCNs to try to reduce the price and cause the GCN wasn't selling as well as they hoped.) It's worth it if you have a larger TV, though if you play your games on a small TV then don't worry about it.

gcn09.jpg4e5538c8-8068-4955-ab07-c49a3e3614ad.jpg

Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2 Echoes are both really good, don't expect them to feel anywhere near like an FPS though aside from the First Person perspective.

Resident Evil 4 is good,

Rogue Leader is great, Rebel Strike is a little more arcadey than RS2 but the best part is the Coop and Versus modes.

Bounty Hunter is already on the Xbox and PS2 isn't it?

Super Smash Bros. Melee best with 3 other people, get yourself another 3 controllers and some friends (i'm sure you have plenty :p) and you'll have a blast beatin the crap out of Nintendo characters.

Get The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess when it comes out, and I'm not saying that just cause I can't wait for it, it does look like a generally enjoyable game for anyone. XD I'm not sure you'd go for The Wind Waker simply cause of the cel shading though, a lot of people seem to be turned off by that.

If you do a lot of multiplayer gaming with friends then Mario Kart: Double Dash will be good. IMO it's not as good as Mario Kart 64 but it's still fun.

Geist if you want an FPS game you can't get on the PS2 and Xbox.

Killer 7 is good.

Pikmin and Pikmin 2 come on, don't let the name or the supposed kiddiness get to ya, it's a hellova strategy game that Shiggy has come up with. Pikmin 2 has even more options with a co-op mode too.

and um... well that's all i can think of at the moment.

I would suggest Zelda: Windwaker.

I didn't like the direction they went with the graphics, but once I got into the game, I hardly noticed. It was Zelda!

They also have Zelda: Ocarina of Time on GC. Not as good as playing on the 64, IMO, but still worth a look.

Lastly, I'm very exited about Zelda: Twilight Princess.

Other than Zelda, you have a pretty good list, I think.

EDIT: posted same time as Lynk. Id say thats a +2 for Zelda!

I bought a gamecube on the first day of its release. I was so proud, it was the last one at circuit city. My personal favorites are Super Smash Brothers and Rogue Leder/Rebel Strike. RE4 is a given. I have Metroid Prime 1 and 2, and I don't really care for them that much, my brother really likes them though. Mario Kart doubledash is fun if you've got friends with gamecubes. Oh, and get Windwaker, the Zelda pack with ocarina of time, majora's mask, and the old ones. Also get Super Mario Sunshine. It rocks.

lol, GCNs are so cheap these days I feel that people who don't get one have something wrong with them. I mean cheap gaming, come on!

Firstly, if you can get your hands on an older GCN with the Digital Video port then try to get your hands on the Component Cable from somewhere (this port was removed on newer GCNs to try to reduce the price and cause the GCN wasn't selling as well as they hoped.) It's worth it if you have a larger TV, though if you play your games on a small TV then don't worry about it.

gcn09.jpg4e5538c8-8068-4955-ab07-c49a3e3614ad.jpg

Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2 Echoes are both really good, don't expect them to feel anywhere near like an FPS though aside from the First Person perspective.

Resident Evil 4 is good,

Rogue Leader is great, Rebel Strike is a little more arcadey than RS2 but the best part is the Coop and Versus modes.

Bounty Hunter is already on the Xbox and PS2 isn't it?

Super Smash Bros. Melee best with 3 other people, get yourself another 3 controllers and some friends (i'm sure you have plenty :p) and you'll have a blast beatin the crap out of Nintendo characters.

Get The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess when it comes out, and I'm not saying that just cause I can't wait for it, it does look like a generally enjoyable game for anyone. XD I'm not sure you'd go for The Wind Waker simply cause of the cel shading though, a lot of people seem to be turned off by that.

If you do a lot of multiplayer gaming with friends then Mario Kart: Double Dash will be good. IMO it's not as good as Mario Kart 64 but it's still fun.

Geist if you want an FPS game you can't get on the PS2 and Xbox.

Killer 7 is good.

Pikmin and Pikmin 2 come on, don't let the name or the supposed kiddiness get to ya, it's a hellova strategy game that Shiggy has come up with. Pikmin 2 has even more options with a co-op mode too.

and um... well that's all i can think of at the moment.

Bounty Hunter is only on the Cube and the PS2. Again, i'm avoiding the PS2 system right now for good measure. Most Gamecube owners have little problems, seems to be a pretty sturdy system.

Geist is good huh?

I tried both Metroid Prime games on the demo station at work, seems like all the classic elements of the old Metroid game is in tact, but the graphics are breath taking. I have also heard that calling it a FPS is selling it short. Even though I didn't have the gamecube, I watched all the threads that were posted about Metroid Prime with much interest. Twilight Princess......let's just hope the wait is worth it. The trailer looked amazing. Speaking of trailers......the one for Resident Evil 4 had me hooked right away. I stopped playing Resident Evil games after Resident Evil 2 on the PSX. From what I hear, you can pick up on part 4 without missing anything at all. Reviews across the board on that one were very high.

What is Pikmin about? Graphics and material don't really turn me off, it's gameplay that keeps me coming back. Look at Advance Wars, one look and it looks rediculous, but once you start playing, you just can't put it down.

Bounty Hunter is only on the Cube and the PS2.

Really? That's surprising and kinda wierd...

Geist is good huh?

