Home

How can I open a .GOB file ?

DarthKaal

Get a program called ConMan (container manager). It can also open GOO files (Mysteries of the Sith).

There are other gob extractor programs out there like JKGOB and GOBex IIRC, but ConMan is the nicest I think and is the most popular. Check Massassi.net. ;)

I've tried ConMan, and it works very well :)

But, what I'd like is to have the graphic files (textures and menu backgrounds) as easy readable files, such as .jpg for example.

Is there any way to convert the JK files?

Here is an exemple of what I'd like to have, but without the text:

jkmenu1yc.jpg

I guess the background picture itself must be somewhere in the GOB files, but only in a JK format.

Anyone knows?

Hi Kaal.

I guess the background image you are want to convert is one or more .mat file(s). Open the res2.gob in yor resource directory and just extract all .mat files included. After that convert the .mat with Mat16 and search the files after your image. Its just a assumption and I am not sure :).

I'd like to have some textures

All textures are in those .mat files. Fonts are in the .sft files, packed in res1hi.gob

Thanks a lot! It works very well for the textures! :)

For the menu backgrounds, it seems that they are in .bm format (bkforce.bm, bkmain.bm,...), which isn't supported by Mat16...

I've tried to convert them with bitmat16.9, but it doesn't work, cause it's for Dark Forces BMs.

So, now I'm sure that the menu backgrounds are .bm. How can I convert them?

It must be some kind of "JK menus creation" app, no?

One last thing about Jedi Knight and, in fact on the add-on "Mysteries of the Sith":

What I'd like to do, is pick up the cutscene (just the introduction scene), but the video files are not the same type than the JK cutscenes.

So, which one is the intro scene? And can it be read the same way of the JK scenes?

Thanks, and sorry to bother you with all that!... ;)

That's a quandry. See, JK1 used smacker video files (viewable in smacker) but MotS used SCN format I think. I don't know, but it may have been a proprietary format. I'm not sure if anyone ever created a viewer for it outside the game, honestly... sorry I couldn't be more helpful there.

Edit: I do remember though that all the cutscenes from MotS were actually stored in a zip file on the MotS CD. See, they used "game engine" scripting to create the cutscenes, and then "filmed" them into the SCN format. So if you unzip the Cutscenes.zip file you'll find a goo you can load as a level and view all the action. The only thing missing is the voice files. You can find the voices and music in the game's goo files as well, in the form of wav files and CD audio. So with some editing work, you could piece together the cutscenes and record them in a higher quality format if you like (many fans complained about the relatively low quality of the SCN videos). I imagine the low quality was done to save space to fit the whole thing on 1 cd. Similarly they compressed the audio so it was "low res" only (rather than JK1, where they had two cd's, so they had room for "high res" sound and the nice cutscenes).

• 8 years later...

Archived