It's not uber #1 material but it's caught enough interest because it's not your plain old FPS type.

I tried both Metroid Prime games on the demo station at work, seems like all the classic elements of the old Metroid game is in tact, but the graphics are breath taking. I have also heard that calling it a FPS is selling it short. Even though I didn't have the gamecube, I watched all the threads that were posted about Metroid Prime with much interest.

It's amazing how well Retroi Studios made Prime 1 and 2... but what will REALLY be interesting will be Metroid Prime 3 on the Revolution... I don't need to tell you why either lol.

What is Pikmin about? Graphics and material don't really turn me off, it's gameplay that keeps me coming back. Look at Advance Wars, one look and it looks rediculous, but once you start playing, you just can't put it down.

Pikmin - http://cube.ign.com/objects/016/016510.html

Pikmin 2 - http://cube.ign.com/objects/496/496779.html

Definitely, DEFINITELY get Metroid Prime. Loved that game. And I've never played any of the older ones, so this isn't Biased-Fan-Speech.

Re Zelda: I didn't play Wind Waker, but I loved the port of Ocarina of Time. Granted, I never played the original. (It comes with a "Master Quest", too, that apparently wasn't part of the original OoT.)

It's been long enough since I played a GC that I can't remember what else was good on it that I actually played...

(Well, Enter the Matrix, but you probably either have it for PC/XBox or don't want it.)

Ew.

Never speak of that horror of the SF name. :p

They made him all....primal and ugly....and took off his cool helmet and clothing and replaced it with crappy stuff.

:(

Plus the game was a total rip of Zelda. :p

Eh.

I didn't say it was amazing, but it can usually be found pretty cheap, and by the time he's gone through everything else on these lists it might start to look good. Not being a StarFox fanboy I thought it was OK, if a little short. A fun little game you could probably get through in a weekend.

It's hardly like I've never played a game that wasn't a rip-off of something else before. But if a game can keep you entertained for a couple of hours, does it have to be super-groundbreaking?

Eh.

I didn't say it was amazing, but it can usually be found pretty cheap, and by the time he's gone through everything else on these lists it might start to look good. Not being a StarFox fanboy I thought it was OK, if a little short. A fun little game you could probably get through in a weekend.

It's hardly like I've never played a game that wasn't a rip-off of something else before. But if a game can keep you entertained for a couple of hours, does it have to be super-groundbreaking?

Not being a SF fanboy >_>

+ They even ripped the same CONTROL SCHEME as Zelda. Wondered to myself when Ganondorf was going to show up. :p

But yeah ok, I will admit it was fairly fun. :p

Starfox Adventures was originally Dinosaur Planet, remember, it wasn't originally a Starfox game but an original game from Rare. The only reason it suddenly turned to Starfox was cause Rare had just been bought by Microsoft and Nintendo still wanted the game exclusively on their system.

Starfox Adventures was originally Dinosaur Planet, remember, it wasn't originally a Starfox game but an original game from Rare. The only reason it suddenly turned to Starfox was cause Rare had just been bought by Microsoft and Nintendo still wanted the game exclusively on their system.

I know.

One of the lines in the game "Why can't I use my blaster?" "You'll hurt the environment!"

:|

What? :p

Star Fox assualt was pretty decent, back to the good old arwing and landmaster, as well as on foot stuff. Its really short though (I think only 9 levels... ) :-\

Don't forget Metal Gear Solid :-p

Also, Soul Calubur II is best on the GCN. Link rocks... amazing game, also good for parties, and get togethers.

I wanted Bounty Hunter at first but heard it sucked :-\ Plus I couldn't find it, and now im not interested. You'll have to try it for yourself.

If you want Zelda, get that golden edition, the one with OoT, MQ, and MM! I think it has some old 2D zeldas aswell! Its a bit more than the Master Quest, but hey... its worth it.

Anyways, now is the best time to buy consoles, prices are dropping, and people are trading in tons of games because they want the Xbox 360... so.. yeah, prices will drop, and there will be an abundance of games.

Windwaker was good, the graphics are definately well done and grow on you. It gets great at the end.

But getting Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask is even better... unless of course you have already played them.

Eternal Darkness is Excellent. Kinda like Resident Evil, but better controls and just better.

Metroid Prime took a short while to grow on me, until I realised it was a platform/puzzle game NOT an FPS. Once you play it like that it is great (though I did get a tiny bit fed up of the backtracking towards the end) and it did take me ages to complete. So i haven't moved on to Echoes yet.

F-Zero GX rocks, and looks gorgeous.

I want to get Resident Evil 4 and Tales of Symphonia, but they are too expensive at the moment.

If you like hardcore old-style games then get Ikagura. And Viewtiful Joe is excellent, though I don't think its exclusive anymore.

If you have mates then get Warioware or Zelda 4 swords.

If you look second hand you can pick up the remade Resident Evil games dirt cheap, and at that price they are probably worth a look if you didn't see the first ones. They look really nice.

You can get them on other platforms, but Sands of Time and Sould Calibur 2 are great if you haven't already.

Giest sucks, but the platform is starved for FPS games. Timesplitters 2 is probably the best FPS on GC, but it isn't exclusive. Very goldeneye in feel, esp in multiplayer.

The best thing is that you can get most of the games dirt cheap second hand these days, except the newest ones like RE4. Under £5 for a lot of them. ($8??)

Archived